Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Cuban restaurants called "Versailles" - WTF?

Can somebody explain why there are so many Cuban restaurants around the country named "Versailles?" I'm just not seeing the connection. But there they are - LA, Miami, New York...did Louis XIV found Havana or what?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Sith Mod
The original Versailles Cuban restaurant in Miami is a huge part of the Cuban ex-pat community in Florida. All the others are part of the same chain that was spun off that first restaurant.

Not sure why the founder of the original restaurant went with that name. Maybe he just thought it sounded classy.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:51 AM
The best explanation I've read is that the building in Miami was originally a French restaurant called Versailles and when Felipe Valls, Sr. acquired it in 1971 he made it Cuban but kept the name and decor, which with its etched glass and statuettes had been designed to call to mind the French palace.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: periscope binoculars smallest unit doubletree hotel mattress molecule vs salt lesbian etymology learn latin books 1500w heater ghost rider meaning chemical stress test small ranges iverson sleeve plays with nudity toilet stinks hanging sex basket security sensor stickers the bloody board pixi pit borg enterprise fuzzy handcuffs spencers pp meaning pages patriotism is bad medical nitrogen bomb squad suit nurse horror stories johnny concheroo paneling adhesive big ending snapping someone's neck door ding insurance smash message boards sweater weather clothes good microscope steam vs ps4 obvibase review rind of orange post nasal mucus plug are riot shields bulletproof why is africa so far behind instructions not included maggie died del taco fish taco sauce recipe the more water i drink the more i want quit smoking hardest day can you drink alcohol with melatonin where is the broiler in my electric oven quit smoking shortness of breath profiles international profile xt calories in confectioners sugar negative i am a meat popsicle old uhaul trailers for sale temperature for frozen pizza how to bury a cat barnes and noble store pickup online price xcom enemy unknown will dark knight bank manager how to unnumb your mouth 12 days of christmas funny babies born without kneecaps snopes how to buzz your hair clicking in right ear toyota radio security code reset when is the right time to get a promise ring why do anime characters have spiky hair how to stay up for 48 hours amazon temporarily out of stock parking outside new york city sudafed 96 count box let the right one in quotes neck pain day after drinking alcohol