Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 AM
How do you get a really, really bad smell out of clothing?

Okay, I know there will follow many unfortunate puns, and I accept this, because I'm desperate.

I guess I must have had a capsule of fish oil in my pocket or something when I did my laundry. (Don't ask me why. Nooooo idea.) Now all my favorite clothes smell like Cthulhu. And while I concede that there may be hidden benefits to this that one of you will surely come up with, I Just. Can't. Stand. The. Smell.

Please, please help me. It seems to me that to remove an oil you need an enzyme? What if I put a papaya in the blender? (daiquiri? why yes, thank you.) Will that can of coca cola thing work?

I tried an entire box of baking soda, and the two strongest good-smelling laundry detergents I know. (with Febreze even.) Didn't touch it.

Aaaargh.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 AM
Maybe try the suggestion for cleaning skunk smell from clothes?

(From http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7092248AAWUB7X)

Quote:
The following recipe is effective at neutralizing skunk odor and can be used on people, pets, tires or any object that has been sprayed by a skunk. Note however, that it contains hydrogen peroxide and can cause skin, eye and mucous membrane irritation. Peroxide can also cause fading or damage to clothing, carpet, paint and so on. If you are concerned about the possibility of damage, test it on an inconspicuous portion of the material. Thorough rinsing with water will help to minimize any fading or damage.

Mix together:

One quart 3% hydrogen peroxide*

cup baking soda

one teaspoon liquid dish soap

* white vinegar can be substituted, but it is not as effective

If washing a pet, keep the solution out of their ears and avoid their eyes and mouth. Wash thoroughly with the solution then rinse thoroughly. Repeat if necessary. Use the solution immediately after preparation. Do not store unused solution.

Removing skunk spray is most effective during the first few hours after spraying.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bullitt; 04-19-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 AM
Fire. Ten minutes in a roaring fire.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 AM
Hydrogen peroxide. Check.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 AM
Charter Member
Hair shampoo - these are formulated to break up and remove oils. Pick one that's labelled for oily hair, and make sure it isn't a shampoo / conditioner combo.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
Hair shampoo - these are formulated to break up and remove oils. Pick one that's labelled for oily hair, and make sure it isn't a shampoo / conditioner combo.
But I like a well conditioned T-shirt.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 AM
BANNED
A degreaser. I prefer LA's Totally Awesome or something like that, from Dollar Tree. Betcha a zillion dollars it works. soak it, though, for at least 4 hours. Then, pour Palmolive over offending clothing, and give it a quick scrub, if the material will stand it.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 AM
Charter Member
You might want to check if part of the smell is in your washer now. If the oils have adhered to the rubber parts of your washer, you might try running it empty or with a machine cleaner on a hot program, and then try doing laundry again.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Peroxide will fade your clothes. Degreaser and fuels may also fade or dissolve or stain destroy your clothes.

Oxygen bleach is a commercial product, made to a precise recipe, that if used as per instructions, won't wreck your clothes.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Dishwashing soap
Old 04-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Yup, if it's oil, then use Dawn or other dishwashing soap.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brujaja View Post
Now all my favorite clothes smell like Cthulhu.
I spit banana on my brand-new widescreen monitor. Damn you. You deserve to smell like fish.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brujaja View Post
I guess I must have had a capsule of fish oil in my pocket or something when I did my laundry. (Don't ask me why. Nooooo idea.) Now all my favorite clothes smell like Cthulhu. And while I concede that there may be hidden benefits to this that one of you will surely come up with, I Just. Can't. Stand. The. Smell.
Buy a Cthulhu Knitted Ski Mask and nobody will notice the smell.

http://entertainmentearth.com/pr...=TYV12031#desc

If you still want to remove the smell, take the clothes to a professional dry cleaner and be sure to inform them what caused the stain/smell. Or try applying naptha IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyOgre View Post
But I like a well conditioned T-shirt.
Nothing wrong with that. But condition separately.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
I wonder if this oxy cleaner stuff from the Dollar Tree will work. I use it on my clothes and it doesn't do anything BAD....maybe if you need a lot of it (to do several loads) it'd be nice to just pay $1.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:22 PM
I've had success using Febreze on bad smells--although not fish--on fabric.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:32 PM
All of the fishermen I know wash their clothes in Pine Sol
Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 PM
I've gotten cat pee (worst smell ever) out of clothing by soaking for a few hours in oxyclean and HOT water. FWIW, I think the Dollar Tree oxyclean is the exact same thing as the national brand.

Last edited by TheChileanBlob; 04-19-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Wow, ZipperJJ, didja happen to click on the photo of that person's carpet, on the page you linked to? Pretty amazing.

Because all my favorite clothes are black, I think I will try this stuff first; if that doesn't do it, maybe Pine-Sol.

Thank you so much everyone!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Pet store: enzyme solution "Nature's Miracle". Gets out pee smell and many others.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Pet store: enzyme solution "Nature's Miracle". Gets out pee smell and many others.
Came in here to say this. My cat used to have some urinary tract issues (but fortunately nothing $3,500 worth of kitty intensive care and surgery couldn't fix) and Nature's Miracle really did work better than anything else I could find. They market a "Puppy" and a "Cat" version, but I don't know if there's actually any functional difference between the two. It works on just about any organic stench I've come across: I've used it on human and animal vomit, animal poop, the inside of our trashcans (which had the remains of a few bushels of blue crabs festering in them over the summer), all over our kitchen, etc. You can buy a gallon jug of it and put it in your own spray bottle and you'll have a lifetime supply.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChileanBlob View Post
I've gotten cat pee (worst smell ever) out of clothing by soaking for a few hours in oxyclean and HOT water. FWIW, I think the Dollar Tree oxyclean is the exact same thing as the national brand.
I must disagree - often-used hockey gear just might be the worst smell ever and VERY tough to remove! (and my kids are only 7 and 9 - imagine teenage hockey gear!!) We were finally told to soak everything in the pool for 2 days and then air-dry. Preferably in summer, in the hot AZ sun where it easily reaches over 100 degrees. Only thing that has EVER worked IME.

I've also heard tales that putting yoga/exercise clothes in the freezer after washing kills the bacteria. Haven't tried that one.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Nothing wrong with that. But condition separately.
I protest all these "proper" use conditions.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:25 AM
BANNED
I think this requires an update.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomeharry View Post
I think this requires an update.
Sadly brujaja was set upon and devoured by a pack of feral cats, two days after posting the OP.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
Sadly brujaja was set upon and devoured by a pack of feral cats, two days after posting the OP.
I'll always remember where I was when I heard the news.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Vinegar added to the wash, and preferably allowed to soak, can remove some really strong odors.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:38 PM
I agree with wombattver, hockey smell is the worst. We would was using soap, washing soda and a vinegar rinse, and then hang in the sun. It may fade your clothes if you do this too often, but it should help with the smell. I'm guessing there won't be a second time, though.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 PM
I don't know how well it works n an oily smell, but when I do my mom's laundry, the addition of borax to the was cycle takes care of urine odors. You can buy the 20 Mule Team Borax in the laundry aisle.