Old 07-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Charter Member
Room-to-room intercom?

I'm thinking of getting an intercom, so that when I'm ensconced in my basement lair, my wife will have an easy way to get to me, especially if I aciddentally leave my phone elsewhere, it's dead, or there's no signal.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm not very handy, so installing a wire-based system would be less preferable. How good are FM-radio signal based intercoms? How cheap can I go? I'd be grateful for any guidance on this.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Cordless phones with multiple handsets work as intercoms.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Cheap walkie-talkies. If you just have the basement one on the charger in the "on" position all the time, it should work just fine for what you need. My parents bought a set to use in a similar manner, and they're also useful when boating.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:43 PM
When my son was young we had an intercom in our home and it was quite handy. It was some kind of cheap wireless set from Radio Shack or Sears or something. It worked perfectly fine for a couple of years, then started buzzing and crackling all the time, but by then we were pretty much done with it anyway. They are much handier than cell phones - just push a button and talk. And they plug into a wall socket, so no batteries to dick with endlessly. The reason it made sense for us is that the house has 6 levels, and nobody wants to walk up and down flights of stairs just to tell someone "dinner's ready" or "we're leaving in 5 minutes."
Old 07-14-2013, 07:04 PM
BANNED
Wired systems will work best, the wireless will be cheapest (and she'll expect you to have good batteries in it if I'm reading between the lines correctly).

Lastly, exchanges like "Engineering to Galley: Repairs will take 20 more minutes, so you'll have to reschedule that meal..." only work on Star Trek.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Baby Monitor with 2 way talk. $67 wireless and reaches 1000 ft
http://walmart.com/ip/11993476?w...196670&veh=sem

Quote:
Keep tabs on your baby while you are away with the Philips AVENT Baby Monitor with DECT Technology. Place the monitor near your babys cradle, the receiver near you, and monitor your baby from as far as 1,000 feet away. The Phillips baby monitor unit includes a nightlight. The DECT technology guarantees a secure connection with crystal-clear clarity and zero interference to provide assurance that your babys fine. This talk back baby monitor allows two-way communication, so you can comfort your baby from anywhere. It features LED lights that get activated to display different levels of sound.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-14-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:11 PM
This is quite simple and easy.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blucher View Post
(and she'll expect you to have good batteries in it if I'm reading between the lines correctly).

Quote:
Lastly, exchanges like "Engineering to Galley: Repairs will take 20 more minutes, so you'll have to reschedule that meal..." only work on Star Trek.
I'm having a very hard time resisting this.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrendajo View Post
the house has 6 levels
I'm trying to picture how this is even possible (never mind practical), unless you're super-rich and have a whole apartment complex to yourself?

If you are super-rich, can I borrow 20 bucks?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:14 PM
the multihandset cordless phone that allows intercom or a Family Radio Service radio are best solution.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Bigfoot View Post
I'm trying to picture how this is even possible (never mind practical), unless you're super-rich and have a whole apartment complex to yourself?

If you are super-rich, can I borrow 20 bucks?
He might live in one of those town houses that are only 10 feet wide.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Philly has many of those.

We had wired intercoms when I was growing up. My Mom's yelling always worked better. Their main use was for us kids to spy on our parent's private coversations!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
Cordless phones with multiple handsets work as intercoms.
This is what I was coming to propose. We use it whenever anybody is sick; in your case I'd recommend having one of the chargers in the basement and another in the living room or the kitchen.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Charter Member
I decided to go with this --

http://radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036287