Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 PM
BANNED
Anyone ever get stiffed by an ATM machine?

Previously my only experience with this was years ago when using an ATM of my home bank, it shortchanged me $20 on a withdrawal. An ATM balance inquiry showed that the problem just corrected itself electronically the next day. But the other day when using a non-home ATM to withdraw $200, no cash came out with my card & receipt. Not reading the receipt at first I just thought that I had hit CANCEL by mistake and tried it again. Same thing. This time I looked at both receipts and both stated that $200 had been dispensed each time ($400 total!) I thought, hmm, and went to a different ATM a block away and had no problem (my account balance was not even close to being low).

After waiting a day or two I checked online and the withdrawals have stood on my account. So I went to the ATM's bank (not my bank) with my receipts & my statement, they were very friendly but said I'd have to go to my bank with the info and have them put in the request. Long story short I did this and didn't have a problem except they said it will take up to ten days for the money to show up credited into my account! It's a good thing this didn't happen last year when I was broke, I'd have had to make a stink about getting it sooner.

So my question is how often does this happen? Other than the previous minor incident with my bank's ATM I've never, ever had even a small ATM discrepancy, even using ones across the country. I always assumed ATMs had plenty of not only electronic but physical interlocks to prevent even minor cash distribution errors. Stiffing my twice in a row for 200 bucks each seemed really out of the ordinary!

For those that have experienced this was getting a refund ever a hassle? I'm assuming they won't need to bother examining the security tape, that the ATM's regular cash count should obviously not reconcile, right?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 PM
I was stiffed by an ATM once in my life, and it was a long time ago -- about 25 years ago, if I remember right. I was withdrawing money from an ATM not at my own bank and it shortchanged me by $20. After a bit of investigation my own bank reinbursed me.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:21 PM
There is always a security camera at an ATM location. It has never happened to me, but if it did, I would clearly display the money, holding it up to the camera, and conspicuously count it. Then immediately phone the bank that owns or operates the ATM and report the incident and tell them that it is recorded on the security camera.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Never. In 20+ years.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Once - kind of. The machine didn't visibly dispense any money, but it turned out to be stuck in the dispenser slightly out of view, and with a little effort, I could get the money out.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 PM
About a year ago, I had one short me $40, but the machine knew it ran out of money and didn't charge my account.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Kinda, but on a deposit, not a withdrawal. I had a big stack of 100's to deposit (about $1200 as I recall) and went to one of those new machines which has a bill reader that counts your money instead of relying on envelopes and deposit slips. I would stick the pile of cash in the bill reader, but the machine would keep declaring one bill unreadable and then spit out the whole pile. So I started putting them in one at a time and that worked fine, until I got to $1000. Then the machine spazzed out and reset. I put my card and PIN in again and checked my balance; no record of the $1000 that I had just fed to the machine. I deposited the remaining $200 without incident, and made a note of the bank branch number, ATM number, and address, and wrote the bank an email with all the info. They immediately credited my account with $1000 and a week later sent me a letter saying that the credit was now permanent after they had concluded their investigations.

I don't use those bill-reading ATMs anymore for deposits.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:06 PM
As far as memory serves, I've never been shorted by an ATM in my life. I have, however, found cash or even cards left behind by the previous customer. The cards I returned of course, but the cash I took as a sign of positive karma smiling upon me.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post
As far as memory serves, I've never been shorted by an ATM in my life. I have, however, found cash or even cards left behind by the previous customer. The cards I returned of course, but the cash I took as a sign of positive karma smiling upon me.
I once grabbed a twenty dollar bill that was flying across the pavement, and after looking around carefully to see if anyone was looking for it, I went ahead and pocketed it. It seemed extremely unlikely the money could reach its original owner. I felt a slight twinge of guilt though.

In your case, don't you think there was some plausible chance that the person who'd accidentally left the money might go to the bank asking if it had been found?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Charter Member
I got stiffed about 20 years ago, just $20. Reported it to the bank that owned the ATM and was given a form to fill out, then told to contact my bank as well, which also had me fill out a form detailing what happened. My account was credited the next day, with a notice that if their inquiry went against me I'd have to pay that back. After a month I got a letter basically saying "yup, you were stiffed" and that was the end of the matter.

So.... once in about 30 years of using ATM's. On the whole, not too bad.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Yes, I was temporarily stiffed by an ATM, in Amsterdam. It gave me no money, and it wouldn't return my card. This was on a Saturday night, so there was no one to complain to . . . and I sure as hell wasn't about to walk away with my card still in it. So I found a police officer, and he attacked the machine with his fist and a few other objects. It finally returned my card. He waited while I used the next ATM, which worked.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is always a security camera at an ATM location. It has never happened to me, but if it did, I would clearly display the money, holding it up to the camera, and conspicuously count it. Then immediately phone the bank that owns or operates the ATM and report the incident and tell them that it is recorded on the security camera.
No stiffs for me, but I once had to use the ATM camera to document the fact that the ATM had just dispensed a bill that was obviously in close proximity to an exploding dye-pack! I was like, somebody is gonna call the cops on me when I try to spend this! So, I clearly displayed it for the camera, pointing at it with a expression on my face.

And yes, I'm familiar with what bills in proximity to an exploding dye-pack look like, because there was once a bank robbery around the corner from my work, and when I went out the back, there were dozens of stained bills blowing like tumbleweeds through the grass where the panicked bank robbers must have chucked a good portion of their haul.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 PM
About fifteen years ago, I was helping my niece move from a town about 150 miles from me to my town. Before leaving the town she was moving from, I stopped at the ATM of a bank that was strictly local to that area.

I tried to withdraw $40 but it didn't spit out any cash. I tried again and got the same results. I then went to another ATM for the cash. I contacted my bank when I got home and they credited my account for the $80 pending investigation.

Like Broomstick, it was permanent a few days later.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Charter Member
Yes, by one bill ($20) at a gas station ATM, the little kiosk kind. The "fwif,fwif,fwif..." noise of the bills dispensing suddenly changed, and bills stopped appearing in the cradle. After a few bad-sounding fwifs, I reached in and dislodged the bills that were jamming up, and the process continued normally from there, but I was one bill short at the end. I was in a hurry, so I sucked it up.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:04 PM
I've had problems many times with international ATMs. My bank ends up showing a transaction as pending and puts a freeze on those funds for at least 30 days even though I have a receipt showing the transaction failed and no cash was dispensed.

I raise the issue with my bank and half the time they seem to be unable to cope with the idea of an international exchange rate. They insist it must have been a point of sale purchase because it comes to some odd figure like $322.56 and they are sure no cash machine dispenses change.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Yes, in Pattaya Beach, Thailand. By the time I got through to my bank in the USA the local Thai bank had posted a credit in the correct amount. From withdrawal to credit was maybe two days.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 PM
It happened to me about 30 years ago and the bank seemed a bit combative about it. I got it straightened out in a day but I was put off by the process.

Last edited by Magiver; 04-25-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Charter Member
Many, many years ago, I was using an ATM that dispensed fives and twenties. When I opened the drawer to take out the money, it was $5 short. Upon investigation, I found that there were two fives stuck in the crack that the money slid through into the space where the cash was dispensed. I took one of the fives (as I was entitled to) and left the other.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:29 AM
Quote:
There is always a security camera at an ATM location.
No, that's not true. Maybe it's a requirement in some jurisdictions, but none that I've heard of, and certainly not all.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
I was withdrawing money from an ATM not at my own bank and it shortchanged me by $20. After a bit of investigation my own bank reinbursed me.
Same, except it was $40 in my case.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:16 AM
Just a few years ago, I used a little machine that appeared to have a dialup connection and also seemed to have lost track of what it was doing. It never dispensed the $40 I tried to get, but it gave me a receipt showing it was taken out. I took the receipt to my bank the following Monday, told the banker what happened and gave her the receipt. There was an audit of the machine and a credit back to me within a couple of days, IIRC.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 PM
BANNED
Well I checked my statement and my bank credited both debits back to me w/o any problems. I still find it odd that that ATM simply didn't dispense any cash to me, twice in a row! As others have said I've only ever had one short me a twenty. Think I'll be scared to use that particular ATM again...
Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
Think I'll be scared to use that particular ATM again...
Funny how that works. At my job we had an ATM inside the building, just outside the cafeteria, just for employees (you couldn't enter the building without ID). In the 20 years I worked there, I used that thing hundreds of times but after it glitched once I avoided it for months.

As for your delay - our policy was that if the amount was $60 or less, we immediately credited back the funds with the option of reversing it if it wasn't the machine. Over $60, you got nothing until we'd reviewed the issue. We'd tell people 10 days, but usually 5 would get it done - basically a day or three for someone to reconcile the machine and file the discrepancy in the system, which would be matched against your case in another day or so.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:51 AM
I went to a drive-up Bank of America ATM in Irvine, CA and made a withdrawal of $200. When the cash was dispensed, I noticed that it wasn't in the neat pile that I normally have seen before. When I took the cash out, I counted only seven $20 bills ($140) instead of the ten $20 bills that should had been dispensed. So basically I got shortchanged by $60. When I came home and checked my online account, it definitely showed that I withdrawn $200. I called Bank of America customer service and they promptly credited me $60 and did verified electronically that there was an error during my ATM withdrawal transaction. This was the first time ever I had any problems with an ATM transaction.

Last edited by tjka4231; 04-18-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:13 AM
Long ago, when ATMs were still fairly new, I was shortchanged $20. There was a handset next to the ATM and when I connected with an operator they corrected the withdrawl on the spot.

Funny how you never hear about anyone receiving *too much* money.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:16 AM
never an ATM, but I was stiffed $10 by the cash back function of one of those self-scan checkouts at Busch's. I asked for $20 back, it issued one $10. Holding said $10 bill in my hand, I notified the attendant that it shorted me. I had my wallet in my other hand which had a $10 in it, which led her to deduce that the machine did in fact give me two $10 bills. never gone back to that store since.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:07 PM
I got an ATM windfall once upon a time.

I had made a large withdrawal for a cash purchase. I confess, I didn't count the stack of money after the ATM spit it out - it was a large withdrawal of $700 and I didn't want to flash it, so I just removed the money and slid it into my wallet as discretely as I could.

Then the purchase I was going to make fell through. I stll had the wallet full of cash and I was using it for spending money. After a day or so I counted it and I realized I stll had $900 or so left. And there were fifties mixed up with the twenties, my best guess is that whoever filled the machine had mixed in some 50's with the twenties.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:04 PM
A few years ago I tried to withdraw 200 from a random ATM (there's usually no fee to use another bank's ATM in the UK). The machine clunked and whirred, and clunked and whirred a bit more, spat my card out, clunked and whirred yet again, and then put up an out of service page on the screen. No cash. It took me about ten minutes to stroll along to a branch of my own bank so I could get a mini-statement from the machine. In that ten minutes there had been a 200 debit followed by a 200 credit to my account, which I though was pretty impressive to be honest.

Last edited by Baron Greenback; 04-18-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Years ago a machine at a branch of my bank ate my debit card for no reason I put it in the slot and that was it. Nothing appeared on the screen.

I immediately told a drone behind the "welcome" and info desk who said I'd get the card back in a week. So I told her that that was unacceptable. I needed the card, now, and all she need do is open the door behind the machine, get the card and give it to me.

She disappeared into the back offices, then came back with a superior, I assume, and he opened the door behind the machine, opened the thing, got my card and handed it back to me.

I had them watch as I used the same machine, but this time it didn't eat my card.

I then checked with a teller to make sure the machine hadn't registered my withdrawal the first time, though I hadn't even punched a key. It hadn't.

I never used that machine again, and now the building's gone. I like to think it was because the machine stiffed a mafia don.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:44 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post
I also had this happen to me, but I'll have to wait for my karma. It was late at night, so the next day, I brought the cash, and the card to the bank. The bank manager thanked me.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm View Post
Years ago a machine at a branch of my bank ate my debit card for no reason I put it in the slot and that was it. Nothing appeared on the screen.

I immediately told a drone behind the "welcome" and info desk who said I'd get the card back in a week. So I told her that that was unacceptable. I needed the card, now, and all she need do is open the door behind the machine, get the card and give it to me.

She disappeared into the back offices, then came back with a superior, I assume, and he opened the door behind the machine, opened the thing, got my card and handed it back to me.

I had them watch as I used the same machine, but this time it didn't eat my card.

I then checked with a teller to make sure the machine hadn't registered my withdrawal the first time, though I hadn't even punched a key. It hadn't.

I never used that machine again, and now the building's gone. I like to think it was because the machine stiffed a mafia don.
I hope they checked your ID before handing you the card.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
never an ATM, but I was stiffed $10 by the cash back function of one of those self-scan checkouts at Busch's. I asked for $20 back, it issued one $10. Holding said $10 bill in my hand, I notified the attendant that it shorted me. I had my wallet in my other hand which had a $10 in it, which led her to deduce that the machine did in fact give me two $10 bills. never gone back to that store since.
That really sucks. You should have at least gotten your money back the next day, when they realized that it was $10 over.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:59 PM
It happened to me two years ago at St. Thomas. I was shortchanged 80 dollars. It was after hours and I went to the bank the next day and they said to file a claim with my bank. When I got back home I did that and was refunded the money in about 2 weeks.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
In your case, don't you think there was some plausible chance that the person who'd accidentally left the money might go to the bank asking if it had been found?
I once found a twenty on the floor in the stairwell of the bank where I worked, long before security cams were common. I looked around anyway, but decided it wasn't worth the windfall to keep it, so I turned it in to a supervisor.

Apparently a teller was carrying a cash drawer downstairs and dropped it. Or so they told me. Or maybe they were testing their employees, and I passed.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFred View Post
Long ago, when ATMs were still fairly new, I was shortchanged $20. There was a handset next to the ATM and when I connected with an operator they corrected the withdrawl on the spot.

Funny how you never hear about anyone receiving *too much* money.
I did. It was also long ago, when atms were new. I asked the machine for $10, and it spat out a 20, gave a receipt for 10, and then announced it was out of service. I tried to tell the bank that their machine made a mistake, and they assured me that was impossible, and I must be lying. I was non plussed, and pointed out that if I'd wanted to lie, I would have said the machine stiffed me, not that it gave me too much. They insisted I was lying, so I dropped it.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:21 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Never stiffed but I did have my card eaten twice. Once in Honolulu, and that was my own damn fault, because I waited too long to retrieve my card as I was counting the money, and the machine ate it.

The second time was in Bangkok, and as soon as I inserted the card, I mean the very moment, it suddenly shut down. Grrr! That was in the mid-90s, and it took me two weeks to get my card back from the bank. I would hope they're more on the ball than that now in Thailand.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey View Post
I hope they checked your ID before handing you the card.
I can't recall, but I doubt they wouldn't.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:53 PM
For nine years ATM's have been more only source of money. The first 20 or so cash withdrawals, I counted the amount. There was never an error. I don't count anymore. I think the machines have figured it out.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
There was never an error. I don't count anymore. I think the machines have figured it out.
It's been a long time since I went to a teller to withdraw cash, but I always count it in front of him/her, immediately after the teller counts it.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:15 PM
I got a $10 instead of a $20, when I went inside I was informed that it was impossible since the ATM only had $20's. Then they realized that my Grandpa had quite a bit of money in their bank and handed me my $10 bill.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 AM
A police fraud detective came to my work to investigate a customer's claim that the ATM stole his money. The investigation determined that the ATM had been tampered with. The thief had inserted "something" into the area where the money falls. The "something" caught the first bill the machine dispensed, and allowed the other bills to dispense normally. If anyone else would have used the machine, they would have been given the correct amount, because the "something" already had a bill stuck to it. Best case scenario for the thief is having enough time in between customers to pull the stolen bill from the slot, and reset whatever device he was using to steal the money.

In this case, the machine dispenses the correct amount, but the actual tray ends up with a short stack.

ETA: I work at a resort, not a bank.

Last edited by Mosier; 04-19-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:14 AM
I once got shorted on a withdrawal but IIRC the ATM notified me immediately. I went inside the bank, they checked some audit log or other on the machine and gave me the missing cash. Had the ATM not flashed a message I would have been long gone before I discovered the error, I count my money as I leave - it is pointless standing at the machine to do it, the machine won't deal with any complaints.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Yes, and the camera on the machine would show you taking that money left behind. Plus they know who you are, because you used the machine next, so they have all your info.

When I was working at a bank, we got this regularly -- the bank had a policy about it: the original person was credited for the money left behind; if the amount was less than $50, the bank just ate the loss, if over $50 the next person (who took the money) was identified and the amount debited from their account, and a note entered in their record in case they challenged the debit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
No, that's not true. Maybe it's a requirement in some jurisdictions, but none that I've heard of, and certainly not all.
Given the cheap price of security cameras nowadays, it's nearly a requirement for any well-run bank. In fact, to buy an ATM without an embedded security camera requires a special order from most ATM manufacturers now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
A few years ago I tried to withdraw 200 from a random ATM (there's usually no fee to use another bank's ATM in the UK). The machine clunked and whirred, and clunked and whirred a bit more, spat my card out, clunked and whirred yet again, and then put up an out of service page on the screen. No cash. It took me about ten minutes to stroll along to a branch of my own bank so I could get a mini-statement from the machine. In that ten minutes there had been a 200 debit followed by a 200 credit to my account, which I though was pretty impressive to be honest.
Actually, it was probably done without any human action at all -- modern ATMs have built-in self-monitoring that will catch many such mistakes, and trigger an automatic correction entry. Used to be that they just sent a report to a bank clerk who checked it out and entered the needed corrections, but now the ATMs are so accurate it's not worth the salary of having a clerk check this out when nearly all the time the ATM has correctly identified the error.
[quote=Ann Hedonia]Then the purchase I was going to make fell through. I stll had the wallet full of cash and I was using it for spending money. After a day or so I counted it and I realized I stll had $900 or so left. And there were fifties mixed up with the twenties, my best guess is that whoever filled the machine had mixed in some 50's with the twenties.l/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I got a $10 instead of a $20, when I went inside I was informed that it was impossible since the ATM only had $20's. Then they realized that my Grandpa had quite a bit of money in their bank and handed me my $10 bill.
Both of these happen because the cash is inserted into the machines in big drawers, which are all of one denomination -- supposedly. But mistakes are made filling them, and then cases like this happen. (The newest ATMs can read the denomination of the bill as it is dispensed, and will catch errors like this.)
Old 04-19-2015, 12:43 AM
I've never had an ATM short me. A few friends have and they all eventually got the balance corrected but not in a time frame they appreciated.

My worst ATM experience was at a drive up ATM. I was withdrawing $400. The machine promptly launched the bills onto the ground and I had to run around a parking lot retrieving my windblown bills. Recovered it all and called the bank the next day. They told me 'they were aware of the issue' but not in a way that sounded like they planned on fixing it. I avoid that banks ATM's
Old 04-19-2015, 01:49 AM
I tried to take $400 out of my Paypal. The ATM said the transaction was cancelled, did not go through, did not give me money or a receipt. So I went to another ATM. Declined NSF. First ATM took from the balance. Had to wait 7 days for a refund from Paypal. Was close to breaking down in the store, as it was pretty much the only money I had for the foreseeable future and was already not completely enough for mandatory back to school purchases for my sons. I've tried to do less with ATMs in the 2 years since.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:35 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm View Post
It's been a long time since I went to a teller to withdraw cash, but I always count it in front of him/her, immediately after the teller counts it.
In one of my banks, a machine counts out the exact bills and coins first, then hands it to the teller, who recounts it to the customer. If there is a mistake, I say let her deal with it, not me.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Quote:
I once grabbed a twenty dollar bill that was flying across the pavement, and after looking around carefully to see if anyone was looking for it, I went ahead and pocketed it. It seemed extremely unlikely the money could reach its original owner. I felt a slight twinge of guilt though.
I have read that a common way of ripping people off at ATMs is the 'dropped cash' scam. As you withdraw your card from the machine, and before the notes come out, someone taps you on the shoulder and points to a twenty on the ground. You assume it's dropped from your wallet when you pulled the card out and bend down to retrieve it - the scammer makes off with your cash from the machine.

In the UK, with chip and pin almost universal, the bank assumes that any cash taken from your account must be down to you - either you did it or someone who has your pin did. There have been cases of ATMs going mad though. Betfair, an online gambling company set one up as a promotion.
Quote:
'It's giving out money!': Long queues and hugs of joy as cash machine in London hands out 10,000 in crisp 50 notes to unsuspecting users for FREE
http://dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sers-FREE.html

Or when the machine goes wrong:
Quote:
An ATM located inside a Lloyds Bank in Ipswich, England started malfunctioning and giving away money. The ATM was giving out double what was requested by the customer. Word spread quickly and several people were able to take advantage of the machine. That is, until the police were called
https://google.co.uk/search?q=An...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
Old 04-19-2015, 02:08 PM
BANNED
Only twice, both times in Trinidad.

First time it happened was years ago probably 2010 I went to an ATM using my US debit card, got a slip that said $0 dispensed and assumed the machine was non-functioning and walked away to find another from the same branch(this branch's ATMs were on the no fee list for my debit card). Well my wife was at home and she called me on my cell to say she just got an email showing I had withdrawn $100 USD and she wanted me to buy some groceries, I said whoa no it dispensed nothing!

I ran back to the branch and spoke to a manager, who said now how do you know the money was actually withdrawn from your account in a smirking manner. I said because this is a USA based account and I am emailed for every single account deposit or withdrawal, this changed her tune. To give context Trinidad based account are behind the moon on internet, and do not email you for actions you'd have to wait for your monthly printed statement to be mailed to you.

A long run around including them telling me to file a report with my bank when I am back in the USA(I was NOT a tourist) and me telling them that was impossible and me providing the slip showing $0 dispensed three times(photocopied it on my wife's advice, love ya!) got my accout credited after multiple in person visits. I would have been BLEEPED if that was my last hundred.

Later searching the internet I found a thread on a traveler forum which had multiple people relating this exact same scenario.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Charter Member
If I may hijack for just a second, please, what's the most you've ever been able to pull out of an ATM?

I realize this may be set by your card and your bank, but I'm curious just how much a standard ATM will give you.

NO, I do *not* have any ill-conceived plans. I'm just curious what they'll let you walk away with.

Tripler
No. I don't know you, nor where you're ATM is. No, I'm not going to find & stalk you.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:50 PM
I've had two ATM malfunctions in the last year, and both times the bank issued my account a credit to cover the mistake WITHIN ONE HOUR. I just went inside, told the teller what happened, and they made it right.

Both times, I was depositing cash and the machine miscounted how much cash I'd actually put it. Once it was off by $20 and the other time it was off by something like $500. It helped my case that I'm a well-established business customer, and also that I was able to describe exactly what denominations I had put into the machine. The issued me a "temporary" credit while they investigated, and a couple days later the temporary credit seamlessly turned permanent.

I asked if they planned to open up the machine and see whether my mangled money was stuck in the innards there. They said no, that's a problem for the company who services the machines, not their problem. I think all they actually did was verify that I had in fact used that machine on that day at that time and they just took my word about how much money the machine ate.

Both of those times it was an ATM on the premises of the bank. I can imagine the wheels of justice would turn much more slowly if it had been a stand-alone ATM in a convenience store, not affiliated specifically with my bank. That's one of the reasons I avoid machines of that type, plus not wanting to pay the transaction fees.

Last edited by sbunny8; 04-19-2015 at 07:51 PM.