Old 08-06-2014, 05:48 PM
What exactly constitutes a "square" of baker's chocolate?

Yes, I know the difference between a square and a rectangle. But I'm not quite sure what a "square" of baker's chocolate is. See this picture. Is a square the two rectangles together, or a single rectangle?
Old 08-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Charter Member
That's one square. It's in sections like that so you can easily break it into two half squares.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:55 PM
One square which is equivalent to 1 oz. I verified this many times when I was younger because I had the same question as you.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
One square which is equivalent to 1 oz. I verified this many times when I was younger because I had the same question as you.
Baker here confirming this.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Chicago Savant
The half-squares are a pretty recent innovation that has messed up a lot of handed-down recipes. A square had been a square since the Truman Administration, if not before.

Still, it's better than one of my recipes, written out by an aunt in the 1960s, that calls for a "39-cent" container of Cool Whip.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:02 AM
Then there's the question of what constitutes "one graham cracker" -- the large rectangle? One of the two squares it breaks into? One of the two rectangles that the squares break into?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off