Old 08-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Men/boys who wear underwear with swim trunks. WTF?

This has bugged me for years. Every time I go to a water park or large public pool there are a ton of males running around wearing underwear beneath their swim trunks. I don't get it. How is that possibly comfortable to have a waterlogged pair of cotton underwear in your drawers.

This was pretty much unheard of when I was growing up (80's/90's) but I see it everywhere now. Predominately black guys/boys, but definitely not limited to them as I see a fair number of white males doing the same thing.

WTF is up with this? Why do it? Do you do it? If so why?

Also, while we're at it whats with all the males running around in swim shirts? Mostly boys but some grown men doing the same thing. Used to be mostly a black thing but lots of pastey white boys wear them now too. Also seems like it used to be mostly fat kids but has spread to all kids and alot of adult males of all races.

Last edited by Cubsfan; 08-13-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfan View Post
Also, while we're at it whats with all the males running around in swim shirts? Mostly boys but some grown men doing the same thing. Used to be mostly a black thing but lots of pastey white boys wear them now too. Also seems like it used to be mostly fat kids but has spread to all kids and alot of adult males of all races.
Maybe they're feeling self-conscious. I'd be self-conscious too if someone was looking at my underwear!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't wear underwear, but maybe a jockstrap. Support afforded by swimsuits varies widely. Also, you may be seeing people who don't get a lot of opportunities to wear a swimsuit adn don't realize you don't wear your undies underneath. Swimshirt might be a fashion picked up from surfers.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Briefs under swim trunks: They're not comfortable stripping naked in the locker room.

Briefs over swim trunks: They're Batman.

Swim shirts: They don't want to get sunburned.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Quote:
This has bugged me for years. Every time I go to a water park or large public pool there are a ton of males running around wearing underwear beneath their swim trunks. I don't get it. How is that possibly comfortable to have a waterlogged pair of cotton underwear in your drawers.

This was pretty much unheard of when I was growing up (80's/90's) but I see it everywhere now. Predominately black guys/boys, but definitely not limited to them as I see a fair number of white males doing the same thing.

WTF is up with this? Why do it? Do you do it? If so why?

why, exactly, does it bother you? why can't you just go about your business? people like you are why I haven't gone swimming since I was 15.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 PM
It never occurred to me not to; shorts are something you put over underwear, not wear by themselves. Don't want to flash anyone if you sit down outside of the pool or whatever.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 PM
My most recent swimsuit I had to wear underwear. The suit was too loose to hold my junk up, and with the bottom of the shorts preventing a proper hang I'd end up pointing outwards. That was a look that doesn't work on any guy so I wore underwear to give me the support I needed to keep things in place. My current swimsuit doesn't have the same problem so I'm sans underwear again. With the right people and the right amount of alcohol I'm sans suit sometimes too, but that's a different thread.

Last edited by Frazzled; 08-13-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Increasing cultural levels of shyness, self-consciousness and discomfort with the human body.

Underwear keeps your junk contained better than swim trunks. Less chance for certain parts of the male anatomy to be poking out at noticeable angles.

Swim shirts hide your flabby, white torso.

It'll be male burqas next, if the trend continues.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Sometimes when you first exit the water, wet swimsuits are just a little too clingy and leave little to the imagination.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 PM
I have honestly never seen this, and I spend a decent amount of time in the pool. Weird. How loose are your swim shorts that you might flash someone and feel the need to wear underwear underneath? Also, most quality swim shorts are lined, so no worries about leaving too little to the imagination.

Last edited by EmAnJ; 08-13-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 PM
All the men's swim trunks I've seen have had the little mesh panties inside.

Maybe the hip kids are wearing undies as a carryover of the sagging pants style.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
My most recent swimsuit I had to wear underwear. The suit was too loose to hold my junk up, and with the bottom of the shorts preventing a proper hang I'd end up pointing outwards. That was a look that doesn't work on any guy so I wore underwear to give me the support I needed to keep things in place. My current swimsuit doesn't have the same problem so I'm sans underwear again. With the right people and the right amount of alcohol I'm sans suit sometimes too, but that's a different thread.
This is why I wear a Speedo, but that's also a whole 'nother discussion.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:31 PM
BANNED
I don't understand why people do something differently than I do!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChileanBlob View Post
Maybe the hip kids are wearing undies as a carryover of the sagging pants style.
That's my guess. OP, what part of the country are you in?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChileanBlob View Post
All the men's swim trunks I've seen have had the little mesh panties inside.
There are quite a few brands and models out there which do not have that, in point of fact.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Boardshorts often have this annoying trait of not having the mesh panty in front where the laces are. Even if there's velcro, it comes undone when you take a big dive. I've taken it into account to avoid those board shorts but it's uncommon. Some guys just like the design and to keep their junk/pubes from poking through they wear underwear.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Jon Hamm agrees! Say no to underwear!
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 PM
My penis is so dangerous, it needs multiple garments to keep it from harming fair maidens as I saunter by.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Charter Member
I don't have swim trunks, on the occasions when I swim (maybe once a year on average), I wear compression underwear over regular medium length shorts.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 PM
I've seen this all over the country. I'm military and have seen this everywhere I've been from LA to Salt Lake to DC to Orlando this weekend.

Those that say they need the support confuse me. When your briefs are soaked they aren't supporting anything. And when you are actually in the water what are you needing support for? The bits float.

I guess the idea of wearing cotton underwear in the pool makes about as my children sense as wearing jeans in the pool and it feels about the same. (Yes I've had soaked briefs and shorts on before so I know)
Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 PM
I see their issue as being more containment, rather than support. Advantage: Speedo.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:24 PM
I could understand compression shorts or something like that under swim trunks. Something that doesn't soak up water like a sponge. I can wrap my head around that. Not people who wear boxer briefs though. Just don't get it.

Wet underwear WILL chaff after a bit if you were to play on the beach or something physical like that.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilez View Post
Sometimes when you first exit the water, wet swimsuits are just a little too clingy and leave little to the imagination.
But that's exactly why I wear them.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
This is why I wear a Speedo, but that's also a whole 'nother discussion.
But even a Speedo normally has an inner lining, both for comfort and to leave a little bit less to the imagination. It surprises me to learn that some trunks don't have this.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 AM
I got a new suit a couple years ago, and the first couple times I wore them I couldn't figure out why the head of my prick was sore and tender at the end of every day I wore them. It almost felt as if it was sunburned. I finally realized that it was because there is a velcro fly on the suit- something I've never had, as far as I recall- and the back of the velcro layer was stiff and the head of my dick was rubbing against it. So I decided to cut out the mesh layer that contained my junk and now I just wear Dri-Fit boxer briefs with that suit.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm with the OP. Very weird and looks uncomfortable. If I had a suit that wasn't comfortable or whatever without undies, I'd get a new suit.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I don't have swim trunks, on the occasions when I swim (maybe once a year on average), I wear compression underwear over regular medium length shorts.
Did you mean under, or do you actually wear compression underwear over your shorts to swim?
Old 08-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Charter Member
Well, they are about the same length so sometimes they get exposed....but yeah. Under.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:07 PM
The standard advice when wearing padded cycling shorts is "don't wear underwear under bike shorts". The reason is that the seams and stitching for underwear is often exactly where you don't want it and it cause bad chaffing. Padded cycling shorts, like most swim trunks, are made to go commando underneath.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
But even a Speedo normally has an inner lining, both for comfort and to leave a little bit less to the imagination
Oops, I meant "leave a little bit more to the imagination".

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 08-14-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Wet underwear WILL chaff after a bit if you were to play on the beach or something physical like that.
I do not wear underwear going in a pool or freshwater lake, but at the ocean, with the prospect of sand getting in there, I always wear something in addition to the swim trunks.

I have gotten rubbed raw from the liner in regular swim trunks from playing in the surf for a few hours. They seem to have changed the liner a few years ago from a fine mesh to the more porous variety pretty much universally. The mesh they use now is more irritating, IMHO, than just wearing something underneath to contain everything.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Swim shirts: They don't want to get sunburned.
This for me. I am "particularly pale vampire listening to NPR while shopping at Whole Foods" white. For sunny days in the water, a swim shirt limits the amount of area to which I need to be continuously re-applying SPF 300 to a manageable level.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Most swim trunks are lined. No underwear required.

I have some that aren't lined. They're also very thin, fast-drying fabric. They're more like rafting shorts than swim trunks, but I often use them as swim trunks. I often wear them with underwear -- usually, some TravelSmith briefs that dry super fast.

Why underwear with these? Well, if I haven't been swimming and they're dry, and I use the rest room, if I'm not super careful, I'll get visible wet spots. Does that answer the question?

No doubt the OP is referring to bad boyz with the droopy pants thing. IMHO, that's silly regardless of whether it's with swimwear or street clothes. But there's no accounting for fashion. I'm sure guys that dress like that think I look silly. They're probably right, too.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Quote:

I guess the idea of wearing cotton underwear in the pool makes about as my children sense as wearing jeans in the pool and it feels about the same.
I just wanted to agree that it does indeed make about as my children sense.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
I don't understand why people do something differently than I do!!!!!!!!
I object to people asking questions when they don't understand something!!!!!

Last edited by Mangetout; 08-14-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
It never occurred to me not to; shorts are something you put over underwear, not wear by themselves. Don't want to flash anyone if you sit down outside of the pool or whatever.
Well, yeah- if you are just wearing shorts and not swim trunks.
On that note, one of the reasons a lot of guys do wear underwear is that they wear gym shorts instead of swim shorts. And it's pretty difficult to wear gym shorts, especially mesh ones, without showing off.

Some pools ban gym shorts. The pool my family goes to had banned gym shorts but they lifted the ban this year and changed/added some rules.

As someone else mentioned I also think the "sagging" style plays a factor. Though I'm pretty sure sagging is banned at the pool. At least they have the courtesy to flash underwear instead of crack. Baggy jeans sagging was popular when I was a kid, but I don't remember many kids wearing the waistband completely below the ass. And certainly no one wore those bizarre Justin Bieber diaper jeans that look like "baggy" tights that someone took a dump in.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Isn't this what the internet is for? You know, the inner netting they invented to line swim trunks. It provides a comforting snugness.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:45 PM
When I go swimming I almost always just wear boardshorts. These do not have lining, as they are shorts...like regular shorts, designed to be worn with underwear. Boardshorts always have velcro and a string. During vigorous swimming they can come undone. No underwear at a public pool could mean flashing, which would get you arrested.

The key bit of information you are missing is that swimsuits are basically just NOT worn by men anymore, at least not under the age of 35 and over 5. Its board shorts, so no liner.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussle View Post
When I go swimming I almost always just wear boardshorts. These do not have lining, as they are shorts...like regular shorts, designed to be worn with underwear. Boardshorts always have velcro and a string. During vigorous swimming they can come undone. No underwear at a public pool could mean flashing, which would get you arrested.

The key bit of information you are missing is that swimsuits are basically just NOT worn by men anymore, at least not under the age of 35 and over 5. Its board shorts, so no liner.
Unlined boardshorts are the predominant product sold for swimming where I am at. You need to search for mesh lined swim trunks. This may be the situation that a lot of other people face. They buy a swimsuit because it looks nice, only to find later that it is unlined boardshorts. So, they wear underwear with.

By the way, I do see that swim-compression shorts are being sold in the displays with the boardshorts at some stores, so there is that.....

Last edited by Icarus; 08-14-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:39 PM
How do you know what someone is wearing under their swim suit? All of my swim shorts have this mesh liner that could look like a kind of underpants if you just peered up my leg. And my swim shorts are styled to look shorts and when I am in a beach town I wear them all the time, except to go to a fancy restaurant.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:23 PM
I always get boardshorts with the mesh liner thing. I can't imagine wearing underwear would be comfortable; they take long enough to dry as it is. Dunno why it bothers the OP so much though.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 PM
I don't want swim trunks clinging to my junk. I don't want a rogue stiffy to become too obvious. I don't want a nut to slip out when I sit down. Most of my swim trunks have the mesh liner, but it's too loose and thin to help. True, the wet cotton is uncomfortable. Beats the alternative, in my opinion.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 PM
You worry about a nut slipping out? How long is your scrotum?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:11 PM
I did this as a kid once, and never again. I can't see how wet briefs (and there's no way you are wearing boxers) could at all be comfortable. It's soggy and squishy and if it dries at all it's really scratchy. Anything you wear in water should be water resistant, like swimming trunks.

I did wear shirts, though. I've been brought up that, if you have visible hanging belly, you don't go shirtless, just as a matter of decorum. It's for the same reason fat people shouldn't wear tight clothes. It's considered a "People of Walmart"-style thing.

And I see no evidence it bothered the OP in any sense other than the way it bothers me--it just seems odd. It's the type of thing I would expect a kid back in my days (the 90s) getting made fun of for. It's about the same way I feel about the speedo on anyone but professional swimmers.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11811 View Post
I wouldn't wear underwear, but maybe a jockstrap. Support afforded by swimsuits varies widely. Also, you may be seeing people who don't get a lot of opportunities to wear a swimsuit adn don't realize you don't wear your undies underneath. Swimshirt might be a fashion picked up from surfers.
Growing up (in the US), we (boys) would generally not wear underwear with bathing suits. If the suit was dry, it could be worn as if it was a pair of shorts along with a shirt of your choice while traveling around shore towns or water recreational areas. If the suit was wet (after coming out of the pool/ocean/lake/etc), one would commonly wrap a towel around their waist over the bathing suit as a makeshift skirt/sarong and wear that. It provided plenty of coverage for walking off the beach to a nearby motel/cafe/whatever. You could also wear another towel over your shoulders if you didn't want to be fully topless and/or you were cold.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Unless you have reason to believe it's dirty underwear (like really dirty with skidmarks and stuff, not just a little sweat), what business is it of yours if they wear it?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Yeah, that mesh insert? It chafes something awful. I know the answer is to buy a new suit, but who has the time for that?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:03 PM
I agree with the above poster who said that a lot of guys don't wear swim trunks if they're not big swimmers. They just wear shorts, which don't have a lining. And if you're used to wearing underwear, it feels weird to walk around all day not wearing underwear under your shorts. If you're not a big swimmer, you'll probably spend most of your time at the pool or at the beach on land rather than in the water, and since I normally wear underwear under my shorts, I'll wear underwear under my shorts at the beach or at the pool as well.

I've worn underwear into the water many times. I don't own swim trunks. It's not particularly uncomfortable to have wet underwear on when you come out of the water. My shorts are wet, too.

The swim shirts are probably a combination of increased body consciousness for guys and increased skin cancer awareness.

Last edited by staili; 08-16-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussle View Post

Well, I'm almost 35, but not quite. I have worn the same size since I was 16-17, and I don't tend to buy trendy-patterned or looking garments. I've always gone for stuff that would last and not have any weird out of place logos or anything. I own 2 solid swim trunks. One is from 1998 and are solid, I think Nautica brand. Then I have another from 2005- they are from Old Navy. These (swim shorts) were the common styles sold at the time. For the 1-2 times per year I have to wear them, I've never felt the need to upgrade my solid plain swim shorts, just as I still wear old jeans if they are in good repair and never felt the need to get ones with diamonds and glitter on the ass or anything like that.

I also know exactly when they were purchased because they were both given to me by women, my last serious GF before my wife, and my now wife. They both have much better taste in clothing and suitably dressing my package than any men.

I grew up in a Mid-Atlantic resort beach area, and only "real" surfers at the time (80s/90s) really wore board shorts, and they were purchased at specific surf/skate shops. Everyone else purchased the swim shorts sold at typical clothing stores. I lived at the ocean, and didn't do much if any public pool swimming, but I couldn't imagine anyone wearing board shorts at the time for rigorous swimming in a still pool.

Even now, I have a 10 year old son, and when we shop at non-specialty clothing/department stores they sell regular lined swim shorts for boys.

Typically board shorts are pretty long. So if I wore them, I'd probably not wear underwear. And I'd get ones that fit and/or adjust them to, and not wear them below my pubic area so they wouldn't fall off and I wouldn't flash. I don't think anyone's getting arrested for an accident anyway. I've seen plenty of accidental cracks and stuff, and I'm sure even a frontal could be accomplished without anyone noticing/caring if it's an honest accident. If I had the need to buy some new ones, I probably would go with board shorts- and the reason why is because I don't like the liners. But I wouldn't replace the uncomfortable liner with another garment. Id' just hang comfortably in longer/thicker shorts.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by staili View Post
The swim shirts are probably a combination of increased body consciousness for guys and increased skin cancer awareness.
As far as body consciousness goes, I was a chubby kid. I grew into my body in my late teens. I always hated taking off my shirt in public, but keeping a shirt on at the pool was much worse. That would really draw attention to yourself. Of course this was before Under Armor-type stuff ( and long before it became OVER wear) and would mean wearing a heavy loose cotton shirt and moobs and bulges being accentuated.

Now, even when I'm not in the greatest shape ( I fluctuate quite a bit), I have no self consciousness as an adult. My son is 10 and has like 3% bodyfat. He would have "ripped abs," but he doesn't quite have the mass, yet. And he wears those shirts. I think it's a combination of consciousness and style for him. I wish I had no body fat when I was his age.