Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2013, 09:42 PM
BANNED
Prepping a shot of heroin, why the lighter?

I've never seen anyone use a lighter in real life in documentaries, never seen a lighter used in real either.

Yet in a lot of old movies and heroin addict media you'll see a lighter applied to the spoon with the water or the water and heroin, what does that accomplish?
Advertisements
Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Helps the drug dissolve better.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Unless smoking it, the lighter is used to inject it. Street heroin is a solid. In order to inject it, it must be dissolved into a liquid. The user adds a small amount of liquid with the solid - in a spoon say - then holds a lighter under the spoon to boil the liquid and help dissolve the solid into it.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
I've never seen anyone use a lighter in real life in documentaries, never seen a lighter used in real either.

Yet in a lot of old movies and heroin addict media you'll see a lighter applied to the spoon with the water or the water and heroin, what does that accomplish?
You have seen heroin addicts shoot up without dissolving the heroin first?
Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
You have seen heroin addicts shoot up without dissolving the heroin first?
Told you they were "hardcore".
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 PM
If it's a very small shot of pure-ish stuff, cooking it isn't really necessary. As others have said, though, it's generally to help the dope dissolve faster.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 PM
If not a lighter, a candle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagles
... And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyjeff View Post
Unless smoking it, the lighter is used to inject it. Street heroin is a solid. In order to inject it, it must be dissolved into a liquid. The user adds a small amount of liquid with the solid - in a spoon say - then holds a lighter under the spoon to boil the liquid and help dissolve the solid into it.
(bolding mine)

Apologies for the <nitpick>, but I'm pretty sure that you can't inject heroin with a lighter. Heat, yes. But not heroin.

And 'street' heroin is usually in a powdered state. (Personally, I've never come across or heard of any other kind of heroin.)
Old 03-16-2013, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDivmstr View Post
And 'street' heroin is usually in a powdered state. (Personally, I've never come across or heard of any other kind of heroin.)
Powders are solids... Heat definitely helps it dissolve too.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:53 AM
The black tar dissolves more readily than the white powder but adding heat is still preferable I would think.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Not in my corner of the world. Mostly it is in 'tar' form, a sticky brown solid when I've seen it*. ETA: And I've seen folks actually vaporize it and smoke the vapor through a straw, though apparently harder core addicts regard that as wasteful ( yes, I've seen the progression ).

* Not a user, but I had an addict friend some years ago.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 03-16-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailboy View Post
Powders are solids... Heat definitely helps it dissolve too.
I stand corrected. Yes, 'powder' is a solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Not in my corner of the world. Mostly it is in 'tar' form, a sticky brown solid when I've seen it*. ETA: And I've seen folks actually vaporize it and smoke the vapor through a straw, though apparently harder core addicts regard that as wasteful ( yes, I've seen the progression ).

* Not a user, but I had an addict friend some years ago.
Again, I stand corrected. It's been a long time since I was around all of that sort of thing.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 AM
What I meant by this statement, "(Personally, I've never come across or heard of any other kind of heroin.)", is I've never heard of heroin being available anywhere but 'on the street'.
Heroin, AFAIK isn't used by the professional medical community. Doctors and hospitals use the refined form of heroin, morphine.
I could be wrong about that, though.
Perhaps Qadgop the Mercotan will drop by and give us a more knowledgable answer on the subject.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 AM
A lighter/candle is simpler than a teeny-tiny hot plate or Bunsen burner.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 AM
While I enjoy being a renaissance man and having a breadth of knowledge, I find myself very pleasantly surprised that I'm entirely ignorant on this topic. And I think I'll choose to remain so, perhaps for the first time in my life.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Quote:
What I meant by this statement, "(Personally, I've never come across or heard of any other kind of heroin.)", is I've never heard of heroin being available anywhere but 'on the street'.
Heroin, AFAIK isn't used by the professional medical community. Doctors and hospitals use the refined form of heroin, morphine.
Perhaps Qadgop the Mercotan will drop by and give us a more knowledgable answer on the subject.
It is used as a strong analgesic in he UK. See here.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 PM
This is probably a really stupid question, but... do they let it cool down before they inject it? I can't imagine what sort of damage bubbling hot liquid would do to your veins, but I also can't imagine that these are very patient people with great delayed gratification skills.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 PM
BANNED
But to make things even stranger I just found during research that heroin is more soluble in cold water, rather than hot. I also found the claim that they are boiling it to kill bacteria, I'm curious if that would even work.(sterilizing water and drug solution with boiling using a lighter)
Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
This is probably a really stupid question, but... do they let it cool down before they inject it? I can't imagine what sort of damage bubbling hot liquid would do to your veins, but I also can't imagine that these are very patient people with great delayed gratification skills.
It's a few drops of liquid. It's Colby the time it is drawn up into the syringe.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Quote:
As Storyguide points out, heroin is certainly used in medicine - as diacetylmorphine. Morphine itself is also used.

I stand to be corrected but so far as I know, heroin is refined from morphine, not the other way around.

The source is opium poppies which are grown legally on farms in Tasmania and probably other places. I must confess to being startled when I first saw a crop. There were no razor wire fences or any visible security but I'm sure you couldn't just wander into a paddock and fill your pockets. Also the paddocks were away from any roads.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
It's a few drops of liquid. It's Colby the time it is drawn up into the syringe.
Autocorrect thinks it knows slang for heroin users.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Ignorance fought. I am learning so much here in my first year on the Dope!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 PM
A long-time heroin user I knew actually never did the whole "lighter under the spoon" thing; she said it wasn't necessary-if the quality was good-and it only made the overall 'hit' smaller. I can testify that I saw her do everything from opening the pack, to doing a bunch of prep stuff (that I can't really tell you much about, truthfully) to injecting the drug in her arm, all without ever using a lighter or otherwise heating the heroin.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 03-18-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Ignorance fought. I am learning so much here in my first year on the Dope!
First year here and you've already ponied up the big bucks to become a member. You're a lesson to us all.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
First year here and you've already ponied up the big bucks to become a member. You're a lesson to us all.
Where else can I learn how to do heroin?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken001 View Post
As Storyguide points out, heroin is certainly used in medicine - as diacetylmorphine. Morphine itself is also used.

I stand to be corrected but so far as I know, heroin is refined from morphine, not the other way around.

The source is opium poppies which are grown legally on farms in Tasmania and probably other places. I must confess to being startled when I first saw a crop. There were no razor wire fences or any visible security but I'm sure you couldn't just wander into a paddock and fill your pockets. Also the paddocks were away from any roads.
It isnt marijuana, you get the raw opium by scoring the pods after the petals have dropped and collecting the latex sap after it has oozed out and dried. You can get several harvests in the week after the petals have dropped.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:52 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
Some within the public health community wish that more addicts would heat their heroin. It seems that shooting up without heating the drug can lead to abscess, which can lead to all sorts of other nastiness. (Cite here)
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 PM
"Refined" isn't really the word to use with respect to morphine and heroin.

Poppy sap dries out to be opium, which is refined to extract the morphine, and that is chemically modified into heroin, aka diacetylmorphine.

See the Wikipedia page for more detail.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Wanders in to say what rjk already said, but with more words.....

Heroin is diacetyl morphine. Patented by Bayer pharmaceuticals back in the day, it was first touted as a safe, non-addicting alternative to morphine.

Well, that didn't turn out so well. But it was used in the US as a prescription pain-killer and cough suppressant until it was made illegal to manufacture or import. Hospitals and pharmacies were allowed to use up their stocks, however. I believe this happened in the 1950's but am too lazy to look it up.

At any rate, morphine is the most common opioid found in opium. When treated chemically, it gets turned into heroin via the addition of two acetyl groups to the morphine molecule.

So JBD, you've got it backwards. Morphine is found in raw opium. It's then processed into heroin.

Wanders out....

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 03-22-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:25 AM
Quote:

Some dope like china white needs heat put on it a little bit for it to completely dissolve and break down, black tar has to be cooked also. However most of the boy around where I am from that is the best doesn't need any heat and dissolves easy. It's usually the really light powdery dope that tends to need a little heat. So I guess the answer is it just depends on the dope
Old 06-02-2013, 04:44 AM
Quote:
There's actually a lot of different kinds of heroin. 3 main ones I have come across and then different kinds within the three main ones. A lot of it has to do with how pure it is and what kind of cut is in it. There's the china white (the real china white which is a soft white chalky rock) and then grayish whitish tannish dope that is similar and needs heat. Then there's black tar which is like the consistency of opium, tar and feels kinda like a raisin. Black tar used to be the most common and was very strong and dirty but it's hard to come by here in atlanta. And then there is what we call sand which is a brown rock, actually the best sand I had almost had a reddish tint to it and wasn't soft or so hard you couldn't break it down its crispy and crumbles when crushing it, dissolves quick and needs no heat. Sand comes in many different colors and strengths so I always do a test shot with new/different dope to see how strong it is so I can know how much to do. And heroin and morphine both come from poppy plant which is also where opium is from.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESS-A-MA-KESS View Post
There's actually a lot of different kinds of heroin. 3 main ones I have come across and then different kinds within the three main ones. A lot of it has to do with how pure it is and what kind of cut is in it. There's the china white (the real china white which is a soft white chalky rock) and then grayish whitish tannish dope that is similar and needs heat. Then there's black tar which is like the consistency of opium, tar and feels kinda like a raisin. Black tar used to be the most common and was very strong and dirty but it's hard to come by here in atlanta. And then there is what we call sand which is a brown rock, actually the best sand I had almost had a reddish tint to it and wasn't soft or so hard you couldn't break it down its crispy and crumbles when crushing it, dissolves quick and needs no heat. Sand comes in many different colors and strengths so I always do a test shot with new/different dope to see how strong it is so I can know how much to do. And heroin and morphine both come from poppy plant which is also where opium is from.
Please read post number 29 for information about what heroin is. Your description may have merit on the street, or in the ER when treating a multi drug OD, but not pharmacologically.

Welcome to The Dope, by the way. It seems you have an interest in opioids.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 06-02-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:57 AM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESS-A-MA-KESS View Post
Sand comes in many different colors and strengths so I always do a test shot with new/different dope to see how strong it is so I can know how much to do.
Moderator Note

JESS-A-MA-KESS, please note our rules on discussion of illegal drugs:

Quote:
Drugs that are illegal in the US: You may discuss the effects of drugs, but not where to obtain them. Limited discussion of past use of drugs is OK, but discussion of current use is not. Please include a disclaimer that the drug is illegal in the US.
The quoted part of your post is in violation of our policy. Please abide by the rules in future posts.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Hi I'm Shane from Leeds England, 10 yrs clean from the big H. Basically you place he heroin powder on a spoon and then add water +a small amount of citric acid to help the heroin break down into a clear liquid. THus enabling you to then inject and ruin life as you know it.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Wow. First the hooker thread and now the heroin thread. Is this a theme weekend of which I am not aware?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Worse. It's a prepositional free-for-all and you're in but of that fact weren't aware!

Himself every man is for now.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 06-15-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Worse. It's a prepositional free-for-all and you're in but of that fact weren't aware!

Himself every man is for now.
Thanks. I'll try again.

Is this a theme weekend? I did not know that it was a theme weekend.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
Thanks. I'll try again.

Is this a theme weekend? I did not know that it was a theme weekend.
Every weekend is a theme weekend on the SDMB. Usually it's hookers-and-blow; this weekend it was hookers-and-snow.

Welcome to the SDMB, JESS-A-MA-KESS and Born again.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 06-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
But to make things even stranger I just found during research that heroin is more soluble in cold water, rather than hot.
I know nothing about heroin, but I just want to point out that even if a substance is more soluble in cold water than in hot, it may still dissolve faster in hot water.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:06 AM
My apologies for posting incorrect information.
My experiences with the subject being discussed were few, far between and long ago. Thankfully, it just didn't have a lot of appeal to me back then, and even less now.
My sympathies to any that have carried (or currently are carrying) that 'gorilla' around on their back.
I know that it's a 'tough row to hoe' and for some it never ends, or it ends badly.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:08 AM
user here: you heat the dope to dissolve it in the water and also to sterilize it, at least that's true for black tar. on the east coast if you have super pure china it's not necessary as long as you're using sterilized water
Old 04-05-2015, 03:14 AM
I always try to run my shot under cool water or let it sit for a second before injecting, just seems like the reasonable thing to do plus you feel the heat when you inject it hot doesn't feel good
Old 04-05-2015, 06:05 AM
Heroin itself is extremely soluble. What the heating does is take care of opioid impurities such as Morphine and Codeine that you want anyway.

Regarding using a lighter, gas lighters are best as they don't soot up the spoon. Petroleum lighters like Zippo are not much good.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:04 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
Originally Posted by elihow88 View Post
user here: you heat the dope to dissolve it in the water and also to sterilize it, at least that's true for black tar. on the east coast if you have super pure china it's not necessary as long as you're using sterilized water
Quote:
I always try to run my shot under cool water or let it sit for a second before injecting, just seems like the reasonable thing to do plus you feel the heat when you inject it hot doesn't feel good
Moderator Note

elihow88, please note from our rules, already mentioned in post #33 above.

Quote:
Drugs that are illegal in the US: You may discuss the effects of drugs, but not where to obtain them. Limited discussion of past use of drugs is OK, but discussion of current use is not. Please include a disclaimer that the drug is illegal in the US.
Let's not continue discussion of current use of illegal drugs. No warning issued.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Last edited by Colibri; 04-05-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:24 PM
Terrible answers on this page

Quote:
I stand corrected. Yes, 'powder' is a solid.

Again, I stand corrected. It's been a long time since I was around all of that sort of thing.

Yes powder is a solid. If it was already a liquid you wouldn't need to add water and heat it up to begin with totally negates the question at hand. Dumb answer..

I personally have found using warm water like 130 degrees F. Works the best.

In addition if you want to get your wash or remainder take about 1 and a half syringes full of water drop them in the spoon along with the filter or filters you have used and heat up the water along wit the filters in the spoon until you have around 3/4 of a syringe full.

A lot will be caught up in the filter and by boiling you release whats caught up and usually the 2nd go around is just as good if not better than the first.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Water has to boil for .....

Quote:

It does not really sterilize it as much as you think... Even when we are under boil water alerts they tell you to boil water for 3 to 5 minutes before use... Unless you are boiling water in your spoon for that long I am sure it plays no effect.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:33 PM
Charter Member
I wonder if new posters to this thread are getting confused by the "Straight Dope" moniker.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:13 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womb Raider View Post
Yes powder is a solid. If it was already a liquid you wouldn't need to add water and heat it up to begin with totally negates the question at hand. Dumb answer..

I personally have found using warm water like 130 degrees F. Works the best.

In addition if you want to get your wash or remainder take about 1 and a half syringes full of water drop them in the spoon along with the filter or filters you have used and heat up the water along wit the filters in the spoon until you have around 3/4 of a syringe full.

A lot will be caught up in the filter and by boiling you release whats caught up and usually the 2nd go around is just as good if not better than the first.
Since you are new here, I'm not going to issue a warning, but see the moderator note right above your post for an explanation of why this is not acceptable here.

Before anyone else gets themselves in trouble, I am closing this.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread