Old 07-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Ladies with fine/slippery hair: I need headband advice!

I currently have hair that's not *quite* long enough to put back in any sort of ponytails, so I'm stuck with using headbands when working out. With any sort of intense exercise, I've had trouble with headbands and bandanas falling out, even the thin ones with the grips on them. These stretchy comb headbands work well, but the newer ones seem to be so cheap that they break every fifth wearing. Has anyone had good luck with any of the following products?

The first looks like it is made of some sort of stretchy material, and the other two have velvet backing. Not having tried either method, I'm not sure if it'd work out. Advice?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Sweaty Bands have velvet backing and work VERY well. I find they don't slide...
Old 07-21-2013, 07:00 PM
The only band that will stay in my hair by itself are these metal comb bands that are increasingly hard to find, otherwise I opt for something fairly thin that can be secured with snap clips at the temples to keep it in place.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 PM
I have had good luck with Scunci hard plastic headbands with no-slip grip , but they can be hard to find.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:02 PM
I have fine hair and use a headband like this when I work out. I got it at Target for around $5.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:40 AM
Thanks guys! I've got a few options to look at, and might try the Sweaty Bands, as my head is frequently a little large for hard plastic/metal headbands.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:09 AM
The only success I've had is to hairspray the crap out of the front of my hair. Gives it more grip, and if you shower after working out, it quickly washes out. Use a 'volumising' product rather than a 'sleek' product, if you know what I mean.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashiitashii View Post
Thanks guys! I've got a few options to look at, and might try the Sweaty Bands, as my head is frequently a little large for hard plastic/metal headbands.
Ooh, I can't wear the plastic ones, they make dents in my head and give me a headache. The metal ones I linked to can be pulled apart/bent however you need and stay that way. Very comfortable! It's all so personal, though. I love the stretchy pull-on types, the way they look, but I have just the right shaped head that unless they're in front of my hairline along my forehead, they don't stay on and gradually shrink and slip backwards, or up the back even if I have clips in. A bit comical.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Perhaps they make headbands, etc. for children and/or girls, and you could experiment with them. Obviously, they would be in a smaller size. I have been buying children's sunglasses for myself for the past several years, as the adult sunglasses would start to fall off if I leaned over. The children's sunglasses work great for me.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney Harper View Post
Perhaps they make headbands, etc. for children and/or girls, and you could experiment with them. Obviously, they would be in a smaller size. I have been buying children's sunglasses for myself for the past several years, as the adult sunglasses would start to fall off if I leaned over. The children's sunglasses work great for me.
I'm man sized. This would not be helpful for me.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashiitashii View Post
There are several sellers on Etsy, it's also cheap to make your own...
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
The only band that will stay in my hair by itself are these metal comb bands that are increasingly hard to find, otherwise I opt for something fairly thin that can be secured with snap clips at the temples to keep it in place.
I've seen those in all the Dollar Tree stores here in Utah. The only headband I can get to stay in place but not break hairs AND look good I got at Dollar Tree.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:42 AM
I can vouch for Sweatybands- we use them down here in south FL for diving, hiking and every day stuff. They do not slide, period, even when you're very active. The only ones I've ever found that work that well.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Not a lady, but my wife swears by Sweaty Bands. You can search for stores that carry them on the website already provided.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 PM
spam reported

I'm going to try those metal hairbands. I'm tired of them breaking.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 AM
I've used a Sweaty Band for a while. It was expensive for what it was, if you're handy with a sewing machine, you could easily whip up a few for a lot less.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:30 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra_nz View Post
The only success I've had is to hairspray the crap out of the front of my hair. Gives it more grip, and if you shower after working out, it quickly washes out. Use a 'volumising' product rather than a 'sleek' product, if you know what I mean.
What she said. Most hair products to volumize hair will have this effect. They make the hair bigger and have more grip. Dry shampoo (sort of talcum powder in a spray can) also is an excellent product for this.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Look up "Bondi Bands". They're marketed to runners, but I find they stay put perfectly.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
Not a lady, but my wife swears by Sweaty Bands. You can search for stores that carry them on the website already provided.
That's no lady, that's my wife?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Now that I'm done with my silly digression--I'm also a fan of Sweaty Bands.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
What she said. Most hair products to volumize hair will have this effect. They make the hair bigger and have more grip. Dry shampoo (sort of talcum powder in a spray can) also is an excellent product for this.
Hairspray or other kind of styling product that makes hair less smooth will help. I have found that a headband that's loose stays better than one that's tight. Counterintuitive but it's true.