#1
Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Majikal Land O' Cheeze!
Posts: 9,982
Strange speed limit sign

I've posted this before in years past, but I was in the area recently and decided to post it again.

In Washington County, Wisconsin, between the City of West Bend and the Village of Jackson, there is a hospital in a rural area, right across the freeway from the county fair park.

There is a road that the circles the hospital. On both sides of the road for both directions of the road there are Speed Limit signs that say "22.5".



The 22 is unusual enough, but the "point 5" really throws me.

Anyone else think this is really weird?
#2
Old 07-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 4,965
The idea is that having a funny number will make you actually notice it instead of just ignoring the invisible 25 MPH sign. It's clearly working!
#3
Old 07-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 36,831
I'm wondering how many meetings took place, and whether anybody suffered bodily harm in the fight between those who wanted the limit to be 20 and those who wanted it at 25.
#4
Old 07-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 20,519
This is my favorite speed limit sign.
#5
Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Majikal Land O' Cheeze!
Posts: 9,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyJack View Post
The idea is that having a funny number will make you actually notice it instead of just ignoring the invisible 25 MPH sign. It's clearly working!
Actually I was talking to my sisters husband and his brother yesterday and this was a consensus we came to. But it's still quite weird.
#6
Old 07-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 26,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I'm wondering how many meetings took place, and whether anybody suffered bodily harm in the fight between those who wanted the limit to be 20 and those who wanted it at 25.
I was thinking it was originally 45mph and it (or all speed limits in some certain area or zone) were cut in half.
#7
Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Oregon
Posts: 1,279
I agree with the "to get your attention" theory. There are speed bumps in Sacramento posted at 17 mph, for I presume the same reason.
#8
Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Baroni&Kelly's Jail.
Posts: 13,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I was thinking it was originally 45mph and it (or all speed limits in some certain area or zone) were cut in half.
It could be 23 MPH. Especially when the driver is rounding 1st St and on their way to 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
There are speed bumps in Sacramento posted at 17 mph, for I presume the same reason.
"Hey, why do the new guys in the 5K always get the number 17?"
"Don't ask."
#9
Old 07-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I figured I'd find that posted here. Which is totally fine, because it's hilarious! But just in case anyone thinks otherwise, it's an entry from a Cracked.com Photoshop contest a few years ago asking what the world would look like if sarcasm were allowed everywhere. It went viral as supposedly being real. ETA: Oh, wait- this one actually has the Cracked logo in the corner. Well, OK then. Perhaps I should pay closer attention.

Also, I remember sometime during the 1980's when the New Market shopping center opened in Columbus OH. Signs in the parking lot posted a speed limit of 14 m.p.h. Dunno if the signs or even the shopping center are still there, but I still remember how odd that seemed.

Last edited by Haunted Pasta; 07-24-2013 at 01:43 PM.
#10
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 20,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted Pasta View Post
I figured I'd find that posted here. Which is totally fine, because it's hilarious! But just in case anyone thinks otherwise, it's an entry from a Cracked.com Photoshop contest a few years ago asking what the world would look like if sarcasm were allowed everywhere. It went viral as supposedly being real. ETA: Oh, wait- this one actually has the Cracked logo in the corner. Well, OK then. Perhaps I should pay closer attention.
I would never cut a logo or artist name from any creative work. That pic is funny as hell and people deserve to know where it came from, is my take on things.

Also, is there a sticky somewhere that I missed titled "Please spoil all pranks/funny stuff on the SDMB"? Did everyone see it but Nzinga and I?
#11
Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southeast of something
Posts: 3,600
Opryland in Nashville has a speed limit listed as 24 mph. From what I heard, it's for the same reason, so you pay attention.
#12
Old 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hampshire, England
Posts: 13,356
Just the other day I saw a speed limit sign in a car park saying 8mph. Pretty pointless specifying a number like that, as most speedometers don't read anything like accurately at those sort of speeds. Lots of them don't even have graduations below 10mph or so.

Last edited by Colophon; 07-24-2013 at 02:31 PM.
#13
Old 07-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
Just the other day I saw a speed limit sign in a car park saying 8mph. Pretty pointless specifying a number like that, as most speedometers don't read anything like accurately at those sort of speeds. Lots of them don't even have graduations below 10mph or so.
There was a comedian who had a routine about getting chased down by a security guard in the shopping mall parking lot (speed limit 5mph): "SLOW DOWN YOU MANIAC! YOU'RE GOING 6!!!"
#14
Old 07-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: F.O.S.O.N.E.
Posts: 19,903
Not a speed limit sign, but the most thoroughly weird (real) traffic sign I know of is on the entry lane to a BJs Wholesale parking lot. I can get a pic of it next time I'm there, but from memory, it reads:

"NO MOTORCYCLES AFTER 6:00 PM. VIOLATORS WILL BE TICKETED AND TOWED."

No one I've asked so far, including store management, has any idea what the sign is supposed to mean (in functional terms) or why it's there.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 07-24-2013 at 03:44 PM.
#15
Old 07-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,636
This has to be my favorite speed limit sign.

"The sign instructs drivers to slow down to 25 mph between 6:49-7:15, 7:52-8:22 and 8:37-9:07 during the morning and 2:03-2:33, 3:04-3:34 and 3:59-4:29 during the afternoon on school days."
#16
Old 07-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 27,202
The one I remember most was a housing complex with a posted speed limit of 19mph. This, unlike other examples in this thread, makes some sense since people may subconsciously think "oh, 20mph? I'm only going 24mph so I'm good!" whereas if it's 19, the "1" make have more precedence and so they may be more likely to just go 19 or 20.
#17
Old 07-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 26,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
This has to be my favorite speed limit sign.

"The sign instructs drivers to slow down to 25 mph between 6:49-7:15, 7:52-8:22 and 8:37-9:07 during the morning and 2:03-2:33, 3:04-3:34 and 3:59-4:29 during the afternoon on school days."
Looking at the sign 6:30-9:30am and 2:00-4:30pm would have been a lot easier. Or a flashing light with a timer and a sign that says "Speed limit 25 MPH when flashing"
#18
Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Near the GT eeehhhh...
Posts: 27,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
There is a road that the circles the hospital. On both sides of the road for both directions of the road there are Speed Limit signs that say "22.5".



The 22 is unusual enough, but the "point 5" really throws me.

Anyone else think this is really weird?
It's not some even number of km/h, is it?

:: checks Google ::

No, 22.5 mph = 36.2 km/h.
#19
Old 07-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Majikal Land O' Cheeze!
Posts: 9,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
It's not some even number of km/h, is it?

:: checks Google ::

No, 22.5 mph = 36.2 km/h.
Nah. It's in the U.S. so there wouldn't be any metrics involved. Except of course in Puerto Rico where the speed limits are in miles per hour but the distance signs are in kilometers! You get totally discombobulated trying to calculate how long it's going to take you to get somewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
This has to be my favorite speed limit sign.
Jezus Cripes!
#20
Old 07-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: The Middle of Nowhere, WI
Posts: 10,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
This has to be my favorite speed limit sign.

"The sign instructs drivers to slow down to 25 mph between 6:49-7:15, 7:52-8:22 and 8:37-9:07 during the morning and 2:03-2:33, 3:04-3:34 and 3:59-4:29 during the afternoon on school days."
Cripes. Just make it 6:459:15 am and 2:004:30 pm.
#21
Old 07-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Near the GT eeehhhh...
Posts: 27,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
Nah. It's in the U.S. so there wouldn't be any metrics involved. Except of course in Puerto Rico where the speed limits are in miles per hour but the distance signs are in kilometers! You get totally discombobulated trying to calculate how long it's going to take you to get somewhere!
That's even more messed up than the UK!
#22
Old 07-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast of USA
Posts: 3,278
Even stranger:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...area-highways/
#23
Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 31,863
I've seen a 75 mph limit posted in a Hudson Valley park. Thing is, attempting to do 75 in that park would likely result in the vehicle being launched over a hill and into a tree.
#24
Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,477
The speed limit signs that are not in multiples of 5 mph are in violation of federal law because the Federal Highway Administration's "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices"

http://mutc.fhwa.dot.gov

requires that for all public streets and private streets open to public travel, to wit:


"Section 2B.13 Speed Limit Sign (R2-1)

Standard:
01 Speed zones (other than statutory speed limits) shall only be established on the basis of an engineering study that has been performed in accordance with traffic engineering practices. The engineering study shall include an analysis of the current speed distribution of free-flowing vehicles.

02 The Speed Limit (R2-1) sign (see Figure 2B-3) shall display the limit established by law, ordinance, regulation, or as adopted by the authorized agency based on the engineering study. The speed limits displayed shall be in multiples of 5 mph."

Last edited by Ignatz; 07-24-2013 at 08:01 PM.
#25
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: the far side
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdname View Post
It's true, those signs are dangerous. I cracked up and almost drove into the marsh when I saw one for the first time. That's one form of vandalism that I appreciate. Of course, whenever I see "Speed Enforced By Radar", I picture a short, balding Army clerk sitting in a cruiser, so maybe I'm not the typical driver.
#26
Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: KC MO or there abouts
Posts: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
[snip]
Also, is there a sticky somewhere that I missed titled "Please spoil all pranks/funny stuff on the SDMB"? Did everyone see it but Nzinga and I?
I wouldn't get too worked up over it. After all, we got to enjoy the prank AND have our ignorance fought.

Last edited by BubbaDog; 07-25-2013 at 08:55 AM.
#27
Old 07-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: somewhere East of there
Posts: 8,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
Just the other day I saw a speed limit sign in a car park saying 8mph. Pretty pointless specifying a number like that, as most speedometers don't read anything like accurately at those sort of speeds. Lots of them don't even have graduations below 10mph or so.
You used to have to stop at a toll booth to pay a toll, then EZ-Pass, the automated toll system in the NE US came into being so you don't need to stop anymore. Since the narrow toll booths still exist, they want you to slow down when going thru them. Their 'solution': 5mph speed limit signs. Most cars don't even have a speedometer indicator below 10mph.
#28
Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 5,277
My favorite speed limit sign.
#29
Old 07-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Majikal Land O' Cheeze!
Posts: 9,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
My favorite speed limit sign.
There used to be something vaguely similar to that in the U.S.. Back in '96 I was doing over 90* east of Billings and the highway crew trucks went flying by me.

















*The car I had at the time, a '96 Pontiac Grand Prix, had a governor on it and would shut down @ 100!
#30
Old 07-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Trantor
Posts: 11,234
When my son left the NYC DOT several years ago, someone had a No Parking type sign made up as a going away gift that said:

No Parking
Except
Har Seldon, Jr.

Yes, this is real (except for the name).
#31
Old 07-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: The Cheese Belt
Posts: 4,766
Since this is MPSIMS, here's a pointless thing I can share. pk my son was born in that hospital exactly 7 months ago
#32
Old 07-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyJack View Post
The idea is that having a funny number will make you actually notice it instead of just ignoring the invisible 25 MPH sign. It's clearly working!
Exactly. That's the way those odd-ball signs have always been explained to me.

On a related note, how common is it to see exit ramp distances not marked with a 2,4,8 or possibly 16 denominator? I ask because I was driving into Buffalo from Batavia, and one of the exit signs caught my attention with something like "Exit 2/10 mile" or "2/5" or something similar. I had never seen anything but a power of 2 as the denominator, and that's the only one I remember seeing since.
#33
Old 07-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
The speed limit signs that are not in multiples of 5 mph are in violation of federal law because the Federal Highway Administration's "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices"
Aren't those "novelty" signs usually on private property, though? Does that make a difference? (I've never seen one on a public roadway, myself.)
#34
Old 07-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 5,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
*The car I had at the time, a '96 Pontiac Grand Prix, had a governor on it and would shut down @ 100!
The first time I drove on the Autobahn many years ago, I was in my early 20s...I rented some kind of small-ish car (maybe a VW?), got out on the road all full of trepidation and excitement, and...goddamnit! The thing wouldn't go faster than 95 mph! When I returned it they said it had a "speed limiter" on it.

I've rented faster cars there (Audis in particular) since then, but I'm older now...and other than one for-the-hell-of-it foray up to 130, I haven't pushed more than 110 or 115.
#35
Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida
Posts: 5,027
It's not a speed limit sign, but I chuckle every time I see this No U-Turn sign..

There's another one a bit down the road that lists something like 970 yards.
#36
Old 07-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Posts: 1,964
I don't even know how one would go about looking for it online but there are some very amusing signs on the west coast of British Columbia featuring a young kid getting smoked by a sports car. I took a picture of one a long time ago but it was on analog source and I never got around to scanning it. But if anyone has seen one of these, you'd know what I mean right away. It's very eye-catching.
#37
Old 07-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Exactly. That's the way those odd-ball signs have always been explained to me.

On a related note, how common is it to see exit ramp distances not marked with a 2,4,8 or possibly 16 denominator? I ask because I was driving into Buffalo from Batavia, and one of the exit signs caught my attention with something like "Exit 2/10 mile" or "2/5" or something similar. I had never seen anything but a power of 2 as the denominator, and that's the only one I remember seeing since.
I can think of at least one exit sign in my area that gives the distance in feet (IIRC, 700 feet).
#38
Old 07-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Flatlander in NH
Posts: 24,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Exactly. That's the way those odd-ball signs have always been explained to me.

On a related note, how common is it to see exit ramp distances not marked with a 2,4,8 or possibly 16 denominator? I ask because I was driving into Buffalo from Batavia, and one of the exit signs caught my attention with something like "Exit 2/10 mile" or "2/5" or something similar. I had never seen anything but a power of 2 as the denominator, and that's the only one I remember seeing since.
And why do they tell you to change your tires when they have 2/32 of an inch left, and not 1/16?
#39
Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
I can think of at least one exit sign in my area that gives the distance in feet (IIRC, 700 feet).
Oh, I'm pretty sure I've seen something like 500 feet or similar. Just the fractional mileage notation that was a little different than usual.
#40
Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher View Post
I've seen a 75 mph limit posted in a Hudson Valley park. Thing is, attempting to do 75 in that park would likely result in the vehicle being launched over a hill and into a tree.
I have been in many HV parks and never seen this one. Sounds quite cool. Which park, if I may ask?
#41
Old 07-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 10,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgard View Post
There was a comedian who had a routine about getting chased down by a security guard in the shopping mall parking lot (speed limit 5mph): "SLOW DOWN YOU MANIAC! YOU'RE GOING 6!!!"
There was an episode of The Waltons where the mother and grandmother were driving into town for some reason and the grandmother exclaimed, "Slow down! You're going almost 25!"
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: digital channel modulator cent keyboard iceland overthrowing government pack sand amca collections cake drugs slang lablue fire submarine anchors gov't cheese diplomatic rank what is passata two lemons nipples point out teamwork analogy spanish papi suicide by drowning shit censored split beaver pelt about kayaks corked hat clear piss comedic timing paxil ejaculation twisted nursery rhymes full lips blowjob shick personal touch alums vs alumni trimps decay cats and snakes made up villains confederate jasmine seeds auto solar fans paraphilia statistics slip me a mickey nana nana boo boo stick your head in doo doo 24 hour fever virus the man show ziggy zoggy malibu rum mixed with soda does amazon count saturday as a business day where is the valet switch located david blaine needle through arm youtube siskel and ebert fighting estes rocket engines not igniting alternatives to shredding paper biggest lies in the world sharon stone basic instinct crotch shot dachshund back legs not working bands that sound like weezer august and everything after album cover difference between aneurysm and blood clot what are riot shields made of ed d or ed d side view mirror with turn signal amazon temporarily out of stock price change remove feces stains from underwear limburger cheese spread in a jar high chair for counter height table crusader kings 2 legitimize bastard difference between boric acid and borax paypal won't let me remove bank account a1 vs heinz 57 hotter than a 2 dollar pistol how to install banished colonial charter zoom box 350 boston mass 02134 the shining bear scene explained what are the packets in beef jerky new glasses headache astigmatism woodchucks chucking wood commercial how to pronounce van gogh in dutch