Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Why do people keep their wallet in their back-pocket?

As it says in the title, I've never understood why people do this, men walking around with a highly visible and easily removed wallet at the rear of their trousers.

And then they seem surprised when its stolen?!?

Weak-sauce of a thread I know but its just another of those things that gives me a little internal eyebrow raise when I see it.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Pockets aren't picked all that often.
And if you've got a thick wallet having it in the front pocket is awkward to take in and out. Especially when sitting.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Charter Member
Because it pokes me when I sit with it in my front pocket, and I do not wear a suit or sportjacket often enough to use one of those inside pockets. Most of my trousers have a button on the right-hane back pocket for a skosh more security.

In almost fifty years I have not ever had my pocket picked, even in major metropolitan areas and crowded entertainment venues.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 AM
My wallet is a clever decoy. All of my money is kept wadded up throughout all of my other pockets.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesj2205 View Post
Especially in the US, for whatever reason.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 AM
Charter Member
I can't tell you why they do but I can tell you why I don't.

I moved my wallet to the front pocket about 20 years ago when I worked in an office that had nylon mesh covered chairs. When my wallet was in the back pocket the nylon mesh would wear the pocket where the corner of the wallet jutted out.
After losing three pair of dress pants for no other reason than a worn pocket I switched positions. Never went back.

Carry my money in a clip in one front pocket. Carry my cards in a small wallet in the other front pocket.

Last edited by BubbaDog; 01-20-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: then than what's the diff
Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 AM
My wallet is the third most important thing I carry, after my phone and my keys. They go in my front pockets, and my wallet is delegated to the rear.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Like others have said, sitting with a wallet in the front pocket can be difficult especially if there's a set of keys, handkerchief, and maybe a cell phone in them.

I will move my wallet to a front pocket if I'm in an area where pick-pocketing could be a problem such as walking in crowds.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Never been pick-pocketed, and a front pocket would be way uncomfortable and inconvenient.

Keys left front. Knife and change right front. If I kept a wallet in there also, it would make the other stuff hard to get out. And the wallet would be hard to get out too. Impossible if I'm sitting down. For instance, in a restaurant, getting ready to pay the bill.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Strangely, I find the complete opposite. It's incredibly uncomfortable in my back pocket, as it seems to cause a sciatica flare-up. Meanwhile, despite being overweight, I don't find it particularly difficult to get my wallet out of my front pocket when sitting, unless I'm also wearing a seatbelt. I also prefer the added security of having it in the front.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Charter Member
I moved mine to my front pocket when I started driving stick. All the extra movement of my legs would shift my wallet around and I'd have to keep moving it. Keeping it in my front pocket was much more comfortable.
Nowadays, I just leave it in my car and carry my cash, my DL and a credit card in my pocket. If I need anything else from my wallet (which is hardly ever) I can grab it from my car. It's a lot nicer not carrying around a bulky wallet everywhere I go.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Because the front pocket folds inside, in the middle of where the wallet would be.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:43 AM
I don;t carry anything in my pant pockets. I find it really uncomfortable.

Everything is in my jacket. Except summer when I wear a fanny pack. :P I'm so fashinable.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Charter Member
I switched to a minimal-contents wallet in my front pocket when it dawned on me that sitting sideways on a fat wad might have been the cause of my sciatica. It hasn't been a problem since.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 AM
I also switched mine to the front pocket when I started having sciatica pain about a year ago.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 AM
I've never seen anyone use their back pockets for anything (well, not noticed it anyway). Wouldn't it be really uncomfortable when you sit down to have a wallet there?

Last edited by Kiyoshi; 01-20-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:25 AM
For comfort's sake, and because my wallet is a fold-in type (quite lumpy) I carry it in my shirt pocket. Bills folded neatly in a pants pocket. Keys in another pants pocket. If I'm wearing a coat with pockets it goes in there.

That started out of minor concern for pickpocketing many years ago and just became a habit. I only need the wallet for ID and cards anyway. It's bulky because of other assorted paper that winds up there.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi View Post
I've never seen anyone use their back pockets for anything (well, not noticed it anyway). Wouldn't it be really uncomfortable when you sit down to have a wallet there?
Most of the time I don't notice. Except I got a new car last year with really firm seats, and now I find that I have to put my wallet somewhere else when I sit down in my car.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Really? I see men with their wallet there often (I'd guess over 80%) and some women put cell phones in their back pockets (around 10%). I've been sitting on my wallet for over 40 years, never bothered me. I'm so accustomed to it that if it's not there for some reason, I get a panicked a bit.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 PM
I found sitting on my wallet to be uncomfortable. It is not at all uncomfortable in my front pocket, but I get comments from men sometimes about how I must be a tightwad for keeping it there. I don't get it.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Inebriate of air
Moving thread from back pocket to front ... er, I mean from MPSIMS to IMHO.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Charter Member
Echoing the sciatica issue.

My (then) partner attended the Doc complaining of shooting pains through his buttock and down leg, and was prescribed a change of venue for his wallet. Apparently it is a very common cause of sciatica without any accompanying back issues.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:09 PM
I have a wide, flat wallet that's perfectly shaped for a back pocket. Of course, this size means it doesn't fit in any other pocket unless they are the same size and shape as a back pocket. Naturally, that's where it goes then. Since it's wide and flat, I can keep money and cards in there without much thickness because they're all spread out rather than stacked on top of one another.

Also, my keys and knife occupy my front right pocket, and my cell phone my front left pocket. No room in those anyway.

Never had anybody attempt to remove it anywhere I've been, even at concerts which I would imagine are a good spot for that.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Sitting on my wallet feels much better than sitting on my keys.

I wear my shirts untucked, so it isn't really obvious that there's a wallet back there. I have keys in a phone in the front pockets.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
I don;t carry anything in my pant pockets. I find it really uncomfortable.

Everything is in my jacket. Except summer when I wear a fanny pack. :P I'm so fashinable.
"It's a European carryall!"

BTW OP, IMHO it's not a weak thread -- I've always wondered the same thing!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Pick pockets are not very common in the US.

I keep my wallet in the rear pocket because the front pocket is for the hand gun.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Which is why I still lament the demise of JNCO Jeans. Thank Og I bought so many back in the day that I still have and wear them.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm wondering how many people have ever heard the term "drop wallet" or know what it means?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disposable Hero View Post
As it says in the title, I've never understood why people do this, men walking around with a highly visible and easily removed wallet at the rear of their trousers.

Weak-sauce of a thread I know but its just another of those things that gives me a little internal eyebrow raise when I see it.
I'm guilty of it and also do it with my new smartphone too!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:20 PM
I've never kept my wallet in my back pocket. Sounds like a good way to warp your cards.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesj2205 View Post
And if you've got a thick wallet having it in the front pocket is awkward to take in and out. Especially when sitting.
But a back pocket wallet means sitting on your wallet, which cannot be comfortable. I never use my back pockets.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash View Post
Strangely, I find the complete opposite. It's incredibly uncomfortable in my back pocket, as it seems to cause a sciatica flare-up.
That happens when you actually sit on the wallet in your back pocket. If you slide it to the side, you don't have that problem.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 PM
Charter Member
Most guys on the SDMB put their wallet in the right rear pants pocket.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 PM
My grandfather was pickpocketed, in some foreign country when he was a tourist. They didn't lift the wallet out the top, the slit the bottom of the pocket.

He always wore dress pants. I'd think it would be easier to slip a wallet out of dress pants, and also easier to cut the fabric as happened to him, than to do either to a pair of denim blue jeans (which is what I always wear). So maybe that's part of the reason we can keep our wallets in our back pockets: it's just not that easy to pick-pocket somone anymore.

Has anyone here been pick-pocketed, or know anyone who has been?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
If I'm wearing a coat with pockets it goes in there.

Trouble is that its more likely to get lost if its in the coat.

You check your coat in at the door, you leave it on the ground when you are in the park,
you hang it on the chair, you throw it over the door at the change room (females shopping ?) you take it off and carry it when you get onto a bus that has the air controls up to a high temperature.... You leave it behind in the car or at the office,

And then when the wallet falls out of the coat.. Or you choose the wrong coat.. you are sure you got the one with the wallet in it.. can't be bothered to test for it.. So now you've got the coat but not the wallet.

Last edited by Isilder; 01-21-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:13 AM
I obviate the entire problem of choice by having a small boy in a turban carry my wallet on a plush cushion at a discreet distance.

Those supposing a small boy can be easily mugged may rest assured by his skill with a Glock. Carried behind him by yet another child with a cushion.

v. Bernhardi ---- Germany and the Next War
Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 AM
What kind of deep-pocket pants do you all have where you can sit ON your wallet? I'm sitting down now with my wallet in my left rear pocket and it's still positioned high enough that I'm not sitting on it.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 AM
After I split a few credit cards and driving licence card I moved to side pockets and also use those metal things that claim to stop someone grabbing data from my CC.
But in recent years my wife keeps my money in her handbag which is safer.If I want money I just ask her.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBeam View Post
<snip>Has anyone here been pick-pocketed, or know anyone who has been?<snip>
Once I was walking through a park and a thug told me that he had a gun and demanded I handed over my wallet to him. I just said, "Yes" and took out my "drop wallet" and handed it to him.

It's called a drop wallet because in the event of a mugging, you just drop it and go. It only ever contains a bunch of worthless junk and maybe ten dollars in bills and change. It's entirely phoney. You carry it in your pants pocket while you carry your real wallet in a money belt or some other location. Women can do the same thing. But there is no need to carry two purses. Just hide your valuables somewhere they wouldn't search - somewhere it would take too long to get to.

When a thief or mugger is robbing you, they don't want to take the time to go through your purse or wallet. They see you take it out of your pants or wherever most people carry it and they just assume it's for real. Why wouldn't it be? It's only later they discover that it's just junk.

One bonus of this approach is that if any cops ask you to stick around and itemize was was stolen, there was nothing of any value stolen and you can just leave. It's a bit of a chore to always carry an extra wallet or purse. But if you ever get mugged, the nice feeling more than makes up for it.

I wish I could sell drop wallets and drop purses by mail order or over the Net. But as soon as I were to describe them, people would just make them for themselves. They don't need me. But I pass this technique on to you with my best wishes and I hope it saves you a whole lot of trouble if you ever get robbed.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-21-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
My wallet is the third most important thing I carry, after my phone and my keys. They go in my front pockets, and my wallet is delegated to the rear.
Phone in the front left, keys and change in the front right*, wallet in the back right, chequebook in the back left.

* When I was overseas I didn't have a phone; I carried local change in the front right pocket, since it was what I would normally be using, and US change in the front left.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disposable Hero View Post

I rarely place my wallet or much else in my pants pockets, but when I do, I prefer the rear ones. Unless very small, like my key FOB, keeping objects in my side pockets makes it uncomfortable when I walk or sit. The rear pockets aren't great, but they're better.

That said, I wouldn't consider it easy to remove in either case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
Echoing the sciatica issue.

My (then) partner attended the Doc complaining of shooting pains through his buttock and down leg, and was prescribed a change of venue for his wallet. Apparently it is a very common cause of sciatica without any accompanying back issues.
Interesting, this never occurred to me. Learned something new.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
But a back pocket wallet means sitting on your wallet, which cannot be comfortable. I never use my back pockets.
If it becomes uncomfortable, that means it's time to clear out all the old ATM chits and reminder notes to myself.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krouget View Post
I rarely place my wallet or much else in my pants pockets, but when I do, I prefer the rear ones. Unless very small, like my key FOB, keeping objects in my side pockets makes it uncomfortable when I walk or sit. The rear pockets aren't great, but they're better.

That said, I wouldn't consider it easy to remove in either case.

Interesting, this never occurred to me. Learned something new.
Yep - I read about this 30 or so years ago. About 24 years ago, a fellow I was working with complained about sciatica pain. I looked over, saw that he carried a thick wallet in his back pocket, and suggested he move it.

Cured him, I did I told him he owed me 40 bucks for the consult. I never did get paid
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
"It's a European carryall!"

My wife calls it a purse.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 AM
This is also related to the issue of wallets generally being too big IMO.

No pocket is comfortable for me to carry a full-size, leather, man-wallet stuffed with reams of cash. I don't know how people do it*. But of the pockets to carry it in, I'd say jacket and back pocket are slightly less annoying / constricting than the front pocket.
And jacket has issues of its own -- you might remove the jacket, or if it's unbuttoned it might flap about in the wind (yeah....I actually lost a wallet that way once ).

* For me, since you're dying to know, I just keep 3 or 4 cards in one of those cheapo, plastic card-holder things now. Fits fine in a front pocket. I might put a few notes into one of the spaces but generally I'll pay for things by card.

Last edited by Mijin; 01-21-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Wallet and Other Stuff

I've learned over the years to keep my wallet in my front pocket instead of my rear pocket. I've never been a victim of a pick pocket and I've lived and worked in NYC all my Life. But as time passed and as the crime rate seemed to rise on a steady basis especially on the Subway I somehow without even thinking about it moved my Wallet from the back pocket to the left front pocket with my keys in my right front pocket. When wearing a jacket or coat that has an inside pocket I simply transfer my wallet there. If your a victim of a pick pocket you not only lose money, you also lose other important stuff such as drivers licenses and other documents!
Old 01-21-2014, 04:19 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
So that in bars, I can tell the young lady, "I'm not really this tall. I'm sitting on my wallet."

I need all the help I can get in those situations.