Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 AM
So I am starting to play Crusader Kings 2. Any hints?

Crusader Kings 2 and a bunch of DLCs are on discount at Steam, so I grab the bundle. Now I am facing the daunting task of...playing the game. A friend of mine loves the series, and the way he describes it to me, Crusader Kings 2 is like the Rogue-like of turn based strategy games. One wrong move, one random mishap, and you can kiss your dynasty bye bye.

So...how do I get started? There are so many types of laws, characters, factions, levies...etc. etc. etc. Any hints for a complete newbie?
Advertisements
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Subscribing to this thread 'cause I'm in the same situation. It seems so awesome... and so daunting at the same time. I've heard starting out as a lowly minor duke vs a king is the best way to start out.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
My general advice for dealing with Paradox games. Start a game, play for a little bit. Try to figure out one place you went wrong. Start over. Repeat as necessary.

Particular advice for CK2. I would definitely advise against starting as a king. My recommendation for early games is Earl Murchad of Dublin. You only start with a single county, but will soon inherit Leinster from your elderly father. (You can learn about the intrigue system by hastening his demise). You are unlikely to face any major threats in the short term, so you can concentrate on gaining the titles and lands necessary to be crowned King of Ireland. From there, you can choose which way to go, but you'll probably be strong enough to either obtain land on Crusades or to make a run for Emperor of Brittania.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM
The tutorials were actually pretty good, in terms of learning how the interface works. With recent updates, I understand they've become less useful as some of the buttons have been moved around.

Nearly everyone recommends playing an Irish earl, which is a fine choice. For my own first game, I actually started out as Duke of Bohemia. You're a vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor with a reasonably-sized territory, so you're relatively secure from being instantly obliterated. Most of your own vassals are loyal and happy, except for a couple of troublesome ones who are easily mollified. You've also got an immediate objective of forming the Duchy of Moravia, so you can get a handle on how titles are created. For territorial expansion, you can look to Poland or Hungary, who will be faced with some early rebellions.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Good choice on an excellent game.

AS mentioned Ireland is a good choice to start off with, you can learn the ropes without too many threats to you.

The most helpful tip is to look at the tool tips that come up when you hover over things, they explain a large amount of the game.

One of the first things to look at is your succession law. You generally start with gavelkind where your titles are split between your children. This is a difficult law to work with, and although there are ways of dealing with it you are probably best off at first changing to elective or primogeniture. With elective you can choose the best candidate, do you have idiot children but an amazing uncle? Then choose him. However you need to keep good relations with your vassals otherwise someone not of your dynasty might be chosen. With primogeniture the succession is more stable, since someone of your dynasty will be chosen, but you had better hope that your first born son isn't an fool, in which case you might need to arrange an "accident".

To expand you are going to need claims. You can marry into titles and claims but to start with it is easiest to send your chancellor to fabricate a claim.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Some extreme basics:

You control your demesne. This is your personal holdings, and you only get so many even if you're the grand high mega-Emperor. Economic action only takes place on the Barony or County level.

Counties are individual map bits; baronies are the individual squares in them that represent cities, monasteries, or castles. Each County *also* has it's "top-level" holidng that represents the County itself, which is almost always a castle, but can be a city in rare cases - you see this around Italy especially.

In most cases, you want to control as many holdings as possible before hitting your demesne limit. If you look in the top-right portion, you'll see a number like 3/5 or 7/8 or something. This says how many holdings you have, and how many you can posess without hitting nasty economic penalties. Always aim to control as many as possible unless you really know what you're doing.

On the intrigue screen, you can unleash plots. These are good for getting yourself up to the county maximum, because you almost always have access to a plot if it would net you a holding instantly. (I have no idea how the hell the game designs plots, as it's something of a sore point for me that I can't create my own at will). It's easy to use - just pick the plot and start adding people to the party. You want to get your evil schemes over 100% in most cases.

If you intend to keep control over a holding, it can be a good idea to invest in making it more profitable. You can invest in each holding to add structures, and each structure gives you more money, defensivness, soldiers, or other special bonuses. The money-gaining ones are a really good investment until it starts costing 200 - 300, and then they're worth it for the long haul only. As you invest in the cash some more, you should also start buying troop-producing structures to get more soldiers.

When it comes to warfare, there's some odd bits to understand. You get Levies and Garrison troops. Levies are dudes you can roll around and kill with. Garrison troops just sit there until they get beseiged down. The more Garrison troops, the longer it will take for an enemy to defeat you - defenses like walls and such affect this as well. In order to even start beseiging, you need to outnumber the garrison, plus any levies still sitting at home.

Usually, wars follow several patterns: once war is declared, both side try to raise as many soldiers as possible, then the AI goes completely bonkers and makes as many possible Epic Fails as it can. It's especially bad at handling big stacks of units in hostile territory.

In any case, what you want to do is concentrate your forces ASAP, and hit the enemy with everything possible. Try to run around smacking little units and avoiding their big troop concentrations - attack when you have them outnumbered as least two-to-one if possible, and hire mercenaries if you can afford them to wear down the enemy without really costing you any soldiers, then disband the mercs after slaughtering the enemy armies. Then settle in and seige anything vulnerable or which is the object of your war effort. Take the slow way and seige targets instead of atacking unless you have an overwhelming advantage (like 10-to-1). Depending on the war, the AI will usually surrender at between 80%-100%.

Beware of things like Holy Wars - they sound great and can net you huge territorial gains, but the AI can and will rope in shocking numbers of allies. I think I once had to wipe out about three times my numbers in better-tech'd enemy soldiers, and only managed it through the use of Holy Orders, calling up every single soldier I could lay my paws on, keeping them active dangerously long, and chewing the enemy up peicemeal. That said, remember that you don't have to *win* the war if it's going against you. Just surviving it often enough.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post
(I have no idea how the hell the game designs plots, as it's something of a sore point for me that I can't create my own at will).
Not entirely true. You can always create a plot to assassinate someone by going to their character screen. This is different from assassination button, where you simply pay money for the chance at killing them.

While war is the most straightforward way to expand your holdings, one thing that hasn't been made explicit is that you need a valid casus belli to go to war. Some of these relatively easy to understand, like the Holy War against non-believers. Or a territory could be de jure considered a part of yours. You could send your chancellor to outright fabricate a claim. Someone in your court could have a claim and you can go to war in their name. Be careful in this last instance, because the other person gets the holding, not you. This is fine if you are a king and they are (or will become) a count; when you win the war, they will still count as your vassal. But if you are a duke and are waging a war for someone else's claim on another duchy, they will be released released from vassalage when you win the war, since a duke can't be a vassal of another duke.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 PM
There are several things I reccomend you do regularly in CK2. Do it day 1 of your campaign and every few months thereafter.

(1) Identify your resources. How many soldier do you have? How much money? What are your titles and possible claims and such. How good are your advisors? Do you have several potential heirs and are they safe (i.e. hostile and weak or loyal and strong?) or can you make hostile and powerful ones safe with gifts?

(2) If you've got any simple weaknesses (bad advisors who won't be too miffed if you drop them, patch it. Invest in expanding your resources and buy buildings.

(3) What are your external threats? Whom should you be scared of? Who just plain doesn't like you? Who might have claims on your land? Where are your opportuinities - is there a bright, sexy young Duchess with land bordering your kingdom?

(4) Work it to your advantage. Send your daughters to marry their sons and/or vice versa. Build some worthwhile alliances with nearby states; even small ones can be surprisingly helpful if you get into a tough war. Even a thousand soldiers can swing things in your favor. Don't' forget that you can use Betrothals to snatch up good matches years before ityou need them.

(5) What are your internal threats? Which vassals are dangerous disloyal? Who needs to be cut down to size? Do you have any family members with shocking levels of Intrigue, the Ambitious trait, and a murderous disposition?

(6) Improve relations. Butter up your vassals with gifts, release any prisoners who can be soothed, send your spymaster to end any Factions rising and displmate to build relations with vassals. Rearrange provinces if necessary and if you can avoid pissing off other vassals.

It sounds alike a lot, but it's surprisingly easy once you get into the habit. And checking regularly will usually be all you need to avoid disaster and to slowly improve your position.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar of Irony +3 View Post
A friend of mine loves the series, and the way he describes it to me, Crusader Kings 2 is like the Rogue-like of turn based strategy games. One wrong move, one random mishap, and you can kiss your dynasty bye bye.
I would actually disagree with this somewhat. Compared to most other grand strategy type games, CK2 is actually quite forgiving of mistakes or bad luck early on. The game ending events of dying without an heir or losing all your titles are fairly easy to avoid and short of that there's not much to stop you from clawing your way back up. In fact, some of the most satisfying games I've played are ones where I've gone from a count to a king and and back again. There's a few sort of pigeonholes you can get stuck in, especially with the (IMHO) overly powerful HRE, but otherwise playing straight through and just rolling with what happens is pretty fun.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Resurrecting this thread to mention that this game and most of the DLC is on sale on Steam for 75% off until May 30 ($9.99 for the basic game, $19.99 for everything). I'm downloading it right now.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I just picked it up as well.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:21 PM
There's a slighty more recent, active thread about the game over here:

http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/...d.php?t=685709

I dunno if it's worth merging these.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:14 PM
http://reddit.com/r/Games/commen...treme_release/
Old 05-28-2013, 10:49 PM
So I've watched a YouTube tutorial video, I played some of the in-game tutorial, and I still have no fucking clue what I'm doing, but I'm still having a pretty good time fooling around with it.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
So I've watched a YouTube tutorial video, I played some of the in-game tutorial, and I still have no fucking clue what I'm doing, but I'm still having a pretty good time fooling around with it.
I've started watching a YouTube series on it as well, and it's been helping me be more efficient on what I do. For example, declaring war doesn't mean I have to fabricate claims all the time. I can look at the naturally-occurring duchies/kingdoms and what not and use those as a casus belli. I need to get better with familial relationships, though. Who should I be marrying off, and when? Also, I get the feel that I'm very ham-handed with my economy/taxation.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah, the YouTube vids are extremely helpful, and pretty entertaining as well. I've watched the first few by Eviscerator03. They're quite long (up to an hour) but he describes everything in good detail, without getting into a ton of boring minutiae.

I'm finding that basic gameplay is a lot simpler than it appears to be; learning everything takes a while but most of it is just small steps. Kind of reminds me of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games; while ROTK's warfare is a lot more important and in-depth, it's the politics and scheming in that game that I like, and that seems to be what CK2 is all about.

Now, a question for people more experienced with this game: how important is it who I marry my vassals and court members to? I'm kind of willy-nilly about it; when someone comes to me and asks me to help them get married, I just pick pretty much anyone off the list. If I set up a marriage between, say, one of my vassals' sons and, I don't know, the daughter of the King of England, is that going to bite me in the ass somewhere down the line (I'm currently an Irish Duke, and slowly working my way towards becoming King of Ireland)?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Getting good marriages for your vassals and councilors and so on is important for a few reasons.

1) If your guys have an ambition to get married and you set up a marriage for them, they're going to like you more.

2) Traits are semi-hereditary. If your marshal marries some courier who is also a skilled warrior, the odds are pretty good that their kid is going to be a pretty good warrior. There's a lot of randomness, though. Plus, your courtiers having kids is how you keep your court going strong through the generations.

3) Marriages bring females into your court, and they can educate your children (thus passing on desirable traits and skills). Be wary of marrying a useful female courtier off, though, since she'll leave you for some other ruler's court.

The best I can tell, marrying into important families has a few affects. First is that you might end up getting some weak claims on their lands that you can press down the line. Second is that you might end up in an alliance. That seems to be bad more than good, since I get turned down a lot when I want help in a battle, but those big kingdoms are constantly trying to get you to participate in a war.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 05-30-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 PM
I found this LP very helpful to get me started: http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/
Old 05-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
The best I can tell, marrying into important families has a few affects. First is that you might end up getting some weak claims on their lands that you can press down the line. Second is that you might end up in an alliance. That seems to be bad more than good, since I get turned down a lot when I want help in a battle, but those big kingdoms are constantly trying to get you to participate in a war.
They'll help you assuming you don't get into a really stupid war, they're not overburdened with one already, and you have decent relations. And there's nothing which says you can't ally, go to war on your son in law's behalf, and do nothing whatsoever to fight it.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Second is that you might end up in an alliance. That seems to be bad more than good, since I get turned down a lot when I want help in a battle, but those big kingdoms are constantly trying to get you to participate in a war.
Ah, but a powerful ally that's constantly asking you to join their tiny wars can be very helpful. You get +25 relations every time you join one of their wars, so once you've joined a few, you've got a very reliable ally that's practically guaranteed to join the next war you call them into.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 PM
I don't pay much attention to whom I marry off courts members, and it never came back to bite me on the ass, AFAIK. The exception being male members of my dynasty whom I always try to marry with someone with some potential (say, the daughter of someone vaguely important. Even if you don't follow them closely later as I do (in particular by providing spouses if they need one so that they can expand the dynasty), they can randomly end up with some title somewhere, and this give you points. I've had very remote cousins ending up as kings on their own.

Something I often do is marrying off unneeded people with good stats to members of the court of vassals, in particular vassal cities. *Especially* people with good stewardship, since the mayor will be picked first amongst the male members of the city's court. *Don't* marry off someone with a different religion/culture in one of your cities, in order to avoid having to deal with Russian Orthodox mayors who will dislike you for being Irish Catholic, and won't let you raise their children, either, resulting in a string of mayors who hate you.

I pay attention to whom I marry them in, obviously, always picking potential spouses with very high stats for obvious reasons. It's better to pick people from the same culture again for obvious reasons (malus preventing you from picking them as, say, bishops, can't be given children to raise because they would turn them into foreigners....). Note that if they receive a title the wife/matrilineal husband of your courtier will leave with spouse and children. Not a big problem, but it's better to expect it if your courtier married a princess or something.

Note that according to experienced players, the birth rate falls when your court is too crowded. And the likelihood of disease goes up. So, "unload" whoever you don't need or expect to need by marrying them off, using matrilineal marriage if they're male so that the birth rate of actually important people will stay high. I usually try to stay at 30 courtiers or less, but I've had courts with more than 80 of them. Unload females in particular since when they reach 40, they become useless except as tutors and you're stuck with them until they die of old age.

Last edited by clairobscur; 05-30-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Also, remember that if you're marrying off close relative, they keep claims on your domain. So, if you don't marry them for an alliance but just for prestige points, make sure their spouse is living very far away. For instance, if you're playing in France, marry your daughter to some prince of the Rurik dynasty, who will give plenty of prestige but will never try to enforce the claim.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Cross-posted from the other thread...

I just snagged this on Steam, and I haven't played it yet, but how long does a single king's reign last in this game, anyway? Would it be fun to have a game where we pass the savegame around our players here, each player taking the role of a single king and passing the save on when that king dies? We used to do that with Medieval II Total War, and it was a lot of fun.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Cool. Thanks! I'm getting obsessed with this game...

Hey, anybody picked up The Old Gods yet?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:57 PM
I haven't yet - I still have plenty to wrap my head around on the base game. Haven't even tried to play as a Muslim or Merchant Prince yet.

I'll probably wait for an inevitable sale and pick it up on the cheap.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 PM
FTR for new players, the four reasons to marry someone :

-For reproduction : you want to marry someone with the highest stats possible, in order to "breed" a strong dynasty
-For prestige : you want to marry someone very important from a famous dynasty to gain more prestige than you'd accumulate in a lifetime if you're a lowly count/duke (or not to lose prestige if you're powerful)
-For alliance : you want to marry someone from a neighboring relatively powerful family so that they'll help you in war
-For inheritance/claims : you want to marry someone who is likely to inherit a title (maybe with the help of your spymaster) or have a claim that you intend to enforce.

Unfortunately, those goals are generally mutually exclusive. None is better than the others in itself.

In case you didn't notice it, you're not limited to the potential spouses listed when you click on the "rings" icon. You can browse the full character list in search of a hidden gem and propose a marriage via the diplomacy screen. But of course, this is time consuming.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Cool. Thanks! I'm getting obsessed with this game...

Hey, anybody picked up The Old Gods yet?

I did but didn't try to play as a viking or pagan dynasty, which is the point. However, I bought it because while reading about The Old Gods, I mistakenly understood that it allowed you to begin the game as a landless character ( a viking warband chief, for instance) or as a mercenary leader. It is not the case.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
However, I bought it because while reading about The Old Gods, I mistakenly understood that it allowed you to begin the game as a landless character ( a viking warband chief, for instance) or as a mercenary leader. It is not the case.
I saw that bit as well. So what's the deal then?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Even if you're not particularly interested in playing as a pagan, one reason to pick up The Old Gods is to push the start date back to 867. It's an interesting start: the Christian lands in Hispania are still united as Asturias, there's no France, no England, and most notably no Holy Roman Empire. The Byzantine Empire is quite a bit stronger and you probably have a good shot at reuniting the true Roman Empire.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleciders View Post
Cross-posted from the other thread...

I just snagged this on Steam, and I haven't played it yet, but how long does a single king's reign last in this game, anyway? Would it be fun to have a game where we pass the savegame around our players here, each player taking the role of a single king and passing the save on when that king dies? We used to do that with Medieval II Total War, and it was a lot of fun.
The game lasts about 400 years or so. A single king's reign can be anything from 60 years or so to 6 seconds. I just had a game where I was king of Poland, took over another duchy close to me, got overthrown and put in jail, schemed to get out and overthrow the one that overthrew me, then became king again. Now I'm trying to stabilize and build before going after something close by, because I think getting kicked off screwed my succession rules to gavelkind, and I think that's something I REALLY don't want, but I'm not sure how to fix it. My king is 68 years old right now, with 3085 prestige and 1085 piety.

I think I'm doing good.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Quote:
I saw that bit as well. So what's the deal then?
The deal is that whoever wrote what we read was mistaken. There are landless viking leaders, but you can't play one. At least not with the vanilla game. But I guess that since the concept is implemented some mod will give yous the opportunity to do so in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Even if you're not particularly interested in playing as a pagan, one reason to pick up The Old Gods is to push the start date back to 867. It's an interesting start: the Christian lands in Hispania are still united as Asturias, there's no France, no England, and most notably no Holy Roman Empire.
Most notably, indeed. But I started a new game (playing a Dutch count), it's only 879 and East Francia already took over Italy, the South of Lotharingia and all of West Francia except Paris that is an isolated island owned by the king of Aquitaine in a Germanic sea. I don't know how it will evolve, nor if it's going to be typical or atypical, but for now, it's at least as bad as the HRE after only 12 years.

Ho!...and viking raids are a major pain in the ass if you live anywhere near the North Sea.

Last edited by clairobscur; 05-30-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Least Original User Name Ever View Post
The game lasts about 400 years or so. A single king's reign can be anything from 60 years or so to 6 seconds. I just had a game where I was king of Poland, took over another duchy close to me, got overthrown and put in jail, schemed to get out and overthrow the one that overthrew me, then became king again. Now I'm trying to stabilize and build before going after something close by, because I think getting kicked off screwed my succession rules to gavelkind, and I think that's something I REALLY don't want, but I'm not sure how to fix it. My king is 68 years old right now, with 3085 prestige and 1085 piety.

I think I'm doing good.

And to give the contrary example, the first ruler I played in my current game was quickly drafted to fight against Bavaria or something, was wounded, and subsequently died. In game time, he ruled for less than two years, in real time almost half an hour because since I was beginning the game I was checking everything, marrying people, etc...Otherwise it would have been closer to 5 minutes. Fortunately he had sons.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM
I keep getting the "Demesne Too Big" thing. It's only at 4/3, and the way I see it having direct control over my counties is worth the -10 opinion hit, which can be easily made up with bribes gifts, and if my vassals don't like it, they can take it up with the axeman.

..right?

OTOH, they're complaining about their levies being too high, but they won't vote to lower them. WTF?!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I keep getting the "Demesne Too Big" thing. It's only at 4/3, and the way I see it having direct control over my counties is worth the -10 opinion hit, which can be easily made up with bribes gifts, and if my vassals don't like it, they can take it up with the axeman.

..right?
Up to a point. An extra county ( or duchy if you're a king, which otherwise can only hold a max of two before taking diplomatic penalties ) is not a big deal and can be useful especially if you're planning ahead to set up a son. However going over your demesne limit not only decreases income via a financial penalty ( for every one over the limit and in every demesne ) and cause diplomatic penalties of -10 per for every vassal, but it also starts triggering unhappy events like thieves guilds, peasant revolts and smuggler rings in individual provinces. The more over the limit you are the more these events start popping up, including personally targeted ones that can stress and fuck over your overburdened ruler ( and very occasionally improve him, if he successfully rises to the challenge ).

So the equivalent of a barony or two extra? Can sometimes be worth the hassle. Several baronies extra? Usually not worth it, except perhaps short term in unusual conditions ( you are going to hand them over to someone very soon and are trying to hold on until then ).

Last edited by Tamerlane; 05-30-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:46 AM
By the way, regarding the "domaine too big" issue, IMO stewardship is the most useful char. Not only can you rule a larger demesne, but also you get more money from each fief, which means more everything ultimately.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:35 AM
So how aggressive should I be?

Through some good fortune and shrewd planning I now find myself with a sizable, powerful army with which I could probably quite easily sweep all the way across Ireland very quickly. But is that wise? Is that just going to piss everybody off and make them join together against me?

That said, I'm finding warfare to be pretty dull. Like I said before I know that's not what this game is about (and I like that about it), but I could definitely use a little more action than just moving my armies into the opposing county and waiting.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 AM
There's no need to fight for all of Ireland. Once you've proclaimed yourself King, you can just go to the still-independent counts and ask them if you want to be your vassal. They'll probably agree if you haven't shown yourself to be too much of a bloodthirsty warmonger. And they'll probably like you more than if you had outright conquered them. Plus there's no need to wait around for a casus belli.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Quote:
So how aggressive should I be?

Through some good fortune and shrewd planning I now find myself with a sizable, powerful army with which I could probably quite easily sweep all the way across Ireland very quickly. But is that wise? Is that just going to piss everybody off and make them join together against me?
You want to be fairly aggressive. In the first century or so of the game, the small independent duchies and counties tend to get gobbled up. If you leave independent counties in Ireland, Scotland and England will start trying to grab them. You should try to create the Kingdom of Ireland as quickly as possible and start trying to grab the independent holdings in Wales and Scotland before the King of England or Scotland starts doing it. Also, once you control enough of the Irish counties and create the Kingdom of Ireland you should be able to vassalize the remaining independent counties without a fight.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:50 AM
Cool.

I still need one more county before I can create the Kingdom title (I control 46% of Ireland), and I'm currently stuck on creating a claim somewhere. I don't have anyone I can marry off, but my diplomat is very good, he's come through every time before.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Incidentally, over in the other thread, we're organizing a succession game of CKII, where one player runs a character then, when he dies, passes the savegame on to the next player who will play their successor. Hop on over if you want to join in. We're currently deciding where we want to start.

http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/...1#post16336751
Old 05-31-2013, 01:08 PM
I think everyone, because of those videos, starts off on Ireland. Apparently, they call Ireland "noob island". I have a save file in Ireland and one in Poland right now, and both are going along well right now.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Ireland seems to be an ideal training ground. It's small, it's mostly isolated from the rest of Europe, and the big boys in Great Britain are still occupied with each other.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Ireland seems to be an ideal training ground. It's small, it's mostly isolated from the rest of Europe, and the big boys in Great Britain are still occupied with each other.
It seems like I'm able to get arranged marriages rolling to/from Ethiopia pretty well, so it is my goal, in pretty much every game, to make Ireland into "Little Ethiopia". I already have a black king of Ireland right now as I clean up the last few counties, and I'm not sure if either of the Ethiopian provinces have white kings yet.

My soldiers even have Etiopian skins (har har), and I can build Ethiopian training places to make light infantry more effective. Also, some of my towns have an Arab tileset.

Also, because of marriages, I currently have a weak claim on the county of Rennes, the Duchy of Brittany, aaaaaaand the Byzantine Empire. I had some Ethiopian claims before, but those went away.

Last edited by Least Original User Name Ever; 05-31-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Least Original User Name Ever View Post
My soldiers even have Etiopian skins (har har), and I can build Ethiopian training places to make light infantry more effective. Also, some of my towns have an Arab tileset.
These vary based on your ruler culture. Note that if you swap culture, you *lose* culture buildings. This really sucks if you had a lot invested in them. Your vassals may be unhappy with your culture if they don't share it, which can push some marginally displeased peeps over the line into outright rebellion.

Culture can also factor into what Empires you can declare - these are *not* map based as Kingdoms and Duchies are.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:25 PM
My next king is an Irish Catholic, but his heir is Ethiopian again, I think. This is kind of fun.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post
These vary based on your ruler culture. Note that if you swap culture, you *lose* culture buildings.
This is another hidden trap of an England start. If you're Saxon or Norwegian you can build housecarl buildings for extra heavy infantry + bonuses, if you're Norman, jousting yards ( or whatever they're called ) for extra knights. But if you then go along with that scripted to conversion to an English culture, say bye-bye - you have to start over with longbow whatevers for those extra archers/bonuses.

For that reason you should put off building those specialty buildings until you are sure you've locked yourself into the general cultural milieu you prefer.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 05-31-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
This is another hidden trap of an England start. If you're Saxon or Norwegian you can build housecarl buildings for extra heavy infantry + bonuses, if you're Norman, jousting yards ( or whatever they're called ) for extra knights. But if you then go along with that scripted to conversion to an English culture, say bye-bye - you have to start over with longbow whatevers for those extra archers/bonuses.

For that reason you should put off building those specialty buildings until you are sure you've locked yourself into the general cultural milieu you prefer.
On that note, the combat mechanics heavily favor heavy infantry. They're damn near the best thing you can have, from a cost-effectiveness point of view. Archers are good, and cavalry is solid, but armies that favor them would likely beaten by heavy infantry-focused armies in battle. (Horse archers rock the most, but they're expensive and hard to come by. Most cultures get none whatsoever.)

http://ckiiwiki.com/Levies#Unit_Types
Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Sorry, I realized the above may not be as clear as it could be. Basically, the Melee phase is the most important, and archers are nearly useless. In theory, enough archers can soften up the enemy in the Skirmish phase, but it's extremely rare for that to matter as much as the Melee phase. The Pursue phase only happens if you start routing the enemy; you get jack squat otherwise. So your most cost-effective army-building strategy is to focus on heavy Infantry. They're your bread-n-butter melee unit. Heavy Cavalry, Light Infantry, and Archers are good to buy second, although I will often start developing a holding by grabbing some more Archers and Light Infantry via the Militia Training Grounds and Archery Range structures, just to get some bulk for my forces. Archers and Light Infantry are cheap, and every one which takes a hit is a Heavy Infantryman who lives to fight next combat round.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 PM
Okay, so I became King of Ireland and weaseled a foothold in Wales (I married my brother to the Duchess of one of the Welsh counties) and they produced an heir of my dynasty.

But then my guy died of old age, and my son was a decent leader but he got maimed in battle helping his uncle in Wales and died after less than 10 years in power, but luckily he did have an heir (though it's a daughter), and further luckily she came of age just a month after her father died. So now I am the Queen of Ireland, but there was a revolt and a lot of plotting against me for being a female ruler and revoking a few titles, and while I crushed the revolt and resolved the plots against me, now all my vassals despise me for being a tyrant.

The Queen is still quite young (23), I've married her matrilineally to a Scottish prince, and produced multiple children. Should I just wait out the tyranny, or is there something proactive I can do about it? I've spread around all the money that's going to help and the vassals' opinions of me are still WAY below zero.

BUT: I noticed that the new nobles I invite into my court are not affected by the tyrannical actions that caused all of my vassals to hate me, and have quite a good opinion of me, so tell me whether this is a good plan: revoke ALL titles, imprison, execute, or banish all of my current vassals and ill-opinioned courtiers, and just bring in a whole new court. Is that genius or madness?
Old 06-01-2013, 01:33 AM
A plan even more genius-or-madness: assassinate yourself .

I kid, of course. I don't think you can do that.

I'm going to start a succession thread shortly.