Old 03-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Can you get sick from your own poop or just other peoples?

I know you can get sick if you eat food made by people with poop on their hands. You apparently can also catch pink eye if someone farts on your pillow from the small poop particles. But how come we don't get sick from our own poop, or do we? I always thought we do not get sick from our own poop otherwise why don't we all have a infection in our intestines from the bacteria, but then I read urinary tract infections are caused by E coli. Their seems to be some confusion on this. What if we made food for ourselves with our own poop on our hands would we get sick? What about if we touched our eye with poop on our fingers, would we get a eye infection?
Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 PM
You could. Your colon has a large range of bacteria to help keep nasties in poop in check but if those nasties get introduced into a different area, there may not be enough of a resident population of bacteria to prevent them from spreading. Your body is getting rid of the stuff for a reason; it's best to just let it do its thing.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:15 PM
You can definitely get sick from eating your own poop. Big problem with people who have Alzheimer's and traumatic brain injury.l

Old 03-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Perhaps I was not clear enough, I have gone poop, forgot to wash my hands and made food for myself and eaten and was fine. I have had others go poop, not wash their hands and make food for me and I was sick and had bad diarrhea. So I think maybe you can not get sick from your own poop.

Last edited by sara20; 03-27-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Need answer fast?
Old 03-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara20 View Post
Perhaps I was not clear enough, I have gone poop, forgot to wash my hands and made food for myself and eaten and was fine. I have had others go poop, not wash their hands and make food for me and I was sick and had bad diarrhea. So I think maybe you can not get sick from your own poop.
There's probably a lower probability that you'll get sick if it's your own, because the odds that you've been exposed to that particular illness are higher given that you're carrying it around, but I'll leave that to others to answer. Some other factors you should consider:

1. You might have a better wiping style than they, such that your hands remain clean where theirs don't.
2. You might have a worse method of washing your hands, such that you're exposed to your own fecal matter more often and thus have built up a higher tolerance than is normal.
3. The other people who didn't wash their hands just happened to have been carrying something to which you were particularly susceptible, but generally that wouldn't be the case.
4. Hand washing may have had nothing to do with your getting sick. It may have been something else, and it was just happenstance that you found someone who admitted to not having washed their hands, when you were trying to find out why.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Quote:
I know you can get sick if you eat food made by people with poop on their hands. You apparently can also catch pink eye if someone farts on your pillow from the small poop particles. But how come we don't get sick from our own poop, or do we? I always thought we do not get sick from our own poop otherwise why don't we all have a infection in our intestines from the bacteria, but then I read urinary tract infections are caused by E coli.?
You can definitely get sick from your own poop. The reason you don't on a routine basis is that bacteria cannot cross the intestinal wall into your body cavities; they stay in the intestine and get pooped out. An intestinal perforation is a common emergency in general/colorectal surgery. This can cause an infection which can rapidly become lethal if not caught and treated right away.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Look, really, just don't eat poop. Is that too much to ask?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
Need answer fast?
LOL, this thread is too much.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
Some people believe that fecal-oral transmission from poor hygiene is how Third World vegans get their vitamin B12. That may be a factor, but truthfully, it's because their food contains insects.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Perhaps I was not clear enough, I have gone poop, forgot to wash my hands and made food for myself and eaten and was fine.
Ewww TMI. Please use a spoiler alert next time.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:05 PM
How come no one is addressing the pillow fart statement?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 PM
They'd have to fart on your pillow nude, wouldn't they? Just thinking it through.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:52 PM

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 03-27-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
There's probably a lower probability that you'll get sick if it's your own, because the odds that you've been exposed to that particular illness are higher given that you're carrying it around, but I'll leave that to others to answer.
I think Cecil's column on coprophagia backs that up:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Adams
To be fair, such ailments are less of a problem for a monogamous couple than for people having sex with multiple partners, each of whom may bring a new set of bugs to the table.
The rest of what you said makes sense too.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:54 PM
BANNED
From some physiology courses, I'm skeptical that eating a small amount of poop would make you sick. There's a bunch of nasty proteases in your stomach that should be able to kill most of the bacteria. Also, even if they get into the upper intestinal tract, where they going to go from there? Those fecal bacteria already live in the lower part and it's already one long tube...the only thing stopping them from living in the upper part has to be environmental differences (enzymes that are loose)

In fact, I don't know if a shit sandwich (of your own poop) is going to do anything.

Of course, other people's poop, all bets are off, etc.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:58 AM
Quote:
No, uh, shit!

Hey OP, how old are you?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:19 AM
I usually do wash my hands, but I have perfected the art of never, ever getting shit on my hands while shitting. I perfected this when I was about, say, four. I even managed to change the diapers of some people I gave birth to without getting shit on my hands although that was a bit trickier. Wiping, you're doing it wrong.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:23 AM
Great. Now I'm always going to smirk when I see someone with pinkeye.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:42 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Perhaps I was not clear enough, I have gone poop, forgot to wash my hands and made food for myself and eaten and was fine. I have had others go poop, not wash their hands and make food for me and I was sick and had bad diarrhea.
How could you possibly know this? "Here - I made you a sandwich. By the way, I just did an epic shit and forgot to wash my hands"? More likely, you're attributing meaning to a pattern that was just luck.

Quote:
So I think maybe you can not get sick from your own poop.
Yes you can. The bacteria that live in the lower part of your digestive system can easily make you very ill if they get into the top part.

But in general, people don't get sick from ingesting small doses of bacteria - so failing to wash your hands before eating is less of a serious problem than you might think, in most cases.

Failing to wash your hands before preparing food, then storing that food in conditions where bacteria can thrive, allows a significant population to build up - and that's what will make people sick - they ingest enough of a dose for the bacteria to overwhelm their defences.

Last edited by Mangetout; 03-28-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
How could you possibly know this? "Here - I made you a sandwich. By the way, I just did an epic shit and forgot to wash my hands"?
I assumed either there was macroscopic evidence on Chef Boyardee's hands, or the sammich stank. Which was it, OP?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Perhaps I was not clear enough, I have gone poop, forgot to wash my hands and made food for myself and eaten and was fine.
How in the hell do you forget something like that?

Quote:
I have had others go poop, not wash their hands and make food for me and I was sick and had bad diarrhea. So I think maybe you can not get sick from your own poop.
Again, how would you know this?
Old 03-28-2014, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
I have perfected the art of never, ever getting shit on my hands while shitting. I perfected this when I was about, say, four. I even managed to change the diapers of some people I gave birth to without getting shit on my hands although that was a bit trickier. Wiping, you're doing it wrong.
Are you wearing disposable rubber gloves when you do this? Do wrap your entire hand in tissue? Please explain the "art" you learned at age 4 that allows you to stick your hand right up your arse and on to the evacuation point without the possibility of getting any fecal matter transferred to your hands. And please, while illustrations are not required they may helpful.

Also, Please assure us that you don't work in the food service industry.

Last edited by Si Amigo; 03-28-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I assumed either there was macroscopic evidence on Chef Boyardee's hands, or the sammich stank. Which was it, OP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
How in the hell do you forget something like that?

Again, how would you know this?
Furthermore, there's usually an incubation period for this category of food poisoning - making it hard enough to identify the source when multiple people all get poisoned from eating at the same restaurant/cafe - and having identified the source, it's harder still to nail down what actually went wrong to cause the incident.

The claim made by the OP in post #4 just doesn't stack up at all.

There are kinds of food poisoning that can make you ill within minutes of ingestion, but they are not caused by contamination of the kind being discussed here.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Laughing so hard my co-workers are walking over...
Old 03-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Quote:
I'm going to need a cite that I shouldn't eat poop.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 AM
its a waste by product of the body .... the cells exhaust remains of fuel they use to survive

so no, and as quoted, ewww
Old 03-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Well, this turned out to be a shitty conversation.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
I'm going to need a cite that I shouldn't eat poop.
Go get yourself a burrito or something and when you get back I'll have something for you.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Quote:
I usually do wash my hands, but I have perfected the art of never, ever getting shit on my hands while shitting. I perfected this when I was about, say, four. I even managed to change the diapers of some people I gave birth to without getting shit on my hands although that was a bit trickier. Wiping, you're doing it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
Are you wearing disposable rubber gloves when you do this? Do wrap your entire hand in tissue? Please explain the "art" you learned at age 4 that allows you to stick your hand right up your arse and on to the evacuation point without the possibility of getting any fecal matter transferred to your hands. And please, while illustrations are not required they may helpful.

Also, Please assure us that you don't work in the food service industry.
I must apologize as I didn't realize that at four years old you must have invented the Comfort Wipe. This is obviously a vast improvement on the Roman method of wiping ones rear. I would shake your hand, but I'm still not certain that this is what you meant.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Er...I think you may be doing it wrong, too.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:14 PM
SDSAB
Quote:
You're not my supervisor!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:49 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuffle View Post
How come no one is addressing the pillow fart statement?
TSTM

[Too Stupid To Mention]
Old 03-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Some people believe that fecal-oral transmission from poor hygiene is how Third World vegans get their vitamin B12. That may be a factor, but truthfully, it's because their food contains insects.
We have much to learn from them.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:30 PM
My dog eats his own shit, esp in winter (we call them Poopsicles) and it doesn't make him sick. So there's that.

OTOH, he eats the cat's shit and becomes really ill.

We keep the yard and cat litter pans as clean as we can, but our dog loves the seemingly endless buffet of poop offerings.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:49 AM
Quote:
I know you can get sick if you eat food made by people with poop on their hands.
Say that 10 times fast. In public. While wringing your hands.

I'll explain why later, just do it.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Er...I think you may be doing it wrong, too.
Hard to find a fresh corncob this time of year.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athabasca View Post
My dog eats his own shit, esp in winter (we call them Poopsicles) and it doesn't make him sick. So there's that.

OTOH, he eats the cat's shit and becomes really ill.

We keep the yard and cat litter pans as clean as we can, but our dog loves the seemingly endless buffet of poop offerings.
Animals lick their own arses. I dont think we can infer safe human protocol from them.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Mange-tout?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Mange-tout?
I had so hoped we wouldn't tread there.

ETA: I can totally accept it if this is some sort of personal shortcoming.

Last edited by kayaker; 03-29-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Hard to find a fresh corncob this time of year.
So, do you just use your bare hand in these troubling times? I use toilet paper and have no memory of getting poop on my hand from wiping.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
So, do you just use your bare hand in these troubling times? I use toilet paper and have no memory of getting poop on my hand from wiping.
Nope but even with paper you are still sticking you hand into a potential ecoli area and pose a risk of passing this on to others. Why do you think that health codes require workers to wash before returning to work. Seriously, this "issue" was decided early in the previous century when science of disease control thru sanitation was accepted and proven thru actual practice. Wash your hands after you wipe people. It's not something that is open to debate.

I don't really care if you think that your hands are clean after you wipe. It's not about you.

Last edited by Si Amigo; 03-31-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Mange-tout?
Yes, but I'm not a literalist about it.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:16 PM
In all seriousness...

The only reason I looked this up is because my mom is 80 and has a dreadful condition called Dimentia...obviously on waiting lists for in-home care and nursing home care...but she continues to spend small portions of her day at home alone and is very confused about toileting and hygiene. Without proper monitoring and prompting/cues about what to do next, I'm wondering if she could be getting her recent bouts of digestive upset due to the fact that she may not be washing her hands properly. (I also shudder to think of the obvious...as one time she tried to eat some paper on a fork...) Incontinence has progressed rapidly in the past few months and I'm certain she is not able to clean properly after an accident, even though she might tell us she did. I have a good sense of humour, and got a chuckle out of some of the responses in this thread, however, we can't forget about some of the things that are not so funny in this life. Alzheimer's and Dimentia are one of those things. Take care of your bodies and brains everyone. Nobody hopes and dreams that their last years will end this way.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
You're not my supervisor!
This issue has been covered in many staff meetings. There is no need to re-hash it again.

If you don't want people eating your poop at work please label the container that you put in the staff refrigerator clearly, with your name and the expiration date of the poop, so it can be tossed out when no longer edible.

I shudder to think how some of our staff are storing poop at home. Please respect your co-workers and label that shit properly.

Thank you.

Your supervisor.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Borealis View Post
The only reason I looked this up is because my mom is 80 and has a dreadful condition called Dimentia...obviously on waiting lists for in-home care and nursing home care...but she continues to spend small portions of her day at home alone and is very confused about toileting and hygiene. Without proper monitoring and prompting/cues about what to do next, I'm wondering if she could be getting her recent bouts of digestive upset due to the fact that she may not be washing her hands properly. (I also shudder to think of the obvious...as one time she tried to eat some paper on a fork...) Incontinence has progressed rapidly in the past few months and I'm certain she is not able to clean properly after an accident, even though she might tell us she did. I have a good sense of humour, and got a chuckle out of some of the responses in this thread, however, we can't forget about some of the things that are not so funny in this life. Alzheimer's and Dimentia are one of those things. Take care of your bodies and brains everyone. Nobody hopes and dreams that their last years will end this way.
I am sorry for my previous, frivolous poop post.

A former co-worker's mom was a very independent sort and lived mostly alone into her '90s. Lots of family stopping by to check on her but letting her live her life as independent as possible.

She got a raging e-coli infection from and unknown source and her kidneys shut down and so did she a bit later. There is a real, hard, balancing act between letting old people live their lives as they want, and protecting them as if they were children.

I wish you well.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:55 PM
No shit, this is one of my favorite threads in quite a while.

Well, there may have been a little shit, since we have very thin TP here at work, and it tore at a critical time. But I washed my hands while singing Happy Birthday, so yeah, no shit.

Last edited by leftfield6; 03-04-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:57 PM
SDSAB
What a load of crap.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Charter Member
Hey, no threadshitting!
Old 03-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habeed View Post
In fact, I don't know if a shit sandwich (of your own poop) is going to do anything.
Even disregarding the bacterial content, you may well be making a possible worm infestation worse this way.

Not that I think you're seriously suggesting someone eat a poop sandwich.

Last edited by Teuton; 03-04-2015 at 04:45 PM.