Old 07-24-2014, 09:20 AM
BANNED
Safety in Rosarito Beach

I read many ppl mention its very safe there. But is it true going out at night by yourself is never a good idea? I know the American media makes Mexico sound really bad.

Most ppl seem to say its lot safer than us cities but then there are others that say its not safe and theres some things that are not mentioned in the news.

I assume if you are downtown or close to downtown, its fine?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 AM
I have not been to Rosarito Beach specifically, but I have been to Latin America. Safety is relative and it is not fair to characterize a country as absolutely "safe" or "unsafe". You need basic street smarts, the same kind you would need if you wanted to visit NYC, Chicago, Detroit, or LA.

Understand what neighborhood you are in. Does it appear middle class? Working class? Are there large numbers of apparently unemployed men hanging out on the sidewalks at 2pm?

Can you speak at least a little Spanish? Trying to speak the language goes a long way to getting people to respect you. You don't have to speak it well. If they know English well, and see you struggling with Spanish, they often will switch. If you act like an ignorant Gringo, well then you're an ignorant Gringo to look down on.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 PM
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...l-warning.html

The above is the page for the US State Department's travel advisory for Mexico. From it, for Baja California near Ensenada and TJ:
Quote:
Baja California: Tijuana, Ensenada and Mexicali are major cities/travel destinations in the state of Baja California -Exercise caution in the northern state of Baja California, particularly at night. There were 458 homicides in Tijuana from October 2012 through September 2013, compared with 324 for the same period a year earlier. Murders in Mexicali declined in the same period from 166 to 132. In the majority of these cases, the killings appeared to be targeted TCO assassinations. Turf battles between criminal groups resulted in assassinations in areas of Tijuana and Mexicali frequented by U.S. citizens.Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured, have occurred during daylight hours.
The town you mention is 10 miles or so from Ensenada, so close enough? I wouldn't wander around after dark.

Would we get better results for the OP if this were in IMHO?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:16 PM
My sister went to UC San Diego. She graduated a few years ago (3 or 4) so this is somewhat outdated but she and her friends would go to Tijuana fairly often as freshman and sophomores. They stopped going there after a few incidents and deemed it as too dangerous (had to bribe two police officers to release them after they were stopped for no reason - other option was jail, the cab drivers were being paid by the clubs and so regardless of where you told them to take you, they took you to whomever was paying that night, etc).

They started going to Rosarito instead and by the beginning of their senior year they stopped going to Mexico completely because the same types of things were happening there.

I've been to Caribbean Islands and have driven/walked throughout the entire island, at night, and never had any issue. However, these places rely on tourism and word of mouth so that may mitigate things. My strategy whenever I go to a place outside the US is just be smart. Never a good idea to walk around late at night alone. Don't flash your money or credit cards. Basically, just behave as if you were walking around a bad neighborhood in the US and you should be relatively safe.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:38 PM
BANNED
anyone else?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:45 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
It's been a few years, but I felt fairly safe around Rosarito/Ensenada. But then, I was always with a fairly large group of mixed sexes, and we never went abroad very far after dark. Mostly partied in our own enclave.

Strictly personal opinion, but these days you couldn't pay me to set foot in Mexico. Anywhere.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 AM
If there are ordinary local people out wandering around seeming to be having innocent amusement, they you can feel fairly safe among them. If the only people you see look shady, it might be a better idea for you to be somewhere else. Generally, Mexico is a pretty safe place. Being near the tropics, it gets dark early all year round, and the days can be hot and the evenings cool, so Mexicans love to be out in the evening.

I don't have any personal experience with Rosarito Beach, but everywhere I've ever been on the coast of Mexico, I felt perfectly comfortable being out and about in Mexican casual society. When everybody else goes home, you go home too.

In one town in Nayarit (Acaponeta), the zocalo was lively and bustling in the evening, and suddenly, at nine oclock, everyone picked up and went home, and the police came around and reminded stragglers that it was time to settle in for the night.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Charter Member
Well, this doesn't sound that great:
http://utsandiego.com/news/2014/...ting-rosarito/

Quote:
Family members said Wednesday that a man who died Sunday when unknown assailants sprayed gunfire on a beach-side gathering south of Rosarito Beach was Hector Gerardo Tapia, a 37-year-old construction worker from south San Diego. . . . Rosarito Beach police initially reported four people died in the incident, which took place just before 9 p.m.
Date is March 2014.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:10 AM
For comparison, Tijuana is a big dirty bustling crazy city - proceed with caution.

Rosarito is tiny. You can basically walk from one end of town to the other (it's a bit of a hike). It has been many years since I spent a lot of time there, but back then there were like 5 bars/clubs and maybe 3 restaurants. There are lot of vacation condo complexes around the area marketed to US retirees. So, it's not a stronghold of Sinaloa gangsters, if that's what you are asking. As for "safe" - YMMV, is Chicago "safe", is New York "safe"? Depends on where you go, what you do,and who you interact with...

Endenda, not as big as Tijuana, but still more of a city. That's where you would go if you needed to buy clothes, etc. It is a cruise ship port for the weekend party cruise ship trade.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Well, this doesn't sound that great:
http://utsandiego.com/news/2014/...ting-rosarito/

Date is March 2014.
See if you can find an update, that contains more details than the WAGs that were available on the day of the shooting. Until then, this is a singular anecdote that could have happened on any beach in the world.

The latest update I can find says " Authorities said all the shooting was done by a single gunman, in an apparent attempt to kill a single person." http://mexicoperspective.com/Mexico-...h-23-2014.html

Last edited by jtur88; 07-25-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Living in San Diego, where we're closer to the goings on in Baja, cheap lobster ain't worth the risk of getting shaken down (or worse) south of the border.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:32 AM
In the USA, only about 20% of all homicides involve a stranger killing a stranger. I've never seen any evidence that that statistic is significantly different in Mexico or any other country.

If you choose your destination for a vacation based on the statistical likelihood of being murdered by a stranger, I would suggest that you really, seriously, need to spend a few minutes learning something about the theory of probability and how it affects your everyday life decisions.

I've never seen any figures, but I would guess that very close to zero would be the annual number of American travelers casually passing through a tourist-accessible destination who are murdered by a stranger who had no particular reason to target them. Use common sense to stay out of the company of the potentially homicidal, most of whom frequent drugs or alcohol. and late hours..

Last edited by jtur88; 07-25-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Pauly01, this may help you decide if the area is civilized enough for you -

Rosarito
Old 07-25-2014, 05:26 PM
BANNED
Has anyone recently went there? I know many news of it that are negative are from a few years a back.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In the USA, only about 20% of all homicides involve a stranger killing a stranger. I've never seen any evidence that that statistic is significantly different in Mexico or any other country.

If you choose your destination for a vacation based on the statistical likelihood of being murdered by a stranger, I would suggest that you really, seriously, need to spend a few minutes learning something about the theory of probability and how it affects your everyday life decisions.

I've never seen any figures, but I would guess that very close to zero would be the annual number of American travelers casually passing through a tourist-accessible destination who are murdered by a stranger who had no particular reason to target them. Use common sense to stay out of the company of the potentially homicidal, most of whom frequent drugs or alcohol. and late hours..
Yeah, exactly this. Most of the murders have been related to organized crime. Other parts of the Mexican hinterland have had problems with robberies and kidnappings targeting travelers, but most of the violence in northern Baja has been all cartel related. Once you get away from the border, the rest of Baja is very safe. It's not exactly encouraging to be in a place where there's a full-blown drug war going on, but your actual chances of getting swept up in it are pretty slim if you exercise some very basic caution. This article makes the point that if you compare the number of Americans who have been murdered in Mexico to the number who visit, your chances of getting murdered are actually much lower in Mexico than at home!

I wouldn't want to hang around TJ any longer than necessary, especially at night, but the more touristy areas (which I think Rosarito is) are generally fine, even if it is only 10 miles down the road.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 PM
BANNED
Saw this posted on another forum.

I live in Rosarito and I wouldn't exactly call it safe. There has been a sharp rise in murders and shootings in broad daylight, and those who live in gated and closed communities are blind to such events. The former mayor Hugo Torres recently admitted in a public event that Rosarito is seeing a spike in crime and murders that rival the peak times of the Narco battles. Don't take my word for it or the US Press. Go read the local Mexican Press El Mexicano and the Frontera and use Google Translate if you don't know Spanish. You can see for yourself just how "safe" it is here. Warning though: The local press does not sugar coat the news and can be graphic, so you've been warned.

This month a lifeguard was shot to death on the beach by a surfer and a man and woman riding in a taxi were shot to death at a stop sign.......both incidents were in broad daylight........

I read about the lifeguard and he had received threats from some guy earlier. But the man and woman riding in taxi, does anyone have a link to this story? And where was this and were those ppl innocent ppl or innocent tourists?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Anecdata, and happened in TJ, not Rosario, but see this 2010 account: http://surfermag.com/features/carjackedmexicobaja/

Yes, it's Frre Republic, and I'd link to the original SD news story if it were extant, but this surf instructor's ordeal is another piece of anecdata, from 2007. Http://freerepublic.com/focus/ne.../posts?page=93
Should the link not work, google Pat Weber, robbery, Baja, and you should find the story.

The common thing is that the victims here had been going to Baja for years, spoke Spanish, knew locals, knew how to blend in, and it still didn't save them. I personally see so many new Mexicans here from NL, Tamaulipas, and Chihuahua, that I've started calling Houston, "Nuevo Monterrey." Not Baja, but all of these people aren't involved in OG.

OP, you'll probably be just fine. Crime is still a rarity, even in a bad area. For me the reward isn't there for the risk.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:28 PM
FWIW, my buddies and I were robbed by Federales while camping on a private beach outside of Rosarita where we had paid the owner for permission to stay the night. They took everything except our van and the clothes we were wearing. Surfboards, camping gear, phones, everything... all gone. They told us if we squawked, we'd be arrested for drug possession (the main guy pulled a baggie of white powder from his pocket to show us what would be "found" in our possession). Granted, we were outside of town in an isolated area and basically easy targets.

So, yeah, statistically you're not going to be murdered, but there are other types of unpleasantness I'm sure you'd rather avoid. Getting robbed is never any fun; getting robbed by the police, even worse. The sense of helplessness is pretty overpowering, in my experience.

The main thing I would ask is how much/often are you going to be at the mercy of someone who might see you as easy prey. If you're staying in a decent hotel and are able to avoid using taxis, and keep your wits about you, then you'll probably be fine. OTOH, if you get smashed and try to stumble back to the hotel on your own late at night.... not such a good idea.

So that's how I'd look at it... are you going to be an easy target or not?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Anecdata, and happened in TJ, not Rosario, but see this 2010 account: http://surfermag.com/features/carjackedmexicobaja/

Yes, it's Frre Republic, and I'd link to the original SD news story if it were extant, but this surf instructor's ordeal is another piece of anecdata, from 2007. Http://freerepublic.com/focus/ne.../posts?page=93
Should the link not work, google Pat Weber, robbery, Baja, and you should find the story.

The common thing is that the victims here had been going to Baja for years, spoke Spanish, knew locals, knew how to blend in, and it still didn't save them. I personally see so many new Mexicans here from NL, Tamaulipas, and Chihuahua, that I've started calling Houston, "Nuevo Monterrey." Not Baja, but all of these people aren't involved in OG.

OP, you'll probably be just fine. Crime is still a rarity, even in a bad area. For me the reward isn't there for the risk.

The surfer story was actually 2013 or 2014 not 2007.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
FWIW, my buddies and I were robbed by Federales while camping on a private beach outside of Rosarita where we had paid the owner for permission to stay the night. They took everything except our van and the clothes we were wearing. Surfboards, camping gear, phones, everything... all gone. They told us if we squawked, we'd be arrested for drug possession (the main guy pulled a baggie of white powder from his pocket to show us what would be "found" in our possession). Granted, we were outside of town in an isolated area and basically easy targets.

So, yeah, statistically you're not going to be murdered, but there are other types of unpleasantness I'm sure you'd rather avoid. Getting robbed is never any fun; getting robbed by the police, even worse. The sense of helplessness is pretty overpowering, in my experience.

The main thing I would ask is how much/often are you going to be at the mercy of someone who might see you as easy prey. If you're staying in a decent hotel and are able to avoid using taxis, and keep your wits about you, then you'll probably be fine. OTOH, if you get smashed and try to stumble back to the hotel on your own late at night.... not such a good idea.

Im not going to stay at a hotel, will be staying at a condo but i know it has security there and was planning to for few months.

Well i have to take taxi around b/c i know walmart is driving distance. But im worried about cabs as well because im worried these are the bad cabs if you know what i mean.

I definitely will stand out 100 percent which is another reason why im worried about heading there.

How far was your location from rosarito beach hotel by the way?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:18 PM
I spent a week there in June. Lovely visit. My wife's sister and her husband live 5 or 10 minutes south of Rosarito, in a gated community on the coast. Nice homes, mostly owned by or rented to middle-class Americans (many blue-collar), great sandy beaches, nice surf, and decent food is pretty inexpensive. A guard tends the gate. We went out once or twice in the evening but never late, and didn't walk around in Rosarito late at night, though that may have been more coincidence and that we preferred our own Margaritas and music to the nightspots.

During the day, I didn't feel at all threatened. It seemed safer than many places I've been in Detroit.

Safety wasn't a big concern, assuming you didn't do anything foolish. We weren't pushing the boundaries. We talked to a number of folks who lived there and safety wasn't a subject of conversation.

I live in Durham, NC. Folks I live with who work in other nearby cities talk about how dangerous Durham is. It does happen to have the biggest ethnic community. However, as it turns out, Raleigh had a bigger violent crime incidence, last I checked (a year or two ago). IIRC, it switches back and forth between the two. Yet nobody ever talks about dodging bullets in Raleigh.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:43 PM
BANNED
anyone else?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:45 AM
BANNED
http://drugwarchroniclesbajacaliforn...-rosarito.html

I was told most of the bad things in mexico are in tijuana and its all the way on the east side and not west side. Aren't all these things that happened this year in these articles in rosarito though?

If not, why does it say rosarito. Because one story mention about innocent cab drives and innocent people and this doesn't seem to be drug related.

Can someone with knowledge on this tell me?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:03 PM
BANNED
Anyone else?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post

Same thing happened to my friends and I. I never went south of the border again. And never will. Other friends were just driving in the same area and were pulled over by the Feds. The friends were robbed of pretty much everything. You don't have to worry about criminals so much, its the police you need to be afraid of.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:46 PM
Safety Update Rosarito Beach Mexico

For those of you who are thinking of visiting Rosarito or investing here you may wish to familiarize yourself with some of the local news. There is a facebook group where the news from the local papers is translated form spanish to English and open and uncensored discussion takes place. The group is on facebook and is called Rosarito Beach Uncensored. https://facebook.com/groups/1615916208631106/

You may also wish to read and take seriuosly the Crime and Safety Report
https://osac.gov/pages/contentreports.aspx?cid=2

Finally for the greater Baja area there is another facebook group called Baja y Mas

https://facebook.com/groups/BajaYMas/

There are many many sites that promote Baja. The sites above can provide the other side of the story directly translated from the local spanish speaking papers.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly01 View Post
I read many ppl mention its very safe there. But is it true going out at night by yourself is never a good idea? I know the American media makes Mexico sound really bad.

Most ppl seem to say its lot safer than us cities but then there are others that say its not safe and theres some things that are not mentioned in the news.

I assume if you are downtown or close to downtown, its fine?

For those of you who are thinking of visiting Rosarito or investing here you may wish to familiarize yourself with some of the local news. There is a facebook group where the news from the local papers is translated form spanish to English and open and uncensored discussion takes place. The group is on facebook and is called Rosarito Beach Uncensored. https://facebook.com/groups/1615916208631106/

You may also wish to read and take seriously the Crime and Safety Report
https://osac.gov/pages/contentreports.aspx?cid=2

Finally for the greater Baja area there is another facebook group called Baja y Mas

https://facebook.com/groups/BajaYMas/

There are many many sites that promote Baja. The sites above can provide the other side of the story directly translated from the local spanish speaking papers.