Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 AM
Do they make Mr. Pibb anymore?

Hello Everyone,
Shopping recently at Wally World and Publix I noticed that I don't see Mr. Pibb on the shelves there. Come to think of it I can't regiment the last time I saw it or even an advertisement for it. I recall as a kid I liked it better than Dr. Pepper and would like to have some again for old times. Do they still make it?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 AM
It's still out there (it's made by Coca Cola to compete with Dr. Pepper), although I think they've changed the name yet again — now it's Pibb Xtra in most markets.

FWIW, I'm a Pepper. And that's worth a lot!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM
They still sell it but I hardly ever see it in Wal-Mart, H-E-B, etc. Can usually find it in gas stations and Chipotle and a few other restaurants serve it.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM
I've heard that this can depend on who the distributor is in your local area. If it's Pepsi, you might see Mr. Pibb in your area, but if it's Coke, you won't. No cite, sorry.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 PM
The only place I see it now is gas station soda fountains that only have Coke products. Never was a fan, myself. Dr. Pepper and its brethren taste like medicine to me.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
fwiw, i'm a pepper. And that's worth a lot!
Count me in!

+1!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM
There was an entire episode of American Dad revolving around Mr. Pibb being discontinued.

I'm surprised to see they still apparently sell it in some areas though?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM
The sandwich shop in the building I work in has Pibb Xtra on their fountain.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 PM
I've only had it at fast food places but I can't say when or where.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Charter Member
In Michigan, it is sold at Meijer and is available at some fast food places. I know Sam's Club, which obviously is not fast food, sells it at their little cafe area.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Charter Member
In some areas, Coke did a deal with Dr. Pepper. Coke makes more money by bottling and canning Dr. Pepper than than do selling their own product.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
The only place I see it now is gas station soda fountains that only have Coke products. Never was a fan, myself. Dr. Pepper and its brethren taste like medicine to me.
Dr. Pepper and Coca Cola were both originally Victorian patent medicines.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Charter Member
Takes a lot of Moxie to ask a question like that.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Graphite is a great
Since this is mainly about soft drinks, let's go to Cafe Society from GQ.

samclem, moderator
Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
In Michigan, it is sold at Meijer and is available at some fast food places. I know Sam's Club, which obviously is not fast food, sells it at their little cafe area.
Huh, can't say I remember seeing it at Meijers, but that's not where I usually buy pop. I'll have to look for it next time I'm in their grocery half.

Sam's, well the cafe area has it as a fountain drink, right? That's not that odd, there are many places that have it as a fountain drink. Not ubiquitous, but enough that it's not like the canned/bottled varieties which might as well not exist.

Lots of places have their own generic version of Dr Pepper/Mr Pibb though, like Dr K at Krogers, etc.

BTW, is there supposed to be a period in Mr[.] Pibb or is it like Dr Pepper and period free (I know it's now Pibb Xtra, but I mean back before the change)?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM
I believe PibbXtra is one of the soda choices at Wendy's.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
BTW, is there supposed to be a period in Mr[.] Pibb or is it like Dr Pepper and period free (I know it's now Pibb Xtra, but I mean back before the change)?
They called him Mr. Pibb, or (periodically) Mr. PIBB. Originally, he went by Peppo, but Dr Pepper sued for trademark infringement.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Huh, can't say I remember seeing it at Meijers, but that's not where I usually buy pop. I'll have to look for it next time I'm in their grocery half.
12 packs of 12 oz cans only, but it is there.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Although I don't care about Mr. Pibb, I do like it. However, hoping one of you knowledgable Mr. Pibb fans can tell me if Schwepps Bitter Lemon is still being made anywhere. I used to love that stuff.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBeam View Post
I've heard that this can depend on who the distributor is in your local area. If it's Pepsi, you might see Mr. Pibb in your area, but if it's Coke, you won't. No cite, sorry.
That's not right, because Mr. Pibb is a Coke product. Some Coke bottlers will work with Dr Pepper, also.

Unsurprisingly, Mr. Pibb is quite easy to find in the state of Georgia.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 AM
It's available in Tennessee. My son knows which places have Dr Pepper and which places have Pibb.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 AM
They don't offer it at my local Mexican restaurant hangout anymore.

Used to be, we enjoyed asking about soft drinks just to hear the waitress tell us about "Meester Peeb".
Old 02-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador Deceiver View Post
That's not right, because Mr. Pibb is a Coke product. Some Coke bottlers will work with Dr Pepper, also.

Unsurprisingly, Mr. Pibb is quite easy to find in the state of Georgia.
If the same local bottler for coke also bottles Dr Pepper you will not see Mr Pibb on the shelf and Dr Pepper will be stocked with the coke products. If, however, Dr Pepper is bottled/distributed by the local Pepsi bottler the you will see Mr Pibb with the Coke Products and Dr Pepper will be shelved next to the Pepsi products. At least that's how it seems to work in here in Alabama. In the northern part of the state its all Dr Pepper (stocked with Coke), but in Birmingham you see both (Dr P stocked with Pepsi, Mr P stocked with Coke).

I have no idea how it works with 7UP since both Pepsi and Coke seem to have there own lemon/lime sodas.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Of the two workplace cafeterias where I work, the more distant one sells Pibb Xtra, while the one we usually go to does not. One of my coworkers is always enthusiastic about getting her Pibb Xtra on the rare occasions we go to the more distant cafeteria.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denquixote View Post
Although I don't care about Mr. Pibb, I do like it. However, hoping one of you knowledgable Mr. Pibb fans can tell me if Schwepps Bitter Lemon is still being made anywhere. I used to love that stuff.
Yes. We just bought some Bitter Lemon at Walmart and I've seen it in various liquor stores here in MD.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM
My supermarket has Pibb Xtra.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris the 1st View Post
If the same local bottler for coke also bottles Dr Pepper you will not see Mr Pibb on the shelf and Dr Pepper will be stocked with the coke products. If, however, Dr Pepper is bottled/distributed by the local Pepsi bottler the you will see Mr Pibb with the Coke Products and Dr Pepper will be shelved next to the Pepsi products. At least that's how it seems to work in here in Alabama. In the northern part of the state its all Dr Pepper (stocked with Coke), but in Birmingham you see both (Dr P stocked with Pepsi, Mr P stocked with Coke).

I have no idea how it works with 7UP since both Pepsi and Coke seem to have there own lemon/lime sodas.
Isn't all of Alabama served by the same bottler?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM
I just did a crossword where the clue was "Former soft drink Mr. ____" and Pibb was the answer.

The constructor needs to walk down the soda aisle of my store.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Charter Member
I just saw Pibb Xtra at a soda fountain in the past couple of days (I'm currently stuck in Minneapolis/St. Paul on business) but damn if I can't remember where exactly. It might have been a hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese Banh Mi place. My happiness in finding a Coke Freestyle machine at Moe's Southwestern Grill crowded out my other soda fountain memories, apparently.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Charter Member
I just had it today at the Sam's Club by me. It's still there.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 PM
I just had some at a restaurant fountain at dinner in St. Louis.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Charter Member
By the way, it was called Pibb Xtra, but it seemed identical to the Mr. Pibb I'm familiar with. Did they change the name? I haven't noticed if the 12 oz. can version has had the name change.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piepiepie View Post
Yes. We just bought some Bitter Lemon at Walmart and I've seen it in various liquor stores here in MD.
Pibb is also in Wegmans in MD. I would swear I have seen it as a fountain drink at a few restaurants (Pei Wei maybe?)

Last edited by Kepler1571; 02-21-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:39 PM
I know this is an old-dead thread...

However I wanted to chime in anyways incase any of you were still active on the site.

Mr. Pibb was awsome! I remember the Mr. Pibb game.. you went around burping at zombies to turn them back into students and teachers.. LOL Anyways...

Pibb Xtra sucks.. I hated it when they did away with Mr. Pibb and went to this junk they call pibb..

However a little seceret for those of you that want that old Mr. Pibb flavor back.

If you have an HEB get their store brand of 'Dr. Pepper" its like DR. B.. however it's the formula for Mr. Pibb i kidd you not..

Also their store brand of "Mt. Dew" is formula for Surge.

Both equal to their name brand counter parts I'm referencing. You wont be disappointed.

Warning though; dont get their hEB Cola.. it just sux.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Quote:
By the way, it was called Pibb Xtra, but it seemed identical to the Mr. Pibb I'm familiar with. Did they change the name? I haven't noticed if the 12 oz. can version has had the name change.
IIRC, Pibb Xtra has more caffeine.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I just had it today at the Sam's Club by me. It's still there.
Heh, get this.

Pibb was removed when I was at Sam's Club last week. Yeah, it's been replaced with Dr. Pepper.

So there goes that one. It's still in the store, though.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 PM
We were leaving a hockey game last season and there was a whole pallet of 12-packs of Dr. Wham being given away to fans after the game. We had seen Dr. Wham at Wal-Mart but never tried it because we figured it was an inferior off-brand. Well, we tried it and loved it. We buy it regularly now because it's much less expensive than Dr. P and in my opinion tastes better.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Monkey View Post
We were leaving a hockey game last season and there was a whole pallet of 12-packs of Dr. Wham being given away to fans after the game. We had seen Dr. Wham at Wal-Mart but never tried it because we figured it was an inferior off-brand. Well, we tried it and loved it. We buy it regularly now because it's much less expensive than Dr. P and in my opinion tastes better.
What is Dr. Wham? Is it a new Pepsi-brand Dr Pepper?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
My supermarket has Pibb Xtra.
Apparently it's popular around here- Wal-Mart, Kroger and Target (multiple locations of each) stock the diet Pibb Xtra around here.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Charter Member
They had Mr. Pibb available at the movie theater when I went last week. I had to explain to my son what it was since he had never heard of it.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Charter Member
In Dallas, you can't get Dr. Pepper at the movie theaters, it all about Mr. Pibb.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Charter Member
I have NEVER seen Mr. Pibb on a store shelf; ALWAYS as a fountain drink.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
According to this page, it's promoted as "The good doctorů.. Gone mad!" It appears to be available only in selected Georgia, Alabama, and Florida cities, however.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Anybody here old enough to remember Dr. Wells?
My dad worked at Pepsi and bought cases of "damaged" cans to bring home.
No one else really cared for it, but I just loved it.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIssPiBB View Post
If you have an HEB get their store brand of 'Dr. Pepper" its like DR. B.. however it's the formula for Mr. Pibb i kidd you not..

Also their store brand of "Mt. Dew" is formula for Surge.

Both equal to their name brand counter parts I'm referencing. You wont be disappointed.

Warning though; dont get their hEB Cola.. it just sux.
Wow, that's pretty cool to know. I never tried Mr. Pibb back in the day but I always look for bottles of Dr. B in the coolers at the checkout lanes of the HEB when I shop. 20oz for just $.50.

Big Red is the iconic HEB soda but give me Dr. B anyday. I'm always disappointed if the coolers are out of Dr. B, seems to be available about half the time I shop.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Apparently it's popular around here- Wal-Mart, Kroger and Target (multiple locations of each) stock the diet Pibb Xtra around here.
It's not about popularity, it's about which bottler controls that particular market.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:21 PM
I get 20 oz. bottles of PibbXtra for $.99 at the local convenience store/hardware store/deli/service station.

I think it's almost as good as Dr.Pepper which I love.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Quote:
I got out a bottle to look: Packed by Buffalo Rock Company under the authority of Sunfresh Beverages. A trip to their website makes it clear that there is some affiliation with Pepsi products.

It has limited distribution, but I'm in NC - an area that isn't mentioned at all on their list.

Last edited by Hockey Monkey; 08-04-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris the 1st View Post

Dr Pepper/7up/Big Red are an independent company, but outside their home market they contract out to Coke or Pepsi, so in places where Dr Pepper is not bottled by the local Coke plant (i.e., indie or Pepsi), you get Pibb and Sprite; when it isbottled by Coke, you get Slice or Sierra Mist (I don't think Pepsi has a DP competitor).

Here in east Texas where Dr Pepper has its own plants, we can get all of them.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:19 PM
New Name

It's called Pibb Xtra now...No "E" It tastes better than DP still, too.

┬ź Previous Thread | Next Thread ┬╗