Old 10-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Can I save the zipper on my jacket

The zipper itself works,but the little metal stop at the bottom became separated right where the stop is. Could I superglue it? Could I wind thread around it to hold it to the material? Am I making sense here? t\
Old 10-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Can't say if the zipper is salvageable but unless you have something unusually unique zipper replacement isn't that big of a job so if nothing else take it to a local alterations shop and ask for a quote.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Charter Member
The answer is, I'm sad to say, probably not. I speak as someone who has actually done some types of zipper repair. Damage to the bottom of a zipper jacket usually requires replacement of the zipper, which is typically $40-60 (and up) in my area.

If you can post a picture and link to it I might be able to give you a more definitive answer.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Oh, and who is the manufacturer of the jacket? Particularly for more outdoorsy manufacturers you might find they have very liberal repair/replace policies (had a friend send in a 15 year old pair of Columbia Sportswear pants a couple years ago and got the zipper replaced for free).
Old 10-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. The cost of replacing the zipper is way more than the jacket is worth. (I've asked a local tailor and confirmed it would be $30). I just wondered if there was some quick fix to repair the separation of the little metal tab from the edge of the material. But - the zipper still zips up, so we'll still get some use out of it.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Charter Member
What sometimes works for our shop is to convert jacket from zipper to snaps. That is, you install snaps for a closure instead of repairing/replacing the zipper. You might also be able to use velcro as a closure. Both of those depend on the styling and design of the jacket to be feasible, but either should be cheaper than putting in a new zipper.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Charter Member
Sounds like the pin that you plug into the "box" at the bottom has separated. It's dead, Jim.

If the woven zipper tape is just getting squishy at the end, you can try to stiffen it with nail polish, but no guarantee it will work at all or last long if it does.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:27 AM
If you can yet slide the cloth tape part of the zipper stop in to its metal cover, then try gluing it in using fabric glue. Don't use super glue as it tends to cause the fabric to stiffen and crumble up eventually. If the metal cover is no longer useable, or if you have lost it, fusing a scrap of plastic to the cloth tape (where the cover originally was) with a warm iron, will work as well. Otherwise, overcast sew the scrape of plastic or metal cover (or a bit of wire snipped off from a paper clip and doubled over) to the cloth tape. The last option requires some sewing skills but the result will last much longer. If you file a few notches in the edge of the plastic/metal cover before sewing it up it will stay in place quite nicely even with poor sewing skills.

Or you can always get the zipper professionally replaced :-).
Old 10-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
What sometimes works for our shop is to convert jacket from zipper to snaps. That is, you install snaps for a closure instead of repairing/replacing the zipper. You might also be able to use velcro as a closure. Both of those depend on the styling and design of the jacket to be feasible, but either should be cheaper than putting in a new zipper.
I came here to say the same about snaps. And to add what Broomstick mentioned, if the jacket can feasibly have snaps attached, you can do it yourself for little cost. More info here: http://snapsource.com/faqs/introtosnaps.php
Old 10-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Charter Member
You know, even though I know how to replace a zipper and have ready access to all the necessary materials and tools/machinery, when I had a quilted vest with a defective zipper (it's about 30 years old, so wear and tear) I started snapping it closed instead of replacing the zipper. This should tell you something about what a pain in the butt zipper replacement can be.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 PM
If the insight of a total sewing incompetent would be useful, I've had two relevant experiences. The zipper of a still worthwhile (otherwise) winter jacket wore out. I have no sewing machine but a couple spools of thread and a couple needles. I bought a 2 foot long zipper and easily sewed it by hand onto the coat right over the old one, I think during tv commercials one night. My unprofessional repair is still in perfect shape, having lasted longer than the original zipper, and, due to an original flap of the jacket, is not visible (as an unprofessional repair).

As for the other experience, I had the fly on an otherwise still worth-saving pair of pants wear out. I tried replacing that with one of those non-zipper connector strips (I forget the term). It has worked OK but it's more annoying than a zipper.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by putrid
As for the other experience, I had the fly on an otherwise still worth-saving pair of pants wear out. I tried replacing that with one of those non-zipper connector strips (I forget the term). It has worked OK but it's more annoying than a zipper.
Velcro Fly?