Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Chicken In A Biskit Crackers

I bought some of these, as they were on sale and I never tasted them before.

Are they supposed to taste like Chicken? They taste like crackers that are way over salted to me.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Put tuna salad on them.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Shouting Grasshopper
Yum...one of my favorite crackers, but only once in awhile. They are very heavily seasoned. I like mine with swiss cheese.

Last edited by blondebear; 02-08-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Tuna salad with swiss cheese, just long enough in the mircrowave to make the cheese soft.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Charter Member
I used to love them as a kid. Think they're basically made with something like chicken bouillon powder, or that's how I remember them tasting.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:31 PM
I used to love those things. I haven't had them in a while.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:35 PM
They probably are made with chicken bullion which would probably explain the over-salty flavor as bullion is very heavy on salt.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:37 PM
We like 'em with cheese from a can, and with devilled ham spread.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Charter Member
Yeah, dad always liked them with spray cheese.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 PM
I like them in the same way I like Chef Boyardi mini ravioli. I know they're not good food, and would never serve them to company. Once in a while I'm feeling nostalgic and they fit the bill. I don't think though, that if they weren't a part of my past I'd try them now.

And yes, to me they don't taste so much like actual chicken as they taste like cup-a-soup mix.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 PM
BANNED
They are hands down the absolute BEST crackers in the world. I would serve them at all my parties (and do), and they are always the first to go. I can never keep a box around for more than a day or two.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Yep, they taste like they have bouillon sprinkled on top and I rather love them.

I'm reminded of the time I thought I'd try to make chicken (or bouillon at least) popcorn. It didn't work, but the idea was glorious!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
They are hands down the absolute BEST crackers in the world. I would serve them at all my parties (and do), and they are always the first to go. I can never keep a box around for more than a day or two.
They may be the best crackers in the world right now, but if Nabisco ever brings back the original Vegetable Thins-- the ones with the crackers shaped like onions, celery and bell peppers-- your claim will no longer be valid.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Mmmm. It took me years to resist CiiB crackers on an end cap. Then I'd eat the whole box and say never again... until the next time.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Charter Member
My grandmother loved these...she ate them plain.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPress View Post
Mmmm. It took me years to resist CiiB crackers on an end cap. Then I'd eat the whole box and say never again... until the next time.
And then your feet would be the size of basketballs because of all of the delicious, delicious sodium, right?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
And then your feet would be the size of basketballs because of all of the delicious, delicious sodium, right?
I already wear so-many-E's-it's-ridiculous, whaddya want?

I've never been given to issues with salt intake or fluid retention, fortunately. I don't eat snack crackers by the box anymore, either, though.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Charter Member
When they first came out back in the 60s, they were advertised on TV a lot, and they had this jingle with a hoe downie, square-dancy kind of flavor (heh):

There's a new kind of biscuit,
CHICKEN IN A BISKT,
AH HAH,
Everybody should.

And in my 12 year old (or so) mind I was wondering why they were calling a cracker a biscuit, but mostly I wondered why they didn't finish the line...
Everybody Should
Everybody should what?
So I'd go around the house singing,
"Ah Hah, everybody should" as an answer to just about everything. Cracked my Mom and her friends up pretty good.
I still sing it (to myself) when I see them in a store.
Oddly enough, I've never actually eaten one.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Oh, I used to love them. I'm not sure I could tolerate all the salt now.

But I'd try.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 PM
BANNED
I feel like a few years ago they came out with a "new and improved" formula that doubled down on the salt and halved the chicken flavor. Still the best damn things in the world.

Also, old vegetable thins were fucking amazing.

Last edited by drewtwo99; 02-08-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwendee View Post
I like them in the same way I like Chef Boyardi mini ravioli. I know they're not good food, and would never serve them to company. Once in a while I'm feeling nostalgic and they fit the bill. I don't think though, that if they weren't a part of my past I'd try them now.

And yes, to me they don't taste so much like actual chicken as they taste like cup-a-soup mix.
This. This is exactly what they taste like. I couldn't put my finger on why the flavor is so familiar.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
They may be the best crackers in the world right now, but if Nabisco ever brings back the original Vegetable Thins-- the ones with the crackers shaped like onions, celery and bell peppers-- your claim will no longer be valid.
What about the Bacon Thins? Those were pretty righteous, too.

Nabisco crackers are really the shit. When I was a kid, my uncle worked for Nabisco. Every year, my grandmother would go to visit him and bring back huge boxes of various Nabisco products (Spray cheese! Better Cheddars! Those Swiss cheese crackers. Ideal cookies---anyone remember those?) and split them among her children's families.

Yes, by the way, I was a chubby kid.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwendee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
I love 'em. They're nostalgic for me because my Nana (my mother's mother) always had them at her house & I spent many a lunchtime there. They're still good, I still occasionally buy a box, and I still each the whole box in a day or two. Plain. And then lick my cup-a-soup or bullion tasting fingers. Yum!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Same here. I can't see a box without thinking of her, one reason we always keep them stocked in the pantry.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I too enjoyed them as a kid with a little spray cheese. But I haven't had them in years. I'm just too cheap to pay Nabisco prices.

ETA, when not using cheese, I always ate them upside down so that the flavor side was on my tongue.

Last edited by Hypno-Toad; 02-11-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Those were incredible, weren't they? Just now, when you brought them up, I wondered why I hadn't seen them in a while. I guess I know now. Bummer.

Now I want some.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:30 PM
I just know that I want some now. . . with tuna, and spray and swiss cheese!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Omg you guys. You're making me want spray cheese. It's god awful stuff for you but it tastes SO good. I've been avoiding the temptation for years but now.....dammit...I don't know if I can. But no Chicken in a Biskit. They just....sound awful....
Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Oh man, vegetable thins, bacon crackers, them swiss cheese ones. The golden age of crackers. That's some good crackers right there.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 PM
I think Chicken in a Biskit tasted better back in the day-more chicken-y.
Everytime I love something, they change it.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 PM
My grandparents used to buy these. Oh god, they were so good, even just plain.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 02-11-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
I too enjoyed them as a kid with a little spray cheese. But I haven't had them in years. I'm just too cheap to pay Nabisco prices.

ETA, when not using cheese, I always ate them upside down so that the flavor side was on my tongue.
A coworker of mine said, the generic kind you get a Dollar Tree are even better. I never tasted that so I can't say myself.

I never really thought about chicken bouillon powder, but that makes sense.

Thanks for the answers.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 AM
The ingredients label for them does list "dehydrated cooked chicken," though second to last.