Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 12-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 497
Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell in "Hook"

Years ago a friend of mine mentioned to me that for some reason after the first day of shooting, Steven Spielberg was very displeased with Julia Roberts on the set, so much so that Spielberg spent that night rewriting the script to limit Tinkerbell's appearances in the movie. Has this ever been confirmed? What exactly did Julia Roberts allegedly do to infuriate Spielberg so much that he supposedly lost sleep over trying to practically write her out of the script?
#2
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 47,634
It wasn't that she was infuriating. She'd just had a big breakup with her fiance Keith Sutherland, and it left her weepy.
#3
Old 12-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 23,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
It wasn't that she was infuriating. She'd just had a big breakup with her fiance Keith Sutherland, and it left her weepy.
Perhaps you mean Keifer Sutherland. Though I think you're wrong anyway, Wikipedia says it was Dylan McDermott.
#4
Old 12-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 47,634
Here's what I'm remembering (from Wiki):

Julia Roberts met Sutherland in 1990, when they co-starred in Flatliners. In August 1990, Roberts and Sutherland announced their engagement, with an elaborate studio-planned wedding scheduled for 14 June 1991. Roberts broke the engagement three days before the wedding allegedly because Sutherland had been meeting with a stripper named Amanda Rice. Sutherland denied having an affair with Rice and said that they only met because he liked to play pool. On the day of what was supposed to be their wedding, Roberts went to Ireland with Sutherland's friend Jason Patric.

Hook came out in December 1991, and filming began in February 1991. So you can see where this happening during production caused Julia to wig out and need hospitalization. I do see that Spielberg did nickname her "Tinkerhell".
#5
Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 38,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Perhaps you mean Keifer Sutherland. Though I think you're wrong anyway, Wikipedia says it was Dylan McDermott.
On that day, you mean. She's shagged pretty much everything in pants working in Hollywood.
#6
Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,585
If I had seen that movie, I wouldn't have clapped to save Tink's life.

Because sometimes I can be a real prick.
#7
Old 12-11-2013, 01:38 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 22,743
I thought she did pretty well. Maybe not great, but well. The scene where she and Pan are the same size was a powerful one.

To me, it showed the essential amorality of fairies. Tink was on the verge of getting what she wanted, even though it was the farthest thing from what Pan really wanted.

It is a nice treatment of what Barrie himself said about fairies: "Fairies have to be one thing or the other, because being so small they unfortunately have room for one
feeling only at a time."
#8
Old 12-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 7,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
Here's what I'm remembering (from Wiki):

Julia Roberts met Sutherland in 1990, when they co-starred in Flatliners. In August 1990, Roberts and Sutherland announced their engagement, with an elaborate studio-planned wedding scheduled for 14 June 1991. Roberts broke the engagement three days before the wedding allegedly because Sutherland had been meeting with a stripper named Amanda Rice. Sutherland denied having an affair with Rice and said that they only met because he liked to play pool. On the day of what was supposed to be their wedding, Roberts went to Ireland with Sutherland's friend Jason Patric.

Hook came out in December 1991, and filming began in February 1991. So you can see where this happening during production caused Julia to wig out and need hospitalization. I do see that Spielberg did nickname her "Tinkerhell".
It sounds to me like all the drama happened well after filming was over. That explanation doesn't quite work for me.
#9
Old 12-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador Deceiver View Post
It sounds to me like all the drama happened well after filming was over. That explanation doesn't quite work for me.
And like most Kiefer Sutherland drama, it sounds like it all happened in 24 hours.
#10
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: F.O.S.O.N.E.
Posts: 19,903
I recall hearing that filming was difficult for Roberts, because she did nearly all of it solo on a bare greenscreen stage (probably bluescreen in that era, thinking about it). Not excusing her reported behavior and I don't much care for her as an actress, but I can see that weeks and weeks of emoting and doing flying-rig work without any real acting or interaction could get wearing.
#11
Old 12-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Deepest South London
Posts: 20,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
I thought she did pretty well. Maybe not great, but well. The scene where she and Pan are the same size was a powerful one.

To me, it showed the essential amorality of fairies. Tink was on the verge of getting what she wanted, even though it was the farthest thing from what Pan really wanted.

It is a nice treatment of what Barrie himself said about fairies: "Fairies have to be one thing or the other, because being so small they unfortunately have room for one
feeling only at a time."
That comes off far better in the 2003 Peter Pan film. At one point Tinker Bell tries - and nearly succeeds - to get the Lost Boys to murder Wendy.
#12
Old 12-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 11,046
A college professor of mine told a story about Roberts on the set of Hook.

Most of her work on the film was shot on a green screen soundstage, so she was the only actress on the set. Since everything revolved around her, every single crewman had to deal with her demands. After a few bad days, an exasperated and thirsty Julia screamed, "Who do I have to fuck to get a glass of water around here!?" before storming off.

The following day a line with everyone on the crew, each holding a glass of water, greeted her outside her dressing room door.
#13
Old 12-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
The scene where she and Pan are the same size was a powerful one.
I read somewhere that the scene was only written in because Roberts was a prima donna bitch and demanded at least one scene on screen with another actor.
#14
Old 12-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 22,743
I guess we can add movies to sausages and legislation!

(BTW, anyone familiar with Paul Chadwick's "Concrete: Fragile Creature"? An amusing comic-book view of the making of a movie, from the point of view of a super-powered individual... Strange conflux of ideas. But nicely informative on some of the details of the craft.)
#15
Old 12-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi View Post
I read somewhere that the scene was only written in because Roberts was a prima donna bitch and demanded at least one scene on screen with another actor.
That doesn't strike me as such a ludicrous request.
#16
Old 12-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboard View Post
That doesn't strike me as such a ludicrous request.
It is when you signed on to play Tinkerbell the tiny fairy.

A friend read an interview with Roberts where she said that she suffered a miscarriage around the time of filming and so appreciated the time alone to mourn. Don't know if that's true, or a way for her to explain bad behavior, or what.
#17
Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 10,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
I recall hearing that filming was difficult for Roberts, because she did nearly all of it solo on a bare greenscreen stage (probably bluescreen in that era, thinking about it). Not excusing her reported behavior and I don't much care for her as an actress, but I can see that weeks and weeks of emoting and doing flying-rig work without any real acting or interaction could get wearing.
It shows in the final product. Anytime I watch this and her parts come on I feel like I'm suddenly watching another movie. When she's blathering on about who knows what I half expect Robin William to look behind himself and ask "Who is she talking to?"
#18
Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
I recall hearing that filming was difficult for Roberts, because she did nearly all of it solo on a bare greenscreen stage (probably bluescreen in that era, thinking about it). Not excusing her reported behavior and I don't much care for her as an actress, but I can see that weeks and weeks of emoting and doing flying-rig work without any real acting or interaction could get wearing.
Oh, boo hoo for her. For what she gets paid, she should be on her knees thanking her lucky stars she's not cleaning someone's toilet for a living.
#19
Old 12-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by White SIFL View Post
Oh, boo hoo for her. For what she gets paid, she should be on her knees thanking her lucky stars she's not cleaning someone's toilet for a living.
Too bad human nature doesn't work that way at all. You ever get pissy at your job? You could be subsistence farming in China you ungrateful jerk!

See?
#20
Old 12-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 11,046
Whatever was the issue, by multiple accounts she was horrible to work with and took her problems out on Spielberg and the whole crew over the course of many days and weeks. I can understand having a bad day or two, but this wasn't that.

Roberts doesn't exactly have a superb reputation for being easy to work with from other movies, either. For example, she reportedly forced reshoots for one scene in Ocean's 11 because she decided a week later she didn't like her dress.

I should mention that she's a good actress and likeable on screen. It's not like she's Sean Young.
#21
Old 12-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
It shows in the final product. Anytime I watch this and her parts come on I feel like I'm suddenly watching another movie.

Don't really care for her, but I'll watch out for her parts.
__________________
The efficiency and success of the Italian aviators in Tripoli are noteworthy, but must not be overvalued. There were no opponents in the air.

v. Bernhardi ---- Germany and the Next War
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: accountant green visor insurance pronunciation penguin nativity set garbage disposal injuries the ramones suck forrest tucker endowed japanese nobility old west coffins zay7032g milling machine bleaching towels red teletubby recall random skype ja drool rouged knees dormouse quotes popeye lyric hells angel hammer cut metal pipe looping dreams define shawshank medieval setting kindle fire bookmark undercover boss real public beastiality substitute for water news reporter voice squidward insults goofballs meaning quickie 200 mechanic check biggest poop ever is screw you a bad word do amish pay property taxes new direction weight loss reviews wells fargo cd rate why does polonius send reynaldo to paris count coins by weight what are steam booster packs for taken by the wind do rhinos stamp out fires shoes squeak on tile what does cheese taste like fcc id lookup by vin chinese symbol for war dimmer switch lights flickering dont put your dick in crazy pizza stone vs cast iron food grade paraffin wax walmart am fm transmitter dragon age origins best one handed weapon what temperature does mercury boil dulce de leche pronunciation if i throw up after taking a pill will it still work how many generations since slavery dual hose portable ac unit dull pain in tip of penis can ibuprofen make you high why doesn't the federation have cloaking technology cain and abel scp groucho marx net worth rhoden family murders wiki