Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Painful lump on tailbone

This is the third day it's been really bad, and for a couple days before that it was just a bit sore. This started out of nowhere, no trauma. Now it hurts really bad. I'm taking Aleve and that helps some but not enough. I'm about to buy a coccyx cushion, which has a notch cut out for the coccyx.

Anyway, I've been looking stuff up about it and called a nurse hotline but that was no help, she just said to go to the doctor, which duh I already know I should do that. But I don't want to. It seems that a cyst is the most likely thing, except are they supposed to be movable? Because mine isn't. Plus people are talking about the cysts draining fluid, and mine doesn't have any broken skin or anything. It's just a hard lump under the skin.

So yeah, I don't want to go to the doctor. I will if I have to, but in the meantime might this thing just go away on its own? Anyone have something like this before?

If I go to the doctor they might want to lance it and that sounds terrifying Someone tell me they had this happen and it went away on its own and everything was great. TIA.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Yeah, a pilonidal cyst seems likely. My family (TMI) has a congenital defect that creates deep dimples along the tailbone, and if we spend too much time lounging around with weight on our tailbones, they get quite inflamed. They don't drain until they're good and ready to drain, which is why you might want to see a doctor about it.

In the meantime, don't loll on the sofa or lean back in your chair. Keeping weight off it helps.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
You can live with it for a long time and it's just there, but when it gets inflamed you'll spend a lot of time hobbling around thinking "wish I'd gotten this taken care of sooner..."

I don't recall having any draining or anything with mine. Just a persistent lump that hurt when I sat in certain positions and hurt more when it was inflamed.

Having it removed did suck - maybe it sucked more because I had it done like a week before band camp - but I haven't had to worry about it in 20 years now. Just don't have it removed a week before band camp.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I've suffered through a few pilonidal cyst inflamations. It ain't fun. It hasn't happened for at least 10 years now, nothing was as bad as the first time, but it's survivable. I've heard a serious infection can occur sometimes, so see a doctor if doesn't drain after a couple of days. Hirsuteness is sometimes blamed, seemed like a good explanation in my case, but one doctor told me that doesn't really matter.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Well, I'd rather get knocked out and have surgery than have them lance it when I'm awake and screaming. But it still doesn't sound like fun. And while I don't have to go to band camp anytime terribly soon, I'm not really allowed to take any time off work ever either :/

TriPolar, did yours go away on its own or did you get treatment?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Inflamed cysts will "go away" on their own (although they can become infected and require antibiotics), but the thing is that they never really go away, until you get them surgically removed. They just lie there, waiting, until the next time they become inflamed.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 AM
From what I'm reading it seems like doctors are all over the place about how to treat them though. Some people get antibiotics, some lanced, and some go right to surgery as a first resort. Do you have general anesthesia for the surgery?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:46 AM
In the derm office I work it, they will lance, pack, and give antibiotics for infected ones. Once the infection is over, if you want it removed, they will do the surgery in the office, with a local anesthetic. Possibly a general surgeon would do it in an out-patient setting with a general, if you wish- not sure about that.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Log-in problems making it impossible to edit my last post- a plastic surgeon would probably do this under a general, as well.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
Well, I'd rather get knocked out and have surgery than have them lance it when I'm awake and screaming. But it still doesn't sound like fun. And while I don't have to go to band camp anytime terribly soon, I'm not really allowed to take any time off work ever either :/

TriPolar, did yours go away on its own or did you get treatment?
They'll give you a shot of novocaine if they lance it. And even without you'll enjoy the relief more than the brief discomfort.

Mine went away on it's own. Each incident was less severe than the previous. It may happen again though.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Oh yeah, they'll numb it up before they lance it. They're not in the torturing business.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 PM
The part where they pack it with gauze sounds disgusting! My stepdad recently had this done for a cyst on his leg and he thought it was really painful, and he's much braver than me. I can't deal with this

So it might not be infected though? Just inflamed? And if it's inflamed it might go away on its own (but might reoccur)? Am I getting this right?

Numbing it isn't enough for me, I would be so scared. Maybe they could do IV sedation at least. I had that when I got my wisdom teeth out and it knocked me out completely.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Pretty much, yes. I've never had one, but it seems to me like you'd know if it was infected vs. just inflamed. Infection includes heat, swelling, and increasing pain. What's the problem with having it numbed and lanced- you don't like needles, or scalpels? Just curious. It sounds worse than it really is. The smell if it's infected is really the worse part of it. I'll take 100 scalpels over that smell, any day.

Last edited by Alice The Goon; 06-11-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Charter Member
A brief excerpt from UpToDate.com's patient education section:
Quote:
What is pilonidal cyst? — A pilonidal cyst is a fluid-filled sac that forms just above the crease where the buttocks come together. This cyst can become red, inflamed, and infected. It can also cause pain and make it uncomfortable to sit or lie back.

What are the symptoms of pilonidal cyst? — If the cyst is not infected, it might not cause symptoms. But if the cyst is infected, it can cause pain, redness, and swelling in the area above the crease where the buttocks come together. In some cases, the cyst might burst and drain fluid, blood, or pus (a milky yellow or green fluid).

Should I see a doctor or nurse? — Yes, if you have symptoms of a pilonidal cyst, you should see a doctor or nurse. He or she can do an exam and let you know what might be causing your symptoms.

How is a pilonidal cyst treated? — Treatment for a pilonidal cyst usually involves either draining the cyst or removing it with surgery.

Draining a cyst can usually be done at the doctor’s office. To drain a cyst, a doctor or nurse will first numb the area. Then he or she can cut open the cyst, drain it, and wash it out. In some cases, the doctor or nurse might also pack the empty cyst with gauze, or leave a drain in place.

Removing a cyst involves surgery, so it is done in an operating room at the hospital. Right before the surgery, people having the surgery either get a shot to numb the area, or a shot to numb the area plus some medicine to make them drowsy. People having the surgery can usually go home the same day.
Now go get it taken care of.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of needles and the whole thing just makes me feel really squeamish to even think about.

Qadgop, do you think it's important to get in ASAP or could I wait a couple days?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 AM
I went to the ER last night and all they did was give me a prescription for antibiotics and Vicodin, and I wasn't able to fill it because the only 24 hour pharmacy didn't take my insurance anymore (I found out after driving all the way there in agony) and I'm supposed to go see my doctor tomorrow or something but I can't even move. I tried to get them to do something else about it and they wouldn't. I'm taking more Aleve than you're supposed to but I don't know what else to do. I wouldn't even be scared for them to yank this thing out anymore, I just want it gone.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Charter Member
You will feel almost immediately better after they lance it. That's what I remember from mine. I've never had mine recur and so have not had the need to have surgery to remove the cyst.

I promise you, you will feel better. You can do this!!

ETA: Also, call your doctor's office and beg to be seen today.

Last edited by Carol the Impaler; 06-12-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:01 AM
You absolutely CAN do this. Lots of people have, and worse, and you're just like them. Seriously. Now is the time to start telling yourself the plain truth: "I wish I didn't have to deal with this, but I'm sure I can."

Alas, worse things are in store for you in this life and you will handle/deal with them just like everyone else does. Believe that when the time comes you can get through whatever life dishes out to you. It's what we do as human beings. You will be scared and wish you didn't have to go through difficult times, but you will survive. This is the kind of self-talk to play in your head, starting now and running permanently.

Whenever my late husband had to go through another surgery, we would focus on the time AFTER the surgery, not the time right before it. Just jump over the event mentally and imagine yourself back home and knowing the procedure is behind you, as it were.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Keep in mind that I had the same thing (pilonidal cyst), but mine had formed complex tunnels underneath the skin with infected fluids roaming about. They have to perform a "flap" surgery which involved removing the cyst and any skin affected by the tunnels and then grafting a piece of my butt tissue over the open wound, forming a new (and uninfected) layer.

Keep in mind that mine was a pretty severe case. If it IS similar, though, it needs to be taken care of ASAP. My surgeon told me that had I not acted, the tunnels would have likely spread to my rectum and surrounding areas and I might have required a colostomy bag for the rest of my life.

Again, I don't mean to panic you, but please have a qualified doctor/surgeon examine closely. I had the "main" cyst around where you have your lump, but I also had other minor holes that were actually inside my crack and (on the way to) my rectum and I had no idea they were even there.

My version was apparently caused by an infected hair that had burrowed into the skin.

tl;dr - see a doctor. It can be serious. I am proof of that. If you aren't draining a pus-like fluid, you're probably okay, but still...

Last edited by elninost0rm; 06-12-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Charter Member
A pity the ER was unhelpful.

Vicodin will reduce the pain, so get it filled. It's pretty cheap, especially if you ask for the generic. I doubt antibiotics will help much, or quickly.

I lance these things right in the office, and it does give quick relief. Most ER docs will do that for you too, especially if you've got good insurance. Were they super busy or something?

Don't take more than 500 mg of Aleve twice a day.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the pep talks! I need them. I feel like I'm being a baby, but this really hurts!

The ER doctor didn't think it was a pilonidal cyst just because it's not exactly centered, even though it is really close. She thinks it's some kind of non-pilodonal abscess. She said it was either too small or too deep to lance (but that that might change later), and also that they don't do that in the ER and I'd have to make an appointment to have it done. Or maybe that was just to get it removed altogether? I don't know.

I wish I would have just paid out-of-pocket for the Vicodin last night but I only get 12 of them anyway so I guess I'll be glad to have some left later if it's still bad. My mom is going to fill the prescriptions for me in a few hours.

The ER discharge paper says to follow up with my doctor in 2-3 days, so I guess I'll wait until tomorrow. Qadgop, you said you don't think the antibiotics will do much good, but if the doctor is right that it's some other kind of abscess, does that change anything?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Quote:
The ER discharge paper says to follow up with my doctor in 2-3 days, so I guess I'll wait until tomorrow. ...
Those were generic instructions. Why wait? Go today. For someone who's hurting as much as you are, I'm puzzled by your lack of haste in dealing with this.

You're not being a baby. Pain hurts--that's why they call it pain. Pain is a sign something is wrong. It's not meant to be ignored. The body will keep screaming at you-- louder and louder-- until you do something.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 AM
They aren't always in the center, mine wasn't. Find a more experienced doctor. You should find a surgeon to do the lancing, I don't think other doctors will do it, and you may need to go back again some day, or even have it removed if you can't get it under control. Put some hot compresses on it. Also (note that this is not medical advice from a trained practitioner) I've found the opposite of your natural instincts are required, get up and get moving around, physical activity will help open it up.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Charter Member
Not speaking for Blackberry, but for myself, dealing with the pain you know, even when it's really painful is easier than dealing with the unknown. I have a deep mistrust and fear of doctors. I have a high pain threshold but a low embarrassment one. I've told myself when doubled-up in pain to suck it up, if I'm handling this now, I can keep on handling it. I walked on a broken foot for 6 months before I had it looked at.

StG
Old 06-12-2013, 11:08 AM
ThelmaLou, I hate going to doctors always, and it hurts so much to move at all, let alone sit in the car, so that's why I'm so reluctant to do anything. I just can't stand to not be alone when I'm in pain.

But is there a point in seeing a doctor now when I just saw one a few hours ago? Anyway though, once I get this Vicodin I should be able to get up and go I bet. My mom can drive me, so it's okay if I'm doped up.

TriPolar, I do have one of those instant hand warmer things on it and that is helping some. I'd need a referral from my doctor to go to a surgeon, so I guess I better see if I can get one. I just hope this isn't going to drag out too long. And I HAVE to work on Sunday so I wanted to get it done ASAP so I'd have time to recover. My boss is being a total bitch about me taking any time off, even though I never do. I have to cover for her every time she wants to go on vacation (the last time was just last week), but I'm not even allowed to get sick.

StGermain, yes, that's how I am! Except I don't have a particularly high pain threshold either. But I never expect doctors to really help much, because usually for me they can never figure out what's wrong (why is my heart rate 150? Who knows? Not the cardiologist.)

Ouch about the broken foot!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
They aren't always in the center, mine wasn't. Find a more experienced doctor. You should find a surgeon to do the lancing, I don't think other doctors will do it, and you may need to go back again some day, or even have it removed if you can't get it under control. Put some hot compresses on it. Also (note that this is not medical advice from a trained practitioner) I've found the opposite of your natural instincts are required, get up and get moving around, physical activity will help open it up.
My sister and my dad both have them and got them lanced in our GPs office.

They were quite relieved.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Get it lanced. It hurts for about a microsecond then you get an instantaneous feeling of relief. It's like when you get to a bathroom after drinking 8 beers, only times 100.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
You should find a surgeon to do the lancing, I don't think other doctors will do it,
Of course other doctors will do it, I already said I do lancings in my office (when appropriate). I would defer the excision to a surgeon.

Might as well take the antibiotics as directed until your own doc tells you otherwise.

I love modern health care delivery. We can keep a 500 gram preemie alive but it's a fustercluck trying to assess a cyst/abscess and give adequate pain relief.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Not speaking for Blackberry, but for myself, dealing with the pain you know, even when it's really painful is easier than dealing with the unknown. I have a deep mistrust and fear of doctors. I have a high pain threshold but a low embarrassment one. I've told myself when doubled-up in pain to suck it up, if I'm handling this now, I can keep on handling it. I walked on a broken foot for 6 months before I had it looked at.

StG
I had a friend who kept having chest pains and couldn't decide what to do. The he dropped dead. Problem solved.

Your pain/embarrassment thresholds are probably similar to most people's. But be sensible. Don't brag about your stubbornness; it's not a virtue.

The one thing you don't EVER want to hear from a doctor is, "I'm sorry. There's nothing we can do. If you had only gotten here sooner..."

Quote:
ThelmaLou, I hate going to doctors always, and it hurts so much to move at all, let alone sit in the car, so that's why I'm so reluctant to do anything. I just can't stand to not be alone when I'm in pain.

But is there a point in seeing a doctor now when I just saw one a few hours ago? Anyway though, once I get this Vicodin I should be able to get up and go I bet. My mom can drive me, so it's okay if I'm doped up...!
Yes, you should go even though you just saw a doctor. Why? Because you didn't get any relief yet. You keep going until you get a solution to your problem. Or until nature solves it for you, as in the example I cited above.

ETA. I can talk to you like this because I'm pretty sure I'm older than your mother. Maybe even than your grandmother.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 06-12-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I had a friend who kept having chest pains and couldn't decide what to do. The he dropped dead. Problem solved.

Your pain/embarrassment thresholds are probably similar to most people's. But be sensible. Don't brag about your stubbornness; it's not a virtue.

The one thing you don't EVER want to hear from a doctor is, "I'm sorry. There's nothing we can do. If you had only gotten here sooner..."
Oh, you vastly underestimate my embarrassment/modesty quotient as well as my doctor phobia. I went about 25 years between doctor visits. I stopped going to the doctor when I became old enough to stop telling my parents I was ill. When I finally went to the doctor it was because I stepped on the proverbial rusty nail in the barn and it went through my tennis shoe. I got a tetanus shot. Do you think I never got sick in those 25 years? I did. I suffered. And I got better. In attempt to get over my phobia of doctors/trust issues, I joined a vaccine study group for a possible AIDS vaccine. Of all the people throughout the NIH study (still not a large group, because most people weren't willing to be injected with an experimental vaccine), I had the strongest immune response to the vaccine. My body did become stronger because it hadn't had an antibiotic in decades.

I realize that my lackadaisical attitude towards medicine may come back to bite me some day. I now go to the doctor once a year to have my thyroid levels checked, since I had to have that surgically removed. I do get a mammogram, since my mother, sister and aunt have had breast cancer. I accept that cancer is probably in my future - my mother was one of 11 children and 6 had cancer. My father was a non-smoker who died of lung cancer. If I die from my own psychological hangups, so be it. I'm going to die sooner or later.

StG
Old 06-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
My body did become stronger because it hadn't had an antibiotic in decades.

StG
That's a remarkable assertion. Is there any actual evidence to support it? I'm unaware of any credible studies that indicate one's ability to respond to an antigen is based on past antibiotic use, or lack of it.

How was your immune response measured?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Yes, you should go even though you just saw a doctor. Why? Because you didn't get any relief yet. You keep going until you get a solution to your problem. Or until nature solves it for you, as in the example I cited above.

ETA. I can talk to you like this because I'm pretty sure I'm older than your mother. Maybe even than your grandmother.
My mom is saying the exact same thing too. I guess I better call. I'll let them lance it if they will, but like I said, the doctor at the ER said it was too small or too deep to lance yet. Another doctor could very well have a different opinion though. It sure doesn't feel small to me. Deep though, yeah.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
That's a remarkable assertion. Is there any actual evidence to support it? I'm unaware of any credible studies that indicate one's ability to respond to an antigen is based on past antibiotic use, or lack of it.

How was your immune response measured?
The assertion that my body is stronger because it has had to fight off antigens on its own may be incorrect. However, the fact about my immune response was brought up at the AIDS vaccine study annual picnic, and I won a bag of mini Snickers for that fact. The study went like this: They looked for people who had not previously received the smallpox vaccine. They spliced a small part of the outer cover of the AIDS virus with the smallpox vaccine. They cultured the pustule that formed at the injection site several times. I'd guess that's how they knew what antibodies I produced. Study info. I was in the study with Barney Graham, along with my sister and a few other people from my Catholic parish as well as others. Unfortunately, it didn't produce a viable vaccine, nor did it do much to lessen my fear of doctors. Barney was a nice guy, though. It's been over twenty years. It was a different time then, and just suggesting the fact you might be in an AIDS vaccine study was dangerous.

StG
Old 06-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
My mom is saying the exact same thing too. I guess I better call. I'll let them lance it if they will, but like I said, the doctor at the ER said it was too small or too deep to lance yet. Another doctor could very well have a different opinion though. It sure doesn't feel small to me. Deep though, yeah.
Perhaps a hot, moist compress would help bring it to a head.

You're not being a baby. That thing was some of the worst pain I'd ever experienced. I cried and sobbed in a tone that I'd never before heard come from me.

As to why you should see a doctor today when you just saw one, I recall that damn thing went from "what the hell is that?" to inflamed and very painful pretty quickly. If your pain is a whole lot worse today, then maybe it is ready to be lanced.

I had mine lanced by a GP, too, BTW.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Of course other doctors will do it, I already said I do lancings in my office (when appropriate). I would defer the excision to a surgeon.
Well yes, if you're going to quote what I said and not what I meant.

Doctors often recommend a surgeon for lancing a large cyst or something in a dangerous location. I'm sure any doctor will take care of it when appropriate.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Quote:
It's a bit of a hijack but there is a fair amount of evidence that even short term antibiotic courses can have lasting impacts on the diversity of the gut microbiome and further lead to long lasting persitence of resistant bacteria, and there is also some work that suggests that a more diverse microbiome helps fend off pathogenic bacteria and controls inflammation.

So no direct evidence of a stronger or more effective reaction to an antigen (albeit some of varying levels of inflammation in general) but some that at least is highly suggestive of greater resistance to getting an infection as a result of (not just correlated with) decreased antibiotic use.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:37 AM
I have nothing to add, but did feel the need to say my butt hurts after reading this thread.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nion View Post
I have nothing to add, but did feel the need to say my butt hurts after reading this thread.
Those of us with actual butt pain look down on you butt pain wannabes.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
It's a bit of a hijack but there is a fair amount of evidence that even short term antibiotic courses can have lasting impacts on the diversity of the gut microbiome and further lead to long lasting persitence of resistant bacteria, and there is also some work that suggests that a more diverse microbiome helps fend off pathogenic bacteria and controls inflammation.

So no direct evidence of a stronger or more effective reaction to an antigen (albeit some of varying levels of inflammation in general) but some that at least is highly suggestive of greater resistance to getting an infection as a result of (not just correlated with) decreased antibiotic use.
As is well-known, antibiotics are not effective against viruses. So would the effect of antibiotics on gut bacteria have any effect on future viral infections, as opposed to bacterial infections?

Quote:
Those of us with actual butt pain look down on you butt pain wannabes.
Instead of merely looking down on him, you could give him a swift kick in the butt. But then he wouldn't be just a wannabe any more.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Charter Member
Blackberry - Did you go to the doctor?

StG
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Not yet. I'll go today if I can drive myself or tomorrow if I need to get a ride.

I'm so exhausted though that it's hard to even think about getting ready and going. Every single time I go to sleep I wake up 45-60 minutes later like clockwork, even on Vicodin. If it's not my tailbone pain that's waking me up, it's my hips. Laying on my sides is the only position I can be in, and hip joints do not like you to do that for days at a time.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I don't think the antibiotics are helping. At first I thought they might be because I didn't take any pain medication for 8 hours and I wasn't dying, but then I started dying again and the swelling is worse. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow morning and they better help me! And I have to work all day Sunday so I don't know how/if that's supposed to happen I called a nurse hotline last night and they said after it's lanced you definitely have to take narcotic painkillers for a while. I can't really be at work like that I don't think. My boss seriously might fire me if I miss, because apparently missing 3 days of work in a year is just unacceptable. Even though I've said yes all of the many, many times she's asked me to cover her shifts.

Anyway, sorry, I know this is not interesting, but I really have nothing else to do but lay on my side and whine.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Charter Member
Actually, though it may not seem like it, having the swelling increase is a good (though painful) thing because it may drain on its own or be more ready for draining tomorrow. Can you call the doctor today and see if maybe they can work you in? My sincere sympathies on your pain.

StG
Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Do you work Monday?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks StG I hope they can drain it tomorrow, although I'm still scared! I can't go today though because I don't have a ride and I'm not in any position to drive. I hope it's able to be drained tomorrow, seems like it is coming up more to the surface and/or getting bigger. If not, at very least I'll get some more pain meds.

Munch, no, I don't work Monday. I do work Tuesday but only for a few hours in the evening.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM
If it drains you don't have to rush to the doctor or anything. Stand in the shower to wash it off and put a big glob of anti-biotic ointment on it. Mine would drain and dry up pretty quickly.

My best to you in all this, I know how you feel right now. It'll all be over soon.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Yep. My pilonidal cyst was drained, then 18 months later went in for voluntary surgery to have it removed. Logic was that I didn't want it coming back once I went away to school. Surgery was extremely unpleasant but I'm sure its better than it was 25 years ago. My buttcrack is scarred from the surgery but it was a permanent fix to the issue. The draining, the only thing that hurt was the shot.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:17 PM
If I lived near you, I would drive you myself! And take you out for ice cream afterward. Why can't your mom take you?

If you know now that you might miss Monday, call your boss today and give her a heads up. Don't just not show up. That is the kiss of death. One thing if this were a real emergency, but if she asks you, "How long have you known about this?" you're cooked.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:20 PM
BANNED
I wish you well & hope you see the Dr soon!

I'm sorry that I don't seem to have anything useful to add, but this thread "Painful lump on tailbone" was directly under the "What motivates you to perform oral sex?" thread, which just seemed so very wrong....
Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerwam View Post
Yep. My pilonidal cyst was drained, then 18 months later went in for voluntary surgery to have it removed. Logic was that I didn't want it coming back once I went away to school. Surgery was extremely unpleasant but I'm sure its better than it was 25 years ago. My buttcrack is scarred from the surgery but it was a permanent fix to the issue. The draining, the only thing that hurt was the shot.
I'm kind of surprised they let you have it removed after 18 months with it not recurring. I would want to do that if possible, just to make sure this never happens again, but they'll probably say no anyway. I have Medicaid and that affects the care you get. I'm glad to hear the lancing wasn't too bad though. Did they give the shot off to the side or right in the middle of the cyst? Because right in the cyst sounds like torture!

Quote:
If I lived near you, I would drive you myself! And take you out for ice cream afterward. Why can't your mom take you?

If you know now that you might miss Monday, call your boss today and give her a heads up. Don't just not show up. That is the kiss of death. One thing if this were a real emergency, but if she asks you, "How long have you known about this?" you're cooked.
Thanks for the thought My mom had to work today. She tried to get me to go yesterday but I didn't want to. I would be fine to wait until tomorrow except I just took my last Vicodin so now I don't know what I'm going to do :/

My boss doesn't care what the reason is or how much notice she gets or anything, she seriously doesn't let us take any time off. It's ridiculous, but I need the job. I already told her about it on Tuesday anyway, but from her reaction I may as well have said I might need time off to go on a meth binge or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blucher View Post
I wish you well & hope you see the Dr soon!

I'm sorry that I don't seem to have anything useful to add, but this thread "Painful lump on tailbone" was directly under the "What motivates you to perform oral sex?" thread, which just seemed so very wrong....
Haha well that's gross.