Old 11-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Is this a thing? (guys shaving their arms)

So I've run about 4 flu shot clinics in the past month at my pediatric office. When we do the clinics, we also immunize parents, grandparents and caregivers and lately, I've notice that a bunch of the dads have their upper arms shaved. Is this a general maintenance thing, or do people do this for some other reason?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Several reasons:

1) Grooming - Many modern men groom their entire bodies. I prefer clipping over shaving, but I know some guys that just shave everything

2) Removal of hair shows better definition. If it's just confined to the upper arm, it may just be a way of showing off biceps or at least minimizing the flabbiness

3) Sometimes men with hairy backs and shoulders shave these areas. It's kind of hard to know when to stop when shaving shoulders, so some razor users may just drift a bit too far south

Last edited by Jackknifed Juggernaut; 11-19-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-19-2013, 12:15 PM
I have never noticed this (though, honestly, I haven't looked). But god, I *hope* this isn't a trend that becomes the standard, because that would be an incredibly annoying thing to be expected to do.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 PM
We apparently live in an "anti-hair" period, and I can't wait for it to end. Men are butchering their natural hair distribution, and I wish they'd realize how artificial it looks. Especially eyebrows.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM
I've shaved my upper arms a few times for tattoo contests. The creepy part is when a strange guy approaches you in the bathroom at a convention and asks if you'll shave/oil his back-piece. I do it, but christ couldn't you have brought along a friend?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Are you sure they're actually shaving? I'm a moderately hairy guy, but I just don't have any hair between my elbow and my shoulder.

(May just run in my family - all but one of my near adult male relatives on that side of the family (n=7) are the same way: lots of hair, but none on the upper arm.)
Old 11-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAbe View Post
Are you sure they're actually shaving? I'm a moderately hairy guy, but I just don't have any hair between my elbow and my shoulder.

(May just run in my family - all but one of my near adult male relatives on that side of the family (n=7) are the same way: lots of hair, but none on the upper arm.)
Came to add this - I'm of average hairiness I suppose and the darker more noticeable hair on my arms stops just above my elbow. I suspect it has something to do with clothing because it pretty much matches where a standard tee shirt ends on my arms. But that doesn't explain the hair on my chest.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:51 PM
How do you know they are shaving? I have zero hair above my elbow and I don't shave.

My legs have bald spots where my trousers have rubbed it off over the years: My ankles, the back of my calf and areas of my upper thigh. No, I am not shaving random spots on my legs. I wear pants all day long and they rub against those areas.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Charter Member
As others have posted, wearing t-shirts can denude your upper arms. I have hairy arms and the hair stops right where the sleeve begins. It's the hair equivalent of a farmer's tan.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Men are butchering their natural hair distribution, and I wish they'd realize how artificial it looks. Especially eyebrows.
At this point in my life, my eyebrows naturally look like something that would give even Andy Rooney nightmares. Trust me, in my case you'd prefer non-natural eyebrows.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I've shaved my upper arms a few times for tattoo contests. The creepy part is when a strange guy approaches you in the bathroom at a convention and asks if you'll shave/oil his back-piece. I do it, but christ couldn't you have brought along a friend?
I work with a lot of LEOs, and a ton of them shave their arms. A common thread seems to be those LEOs who have tattoos, and/or body build as a hobby.

I always giggle (silently... they are armed) because a girl on my college soccer team shaved her arms. She was from Florida, and I guess everyone just shaves everything down there. It was so weird to the rest of us. Her nick name was "shave arms." Clever, I know.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
We apparently live in an "anti-hair" period, and I can't wait for it to end. Men are butchering their natural hair distribution, and I wish they'd realize how artificial it looks. Especially eyebrows.
^^^^ +1

And women even more so.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Another hairless upper-armed male here. I shave nothing but my face, but have no hair above the elbow. I also have no chest or back hair. Not all of us look like gorillas.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 PM
When I still cared (read: before I got married), I commonly shaved my shoulder/upper arms only.

1. There is a weird amount of hair there...it's sparse, but dark and noticeable, and the hairs are thick. It definitely looks better shaved, and the sparse nature of it means there's an obvious spot to stop shaving without creating a line.
2. It makes arm tattoos look better.

I would never, ever shave my forearms, but for me, this was way different. There is way less hair on mu upper arms, and in comparison, it's way dark/wiry hair that I wasn't fond of.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Quote:
... natural hair distribution...
Band name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
This ... took me a while to understand. I mean, I get it now, and I LOLd when I finally comprehended, but I'll admit several incorrect and far more disturbing scenarios crossed my mind first.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Obligatory.

The hair that grows in that area is usually uneven, thick, scratchy and easy to access. Shaving it takes all of 30 seconds. Why shouldn't you; this isn't equivalent to manscaping as suggested upthread. I shave my upper cheeks (face ones) because these thick hairs come out randomly too. It's hardly vanity.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Quote:
+lots

I don't get it. Men are hot, hairy, not hairy, all of 'em. Stop shaving stuff. Stubble, other than on the chin, is just not nice. Yeuch, how can you cuddle someone with scratchy arms?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracer View Post
+lots

I don't get it. Men are hot, hairy, not hairy, all of 'em. Stop shaving stuff. Stubble, other than on the chin, is just not nice. Yeuch, how can you cuddle someone with scratchy arms?
I generally agree except..back hair is vile and should be eradicated...
Old 11-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
As others have posted, wearing t-shirts can denude your upper arms. I have hairy arms and the hair stops right where the sleeve begins. It's the hair equivalent of a farmer's tan.
Yeah, I assumed it was shaving because they felt all stubbly, but I'm thinking that this must be the reason - unless they were trying to impress a haggy old bag like me with their sexy arms.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm hairy all over. If I shaved anywhere except the traditional beard-denial areas, I wouldn't know where to stop; I'd have to shave all the way down to my ankles, and that'd get expensive. And painful, I'm thinking.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
^^^^ +1

And women even more so.

I prefer we NOT go back to retro bush.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member
Didn't read all the responses. Perhaps they shaved the upper arm for the shot. The idea is to keep the hair from sticking to any bandaid, and the pain associated with ripping it off.

I get blood drawn regularly, and I'll shave the inside of my elbows for the vampire because of this.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
I prefer we NOT go back to retro bush.
** shakes head about Shakes **

Girl hairs!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:23 AM
BANNED
I shave my arms sometimes, shave my whole body too once in a while (legs not included).

Sorry Panache, variety is nice. And a unibrow is never sexy.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectparanoia View Post
I generally agree except..back hair is vile and should be eradicated...
Keeps you surprisingly warm in the winter though....
Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
Sorry Panache, variety is nice. And a unibrow is never sexy.
We already have variety, coming from our DNA. And some unibrows are damn sexy.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:40 AM
As one of those men who "manscapes" his upper arms I found this thread on the internet and found it informative and felt compelled to respond.

First: I don't buy into the idea that wearing t-shirts prevents hair growth on the upper arms because I've lived with upper arm hair all throughout my adolescent/adult life despite the fact that I've worn bazillions of t-shirts. How I truly wish that this would be the case though.

I'm Asian-Caucasian so the Asian in me hates being hairy and the Caucasian laughs his ass off.

I've recently started experimenting with different methods of removing hair from this part of my body (shaving, waxing, plucking etc.) and I think it's for a bunch of different reasons - mostly though because my hair is pretty coarse and dark and I don't like how it feels. I also like being able to actually see my arm and have the option of wearing cut off t-shirts and/or taking my shirt off. It's only been a while but I prefer being able to feel my arms - it's annoying more than anything. I also have a fair bit of hair on my lower arms but I would never shave it. I don't mind having hair there because it's your lower arms and it seems more common place to have hair there. I don't like having to manscape and truly envy other dudes who don't have to worry about this stuff. Believe me it's not fun to be on the other side!
Old 08-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Charter Member
I shave my arms because I just don't like body hair.