Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 PM
When does fried tofu spoil?

I bought a package of fried tofu from our local asian market (it has a styrofoam bottom, and a saran wrap-like plastic covering) where they keep it in the refrigerated section. Then, I cleverly left it out overnight. The expiration date on it is Jan 25, but presumably that assumes I kept it properly refrigerated.

So - safe to eat?

ETA - shoot, I meant for this to go in Cafe Society. Could I get a forum move?

Last edited by Do Not Taunt; 01-20-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Tofu is spoiled at creation. Even frying it can't save it.

I suggest you replace it with some chicken. Chicken fries up REAL nice.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Moved to Cafe Society.

(Dried tofu and cockroaches will be all that survives the nuclear apocalypse. I'd say aproximately days, less one.)
Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Does it smell questionable? Are you planning on eating it cold?

If no to both it might be ok, but don't quote me on that - if in doubt, toss it. The pre-packaged stuff usually keeps for a few days in the fridge once opened before it starts to develop a slightly sour smell.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 AM
Throw it away when it becomes moldy.

~VOW
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Tofu doesn't spoil. Old tofu just becomes stinky tofu, which is one of the best foods known to man!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm planning to make it into a Thai red curry, which will involve heating the tofu, but not really 'cooking' it again, per se. If it smells alright this evening, I'll give it a go.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
Tofu doesn't spoil. Old tofu just becomes stinky tofu, which is one of the best foods known to man!
Stinky tofu is inoculated with specific flora, and "brewed" in tanks. The stuff growing in the back of the refrigerator probably doesn't qualify.

I've found fluffy white mold on "forgotten" fried tofu in the back of the fridge.

~VOW
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Alright, just cooked and consumed it. If I don't post in this thread tomorrow, send help
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
It's good until you don't wake up from eating it....
Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Good news: I woke up this morning all kinds of healthy.