Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 AM
Have the Pawn Stars Screwed The Experts Who Helped Make Them?

I am a latecomer to this show and I notice that almost all the old experts they used to use are no longer on the show. I have heard that the old arms guy Saun Rich (?) claimed that the show demanded that he sign a restrictive contract to remain on the show.

So...whats the truth?

Hated last season as it played out so phony. It seemed like they were trying to make Chumlee into a star.

What are your thoughts?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Well, Shaun Rich has his own show, "Lords of War" on National Geographic, which is probably why you don't see him as much. Plus, you have Danny Koker's "Counting Cars" and Rick Dale's "American Restoration."
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 AM
At least two of them got their own shows:

http://history.com/shows/countin...anny-the-count

http://history.com/shows/america...cast/rick-dale

So they certainly didn't get screwed.

Dammit! Ninja'd.

Last edited by muldoonthief; 08-09-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Dammit,
Old 08-09-2013, 11:05 AM
They need to buy more books so we can see more of Rebecca the Book Babe.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 AM
I've heard most of the show is fabricated just like most reality tv shows. A lot of the items are already owned by the local experts and are staged to look like they're being brought in off the street by average joe.
Others are interesting items owned by people who are asked to be on the show to pose as sellers but aren't really selling their items.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:43 AM
We always made fun of the old autograph guy they'd have in. He'd always bring in this giant case and pull out a huge magnifying glass. Don't remember anything else being shown from the case. Always looked like he was wearing a toupee too.

This season they seem to have dumped him for someone from PSA....
Old 08-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Or just give her a show of her own. I'd be happy with that.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Johnny the Toy expert is one of the few original experts still on. But I don't see many old toys on the show anymore.

They had a Louis Armstrong Tin Toy this week and didn't bring in an expert.

I think they still use the same Guitar expert from a local shop? Can't recall his name.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-09-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Lemme call a buddy of mine who's an expert on Pawn Stars experts.

Last edited by joebuck20; 08-09-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Here's what seems to be the most recent list of experts they use.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Has anyone else read Rick Harrison's book? I did, and it's quite funny and a good story. However, throughout the book, he talks about how much he loves his wife, and they had already separated by the time the book was released. I understand he left her for a woman who used to be a man.

http://amazon.com/License-Pawn-D...icense+to+pawn
Old 08-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
Lemme call a buddy of mine who's an expert on Pawn Stars experts.
Well played.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Charter Member
What happened to Olivia, the girl with the tats that Chumlee was always mooning over?
Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
+1
Old 08-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
What happened to Olivia, the girl with the tats that Chumlee was always mooning over?
I think she's mostly on nights and I don't think they do a lot of filming (or have much business) at night.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Oops, my bad, apparently she was fired.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
I've heard most of the show is fabricated just like most reality tv shows. A lot of the items are already owned by the local experts and are staged to look like they're being brought in off the street by average joe.
Others are interesting items owned by people who are asked to be on the show to pose as sellers but aren't really selling their items.
Plus Rick/Hoss/Old Man can't even work the front of the store anymore due to the crowds. They also can't ever have cameras filming while people are actually conducting trades in the store due to confidentiality laws, so in the "I found this in my grandmother's ashes and it looks like it's General Patton's class ring" scenes it's so staged that the customers you see milling around in the back are really extras and the store is closed for shooting.

Last edited by Sampiro; 08-09-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Thank you for all the responses.

Im enjoying the newest episodes a lot less than the older ones. YMMV.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Has anyone else read Rick Harrison's book? I did, and it's quite funny and a good story...
Yep, read the book. Some interesting stuff about his/their life and about the pawn business (especially in Vegas). I also remember him making a point about how in the pawn business you really need to know your stuff about what things are worth because customers won't put up with you taking time to research the value, even a quick internet lookup. On they show, it looks like 80% or more of the stuff brought in they have to have "a buddy of mine" take a look at.

I'm also put off, to the point of dropping the show, with the attempt to put all of the (fake?) controversy between the players. I don't watch the tube to see people argue (although apparently a lot of people must really get off on it with as many shows that feature it).

Ever notice how most of the montage shots of customers milling around always include at least one cleavage shot?

I would really like to see at least one episode dedicated to all the items they have bought in the past and show how much they actually sold for and how long it took them to sell. Although the sell time may have been greatly reduced because of the advertising the stuff gets from being on the show.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruh-roh View Post
I also remember him making a point about how in the pawn business you really need to know your stuff about what things are worth because customers won't put up with you taking time to research the value, even a quick internet lookup. On they show, it looks like 80% or more of the stuff brought in they have to have "a buddy of mine" take a look at.
Oh god how boring would a half hour of "I got this watch"/"I'll give you $50 pawn for it" be?

So 90% of the stuff that comes in they can't film (because it's pawn, or boring) and that stuff is the stuff that the Harrisons and their best workers are able to deal with without help. Then on the show they do deal with a little less than half of the stuff without help (and then some of the time they get it wrong!) The biggest most exciting stuff requires an expert and that makes for better TV because it's got a bit of a storyline. So that's like 6% of the shit that comes into the shop requires an expert. Not too bad.

I don't think anyone is supposed to think that we're watching normal business-as-usual at Gold & Silver. That's not what the show's about. It's about the junk!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I don't think anyone is supposed to think that we're watching normal business-as-usual at Gold & Silver. That's not what the show's about. It's about the junk!
I agree with you wholeheartedly. From "The $64,000 Dollar Question" to even a lot of documentaries, it is all contrived in a thinly veiled attempt to disguise entertainment as a bid to sell advertising.

I enjoy seeing the "junk", and even learn something once in a while. But why maintain the fantasy of it's being just another day in the pawn shop? In the book, Rick says they don't/can't even work the counter anymore. Too many tourists, gawkers and groupees. Just have people bring stuff in and let the experts appraise it. Oh, wait, that's been done. It's called Antiques Roadshow. Maybe both shows could learn something from each other and both come out better.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Thank you for all the responses.

Im enjoying the newest episodes a lot less than the older ones. YMMV.
I'm sure Corey's "attitude" is a put-on for ratings, but I don't like him as much since he became a partner.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Quote:
I'm sure Corey's "attitude" is a put-on for ratings, but I don't like him as much since he became a partner.
I agree. The Chumlee character has evolved from being a Homer Simpson like bufoon to is a prankster who out-thinks Corey and who demands to be taken seriously.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:13 PM
BANNED
I always scratch my head at people who think Pawn Stars is fake and point it out and then think the show is ruined.

I mean, really? Of course it's fake. Of course the main guys aren't actually standing around the shop, filming 24/7 and then editing in the good stuff. And I don't think for a minute we are supposed to actually believe that what we see on the cameras is "business as usual" at their pawn store.

I thought pretty much everyone just knew or could figure out rather quickly that the deals we see go down on the show have been screened and selected for ahead of time, by people who probably watch the show and know they have something interesting that might give them a chance of getting on TV. So a lot of it is basically people trying to get on TV, they have something interesting, they might not even really want to sell it at all, but they bring it anyway, and we all learn a little bit of history or something in the mean time.

Now, if the producers or experts are actually supplying the goods themselves to random Joes and then asking them to pretend to sell something, THAT would kind of kill the show and ruin the magic of it. And I have heard several places that it does happen. I've heard that producers will have an interesting item, and ask some random person if they want to be on TV, and give them a basic idea of what to say and do during the haggling. I don't know how substantiated these claims are though, but if they are true, it's disheartening.

As to the drama and subway advertising they do on the show, I roll my eyes at it but sometimes its kinda funny. I could easily do without it of course, but it doesn't ruin the show for me.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
I mean, really? Of course it's fake. Of course the main guys aren't actually standing around the shop, filming 24/7 and then editing in the good stuff. And I don't think for a minute we are supposed to actually believe that what we see on the cameras is "business as usual" at their pawn store.
There's fake and then there's faaaaaake. Of course I didn't think they stood in the shop 24/7 waiting for something to happen but when I started watching the show I actually thought people brought interesting items into the store from time to time. I didn't think they represented the typical pawn shop in American but then I thought that's why they got the show in the first place.

Quote:
I thought pretty much everyone just knew or could figure out rather quickly that the deals we see go down on the show have been screened and selected for ahead of time, by people who probably watch the show and know they have something interesting that might give them a chance of getting on TV.
That might be staged but it isn't faaaaake. In some cases I certainly thought the owner of the item brought it on the show to essentially advertise to the world at large what he has. That dude with the piece of sunken treasure comes immediately to mind.

Quote:
As to the drama and subway advertising they do on the show, I roll my eyes at it but sometimes its kinda funny. I could easily do without it of course, but it doesn't ruin the show for me.
I guess they must have started early with that stuff because Chumlee was the designated idiot from day one. I got a bit tired of the "drama," the stupid Subway ads and when they hired Olivia Black I was sure it was for the ratings her sex appeal would bring the show rather than anything to do with her ability to work in a pawn shop. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded Subway product placements I just hated the advertisements unnaturally added to the program. "Hey, I got you some Subway for breakfast." Wow, is Subway serving breakfast know! Is it a coincidence that we're all eating Subway for breakfast amid the national ad campaign informing people that they now serve breakfast?

So, yeah, I've found the staged aspects of the show to have gotten more annoying over the years and I watch the program on fewer occasions.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 PM
A Pawn Stars related hijack:

If there were a Pawn Stars Only Death Pool..who would you pick to go first?

I think Corey will be the first to die. He looks mighty unhealthy. And life can be cruel like that: Give you fame and money and then yank it away from you.

2-Old Man for obvious reasons

3-Rick....think he is a coronary ticking timebomb

4-Chumlee...I think he will live a long life..he seems to be the lucky in life sort.

Last edited by madsircool; 08-09-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Corey's lost a lot of weight over the past couple of years. He had lap band surgery a while back.

As for Olivia, when they were doing the hiring, I knew she'd be the one, because she showed up for that interview in a white tank dress that looked like it had been sprayed on, with black undergarments.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Interesting - I don't watch enough to know, so I looked her up. She's at Bauman's Rare Books' Vegas branch. They're based in Philly, but have a branch on Madison at 55th in NYC. They are who I have "fenced" my first editions to when I either needed to sell (who knew a set of the four Pooh books could pay for a big chunk of kitchen work?) or as I sold books to pursue old guitars (which is why one of my old Martins is named Atticus).

Bauman's is super-high-end - I could never afford to buy from them, but love the fact that they pay top dollar for good books in good condition. I found a first of Conrad's Youth (3 novellas; first hardback appearance of Heart of Darkness) for ~$400 and sold it to them a few years later for 10x that, which means they listed it for at least $6,000 - like I said, top dollar.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Corey's lost a lot of weight over the past couple of years. He had lap band surgery a while back.
Plus Rick has one of the worst smoker's wheezes ever. The guy must smoke 3 packs a day. He once said in an interview that the two things you'll never see on the show are the Pawn Stars smoking or Rick's little boy, of whom he's very protective. (Has the Old Woman [Rick's mother] ever been shown?)

Of course I was surprised to learn that the Old Man is only in his early 70s. He seems older.

Though I'd go with Chumless to be the first to die (not blood kin, but close).
Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Charter Member
In Rick's book he says that everyone (excepting the Old Man) went through their drug phases, but as far as I can tell they are all set now. Rick's got a new wife and a younger son with his middle wife (or wife after Hoss's mom). Corey is married to his high school sweetheart and AFAIK has a kid. Chumlee is looked after by the Harrisons and he probably spends all his A&E money on shoes and pizza. Plus he's obviously playing a bit more dumb than he really is.

Doesn't seem like any of them are going to go back to drugs because of fame. Seems like they enjoy being famous and having money.

I say the old man would go first, then Rick.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Quote:
I understand he left her for a woman who used to be a man.

http://amazon.com/License-Pawn-D...icense+to+pawn
I cant find any evidence of this?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Charter Member
Mark Hall-Patterson is interesting. In Pawn Stars he is identified as the Director of the Clark County Museum System, but in American Restoration, he is always the head of some railroad museum (which, of course, could be run by Clark County). Strange, though that he is identified in two different ways.

Bob
Old 08-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Unless Rick and his new wife recently had a baby, his young son is by his second wife. There's another adult brother, named IIRC Adam but he doesn't work in the family business.

The Old Man's wife/Rick's mom is in poor health, and that's why she hasn't been on the show. Rick is her spitting image.

The Old Man's first child was a little girl who had Down Syndrome and died from complications of this at the age of 6. Rick was a toddler at the time and barely remembers her.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Thats such a sad story. They managed to keep things together and make a successful business. Good for them.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
In Rick's book he says that everyone (excepting the Old Man) went through their drug phases, but as far as I can tell they are all set now. Rick's got a new wife and a younger son with his middle wife (or wife after Hoss's mom). Corey is married to his high school sweetheart and AFAIK has a kid. Chumlee is looked after by the Harrisons and he probably spends all his A&E money on shoes and pizza. Plus he's obviously playing a bit more dumb than he really is.

Doesn't seem like any of them are going to go back to drugs because of fame. Seems like they enjoy being famous and having money.

I say the old man would go first, then Rick.
Chum Lee is spending at least some of his cash on his girlfriend... He was on TMZ earlier this year when he bought her implants for her birthday.

http://tmz.com/2013/03/28/chumle...birthday-gift/
Old 08-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Charter Member
Right, he bought her the implants.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:22 AM
I love my DVR. I now watch the whole show in 6-7 minutes. What is the funky object of the moment and what's it worth?

I always knew it was contrived, but it's painfully so now.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Quote:
Guess which letter of this post I misread.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:57 PM
"a"
Old 08-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Correct!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:35 PM
This is the era of the internet and ebay---so why are people so clueless about what they have?
Yeah sometimes if you have what looks like a unique item, it might be hard to find one ebay. (example -I once an epsiode with a 1500's Spanish conquistador's helmet).
But if you have a Superbowl ring, or old classic 1950's items, I just want to scream at the "average joe" who brings it in and say "hey, joe--Google it first!"

And there always just happens to be an expert, living conveniently nearby in Las Vegas, who knows everything about Civil War uniforms, or Salvidor Dali artwork, or whatever. So, Mr average Joe--if you've just found an item in your attic, why not go to those experts first, and then go to the damn pawn shop?
Old 08-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
They can't ever have cameras filming while people are actually conducting trades in the store due to confidentiality laws
[minor hijack?]
What's the legal issue here? Two people standing in a public place, speaking clearly and loudly, and surrounded by dozens of other people (i.e.legitimate shoppers)---where's the expectation of confidentiality?
The people who appear on the show know that they are on a highly publicized show...so it's not an issue of illegally recording a conversation without their knowlege.

Last edited by chappachula; 08-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Oops, my bad, apparently she was fired.
Hah, considering that the name of the show is a riff on "porn stars" I wonder if they already knew when they hired her.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Hah, considering that the name of the show is a riff on "porn stars" I wonder if they already knew when they hired her.
None of those guys will ever do porn, at least not the type that anyone would want to watch!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
And there always just happens to be an expert, living conveniently nearby in Las Vegas, who knows everything about Civil War uniforms, or Salvidor Dali artwork, or whatever. So, Mr average Joe--if you've just found an item in your attic, why not go to those experts first, and then go to the damn pawn shop?
Because those experts expect to get paid for their expertise.

And while I've only seen a handful of episodes, many of the people in the episodes I have seen do check eBay, then expect to get full price, not considering (a) item condition, (b) whether the item is truly what they say it is, and (c) the pawn shops profit margins.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
[minor hijack?]
What's the legal issue here? ...
Rick's book is an enlightening read. Apparently the pawn business is highly regulated. A pawn is considered a form of loan and hence has privacy rules that keeps any part of it from being public. That is why you never see anybody pawning anything, just selling. No laws against showing a sale.

Also, everything they take in has to be filed in some sort of central police database and if it turns out it is stolen, they are just out the money and the item goes to the law enforcement types. In the book, he talks about one time (when the show was fairly new) they aired a guy selling a Rolex that turns out was stolen. They were out the Rolex, but the guy was on video, and he new it at the time. Must have been before, or maybe partly why, they started using so many "set-up" items (along with the fact that makes it much easier to control the "excitement" of the items).
Old 08-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Right, he bought her the implants.
Yeah, implants are sort of the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruh-roh View Post
Rick's book is an enlightening read. Apparently the pawn business is highly regulated. A pawn is considered a form of loan and hence has privacy rules that keeps any part of it from being public. That is why you never see anybody pawning anything, just selling. No laws against showing a sale.
We did see one guy pawn something (toy car collection?) in order to make payroll for his business. He asked for a $20,000 loan and Hoss said something like "I recommend that you do not take out a loan that size" but he took the loan anyway.

\
Old 08-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Charter Member
I think there's been like 3-4 pawns. But none since the earliest episodes if I recall correctly.

Could be too that you could sign a waiver to let your pawn be filmed. Doesn't Hardcore Pawn show pawns?

Pawn Stars probably doesn't need to show pawns now anyway. I'm sure tons of folks line up with interesting things to sell. Pawn is probably not that interesting.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 AM
BANNED
Yeah I remember once episode a guy pawned his big rig