Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Cornbread - the perfect food that goes with almost everything.

Just finished a delicious bowl of soup with cornbread crumbled up in it. yum, yum.

Cook a pot of red beans, pinto beans, or purple hull peas with a ham hock and serve over cornbread. Pour an extra scoop of that juice over it. Fantastic meal.

We could go on and on. What else do you love eating cornbread with? Either served with the food or as a side bread?

We started baking all our cornbread in a muffin pan. It's just easier to serve and there's no hassle of cutting it up from a pan. But, I'll eat cornbread however it's cooked.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-20-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Charter Member
SO made 'chili' Wednesday: Canned chili, canned corn, a can of Rotel salsa, and other stuff. More like a soup, really. We had a packed of Marie Callender's cornbread mix from the Dollar Store in the cupboard, and she made that to go with it. She likes her cornbread sweet. I prefer mine without sugar. But I'm easy.

The other day I was thinking it's about time to make some chipotle-cheddar cornbread. It's your basic cornbread recipe, but with a cup of shredded medium cheddar cheese and a couple of chopped canned chipotles. (Two chiles are find for most people. If I'm making it for me, I like three.)
Old 09-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Given cornbread, no matter what it's served with, I'll almost always hold my piece back and eat it with sorghum molasses as a dessert. Learned the habit from my mother.

I bake it in a deep-dish pie plate. Cuts into nice satisfying wedges that way.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Charter Member
Oh, and the cornbread itself shouldn't be sweet. If you want it sweet, topping it with honey or molasses is perfectly acceptable and proper, but they're not mixed in to the batter.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Creature of the Night
Cornbread, heated or reheated and buttered, makes a nice light breakfast. It's a sin to serve beans without cornbread.

I'll bake cornbread as muffins or in a pie plate too.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:37 PM
I generally bake mine in a cast iron skillet or cornstick pan, but will do some up in muffin tins once in a while.

I like cornbread with almost anything, but especially with greens. Last Sunday, I fixed a pot of collards with smoked neckbones to practice up for turnip green season and made a skillet of cornbread to go with it. Nom!

It's also good crumbled in chicken and rice soup or a tall glass of buttermilk ( something my granny called a hillbilly milkshake).

Now you're making me hungry.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Oh, and the cornbread itself shouldn't be sweet. If you want it sweet, topping it with honey or molasses is perfectly acceptable and proper, but they're not mixed in to the batter.
In our house, it was maple syrup.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Charter Member
Butter and honey, next to a bowl of beans and smoked hocks.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
I generally bake mine in a cast iron skillet
This.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:21 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Exactly. Grease well and get that sucker piping hot, so the cornbread has a crust on it.

Yum!

I have to remind myself how good plain cornbread is, because I always load mine up with add-ins: bacon, cheese, diced green chilis, etc.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 PM
I put a small cast iron skillet in the oven and heat it red-hot, then pour the batter in and bake it. Makes a nice crust.

Another cool, magical thing is to make cornbread batter and pour it right into your pot of chili on to of the stove when it's almost done. Cover the pot. The cornbread will magically rise to the top and make a yummy crust on top of the chili.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 PM
I didn't like cornbread when I was kid, but I love it now. And I like the box stuff and the homemade and the sweet and hot.

regular cornbread with Chili.

Sweet Cornbread with Ham/Beans soup.

But I like it any time I can get it. As long as there is butter.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I put a small cast iron skillet in the oven and heat it red-hot, then pour the batter in and bake it. Makes a nice crust.

Another cool, magical thing is to make cornbread batter and pour it right into your pot of chili on to of the stove when it's almost done. Cover the pot. The cornbread will magically rise to the top and make a yummy crust on top of the chili.
Sort of like cornbread dumplings, I'm thinking.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:51 PM
I like a little cornbread with my butter. Preferably with that nice crispy ring around the outside.

Also crumbled up in beans, although I prefer it whole to better contain the butter.

My grandpa liked it crumbled up in buttermilk too although I never tried it, not a buttermilk fan.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 PM
SDSAB
You can have mine. I must admit, I don't like cornbread. Far more often than not it's dry and tasteless.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:35 AM
I like cornbread with butter, but it's also delicious with the juice of any kinds of greens. Not sure why, but the flavor of the cornbread works so well with the tart taste of green juice. Turnip greens is what I mostly have had it with, but also collard greens are fine and even spinach greens.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:42 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
That is what my father-in-law called upside down tamale pie.

One of my tricks is too use creamed corn for half the liquid in the recipe.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Sort of like cornbread dumplings, I'm thinking.
Except that it's a solid sheet of cornbread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
That is what my father-in-law called upside down tamale pie.

One of my tricks is too use creamed corn for half the liquid in the recipe.
Brilliant!
Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua View Post
Given cornbread, no matter what it's served with, I'll almost always hold my piece back and eat it with sorghum molasses as a dessert.
Now that I'm a grownup, I don't have to save back a piece. I can have a piece or two with my beans, and still have another for dessert. Except, I like mine with honey.

Except, too, for the damned carb thingy.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:57 AM
G.D. carbs
Old 09-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
I didn't like cornbread when I was kid, but I love it now. And I like the box stuff and the homemade and the sweet and hot.

regular cornbread with Chili.

Sweet Cornbread with Ham/Beans soup.

But I like it any time I can get it. As long as there is butter.
I have to agree with you about the lightly sweetened cornbread with the beans, especially pintos. I also tend to use yellow cornmeal for that too; naturally sweeter.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:33 AM
I buy the little envelopes of cornbread mix. Add an egg, milk, mix, pour, bake- yum. I do add a tablespoon of sugar.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Except that it's a solid sheet of cornbread.
You've never seen my dumplings. They pretty much cover the top of the stew.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Cornbread is delicious with beans, greens, green beans, vegetable soup, chili, and black-eyed peas. I love to get a vegetable plate and cornbread at a meat-and-three restaurant. I prefer unsweetened cornbread. My husband and sons love good old sweet Jiffy corn muffins. Those cheap little boxes of Jiffy mix are convenient to have around the house when you need to round out a meal.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Make Cornbread Not War

Whatever we don't have biscuits with. Or garlic bread.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
You've never seen my dumplings. They pretty much cover the top of the stew.
I want dumplings.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:25 PM
I'm making cornbread tomorrow Mom's making chili and the neighbor is making some dips and munchies, and we're having a big ol' Sunday dinner

Cornbread in a cast iron is absolutely the BEST, but I don't have any, so I usually do mine in muffin tins as well. My favorite is sweet, with butter, but I occasionally throw a small can of diced chiles into the batter for a bit of zing and interest.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:43 PM
If you want it sweet, this is the only thing allowed on cornbread in my house.

And hell yes to the cast iron skillet.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 09-21-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:44 PM
BANNED
I love the cornbread that the cooks make out on the boat for us. It's wonderful. And it's sweet. Those of you who are claiming cornbread should never itself be sweetened need to get off your high horses.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
You can have mine. I must admit, I don't like cornbread. Far more often than not it's dry and tasteless.
This makes me so sad I have to share my favorite cornbread recipe:
  • Get a 10" cast iron skillet, add a tablespoon of butter and put it in an oven preheated to 400F
  • Stir together 2 cups yellow cornmeal (stone ground preferably), 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp salt
  • In a separate bowl beat 2 cups buttermilk, 2 eggs and 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • Combine the wet and dry mixtures, being careful not to overbeat
  • Scrape the batter into the hot skillet and bake until it is golden brown and crusty at the edges, approx. 25 minutes.
  • Serve warm

I love this because it has a great corn and buttermilk flavor. Simple and straightforward with just a few ingredients.

Give it a try Elendil's Heir. If this doesn't work then I will admit cornbread just doesn't work for you.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 09-22-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:19 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Sweet cornbread is an abomination foisted off on the unsuspecting by Yankees.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:16 AM
I cannot stand the taste of sweet cornbread. It's just WRONG. So a pre-sweetened loaf of cornbread is just a mistake to me. You wanna put honey or molasses or other unnatural addenda on it, be my guest, but I will not partake of such unnatural culinary abominations.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
I love the cornbread that the cooks make out on the boat for us. It's wonderful. And it's sweet. Those of you who are claiming cornbread should never itself be sweetened need to get off your high horses.

No.

Just... no. Cornbread should not be sweet. Not even when it's used to make dressing at Thanksgiving.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:41 AM
Creature of the Night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara57 View Post
Cornbread is delicious with beans, greens, green beans, vegetable soup, chili, and black-eyed peas. I love to get a vegetable plate and cornbread at a meat-and-three restaurant. I prefer unsweetened cornbread. My husband and sons love good old sweet Jiffy corn muffins. Those cheap little boxes of Jiffy mix are convenient to have around the house when you need to round out a meal.
My brother-in-law has eaten my cooking many times. I think that he likes the beans and cornbread the most...and yes, it's Jiffy cornbread. I make the beans from dried beans, usually pinto beans, though I've been known to use other beans.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Sweet cornbread is an abomination foisted off on the unsuspecting by Yankees.
To us Yankees, unsweetened cornbread is one of those things that begs the question, "Why does this exist?" Unless you're making conbread stuffing/dressing, that is.

I've never been big on cornbread, but I do like it with chili.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 AM
I guess the people who don't like sweet cornbread also don't want syrup on their polenta*.

* fried cornmeal mush
Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara57 View Post
My absolute favorite cornbread mix is that little cheap box of Jiffy. The best.

Last edited by St Monica; 09-22-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Quote:
I guess the people who don't like sweet cornbread also don't want syrup on their polenta*.

* fried cornmeal mush
I can't stand polenta :shudders: It's a texture thing, right up there with oatmeal.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Quoth kiz:

To us Yankees, unsweetened cornbread is one of those things that begs the question, "Why does this exist?" Unless you're making conbread stuffing/dressing, that is.
Wait, I thought the regional divide was the other way around, sweet in the South and not in the North. In any event, all of my Yankee family (from the northern Appalachians) makes it unsweetened.

And it exists to put butter on it, and to sop up all sorts of tasty food liquids. It doesn't need to be sweet for either of those purposes. It's the sweet cornbread that must leave one questioning its purpose.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:39 PM
I realize this isn't really on topic, but I just have to point out that the terms "to beg the question" and "to raise the question" mean very different things.

Here's a good explanation of what it means to beg the question:

http://nizkor.org/features/falla...-question.html

Last edited by Scribble; 09-22-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:43 PM
And, for those of you who object to sweet cornbread - what do you think of things like corn muffins, or blueberry cornbread, or cobblers made with cornbread crusts?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Charter Member
Quote:

* fried cornmeal mush
That would be correct. Do people put syrup on polenta? ( And polenta need not be fried, either.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-22-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Creature of the Night
Quote:
And it exists to put butter on it, and to sop up all sorts of tasty food liquids. It doesn't need to be sweet for either of those purposes. It's the sweet cornbread that must leave one questioning its purpose.
Sweet cornbread exists to be buttered and eaten, preferably while it's still warm from the baking. It does not need to sop up pot likker, though of course it can.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
I realize this isn't really on topic, but I just have to point out that the terms "to beg the question" and "to raise the question" mean very different things.

Here's a good explanation of what it means to beg the question:

http://nizkor.org/features/falla...-question.html
I suspect most SDMB readers know this--it's come up often here--but I personally use and wi continue to use the phrase as it is most commonly understood.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
That would be correct. Do people put syrup on polenta? ( And polenta need not be fried, either.)
Polenta is cornmeal mush with a college education.* If it's fried, you may indeed put syrup on it.

* "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but Cabbage with a College Education." Mark Twain, The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson
Old 09-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Charter Member
Well, at any rate, no sugar in/on either for me.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
Those of you who are claiming cornbread should never itself be sweetened need to get off your high horses.
People who are insecure about their palate often deride those whose tastes differ.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
And, for those of you who object to sweet cornbread - what do you think of things like corn muffins, or blueberry cornbread, or cobblers made with cornbread crusts?
I like sweet corn muffins as a breakfast or snack item. I haven't tried blueberry cornbread or cornbread crust cobblers, but I think I would like them. I don't like sweet cornbread as a side when the cornbread is intended to be dipped or crumbled into a dish like soup, beans, or greens. The sweetness doesn't go with those flavors; those flavors call for savory, earthy cornbread.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Quoth Scribble:

Corn muffins are the same thing as cornbread, just baked in a different pan, and like cornbread are unsweetened. I don't think I've had blueberry cornbread, and not sure about cornbread cobbler, but in either case I would expect the sweet fruit to be embedded in a non-sweet matrix.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
It's also good crumbled in ... a tall glass of buttermilk ( something my granny called a hillbilly milkshake).
That's got to be the most disgusting thing I've heard in ages. <shudder>

Warm cornbread with lots of butter, that's the way to do it!