Old 07-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Lumosity

Anyone else still playing Lumocity?

I joined a few months ago and have been playing pretty steadily almost every day for approximately 15 minutes a session.

Although I think the brain-training claims are absolute baloney, I find the games themselves somewhat addicting, especially as I am able to track the trends of my scores as they increase over time, even though I know that the only thing I am getting better at are those particular games, but hey, it is a fun 15-minute per day diversion.

My current ratings are:

- Speed: 97th percentile
- Memory: 84.4th percentile
- Attention: 93.6th percentile
- Flexibility: 98.6th percentile
- Problem solving: 80.1st percentile

Last edited by Ellen Cherry; 07-23-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:05 PM
I guess it'd be good if I spelled the name of the game correctly. It is: Lumosity, not Lumocity.

[Fixed Ellen]

Last edited by Ellen Cherry; 07-23-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Not a very valid data point, but I listen to the podcast "Stuff You Missed in History Class," and a 5 minute Lumosity commercial is given by the podcast presenters in the middle of the episode. It sucks because it's so jarring. One minute I'm learning about some weird old aristocrat with an interesting story etc., and the next I'm hearing about how my brain is slowly submitting to entropy. Is there a term for when advertising has the effect of making you want to avoid the product?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm a member and I've been doing the training program for 9 months or so now.
I'm skeptical for a whole lot of reasons.

My scores are good but not great, especially when it comes to speed - this may be because I've never played any video games other than card games and the Lumosity games. And my scores are steadily improving but I don't know that it means anything except that I'm getting better at their games.

There is very little information on their website about what the games actually accomplish from a neuroscience point of view and what little info they have is dumbed down.

My biggest complaint is that there is NO user forum and no user feedback on their website. This leads me to believe that they are hiding something and that they don't really want their users interacting and comparing notes. There are some highly suspect "user tips" for some of the games ...suspect because there is no way to actually submit a tip so I don't know where they get them.

I find that the scoring on a lot of games is too heavily weighted to favor speed over accuracy so that I don't feel my best scores reflect my best played games -- they are usually on games where I had lots of errors but blew through it fast.

And I've completely aced that game where you wait on customers and remember their names -- it's been 3 months since I had anything less than a perfect score on the top level. It would be annoying if I cared about the Lumosity "points" as you only get bonus points when you beat a score, not when you tie it.

I do find the games to be an enjoyable diversion, though -- that's really why I do it.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 07-22-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post

And I've completely aced that game where you wait on customers and remember their names -- it's been 3 months since I had anything less than a perfect score on the top level.
I am not great with that game, primarily because I am not great with matching faces to names and remembering them. The only names I tend to get right all the time are Jennifer, because she looks like a nurse to me, and Charles, because he looks like a dirtbag.

My favorite game is Word Bubbles Rising. My high score is 10,720. If I had the time, I think I could play that one for hours.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
I am not great with that game, primarily because I am not great with matching faces to names and remembering them. The only names I tend to get right all the time are Jennifer, because she looks like a nurse to me, and Charles, because he looks like a dirtbag.

My favorite game is Word Bubbles Rising. My high score is 10,720. If I had the time, I think I could play that one for hours.
Oh, me too. I just hit a new high of 11,170......of course my high numbers happen when I luck out with letter sets they give you....my average is probably about 9000.

I always think I could do better if I was a better typist and I have spelling difficulties with longer works in that time frame.

The Familiar Faces game was one of those times when I thought maybe there was something to their "science". I struggled with the lower levels for forever, they one day something clicked and it suddenly became easy ... I advanced from level 4 to the top level (8) in about 3 days. The really cool thing was it wasn't a challenge at all to remember anyone I "met" while playing the upper levels but I still struggled for a while with some of the people introduced in the lower levels.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:30 AM
I just topped my high score in Word Bubbles Rising!

Continually bettering my high scores is one of my main motivations to still play, although I can feel that I am getting close to the highest I can achieve in many games, such as the migration game with the 5 birds. I still get scores in the top five in that one, but I haven't beaten my top score in weeks.

Last edited by Onomatopoeia; 07-23-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:04 PM
As of today, my rankings are as follows:

- Speed: 97.7th percentile
- Memory: 90.8th percentile
- Attention: 93.6th percentile
- Flexibility: 99.1st percentile
- Problem solving: 81.7th percentile

I improved in all categories except Attention, which stayed the same. I also achieved my highest score to date in Word Bubbles: 11275.

Yeah, I'm bragging. Ya wanna make somethin' out of it?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:10 AM
For the first time today, I made it to 11875 in Word Bubbles, and noticed something strange/funny.

Those of you who play Word Bubbles know that your ship starts at the bottom of the ocean and for each word you create from the prefix you're given your ship rises a little. The more words you create, the higher your ship rises. With a high enough score, your ship rises up out of the ocean and into the air eventually overtaking a hot air balloon. However, did you know that you can reach space? I didn't, until today. At around 11500 my ship was surrounded by stars, and by 11800 I saw astronauts floating in spacesuits. Here's where the strange/funny part comes in.

At 11850 I saw the moon, but not just the moon. There were words in space following the curvature of the moon. The best I could make out of the words before the scoreboard appeared, closing out my game and obscuring the words was "Look at this cat." Can anyone confirm this message?

Kind of freaked me out that (a) my ship had made it into space, (b) there were words following the curvature of the moon, and (c) that is was a message. It did make me laugh, though.

Last edited by Onomatopoeia; 08-03-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:34 AM
That looks really interesting. How much does it cost to join?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
That looks really interesting. How much does it cost to join?
There are different plans based on length of membership. I am paying $79.95 for a yearly subscription, which works out to $6.66 per month.

There is a two-year membership for $122.62, which would work out to $5.10 per month.

There is also a lifetime membership for $241.31

If I were you, I would check out a free membership first and then, if you decide you like it, go for a paid membership. The free membership limits the number of games you can play, and I believe there are other limitations, but it is free, and anyway you may not like it and it would be better to find that out before locking into a paid membership.

Last edited by Onomatopoeia; 08-03-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 PM
I did the free stuff. It's way too much money just to play games.
Playing games does keep your mind sharp, as you age, but that's pretty much any game, as long as it makes you think a bit and pay attention.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:59 PM
When they changed their metric (was it BPI??) my percentile dropped about 10 percent in each category.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
When they changed their metric (was it BPI??) my percentile dropped about 10 percent in each category.
Yeah, now it is LPI. Mine dropped as well, substantively, but I have since made up for the loss, and then some.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Quote:
For the first time today, I made it to 11875 in Word Bubbles, and noticed something strange/funny.

Those of you who play Word Bubbles know that your ship starts at the bottom of the ocean and for each word you create from the prefix you're given your ship rises a little. The more words you create, the higher your ship rises. With a high enough score, your ship rises up out of the ocean and into the air eventually overtaking a hot air balloon. However, did you know that you can reach space? I didn't, until today. At around 11500 my ship was surrounded by stars, and by 11800 I saw astronauts floating in spacesuits. Here's where the strange/funny part comes in.

At 11850 I saw the moon, but not just the moon. There were words in space following the curvature of the moon. The best I could make out of the words before the scoreboard appeared, closing out my game and obscuring the words was "Look at this cat." Can anyone confirm this message?

Kind of freaked me out that (a) my ship had made it into space, (b) there were words following the curvature of the moon, and (c) that is was a message. It did make me laugh, though.
I just hit 11930. WooHoo

Honestly, I play with sound off and I never paid any attention to the background until you pointed it out. I did notice since that I leave the ocean, go through cloud layer with blimps and very occasionally hit outer space.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:12 AM
I reached 11895 yesterday and tried numerous times to surpass it, but could not. I fear I may have reached my peak in Word Bubbles. .

Congratulations on reaching 11930! I don't know if I am quick enough to reach your score, but I will continue to try.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 AM
This morning...

[Round 3]
...predicate
predicates
premium
premiums
premonition
premonitions
preposition
prepositions
preposterous
predate
predates
predator
predators
Predatory
preen
preens
preened
prep
preps
prepare
prepares
preparing
prepared
preparer
preparers
presuppose
presupposes
pretty
prettier
prettiest
press
pressed
presser
presses
pressing
pressure
pressures
pressured
prey
preys
preyed
preying
prove
proves
proverb
proverbs
proverbial
probe
probes
probed
probing
probate
probation
probationary
prop
props
proper
properly
propose
proposes
proposed
proposal
proposals
propane
propanes
pry
pries
pried
print
prints
printer
printers
printing
prince
princes
princely
pray
prays
prayed
prayer
prayers
praying
[Time]
"CRAP!"

"Sheesh."

Last edited by Onomatopoeia; 08-07-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:47 AM
I listed the words in my previous post in the incorrect order as my third round was: 'prep-pre-pr' but you get the idea. 82 words but not enough to beat my high score. It didn't help that I only got 1130 in the first round, but how much could I have done with 'zi'?

Last edited by Onomatopoeia; 08-07-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Quote:
If I were you, I would check out a free membership first and then, if you decide you like it, go for a paid membership. The free membership limits the number of games you can play, and I believe there are other limitations, but it is free, and anyway you may not like it and it would be better to find that out before locking into a paid membership.
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:16 PM
12005 in Word Bubbles! Waaaaahooooooooooo!!!! Broke 12000! Finally!

Still didn't completely catch the message circling the moon. "something something dis cat," I think.

Last edited by Onomatopoeia; 08-14-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:09 PM
I use it everyday, but I hate the fucking thing. It points out two things, indisputably: my short term memory is shot and I would make a lousy pool player.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Quote:
12005 in Word Bubbles! Waaaaahooooooooooo!!!! Broke 12000! Finally!

Still didn't completely catch the message circling the moon. "something something dis cat," I think.
good for you !

My spelling and typing just isn't that good. And - damn you -- now I'm paying attention to the backgrounds and I'm not good with divided attention,

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 08-15-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Quote:
good for you !

My spelling and typing just isn't that good. And - damn you -- now I'm paying attention to the backgrounds and I'm not good with divided attention,
Heh. I stopped paying attention to the background until I am in outer space. The dirigibles don't interest me. I want to see stars!
Old 08-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koeeoaddi View Post
I use it everyday, but I hate the fucking thing. It points out two things, indisputably: my short term memory is shot and I would make a lousy pool player.
Yeah, Pinball Recall is tougher than it looks.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:49 PM
New high score for me in Word Bubbles! 12,225!!

Read it and weep! Of course it took me 13 days to beat my previous high score, but I did it and, for the first time, I flew above the moon and saw comets (or meteors, but I think they were comets).

I think I should put this game aside for a while; I have become ridiculously obsessed.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Quote:
New high score for me in Word Bubbles! 12,225!!

Read it and weep! Of course it took me 13 days to beat my previous high score, but I did it and, for the first time, I flew above the moon and saw comets (or meteors, but I think they were comets).

I think I should put this game aside for a while; I have become ridiculously obsessed.
I just got 12390 in Word Bubbles..........new laptop is helping, the keypad spacing is better so my typing isn't so fumbly ( and I know that fumbly isn't a real word ). It's around 400 points above my previous high score.

Still I was impressed at your 80 words in one round, I think 47 is my top. I can't type nearly that fast so for me to get a good score I have to somewhat ace all three rounds

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 08-29-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Quote:
I just got 12390 in Word Bubbles..........new laptop is helping, the keypad spacing is better so my typing isn't so fumbly ( and I know that fumbly isn't a real word ). It's around 400 points above my previous high score.

Still I was impressed at your 80 words in one round, I think 47 is my top. I can't type nearly that fast so for me to get a good score I have to somewhat ace all three rounds
12,390 eh? Well thanks a lot for helping to worsen my obsession. How the heck did you do that?

Seriously, congratulations.

Round 1 is usually my worst; I sometimes only get 15 words. I typically make up for it in round 3 when I average 60 words. Yeah, my fingers are flying over the keyboard, but I tend to panic a little at the end and fumble a few times as the timer runs out.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Quote:
12,390 eh? Well thanks a lot for helping to worsen my obsession. How the heck did you do that?

Seriously, congratulations.

Round 1 is usually my worst; I sometimes only get 15 words. I typically make up for it in round 3 when I average 60 words. Yeah, my fingers are flying over the keyboard, but I tend to panic a little at the end and fumble a few times as the timer runs out.
Mostly I just get lucky with good letter pairs and I hit all variations of each word -- like stuff stuffs stuffed stuffing stuffer stuffers stuffy stuffier stuffiest stuffiness - those go really fast. But for me if I don't hit 3000 in each of the first two rounds I'm not in high score territory. And I make sure to get all the stars first by paying attention to the word lengths -- unless I blank out on long words which happens way too often.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Although I think the brain-training claims are absolute baloney,
Yeah, the claims they're doing anything special are complete bunk, but I do believe there could still be benefits to it. The same benefits you'd get from doing anything you have to put thought into, like crossword puzzles or whatever. Use your brain or lose it, but all that "neuroscience" crap they speak of in the commercials (and wow those people in the commercials look like easily conned idiots) is pretty ludicrous.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Going to move this to the Game Room.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Mostly I just get lucky with good letter pairs and I hit all variations of each word -- like stuff stuffs stuffed stuffing stuffer stuffers stuffy stuffier stuffiest stuffiness - those go really fast. But for me if I don't hit 3000 in each of the first two rounds I'm not in high score territory. And I make sure to get all the stars first by paying attention to the word lengths -- unless I blank out on long words which happens way too often.
I don't concern myself with getting all the stars in the first round, which almost never happens anyway, or even the second round really, although if it happens in the second round I am happy because that is almost a guarantee that I will be in high-score territory by the end of the third round.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:45 AM
Just hit a new high score in Word Bubbles

The stems were
so
ter
My top five scores are all over 12k and I'm hitting 10K on average now
Old 10-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Quote:

The stems were
so
ter
Wow! Congrats! I didn't think it was possible to achieve 13K, but you've done it, so I have no choice, obviously, than to try and best you. Game on, sister!

Let us not focus on the sad fact that I have been stuck in the mid 12000s for over a month.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:36 PM
My WBR high scores

Hi all - new to the board. Figured I'd post my high scores/tips as well.

About a year ago I found a direct link to Word Bubbles Rising http://games.lumosity.com/word_bubbles_2.html. I'm really, really proud of my high scores. The first few times I played, I averaged about 5000 points per round. Over time, I learned that you'll get more points if you use verbs that have the same root but multiple endings (and it helps if they can also be adjectives). For example, if I start with "co", I'll make co-ck, co-cks, co-cked, co-cking, co-cky, co-ckier, co-ckiest, co-ckiness, co-ckinesses. Also, "co" seems to be my highest scoring root. There's a crap ton of verbs that start with co.

Another tip is to keep the common root as long as possible when you're making words. I noticed I was scoring most of my points on the 3rd round when the root is 4 letters. I think it's easier for your brain to come up with words when you don't have to feed it as many letters. For example: For the first round, if I get "co" (again), I'll go ahead and make the root "cor" in my head because I can think of "cor" words a lot faster than I can think of "co" words.

I also type about 140 wpm, which definitely helps. And my average score is around 10,000 per round (or less if I get wonky letter roots like "ex" or "el" or basically anything that starts with a vowel). So far I haven't found anything that I couldn't get all the stars for though.

And it appears that around 12,560 ft is where the background stops.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:29 PM
So, I was wrong about when the background goes away. I've conducted a few more tests and it happens around 25,000 ft. You go into space, you pass all the planets, and then it goes to black. There does not appear to be a Pluto.

Here's roughly where you see the planets:
13,500 - Mercury
15,000 - Venus
16,500 - Earth
18,000 - Mars
19,500 - Jupiter
21,000 - Saturn
22,500 - Uranus
24,000 - Neptune
Old 10-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattawatta View Post
Hi all - new to the board. Figured I'd post my high scores/tips as well.

About a year ago I found a direct link to Word Bubbles Rising http://games.lumosity.com/word_bubbles_2.html. I'm really, really proud of my high scores. The first few times I played, I averaged about 5000 points per round. Over time, I learned that you'll get more points if you use verbs that have the same root but multiple endings (and it helps if they can also be adjectives). For example, if I start with "co", I'll make co-ck, co-cks, co-cked, co-cking, co-cky, co-ckier, co-ckiest, co-ckiness, co-ckinesses. Also, "co" seems to be my highest scoring root. There's a crap ton of verbs that start with co.

Another tip is to keep the common root as long as possible when you're making words. I noticed I was scoring most of my points on the 3rd round when the root is 4 letters. I think it's easier for your brain to come up with words when you don't have to feed it as many letters. For example: For the first round, if I get "co" (again), I'll go ahead and make the root "cor" in my head because I can think of "cor" words a lot faster than I can think of "co" words.

I also type about 140 wpm, which definitely helps. And my average score is around 10,000 per round (or less if I get wonky letter roots like "ex" or "el" or basically anything that starts with a vowel). So far I haven't found anything that I couldn't get all the stars for though.

And it appears that around 12,560 ft is where the background stops.

Color me speechless.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Quote:
So, I was wrong about when the background goes away. I've conducted a few more tests and it happens around 25,000 ft. You go into space, you pass all the planets, and then it goes to black. There does not appear to be a Pluto.

Here's roughly where you see the planets:
13,500 - Mercury
15,000 - Venus
16,500 - Earth
18,000 - Mars
19,500 - Jupiter
21,000 - Saturn
22,500 - Uranus
24,000 - Neptune
I don't really see myself getting to 18,000, much less 24000 as I simply don't type that fast, but it is something to shoot for.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 AM
Words

So, forgot to share this the other day, but easily the biggest thing that helped me get all the stars each round when I first started was this site: http://morewords.com/starts-with-by-length/wh/. (That particular link sends you to a list of words starting with "wh"). The words are organized by length, so you can see all the 3 letter words, all the 4 letter words, all the 5 letter words, and so on. If you want to see the word list for other roots, amend the end of link to the exact root you're looking for.

When I first started playing (before I could get all the stars each round), I'd go to this site at the end of each round so I could see what words I'd missed out on. Over time, I learned/remembered the words. And it's actually helped increase my vocabulary too - it's how I learned the words "bathythermograph" and "brinksmanship" for example (I found the site while playing the original Word Bubbles game where you have to get 11, 12, and 13 letter words).

Good luck!! Keep posting scores! I'd love to see someone hit 40,000!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Here's a video of me getting 31,875.

http://youtu.be/uyDlO_U_Kkg
Old 03-24-2015, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Here's a video of me getting 31,875.

http://youtu.be/uyDlO_U_Kkg
WOW!!!!!!!! Color me humbled by your greatness. Sheesh! That was amazing.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:54 AM
Quote:

The stems were
so
ter
I picked up the game again after taking about six months off...actually the game slipped my mind until I saw an ad for Lumosity a few weeks ago. Today I hit my best score in Word Bubbles Rising: 13700, passing Mercury in the process.

My high scores are typically in the 11,000 range now.

There's a new verbal fluency game in Lumosity called Word Bubbles (new). It is basically the same concept as Word Bubbles Rising but, for reasons I haven't yet determined, I seem to do much better in the new game than in Word Bubbles rising in that I get all the stars much quicker and easier. Although the scoring is different than in Word Bubbles Rising, my average score is in the 210,000 range.