Old 06-01-2001, 07:15 PM
I'm trying to compile a list of 20th century baseball teams that went wire to wire: that is, they were in first place every day of the season. Thus far, my list comprises:[list=1][*]1927 New York Yankees[*]1984 Detroit Tigers[*]1990 Cincinnati Reds[*]1997 Baltimore Orioles[/list=1]I'm pretty sure there were two other wire to wire teams in the 1990s: The 1993 Philadelphia Phillies and the 1998 New York Yankees. This year, the Seattle Mariners appear to be the first team of the 21st century to join this impressive club.

Did the '93 Phils and the '98 Yanks go wire to wire? I can't find any info about those teams. My original question was which teams did go wire to wire, but I was able to find out that the four above in my list did accomplish that.

I asked and Cecil answered me.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:28 PM
The 1998 Yankees definitely did not go wire to wire. They lost their first two games of the season in Anaheim, 4-1 and 10-2. I would imagine that somebody in the AL East went at least 1-1 in that span.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:31 PM
D'oh! I forgot about that. I remember ragging my boss, a Yankee fan, that the 0-2 start was the beginning of something wonderful. Little did I know...

So, how about my '93 Phils?
Old 06-01-2001, 07:36 PM
http://inq.philly.com/content/inquir...ts/PHILS01.htm

Quote:
How the 1995 Phillies collapsed means no more or less than how the 1993 Phillies went wire-to-wire in first place on their way to the World Series.
Still looking on the Yanks.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:39 PM
Groovy! Thanks black455!

I guess this thread can either be closed, or moved to IMHO where it can be debated on if the Mariners will continue to rule the AL West as they've been doing.

I asked and Cecil answered me.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:41 PM
Maybe a mod can fix my code when s/he comes along to close this thread, too.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:41 PM
Ok... I'll stop looking for the Yanks.