Old 06-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Profuse sweating after showering?

Hey guys. As you may have guessed from the title that you just clicked on, I experience excessive sweat after showering. Specifically, on my back... a bit under the armpits sometimes, but not as often or nearly as severely. I've tried a bunch of stuff to stop the sweating (i.e. standing in front of an ac, pat-drying, lowering shower temp... etc.), but usually just have to wait it out. I'm currently 1 hour and 40 minutes and two completely soaked-through towels after my most recent shower, and there's no sign of the sweat letting up yet.

So, if anyone here could provide me with some insight as to what causes this, or provide any possible solutions, that would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Do you have any respiratory issues. I know someone who has complained a lot of sweating recently who actually had a respiratory infection they were unaware of.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 PM
None that I'm aware of, at least. Was their problem specifically after showering also? Sweating is never an issue for me aside from after showers, and never occurs that badly except on my back.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:10 PM
I've never heard of this. Do you get the same problem after taking baths or just showers? Does the water temp matter (you mention turning the water temp down at the end of showers). Do showers after exercise make this worse than showers that are not after activity? Have you ever gotten a thermometer and measured your body temp before, during and after the shower?
Old 06-16-2014, 11:18 PM
Haven't taken a bath in a long time, so I'm not sure on that one. I've gradually lowered the water temperature a few times before getting out of the shower, and it seems to not make a difference. For exercise, haven't really gotten that much in for some time now, so can't say. And no, never even thought of doing that... I'll have to search around here for a thermometer.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:20 PM
Maybe you're allergic to something in your soap, shampoo, or water. Does it happen when you take showers in a different city?

Do you feel hot, notice any flushness in your face or skin, faster heartbeat, or feelings of anxiety? Perhaps your body could be releasing adrenaline.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:29 PM
The thought of allergies had occurred to me.. but it doesn't seem to make sense, seeing that it's only my back with this problem. I have always taken relatively hot showers, so I do feel hot upon exiting the shower. However, as I said, I've reduced the temperature during a few showers when this started becoming an issue for me.. to the point where I was rather cold upon exiting, but I still had crazy sweat afterwards.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:35 PM
Maybe you're dehydrated and your skin soaking in a lot of the water? Like a sponge.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:35 PM
Are the mirrors steamed up after you leave?
How big is your bathroom?
Is door opened?
if not Have you tried leaving door opened?

I can't say I've notice sweating per se, but have certainly felt somewhat winded after a good shower. I feel it has more to do with the breathing in of warm moist air - although the high temperature as well.

If you haven't been for a checkup in a while - I'd make an appointment and make sure you mention this. Even if you have been - might want to see a doctor anyway - as it appears that is somewhat abnormal.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKindWorld View Post
I have always taken relatively hot showers, so I do feel hot upon exiting the shower. However, as I said, I've reduced the temperature during a few showers when this started becoming an issue for me.. to the point where I was rather cold upon exiting, but I still had crazy sweat afterwards.
Do you start with a very hot shower and then reduce the temperature towards the end? If so, what happens if you leave the temperature lukewarm the whole time?
Old 06-16-2014, 11:42 PM
Sponge idea is interesting... and a good idea to watch fluid intake anyways. Yep, mirrors are fogged, my bathroom is not large at all. I want to say I've left the door open on some of these occasions... but I can't recall, will have to try that.

Also, update:
The sweat has just now finally slowed to a crawl.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:44 PM
And yep, started hot and let it go pretty damn cold gradually towards the end. Haven't taken a luke-warm shower all the way through, at least not in recent history.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Quote:
And yep, started hot and let it go pretty damn cold gradually towards the end. Haven't taken a luke-warm shower all the way through, at least not in recent history.
When I exercise I sweat a lot, and for a while after my shower. I found that taking a lukewarm shower helps the sweating stop soonest. A cold shower doesn't help as much as you think it might. I think it's because the cold triggers my body to create heat or something. But lukewarm is cool enough to take away the heat but not so cold that it triggers my body to generate heat to fight the cold. (IMHO)
Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 PM
This a good one for House. I have never been a sweater but do experience after shower B.O. but it lasts only a few minutes. Do you live in a very dry climate? Maybe your body has acclimated to dry and over compensates when exposed to a high humidity.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:01 AM
Good point filmore, will have to try a lukewarm shower next time and see what happens. And it has actually been just the opposite of dry this summer here, though humidity levels may very well be a factor.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:58 AM
BANNED
Take a shower at a friend's house and see if it happens there. Just a rinse shower. If it doesn't, then it might be an allergy. Is there a lot of mold in your shower?
Old 06-17-2014, 03:05 AM
I'll have to try that as well, though I doubt it's allergy related. And nope... not unless it's hiding somewhere.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:14 AM
Do you feel unwell as you sweat?
Old 06-17-2014, 03:41 AM
BANNED
I have this same issue when quickly drinking a cup of room temp water or non-alcoholic drink.

I just start sweating profusely.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:25 AM
I have this happen on occasion. Seems to happen mostly when it's hot and muggy outside. I live in Florida, so at times the humidity in the air is very high. If I take a shooter in the afternoon with the temps up near 90 and if the humidity is very high I'll sweat like hell right after a shower.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Nope sandra, feel perfectly fine... just a bit annoyed at the waterfall seemingly flowing out of my back =P

That's interesting grude, also only on your back? Or just excessive sweat in general?

And yeah... humidity is looking rather suspect, but at the mention of grudes problem, so is internal/external body temperature.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:16 AM
When you're in the shower, do you stand with your back to the water most of the time? If so, it would be absorbing more of the heat. Maybe in the past you had better circulation and it would carry the heat away more efficiently, but now the heat is staying in your back. Have you gained weight? Perhaps more mass on your back is retaining more heat.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:25 AM
In the summer I will have a hard time getting dry and cool after a shower, to the point where I'll stand under the bedroom ceiling fan before dressing. In the winter this is not so much of a problem.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:42 AM
I think I keep the water coverage pretty evenly around my whole body... but I am a smoker, so the circulation theory could hold water (like my back! badum-tsh... ok, I get it, I'm not funny)... Haven't gained weight though... been somewhat of a stick figure throughout my life.

Sadly, getting cooled down in no way stops my sweat. After my shower last night I stood in front of the A/C for about a half hour, freezing my ass off, and in no way slowing down the sweat.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:29 AM
I read the thread title as "Profuse swearing after showering."
Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 AM
I have the same problem only it's my forehead that sweats. Happens no matter how warm or cold the water is (well, I've never tried ice-cold).
Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Now that would be an interesting problem.

Edit: @Flywheel

Last edited by HelloKindWorld; 06-17-2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Ambiguity
Old 06-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Huh... we get a few more people in here, we might have a full profusely sweating body in here!

Notice anything that helps stop it aside from just waiting in your experience?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Nope. I've tried standing in front of fans, lying under fans, sticking my head in the freezer... it just sort of goes away on its own after 20 minutes, no more, no less.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Haven't taken a bath in a long time, so I'm not sure on that one. I've gradually lowered the water temperature a few times before getting out of the shower, and it seems to not make a difference. For exercise, haven't really gotten that much in for some time now, so can't say. And no, never even thought of doing that... I'll have to search around here for a thermometer.
Try lowering the temperature as low as you can go without it being shockingly cold. It should be cooler than lukewarm though.

Stand under it for 5 minutes or so, moving around to make sure you run it over your entire body and limbs.

The reason I bring this up is that I can easily induce the same issue by taking a hot shower in our tiny shower/toilet room. My guess is that the water is probably in the 120 degree range, and the temp in the little steamy room is probably pushing 95-100. If I stand in that for a while, I start sweating, but since I'm in the shower, I don't notice. When I get out and dry off and go into another room, I'm still sweating for a while until I cool off- there's only so much you can do to cool off.

However, if the last 5 minutes of the shower are cool/cold, I can drop my body temp enough to where I'm not sweating when I get out, or not much and the problem is avoided.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Quote:
The thought of allergies had occurred to me.. but it doesn't seem to make sense, seeing that it's only my back with this problem. I have always taken relatively hot showers, so I do feel hot upon exiting the shower. However, as I said, I've reduced the temperature during a few showers when this started becoming an issue for me.. to the point where I was rather cold upon exiting, but I still had crazy sweat afterwards.
Maybe your air conditioner isn't defeating the humidity in your home, causing the sweat. Get a PM done.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Charter Member
I've had that issue too, though not all the time. I'll take a shower, then start shaving while sweat pours down my chest, back and legs.

But I think it's the humidity in the bathroom after a hot shower that is causing condensation to form on my skin. After a hot shower in a small room, the air will be warm and extremely humid, and will cause water to condense on any cooler surface - including you (especially if you just got out of a cold shower).

Try leaving the door to the bathroom open, if you can, and maybe try running a fan to circulate the air out and lower the humidity of the room.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:06 PM
It's the humidity in the air. I have this problem too, but if I'm home alone and can leave the bathroom door open so the steam doesn't build up, it doesn't happen.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:13 PM
It seems that humidity is taking the blame for this one in general, so I'll call "case solved" for now, providing that this is evidenced by my next shower.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Sounds to me (not an expert, I just read a lot) that you have hyperhidrosis. Primary type on your back only.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
I read the thread title as "Profuse swearing after showering."
That can be a real bastard of a problem.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 AM
Happens to me as well, though not quite to the degree as the OP. I am certain, at least in my case, that humidity is the culprit.

And I know how annoying it is. You're fresh and clean and suddenly you have nasty sweat running down your back. I've lain on the bed nekkid under the ceiling fan after showers.

mmm
Old 03-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Me too!!!!!

Quote:
Hey guys. As you may have guessed from the title that you just clicked on, I experience excessive sweat after showering. Specifically, on my back... a bit under the armpits sometimes, but not as often or nearly as severely. I've tried a bunch of stuff to stop the sweating (i.e. standing in front of an ac, pat-drying, lowering shower temp... etc.), but usually just have to wait it out. I'm currently 1 hour and 40 minutes and two completely soaked-through towels after my most recent shower, and there's no sign of the sweat letting up yet.

So, if anyone here could provide me with some insight as to what causes this, or provide any possible solutions, that would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

-----i get this too and really really bad today, only on my back ! And slighty armpits,.

I don't know what it is but I actually just registered to reply to this because I couldn't believe someone else had it, I also sweat horrendously overnight, I'm 23 female and not overweight at all although I maybe don't eat the best of foods, I have just as a bath and come out and I cannot for the life of me get it to stop sweating!!! I know this post was a long time ago but please reply! I don't know where your post is from but I'm posting from the uk! Thanks! Sophie
Old 03-07-2017, 01:01 PM
It seems that there are a good many causes of night sweats.

Quote:
Some of the known conditions that can cause night sweats are:

Menopause. The hot flashes that accompany menopause can occur at night and cause sweating. This is a very common cause of night sweats in women.

Idiopathic hyperhidrosis. Idiopathic hyperhidrosis is a condition in which the body chronically produces too much sweat without any identifiable medical cause.

Infections. Tuberculosis is the infection most commonly associated with night sweats. But bacterial infections, such as endocarditis (inflammation of the heart valves), osteomyelitis (inflammation in the bones), and abscesses can cause night sweats. Night sweats are also a symptom of HIV infection.

Cancers. Night sweats are an early symptom of some cancers. The most common type of cancer associated with night sweats is lymphoma. However, people who have an undiagnosed cancer frequently have other symptoms as well, such as unexplained weight loss and fevers.

Medications . Taking certain medications can lead to night sweats. Antidepressant medications are a common type of drug that can lead to night sweats. From 8% to 22% of people taking antidepressant drugs have night sweats. Other psychiatric drugs have also been associated with night sweats. Medicines taken to lower fever, such as aspirin and acetaminophen, can sometimes lead to sweating. Many other drugs can cause night sweats or flushing.

Hypoglycemia. Low blood sugar can cause sweating. People who are taking insulin or oral diabetes medications may have hypoglycemia at night that is accompanied by sweating.

Hormone disorders. Sweating or flushing can be seen with several hormone disorders, including pheochromocytoma, carcinoid syndrome, and hyperthyroidism.

Neurologic conditions. Uncommonly, neurologic conditions including autonomic dysreflexia, posttraumatic syringomyelia, stroke, and autonomic neuropathy may cause increased sweating and may lead to night sweats.
http://webmd.com/menopause/guide...f-night-sweats
Old 03-07-2017, 01:06 PM
One thing I thought of for this thread is if something about the shower is reacting with the pores on your skin to clog them and your body is trying to sweat out. One experiment I thought would be interesting would be to scrub *one half* of your back with a luffa and simple, neutral soap to exfoliate your skin and unclog pores. Only do half your back so you can see if it sweats more or less than the untreated half to know if it's actually working.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Whats the ambient temperature and humidity in your town?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
I've had that issue too, though not all the time. I'll take a shower, then start shaving while sweat pours down my chest, back and legs.

But I think it's the humidity in the bathroom after a hot shower that is causing condensation to form on my skin. After a hot shower in a small room, the air will be warm and extremely humid, and will cause water to condense on any cooler surface - including you (especially if you just got out of a cold shower).

Try leaving the door to the bathroom open, if you can, and maybe try running a fan to circulate the air out and lower the humidity of the room.
Leaving the door open mostly solved my problem here as well.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Using the Sauna, I was told that it was important to do a quick spray of warm water over the soles of your feet at the very end of the shower. Reason given: there are warmth receptors on the sole of your feet. If you just pour hot water over your Body, your Body thinks you are overheating, and starts sweating to cool you down, which continues after you turn the shower off (also why a cold shower in summer is not as refreshing as a lukewarm: the latter just rinses off the sweat and cools with Evaporation, the former messes again with your body's Thermostat).

If you pour warm (not hot) water over the receptors, you trick your Body into accepting that you are warm, not hot, and no Change in metabolism = sweating is necessary.

I don't have medical evidence or cites for this, just that it works for me.