Old 01-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Help! Need to find a driver for my ethernet controller. No network card detected.

A couple days ago I started a thread about installing Win7 on a Win8 machine. Different problem now.

I got 7 installed and working, however I can't connect to the internet. The computer doesn't recognize any network cards and says it's missing the Ethernet Controller driver. The service is fine as I'm connected with the laptop.

The sysem is a Gateway SX211G-UW318. I went to the GW site and downloaded a driver to a flash drive, but installing it involves connected to their site at one point. I called GW and they want to charge for support.

So what I need help with is finding the driver I can upload from the flash drive to get it working. Never experienced this kind of problem before.

Any help? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:00 AM
You need to find out what exact Ethernet Controller your Gateway SX211G-UW318 has built in.
I guess you are looking for the wired network connection.

On their support site ( Link ) you can find a SX2110G Desktop PC.

Driver for Win8

Driver for Win7 64bit

Wireless: (not sure which one you may have)

Atheros Driver One

Ralink Driver Two

Last edited by Doughbag; 01-11-2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: added Wireless
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 AM
What would be the easiest way to find the manufacturer? Would it be printed right on the card? I haven't opened the case yet.

The drivers in that link were what I tried but it appears the 2nd step of installation requires a connection. IIRC.

If it matters it's the 32bit version of 7.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer View Post
What would be the easiest way to find the manufacturer? Would it be printed right on the card? I haven't opened the case yet.

The drivers in that link were what I tried but it appears the 2nd step of installation requires a connection. IIRC.

If it matters it's the 32bit version of 7.
It does matter if its 32 bit or 64bit, however this driver contains both versions 32 & 64bit)
A network card driver file does normally not require a connection to the net to install the driver, except for the part of getting a driver.

Finding out what card you got in can be a problem if itís an integrated one, like what you seem to have, since itís not a card itself - itís only a chip on the mainboard.

However, try to extract the Lan_Realtek_7.045.0516.2011_W7x64_A.zip file onto the Flash drive .
When updating/installing the driver select this folder for the driver location: x:\Lan_Realtek_7.045.0516.2011_W7x64_A\Lan_Realtek_7.045.0516.2011_W7x64\WIN7\64
(X or whatever drive letter your flash drive on your PC has)

That should do the trick.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:08 PM
That was it Doughbag! Thank you so much!

Last edited by duffer; 01-11-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer View Post
That was it Doughbag! Thank you so much!
Your welcome!
Old 01-14-2014, 05:20 AM
Good you got it sorted.

The free version of Speccy will give details of what is in your computer so may be useful for next time.

http://piriform.com/speccy