Old 08-15-2013, 06:01 PM
"Pioneer Woman" Ree Drummond fascinates the hell out of me

She was a big city girl (although originally from a small town in Oklahoma) who fell in love with a gen-yoo-wine cowboy and now lives with him and their four home-schooled kids on a vast, isolated working ranch. She cooks up grub from down home recipes and always seems to have a smile on her dimpled face.

How much for real is she?

I know she started out with a blog, then a cookbook. Now she has a cooking program and all the behind-the scenes shows I've seen about Food Network programs reveal a huge back-up staff for shopping, prep, and cleaning.

I don't expect her to do everything herself. But I'm thinking of when the Martha Stewart Phenomenon first happened Way Back When... you only ever saw Martha in the pictures, in the kitchen, in her manicured gardens. walking among her thousands of rose bushes. Then it came out that she had a huge army of helpers. Well, it made perfect sense-- you would HAVE to have a huge army of helpers to do what Martha did.

So does Ree have lots of unseen helpers? Does she really do everything by herself in her kitchen with only one camera operator to record her activities?

And while we're on the subject... what exactly are her circumstances? Tonight's show (a rerun) had her making dinner for "Cowboy Josh" who "lives on the ranch." She made the dinner, which looked absolutely delish (to quote Rachael Ray) in the kitchen where she usually cooks on the show, then got in her SUV and delivered dinner to Josh at his house, and went on to where her husband and kids were at their house. So... where was the kitchen? How many residences are there on this ranch?

Who has the straight dope on Ree?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Most of the show's scenes take place at their lodge, also on the property.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Paula Deen's show was also filmed at her actual home but of course she had a production team getting everything set up and read (and cleaned). PW is no different.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 PM
I don't know much about her, though when I've used her recipes I always have to cut back on the butter and sugar. Butter and sugar is delicious, but if 1 stick of butter is perfect, having 2 is getting into gross territory.

I know she is widely accused of being a fraud, but I haven't been interested enough to follow up on that.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:58 PM
I read her blog and tried a few recipes. Back then at least I think she was a bored city girl stuck in the middle of nowhere on a ranch with a hungry husband and screaming kids.

Her life today is probably much different with traveling and tv appearances.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-15-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 PM
I certainly don't consider her a "fraud" -- I'm sure she really lives on this ranch and drives many miles to the grocery store and her husband works cattle and he's teaching the kids to be great with horses as well. I'm just wondering how much help she has.

So... what is The Lodge? Is that for guests or something? When she drove up to the house with the dinner, the house looked quite modest. The Lodge looks palatial.

I wonder how many other households live on the ranch like Cowboy Josh.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 PM
I have Carla Emery's "Encyclopedia of Country Living". I don't think she did everything herself either; she died about 10 years ago.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:24 PM
I thought many people accused her of plagiarizing her recipes?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequila Party View Post
I thought many people accused her of plagiarizing her recipes?
Well, her recipes are what regular people eat. How original can meat loaf, twice-baked potatoes, salad dressing, and pecan pie recipes be?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 PM
I thought it was more specific than that, like her lifting whole wording directly from other published and easily found recipes. But I dunno.

Last edited by Tequila Party; 08-15-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 PM
There's a lot of PW haters out there. There's even a website -- the name of it escapes me at the moment -- which claims to debunk the whole "city girl stuck in the country" theory.

She married into one of the wealthiest families in OK. Her husband's family were homesteaders in that particular area. They've been ranching for many, many, many years.

I don't want to get into details/rumor mongering here. Let's just say that "Pioneer Woman" is a very clever branding strategy, and she hit the blog scene right before it exploded.

There are stories floating around the web about her treatment of some of the guest bloggers she had in the early days. They are not complimentary.

I used to read her blog years ago. She detailed the building of The Lodge (my first reaction to the dimensions and such were, "I bet she's aiming to get on TV", and I was right), and I loved her "slice of ranch life" posts because, as a bona-fide city girl, I have absolutely no experience with that kind of lifestyle. For me, her blog lost that innocence once she published the cookbook because you just knew she was aiming for something bigger. You can't fault her for that -- I daresay it was one of her bigger goals all along.

I've made a few of her recipes, but honestly they're nothing special IMO.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequila Party View Post
I thought it was more specific than that, like her lifting whole wording directly from other published and easily found recipes. But I dunno.
Yeah, that rings a bell. Maybe just plain old Betty Crocker.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:25 PM
I can see where she would push people's buttons. Any time you "go public" and get a little success under your belt, you might as well paint a target on your forehead. The internet just magnifies the plusses and minuses.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:40 PM
The Marlboro Woman
Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
All-right-y then!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
I'm getting "access denied" from that link?

Edit: OK, if I put it into Google I can get the cached version but not directly. Weird.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 08-15-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 PM
So what if she's not 100% "authentic"? She's funny, entertaining, gives great prizes (though through some oversight, I have never won one) and is a good photographer. I do miss the days where it was more blog and less marketing but I still enjoy it. It's free entertainment, unless you choose to buy her cookbooks and it's pretty fun IMHO.

I never thought her recipes were groundbreaking but they do make great holiday fare (my family begs for Creamy Herbed Potatoes every Christmas) and for myself, a home cook who wanted some variety, they gave me several simple guides to dishes I can competently make now such as risotto, braised short ribs,chicken parmesan, etc. I never thought they were purely original recipes but they did say "Hey, you can do this!" to me.

It helps that Ree is close to my age, and I'm a horse-y kind of person that also has hung out with cowboys (and not team ropers- the type that actually live in a bunkhouse and make their living on a ranch). It was obvious to me, even before the tv show, that the Drummonds lived on a VERY wealthy and well-established ranch and I never thought she tried to portray it otherwise.

I think she's very supportive of other bloggers- at least she regularly has showcased one or another for several years so not sure how she could be that viciously competitive with her fellow bloggers.

Lastly, I think this story, which had my entire vet office in stitches for about a week when it came out on her blog, justifies any "non-authentic" aspects of her life:

Tanner, the Barbie Dog

Granted, I am easily amused.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I have Carla Emery's "Encyclopedia of Country Living". I don't think she did everything herself either; she died about 10 years ago.
I have the original when it came out and the (slightly) revised, I've read EoCL more than I've read the Bible! But Carla Emery never had a TV show or blog, always struck me as one of those old-fashioned super-energetic farm wife types. How is it you don't think she did everything herself?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBoPeep View Post
So what if she's not 100% "authentic"?
It depends. If (note I'm saying if) she plagiarizes other people's recipes and claims them as her own and then profits from them, I have a problem with that. If she's just a liar or whatever about her circumstances? Couldn't care less.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Recipes have been passed around and handed down for a hundred years. Great grandma's wonderful pineapple upside down cake recipe may have come from her local newspaper. Years later, her daughter submits it to a local church cookbook. The granddaughter shares it with Ree in 2011. By this time nobody has a clue where in the heck the recipe came from. All that matters is it's a great cake that thousands of people cook.

I can't get shook up about recipe copyright unless people are ripping off current cookbooks. Even then I don't believe every Martha Stewart recipe was invented by her. Shes using old recipes that were passed down through the generations just like everybody else.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-15-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Change three things and the recipe is yours.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Recipes have been passed around and handed down for a hundred years. Great grandma's wonderful pineapple upside down cake recipe may have come from her local newspaper. Years later, her daughter submits it to a local church cookbook. The granddaughter shares it with Ree in 2011. By this time nobody has a clue where in the heck the recipe came from. All that matters is it's a great cake that thousands of people cook.

I can't get shook up about recipe copyright unless people are ripping off current cookbooks. Even then I don't believe every Martha Stewart recipe was invented by her. Shes using old recipes that were passed down through the generations just like everybody else.
Yeah, and the thing is, you can't copyright a recipe. You can copyright the words used to describe the recipe, but a list of ingredients is not copyrightable (just use your words to describe the technique.) I have my "own" recipes, but most of the stuff I cook is traditional and well-established in terms of ingredients, ratios, and techniques. I can give you "my" recipe for goulash and all sorts of Hungarian and Polish foods, but they're an amalgam of currently existing recipes, and I wouldn't be surprised if very similar if not exact recipes exist.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Yuck, instant channel change.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
If the people accusing her of stealing the recipes are claiming this in cases where no one knows where the recipe came from, that's silly.

If they are accusing her of stealing because she knows precisely where the recipes come from and doesn't credit that source, that's not silly.

Credit your sources. Say where the recipe comes from. If it's from your brain, say it's from your brain. If it's from the newspaper, say it's from the newspaper. If it's from the granddaughter, say it's from the granddaughter.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Charter Member
I liked her blog and copied dozens of her recipes back in 2009 when I lived in China. A lot of good stuff when I leveraged the interwebs instead of cookbooks. Buttered Rosemary Rolls was one of the first ones of hers that I tried and liked. I probably read her blog and copied recipes for a year or so.

At least for me, I used to search some of the food blogs. Most were not places that fit your style, gave the right guidance, or made you want to go back to it. I haven't been to PW's website though for a few years.

Last edited by China Guy; 08-16-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
At least for me, I used to search some of the food blogs. Most were not places that fit your style, gave the right guidance, or made you want to go back to it. I haven't been to PW's website though for a few years.
I've sort of gone off most food blogs in the past year or so. I've got a recipe box over at All Recipes and copy/pasted others into Word. I find the "sweetie-honey-I-love-you-you're-my-best-friend-aren't-I-cute?" tone on a lot of them nauseating. Shut up and just give me the recipe, OK?

If I'm not mistaken, I think PW was one of the first to address her readers as such.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM
I made her pulled pork (pork shoulder, onions, chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, brown sugar, Dr Pepper, all cooked at 300 for 8 hours).

It was heavenly.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 AM
"Superstar"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I made her pulled pork (pork shoulder, onions, chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, brown sugar, Dr Pepper, all cooked at 300 for 8 hours).

It was heavenly.
I made that too (root beer instead). First pork (besides some bacon or sausages) I ever made. It was very good.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:40 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
We've made a number of her recipes. All were good - some bordered on fantastic.

I knew her husband was rich from way back. Doesn't bother me a bit. As for "recipe stealing," as I mentioned above, unless you copy and paste, there isn't such a thing. Make a couple of changes and it's yours.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
It depends. If (note I'm saying if) she plagiarizes other people's recipes and claims them as her own and then profits from them, I have a problem with that. If she's just a liar or whatever about her circumstances? Couldn't care less.
Exactly. And like I said, a lot of the charges, IIRC, were that she stole them verbatim. But I really don't care, as I have nothing to do with her unhealthy stuff anyway.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
We've made a number of her recipes. All were good - some bordered on fantastic.
That's been our experience too.

My wife started reading her blog years ago (6?) and it wasn't always just a cooking blog; some of the stories about her mentally disabled brother's interactions with the family are hysterical, if not entirely politically correct.

I think the blog was better back then because it wasn't just another food blog, and had more about her family and life, and less about her recipes.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 AM
My wife started on the PW blog and then became a regular fan of the show until we cancelled cable earlier this summer.

I think it seems pleasant enough, but my real problem is that watching it makes me hungry!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I've watched her Food Network show and she has often said where she gets certain recipes and will detail any changes she has made.

It's the internet, everyone hates everyone.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Misty Prepper is the real deal:

http://youtube.com/user/mmlrc6atgmailcom
https://facebook.com/pages/Misty...42248625836043
http://misty-mistyskitchen.blogspot.com/

Ree Drummond ain't got nothing on her...

Last edited by Crafter_Man; 08-16-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
From Misty's home page: "Now y'all have a Blessed and y'all come back now ya here."

Are you kidding me? At least Ree has a sense of irony about her country girl identity.

And using a handwriting font as body copy? One word: don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Monica View Post
...It's the internet, everyone hates everyone.
And there's also room for everyone.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 08-16-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Writer on the storm
I started reading her blog somewhere in the first year she started writing it. She appealed to me for a number of reasons, the first being she does lead a life different from most of us. I found the descriptions of life with all those cattle interesting, and the children do or did help with a lot of the work, much of the time on horses. She is about my age and her youngest is the same age as my youngest, so I identified with her that way too.

I also enjoyed many of the recipes; I knew they weren't fine cuisine, but they were codified versions of many things I'd been winging it on for years (lasagna springs to mind) so I bought the cookbook. She also turned me on to Old Gringo cowboy boots, of which I am inordinately fond and now own several pair. Some of her other tastes are similar to mine as well in terms of clothing and jewelry.

Anyway, I got tired of her after a while and when she blew up I was pretty much over her. I have nothing against her whatsoever and would certainly have enjoyed meeting her if she came to town on one of her book-signing trips. But now, eh. She's a celebrity instead of a regular woman with a blog.

("Pioneer Woman" if I remember correctly, comes from a time when they were either having work done or had a plumbing disaster, and she had to fill water at one place and haul it to her house to do laundry, or something like that. Someone called her a pioneer woman, and the idea was so ludicrous, her being so rich and pampered and all, that she immediately adopted it. So it was more or less a joke all along.)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
("Pioneer Woman" if I remember correctly, comes from a time when they were either having work done or had a plumbing disaster, and she had to fill water at one place and haul it to her house to do laundry, or something like that. Someone called her a pioneer woman, and the idea was so ludicrous, her being so rich and pampered and all, that she immediately adopted it. So it was more or less a joke all along.)
That's what I meant about the ironic tone. It's part of the charm of the whole scenario. She doesn't pretend to be poor. If she meant Pioneer Woman seriously, she would be intolerable.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:53 PM
That Barbie dog blog entry is hilarious. I had no idea she was that funny or clever. I guess that doesn't fit the Food Network?
Old 08-16-2013, 03:45 PM
There's The Pioneer Woman Sux for some bitterness about PW.

Food Network Humor has some funny snark on her.

Get Off My Internets has discussed her before.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 PM
She out-butters Paula Deen which I did not think was possible. I see her in the PW category: huge phony who turns ordinarily delicious plain food into high calorie, over-the-top, unappealing gutbombs.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Okaaaaaay. That was one of the most schizo accounts I've ever read. The comments section is priceless and well worth a look to the end to get passed all the fawning and to the parts where people think the blogger is nuts.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 AM
All I know about the woman is from that one site, and the big ones were her telling people to microwave Nutella in the jar and some recipes that had the same ingredients but different amounts--of rather basic things you'd expect to be similar. The rest of it was just someone coming up with reasons to dislike whatever she did that day. Well, that and making fun of her fans for being so gushy about her.

Oh, and there were the occasional blog posts where she didn't initially credit the recipe-maker but then went back later and fixed it.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Ree Drummund 'networks'. She works at promoting herself and her career. That she does it in the public eye makes it no worse than what the rest of us do to promote our professional image. Whether or not you like her cooking - buy/don't her cookbooks, watch/don't her show - you vote with your choices. As far as the plagiarism, as far as recipes go, there is very little new under the sun. I expect that most recipes I read/watch have been done before and that they are showcased because of their relevance to the situation at hand - sort of like 'here's how I do this'.

Last edited by Zago; 08-17-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 PM
that Rechelle is a good writer though. Did you click the link to the post about lice? She is strangely unaware though about how that could have put a damper on the visit.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
that Rechelle is a good writer though. Did you click the link to the post about lice? She is strangely unaware though about how that could have put a damper on the visit.
That post just oozes crazy. Portions like her trying to figure out if Ree reads her blog or not, or making gifts for her in an attempt to suck up, or the whole "why the hell did she ask me if I had a baby... am I milky?" list are just full of "you have no fucking idea how neurotic you seem" scariness.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:29 PM
"Superstar"
Funny, I found entries on PW blog about that weekend and everyone looked like we're enjoying themselves. I can't believe she went with head lice to someone else's home.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:58 AM
Either Rechelle is total nut case or she has a body of work and enough fans to legitimize this joke. I'm thinking, if I read this stuff from, say, David Sedaris or even Stephen Colbert I'd know it was total satire. There's that rant about her sister and a joint blog, it sounds nuts to me but maybe it's a private joke amongst her fans?

In any case, if she was an invited guest at PW's house she's being rude. If she actually went there with head lice she's contemptible.

It occurred to me that she might be testing the water for a website similar to the 'I Hate Rachael Ray' that was popular several years ago.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 AM
I read a couple of Rechelle's blog posts and I'm not quite ready to call her crazy, but she is really trying too hard.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
If she meant Pioneer Woman seriously, she would be intolerable.
Seeing how a real pioneer woman coped with life would be a helluva lot more interesting.