Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Does ibuprofen make you feel "good?"

I'm a basically healthy 42YO male. I get a headache once in a while, and I pop an Advil to deal with it. Over time I've come to realize that 30-40 minutes later, after the headache is gone, I feel really good. It's unclear to me whether this is just because my head doesn't hurt anymore, or or because the ibuprofen really does address some sort of previously unnoticed background discomfort/inflammation throughout my whole body. I just feel...relaxed, stress-free, untroubled...difficult to describe in words. Like waking up from a really good night's sleep, that kind of "oh yeah, that's what I needed" feeling.

Is that just me? Or have you noticed the same thing when you take ibuprofen?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Charter Member
Sadly, no, though I do get a tiny buzz when I chew aspirin.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Nope, never noticed that, and I got prescribed like a million MGs of it once for back pain. Weird thing was it's so chalky white, but it tasted like black licorice.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
I have never received a buzz from ibuprofen
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
I don't notice a difference if I'm awake and doing stuff, but at night if I can't sleep I'll take some ibuprofen and it makes me de-stress and able to fall asleep. Like you I think it just tamps down background aches and stiffness which makes me much more relaxed.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Nope. I just notice after a while that whatever pain I took it for is gone/reduced. I can't say that it induces any general feeling of well-being.

In your case, I suppose it could just be the contrast--if you've been hurting for a while, just not hurting can feel pretty damn good. Or maybe it's an interval when the pain has faded, but you've got some endorphins lingering. It could even be just what you said, that you have some low-grade baseline discomfort that you're not consciously aware of, and it eases that along with your headache.

Your description of the sensation is not unlike something I've experienced from a slight oxygen jag. Do you have sinus or respiratory issues? Maybe if you have some chronic inflammation there, ibuprofen improves your breathing.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Occassionally when I take Iboprofen, especially the liquid-gel, I notice about a half hour later I feel like I popped a hydrocodone. It is not as intense and only lasts an hour or so, but I certainly feel it. I also am sure it's not a contrast effect because I was taking them for tooth aches and the relief is different there.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I get that. I'm a tense person so I guess I have a lot of chronic background discomfort. I can tell when Advil starts working because I get warm shivers up the back of my neck. It's so marked that I can take Advil as a sleeping pill and it usually works.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Nope, I wish. I'm very prone to headaches, muscle tension and aches, and menstrual cramps, so I eat more Ibuprofen than I do candy. While it does wonders to ease my physical pain/discomfort, I've never noticed any other positive effects.

Adderall, now...
Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedda Rosa View Post
I don't notice a difference if I'm awake and doing stuff, but at night if I can't sleep I'll take some ibuprofen and it makes me de-stress and able to fall asleep. Like you I think it just tamps down background aches and stiffness which makes me much more relaxed.
Same for me.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Yup, makes me pain-free and slightly high.

Like others here I also use it as a sleep aid on occasion, as it takes away all those tiny aches and pains that make me uncomfortable.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Damn, some of you are lucky. High off Ibuprofen? I can barely get high off a bottle of Robitussin.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM
No, but because the brain areas for emotional pain piggybacked on the brain areas for physical pain it was found that tylenol helps numb you to emotional pain as well as physical pain.

http://sciencedaily.com/releases...1222154742.htm

I don't know if that is what you are experiencing, but it is possible that plays a role.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Nope -- and anymore I haven't even found it to help my headaches.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Nope, mostly I get to the point where my lower back is just angry with the rest of the body rather than trying to get a violent divorce from it.

Being able to breathe again after an attack of non-allergies does feel real good, but only in the "man, you don't realize how important it is to breathe until you stop being able to do it effortlessly" kind of way.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Charter Member
I'm surprised people are talking about a 'buzz' from ibuprofen. However, I have to agree with you in that in my experience; taking an ibuprofen has more benefits than just as an anti-inflammatory. I have a friend who is a talker. He's not capable of telling you he crossed the street. He first has to tell you where he grew up, resulting in his choice of clothes to get the interview for the job that led him to go to lunch and had to cross a street to get there. Sometimes I just can't listen to it. It drives me crazy. A colleague mine suggested taking a couple of Advil. Lo and Behold... it has worked more than once to take the edge of things that irritate me. As far as I'm concerned it's a miracle drug. But I've never felt a noticeable buzz from it.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedda Rosa View Post
mmmmm Advil PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM
I don't want to advocate taking unnecessary medication, but have any of you who experience this buzz taken ibuprofen without having any prior symptoms? That might help isolate the effect.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
I don't want to advocate taking unnecessary medication, but have any of you who experience this buzz taken ibuprofen without having any prior symptoms? That might help isolate the effect.
And to add to it, maybe buy some homeopathic medicine (i.e., sugar pills) and have your S.O. or someone give you a random pill (advil vs. sugar pill) but not tell you which one you are taking.

ETA: perhaps trying to match capsule shape as much as possible in the selection of brands...

Last edited by Pasta; 02-27-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) gives me a bit of a heady buzz but not ibuprofen.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:49 PM
BANNED
Is feeling more relaxed and less stressful really a "buzz"? I think pain relievers do tend to make me feel more relaxed and calm but I certainly wouldn't call it a buzz.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Over time I've come to realize that 30-40 minutes later, after the headache is gone, I feel really good. It's unclear to me whether this is just because my head doesn't hurt anymore, or or because the ibuprofen really does address some sort of previously unnoticed background discomfort/inflammation throughout my whole body. I just feel...relaxed, stress-free, untroubled...difficult to describe in words. Like waking up from a really good night's sleep, that kind of "oh yeah, that's what I needed" feeling.

Is that just me? Or have you noticed the same thing when you take ibuprofen?
I get the exact same feeling after taking ibuprofen. It's lovely. I always just assumed it was the relief of my head not hurting anymore, but this thread suggest that's not the case. Huh.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 PM
I've never had any kind of buzz from it, but many times I take it just to quiet down my body - I am a pretty intense person so it shuts off some of the noise sometimes. I'm hyper-aware of every single ache and pain too, so perhaps that's why.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 PM
I have gotten that on occasion though not regularly whenever I take that stuff. Though I have had other similar feeling from getting relief from discomfort such as after throwing up and the sick feeling goes away.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
I have heard long distance hikers on the Appalachian Trail call it "Vitamin I".
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
Is feeling more relaxed and less stressful really a "buzz"? I think pain relievers do tend to make me feel more relaxed and calm but I certainly wouldn't call it a buzz.
For clarification's sake, ibuprofen makes me euphoric. Joyous. Maybe it's an absence of physical and emotional pain, but it's not the same calming effect I get, say, from my citalopram, or the contentment of a good drink and a hockey game.

Balance, I never take ibuprofen without prior symptoms, and I try not to take it more than three days in a row. No reason. Just arbitrary self-rules.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Not even a little bit. Much of the time it doesn't even do a very good job reducing my pain.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 PM
I've never noticed anything except pain subsiding, and sometimes not even that.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:26 PM
No, not from ibuprofen.

I do, however, get a really weird post-migraine numbness in my brain after I take Excedrin XS aka Excedrin Migraine. I've always figured it was from the caffeine that's in it because the only reason I get migraines is 24 hours after I quit drinking caffeinated beverages.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReticulatingSplines View Post
Damn, some of you are lucky. High off Ibuprofen? I can barely get high off a bottle of Robitussin.
I wouldn't quite say "high," but it definitely helps my sense of well-being. Then again, I have several chronic minor aches and pains, so it's pretty much always relieving something.

This article may be relevant. Surprised it's so old--I could have sworn I just saw this in a major news outlet.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 PM
The only thing ibuprofen does for me is irritate my stomach. So it makes me feel "bad", not "good".
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 PM
I have noticed this, but for me the effect is subtle enough that I never thought of it as anything other than relief at the pain being gone.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 PM
I notice feeling good effect.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysler View Post
For clarification's sake, ibuprofen makes me euphoric. Joyous. Maybe it's an absence of physical and emotional pain, but it's not the same calming effect I get, say, from my citalopram, or the contentment of a good drink and a hockey game.
I don't think it's that big a deal, but taking Ibuprofen and Citalopram together is contra-indicated, I think it can stop the Citalopram working so well.

Doesn't stop me doing it occasionally, but I usually try another painkiller first.

(I'm not a doctor or pharmacist).
Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
mmmmm Advil PM.
Maybe this is relevant for the OP.

Advil PM isn't just ibuprofen. It's ibuprofen + diphenhydramine (commonly known as Benedryl).

Similarly, there's Tylenol PM, a combination of acetaminophen (a.k.a. paracetamol) + diphenhydramine.

So maybe, if someone's getting a little buzz, perhaps you're taking one of the many versions of ibuprofen or acetaminophen with diphenhydramine mixed in.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan
I don't think it's that big a deal, but taking Ibuprofen and Citalopram together is contra-indicated, I think it can stop the Citalopram working so well.
Yeah, thanks for the heads up, that's another reason to not take it too often.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Maybe this is relevant for the OP.

Advil PM isn't just ibuprofen. It's ibuprofen + diphenhydramine (commonly known as Benedryl).

Similarly, there's Tylenol PM, a combination of acetaminophen (a.k.a. paracetamol) + diphenhydramine.

So maybe, if someone's getting a little buzz, perhaps you're taking one of the many versions of ibuprofen or acetaminophen with diphenhydramine mixed in.
Not in my case. It's definitely just plain Advil, with ibuprofen as the only active ingredient.

I guess I'm trying to sort out whether my good feeling is:

A)a contrast effect from having my headache taken away;

B)a real effect due to ibuprofen eliminating every other little ache and pain throughout my body;

or

C)a real, psychoactive effect of ibuprofen.

Based on the anecdotes provided so far, it's starting to look like B or C, with C being possibly more likely.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Ibuprofen thins the blood, maybe that is what everyone is feeling?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:57 AM
I agree that maybe because it thins the blood the heart doesn't have to work as hard. I find it helps me exercise and sleep. It also hels with restlessnes during meditation. I frst really noticed it when I was at a meditation retreat and got my period. After taking Advil for my cramps I noticed my meditations were much easier. I could relax and sit still and just feel great vs feeling restless. And wasn't just because sitting was more comfortable and painfree. It was also my breathing was calmer. It might have something to do with increased oxygen from easier blood flow. Maybe we all have low iron so we need more oxygen.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM
I know one person (though I don't really know him well) who is a recovering substance abuser. He says he cannot even take aspirin or ibuprofen because he knows he will abuse it. That always struck me as unnecessarily cautious until I read this thread.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesgreenb View Post
I agree that maybe because it thins the blood the heart doesn't have to work as hard.
Anticoagulant/antiplatelet drugs are often called "blood thinners," but AFAIK they do not affect the viscosity of blood; they merely reduce its tendency/ability to form clots.

As such, I wouldn't expect ibuprofen to ease the workload of the heart, at least not based on its antiplatelet property.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Charter Member
It gives me nosebleeds, so no.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:40 AM
I'm surprised no one has linked this yet: Researchers find that over-the-counter pain medication can alleviate anxiety. It's based on the fact that the brain reacts similarly to physical and emotional pain, hence, something that works on one would likely work on the other.

BTW, the potential for interactions between ibuprofen and citalopram is quite small. There's just a risk of increased bleeding, and that's mostly with people who are already being treated with blood thinners or for the elderly or those with kidney damage. If you don't start feeling dizzy or have other symptoms of internal bleeding, it's probably okay. But, of course, check with your physician.

Last edited by BigT; 07-02-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:23 PM
advil pm makes me feel good and not just because the pain is gone

I noticed that if you are annoyed advil pm helps. It stops nausea with headaches. It also helps with hunger. So I take two everyday around 10am. The sleep aid in them plays a huge part in activating it to work because regular advil will not work for me at all.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:29 PM
I've never noticed this.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:56 PM
Charter Member
Just to reiterate in this Zombie thread: Street value of ibuprofen among addicts is about the same as retail value. This strongly implies there's no significant general mood-altering effect. YMMV personally.

However, its ability to relieve pain will make some people happy.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReticulatingSplines View Post
Shit... acetaminophen/hydrocodone doesn't get me high. It kicks pain in the ass, but there's no euphoria or anything like that- drowsiness is about the only side-effect.

Still, I understand what the OP's saying, and have had it happen to me. I think it's the alleviation of a myriad of minuscule aches and pains that we all have, as well as the alleviation of the headache that caused you to take the ibuprofen as well.

A good experiment would be to take acetaminophen, aspirin or naproxen and see if you have the same effects in the same situations. I get the same sort of physical "good" feeling from all 3, which is what makes me think it's the pain relief aspect.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Just to reiterate in this Zombie thread: Street value of ibuprofen among addicts is about the same as retail value. This strongly implies there's no significant general mood-altering effect. YMMV personally.

However, its ability to relieve pain will make some people happy.
A agree with the Doc ^^ - I get migraines and they can suck. Sometimes taking Advil in time can derail it. I don't get high, but feeling the pain go away can definitely be euphoric.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:27 AM
I've never noticed or felt strange after taking ibuprofen. And I usually take way more than the recommended dosage.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:12 AM
Charter Member
I have never felt anything from it for pain relief even when taken in much higher than recommended doses. I am almost convinced that it is like a placebo for many people like me. I never noticed any effect from aspirin either except for the blood thinning properties that make it easier to get a nose bleed in the winter. I stopped taking both of them a long time ago when I realized that they have no positive effect for me and I should just save my money. I don't even have anything like them in my house and haven't in years. No loss.