Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2015, 04:26 PM
The Magic Square trick is simple mathematics. You do have to know the person's number, though. Allison can be seen glancing at Penn's number as she is tearing up his paper.

Here is a link showing how the grid is filled in once the number is known.

mmm
Advertisements
Old 07-29-2015, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
The Magic Square trick is simple mathematics. You do have to know the person's number, though. Allison can be seen glancing at Penn's number as she is tearing up his paper.
Wow, I knew it was a math trick, but that's a whole lot simple than I guessed. Makes sense, though. Only have to adjust 4 numbers by a simple algorithm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHYPO View Post
Wow, I had no idea. That's just shameful to take your whole bit from someone else. I'm disappointed because I thought his grappler bit was pretty amusing.
Totally agree.

Quote:
As for the other half, the image-copying has been done for a long time (In a Uri Gellar debunking video posted elsewhere on this thread, it shows part of him doing the trick. In both cases, while the subject matter is duplicated (a flower), it's not a carbon copy of the original - so it's as if someone is signalling to them what the image is of, verbally ("a flower") and they are drawing based off that suggestion... hard to say though. If it's Uri Gellar old, I'm sure it's been revealed already.
There are a variety of ways to do it, I'm just not sure which she used. She could have glimpsed a flower and not been able to reproduce exactly.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randwill View Post
My problem with Handsome Jack was that he borrowed a bit too much from Harry Anderson. https://youtube.com/watch?v=oTZJbwBjMo8
Since making this post, I have read on a magic website that the Grappler prop Handsome Jack used was once Harry Anderson's. This raises the possibility that Handsome Jack bought the prop and the rights to this presentation. I don't know, but in fairness I thought I'd mention it.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Wow, I knew it was a math trick, but that's a whole lot simple than I guessed. Makes sense, though. Only have to adjust 4 numbers by a simple algorithm.
Indeed. It becomes more and more obvious though, the higher the chosen number. Those four variable blocks would be so much higher than the others that it would be glaring if a number in the 80's or 90's is chosen. Even though it's more limiting, it may be a better idea to have them pick from 25-50. I have to wonder if Penn (already knowing the concept) deliberately chose 26 to make it a better effect for TV.

Also, are we all in agreement that none of us have the slightest idea how the plunger trick works? Specifically the part where Penn chooses a number 15 and with no deck manipulation, the plunger pulls off exactly 15 cards? X-shaped grooves and blowing on the cards do not begin to explain how that is possible. (Unless he totally lucked out and had alternate plans for a number other than 15).
Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 AM
You can buy the Tiny Plunger trick online. According to the instructions, the secret lies in the fact that you have to make tiny grooves in the top of a single card. In magic parlance, this card is called a 'breather.' Physics - and the ability to maneuver the breather card to wherever you want it in the deck - apparently does the rest. The plunger is a non-gimmick item.

It sounds like less of a magic trick and more of a science demonstration.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephe96 View Post
You can buy the Tiny Plunger trick online. According to the instructions, the secret lies in the fact that you have to make tiny grooves in the top of a single card. In magic parlance, this card is called a 'breather.' Physics - and the ability to maneuver the breather card to wherever you want it in the deck - apparently does the rest. The plunger is a non-gimmick item.

That makes perfect sense for most of the routine. He did sleight of hand to get the 'breather' into position and the plunger does the rest, pulling all cards above it. But unless I'm missing something (I don't have the episode on DVR anymore), wasn't there a bit where the deck was flat on the table, and he asked Penn to pick any number of cards (he named 15 if I recall). And then without touching the deck, the plunger pulled off exactly 15 cards. If Penn named 15, and then the magician had an opportunity to sleight the breather into the 16th position, it would make sense, but I didn't think he touched the deck. Am I mis-remembering?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Tightlips View Post
That makes perfect sense for most of the routine. He did sleight of hand to get the 'breather' into position and the plunger does the rest, pulling all cards above it. But unless I'm missing something (I don't have the episode on DVR anymore), wasn't there a bit where the deck was flat on the table, and he asked Penn to pick any number of cards (he named 15 if I recall). And then without touching the deck, the plunger pulled off exactly 15 cards. If Penn named 15, and then the magician had an opportunity to sleight the breather into the 16th position, it would make sense, but I didn't think he touched the deck. Am I mis-remembering?
The breather is just a crimp in a card, so he could do it at any time. When he asks Jonathan for a number between 10 and 20, he has the cards in his hand. He has the opportunity to do a very quick manipulation before putting the cards down on the table. Enough to crimp the necessary card.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentor the Barbarian View Post
The breather is just a crimp in a card, so he could do it at any time. When he asks Jonathan for a number between 10 and 20, he has the cards in his hand. He has the opportunity to do a very quick manipulation before putting the cards down on the table. Enough to crimp the necessary card.
I don't have it on the DVR anymore but I recall he clearly left a crimp mark on the card at one point.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:27 PM
Quote:

As Penn remarked, just because you buy a magic trick online, doesn't mean you can perform a magic trick. The skill is in the practice to make the handling and presentation smooth and clean. This guy was very smooth and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Tightlips View Post
You can watch it online here. His act starts at 3:00.

http://cwtv.com/shows/penn-telle...7-3b3713d58141

As you can see, he has the deck in his hands when he gets the number from Jonathan.

If you take a new deck, it is smooth and the cards tend to cling. A little pressure will easily give enough suction to hold together. The trick is having one card that you rough up the surface or otherwise crimp to allow the breather.

Watch the first part, he puts two cards down, and accidentally picks up the lower card when he's trying to demonstrate picking up one card. He quickly puts it down and crimps the card, then repeats and it picks up only the top card. Then he places the two cards together, it looks like he swaps order, and applies pressure. Bingo.

Looking at all the other separations, if you look at the deck you can see a line in the deck that is the liftoff point each time. That's where he's placed arranged the breather. Just flex the card a hair.

The magic is in his handling to set up those crimps in just the right places so effortlessly.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:36 PM
The mentalist with the magic square definitely was peeking at the number and the picture, maybe even with assistance offstage. Her long hair covers up any earpiece she's wearing. Mentalism doesn't impress me much in general, it usually relies on knowing the answer to start with from some obvious means, if not from the use of confederates, and this one wasn't all that entertaining anyway. She was a good performer in general terms though, she could do well with a better act.

Obviously Mac King wasn't going to fool anyone, but he's very entertaining, his goldfish routine is fantastic, and I loved the interaction between him and Penn.

Even though I think the format of fooling P&T doesn't work all that well it's still a great show just for the magic performances.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Quote:
As Penn remarked, just because you buy a magic trick online, doesn't mean you can perform a magic trick. The skill is in the practice to make the handling and presentation smooth and clean. This guy was very smooth and clean
As Penn also says, sometimes a trick is even more impressive when you know how it's done...but you still can't see the move.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:43 PM
Charter Member
How does Mac King pull fish out the air?
Old 07-31-2015, 02:31 PM
Charter Member
And how does John Archer do this neat card trick?
Old 07-31-2015, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
How does Mac King pull fish out the air?
You just hide whatever it is behind your hand or between your fingers or similar. And then you practice making a move that covers that up.

Quote:
And how does John Archer do this neat card trick?
That I do not know. He had to have forced the cards, making it where they had to choose those cards, but I don't know how he did it. I can't think of anything that would not leave some people getting the same card.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:49 PM
Quote:
My guess is that there are only three different cards in the entire deck. The three volunteers don't really have time to study the deck, so they quickly make their picks and toss the cards away. They never learn what cards the other volunteers picked,; they all could have picked the same card and they only sit down when they hear their own card named. The magician then 'guesses' the only three cards in the deck.

Last edited by Stephe96; 07-31-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:44 PM
Quote:
My guess is that there are only three different cards in the entire deck. ... The magician then 'guesses' the only three cards in the deck.
Yes. He has to do a deck swap right after the guy checks the deck, but that's easy enough to do.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:00 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Yes. He has to do a deck swap right after the guy checks the deck, but that's easy enough to do.
And the rubber bands make it difficult to examine the deck closely.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Someone did the same trick on America's Got Talent. 5 cards, same trick. The trick is called "the tossed out deck", tossing to the crowd is the justification for the rubber bands, but you nailed the reason.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:38 AM
Tonight, a new set of fools. I mean foolers.

Bill Cook did a trick with an invisible change purse bag. He handed an audience member an invisible deck of cards, had her select one, fold it, place it in the bag, then he pulled out a real card, the one she selected.

I anticipated there would be the real reveal, I spotted the cover for the card already palmed. He was beautiful on reaching into the pocket to select the card. That was during the joke about asking her her weight. Totally covered on that. That was misdirect so he had time to palm. But smooth performance. As far as getting lucky, I assume he's saying the card was easy to get to in his index.

I had to go look up "invisible deck".

Wes Barker was entertaining. I know about tearing a phone book. The first round with the phone book allowed him to prep the sword in his case when he sits it down. I thought about a force, and about an index. He didn't use a force or an index, and 2 stabs at it and they pronounced themselves fooled. But it's really simple, so simple I had to study for a while to get it.

SPOILER:
The only person that looks at the page number on the sword is Wes. Even Jonathan is too far away to see it, and Wes quickly drops it right after the reveal, before Jonathan thinks to look over and try to look at the page himself.

Smooth delivery is what made it fool them.

Matthew Holtzclaw, I'm assuming the Hindu string trick was the torn and restored thread. Both tricks rely on prestaging. The first has a full wad in the bottom of the spool and an extra length of thread to unwind and break. Then deft handling of the two wads, one in he left hand for the restore, one in the right when he palms it at the end. The second is placing thread in the eye ahead of time, and wadding up the one he puts in his mouth. And a lot of misdirection about the nose.

David Regal, I assume he palms in five 2 of hearts for the reveal. I'm not sure how he does the five card show, but I do notice the five cards are fanned in his hand, not spread, during that reveal. I guess it's a cover gimmick that collapses and gets palmed as he's spreading the 2's. Yes, it's in his hands as Penn is doling out to the audience, makes it possible for him to prep that bit.

And of course Penn and Teller doing the Cups and Balls, which I've seen. It's not about the fooling, it's about the reveal. And blindingly fast.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
How is the phonebook tearing done? Just simple physics or is there a trick?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
How is the phonebook tearing done? Just simple physics or is there a trick?
I saw this is a magic book decades ago when I was in Junior High. It partly has to do with baking the book to reduce the water content and make it drier, and also only tear a small starting section and then using momentum to tear the rest. That's why it had to be torn from the short edge; it'd be difficult to tear from the spine.

I think P&T's visible cups and ball trick is the first one I saw them perform, probably on an early episode of David Letterman. It's still a pleasure to watch after all these years. Do they still do this in their stage act?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
I saw this is a magic book decades ago when I was in Junior High. It partly has to do with baking the book to reduce the water content and make it drier, and also only tear a small starting section and then using momentum to tear the rest. That's why it had to be torn from the short edge; it'd be difficult to tear from the spine.
I assume he had the book well prepped in as many ways as possible to start the tear in order not to mess up the act. That's the hardest part, getting it started. How hard the spine is depends on the type of binding, it's usually pretty cheap for phone books. The pages can't shift much when you tear that way so with an unprepped book it can be the best way to get a start. Of course that won't work for his trick! (I used to do that kind of stuff, long ago I had a Hulk-like physique).

Anyway, it was a wonderful act, I'm glad he fooled P&T, and it's a tribute to him that he did it by distracting with them entertainment. They guessed the peek, but were looking for the way to get the right page. I was stuck on that also. Great call Irishman.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Fun fact: you could guess how the phone-book trick was done from the two page numbers he "read" off the page he'd skewered. He acted like they were on opposite sides of the page, but for most books the even number on a single page is higher than the odd, while he had a higher odd number, so he was actually using two facing page numbers. This was because he'd "peeked" at the pages Ross had told him to stop at, but he didn't have any way of knowing whether Ross chose the page on the left or right.

I also missed that he never showed anyone the skewered page though. I figured he just had a second phone-book and pulled the correct page out of it while he was messing around with the sword. On the one hand, that seems like a less impressive trick. On the other hand, its impressive his performance was distracting enough that even P&T missed what in retrospect seems like an obvious point.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Tearing the phone book in half is a simple party trick. You hand the phone book to a strong looking dude, who fails at tearing it, because most people assume you need to twist your hands in opposite directions (exactly the way Jonathan tries, btw), which just strengthens the book if the pages are flat. Then, you take it and easily tear it in half, impressing all the ladies.

Anybody of nearly any strength level can do it if they know the secret. You just grab it by the top edge and make a V (with the point away from you) as you start the tear. You can pretty clearly see Wes put the V in the book both times he tears it. Smashing it against your leg dramatically is just show; once the tear is started it comes apart very easily. It's not difficult to get a straight tear and there is no prep needed.

Fun fact: I remember them showing the trick on Beakman's World back in the 90s.

Last edited by bgld; 08-04-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Here's a video showing how easily it's done and how straight the tear is.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_pGvEGFkvNs
Old 08-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post
Fun fact: you could guess how the phone-book trick was done from the two page numbers he "read" off the page he'd skewered. He acted like they were on opposite sides of the page, but for most books the even number on a single page is higher than the odd, while he had a higher odd number, so he was actually using two facing page numbers.
Page 1 is typically a right side of crease, two is the back side. But most people won't catch that. I didn't.

Quote:
This was because he'd "peeked" at the pages Ross had told him to stop at, but he didn't have any way of knowing whether Ross chose the page on the left or right.
That makes sense.

Quote:
On the one hand, that seems like a less impressive trick. On the other hand, its impressive his performance was distracting enough that even P&T missed what in retrospect seems like an obvious point.
It is a lot less impressive if the audience had any time to reflect our ask to check the page, but it's beautiful how smoothly he pulled it off.

I also noticed that the page Jonathan selected was all yellow, but the skewered page was yellow rim with white interior. Like a yellow page with ads with white backing. I think that helps - you see enough of the color you got a glimpse, and if he rushes the selection and the reveal, it helps protect for either a yellow or white choice. Of course, he could have one of each ready, and just happened to use one with a lot of white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgld View Post
Tearing the phone book in half is a simple party trick. [Snip]

Anybody of nearly any strength level can do it if they know the secret. You just grab it by the top edge and make a V (with the point away from you) as you start the tear. You can pretty clearly see Wes put the V in the book both times he tears it. Smashing it against your leg dramatically is just show; once the tear is started it comes apart very easily. It's not difficult to get a straight tear and there is no prep needed.
Yes, it's simple physics. The V means you slightly spread the pages, so you're only tearing through a few at a time.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post
This was because he'd "peeked" at the pages Ross had told him to stop at, but he didn't have any way of knowing whether Ross chose the page on the left or right.
When he opened the page for Jonathan, he marked the pages such that he could easily open the book up to that same page. He either ripped, creased, indented or folded the page to get it back. Then as he explains how to rip the book to Jonathan, he says not to open the book and rip out sheets. While he demonstrates this, he flips through pages and gets to his marked page.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Apologies for this side track, but it doesn't seem worth a thread of its own and I thought the people here would know:

America's Got Talent, the fourth judges cut, aired yesterday.

They put through one magician, a mentalist act with an utterly obvious gimmick. He asked questions of the judges, wrote down the 'message' he received mentally on a pad of paper, had the judge reveal what he was thinking of, then acted crestfallen, crumpled the paper and discarded it. Repeat several times. Then he did a trick with naming the word on the top line of a randomly chosen dictionary page, and then he revealed as a big surprise that a couple of the crumpled up pages actually held the correct answers to the first two questions.

The only astounding thing was that the judges pretended to find this amazing, when clearly all he'd done was write down the answer to Question One after it had been revealed while he was pretending to be writing the answer to Question Two and so forth.

Anyway, that's not what I'm curious about.

The final act they showed was a 'Regurgitator' who did such things as swallow a cherry tomato and a razor blade and then ralph 'em back up neatly sliced in half (and not even slightly squished.) And swallow quarters that had alphabet letters written on them and then produced the letters in the right order to spell a requested word.

The thing is, there was nothing at all about the act that couldn't have easily been done by ordinary sleight of hand. Okay, that a *magician* couldn't do with sleight of hand. Hell, *I* who have never so much as played with one of those 'magic trick' kid's boxes could stick four quarters into my mouth, talk for a few minutes, and then produce them in the desired order. Just tuck each between my teeth and gum and remember which went on the top left or bottom right and so forth, what could be simpler?

And yet the entire panel reacted as if it were the most amazing thing they'd ever seen. Really??? Were they honestly fooled? Somehow didn't realize they were watching a magician act? Or were they playing along? What??
Old 08-05-2015, 09:41 AM
The magic act was lame. Especially compared to the acts on Fool Us. Heidi apparently thinks the guy is actually swallowing stuff. He does actually get the stuff in his mouth, but notice that to hear the clink he holds the mike by his mouth and not his stomach. He's been around for a long time, I saw him on Letterman a hundred years ago, and he's still doing the same act. I'm surprised that he made it through.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Apologies for this side track, but it doesn't seem worth a thread of its own and I thought the people here would know:

America's Got Talent, the fourth judges cut, aired yesterday.

There's an America's Got Talent thread. We discuss things like this.

Quote:
The final act they showed was a 'Regurgitator' who did such things as swallow a cherry tomato and a razor blade and then ralph 'em back up neatly sliced in half (and not even slightly squished.) And swallow quarters that had alphabet letters written on them and then produced the letters in the right order to spell a requested word.

The thing is, there was nothing at all about the act that couldn't have easily been done by ordinary sleight of hand. Okay, that a *magician* couldn't do with sleight of hand. Hell, *I* who have never so much as played with one of those 'magic trick' kid's boxes could stick four quarters into my mouth, talk for a few minutes, and then produce them in the desired order. Just tuck each between my teeth and gum and remember which went on the top left or bottom right and so forth, what could be simpler?

And yet the entire panel reacted as if it were the most amazing thing they'd ever seen. Really??? Were they honestly fooled? Somehow didn't realize they were watching a magician act? Or were they playing along? What??
It was five quarters, but yes, that's what he did. Though he's swallowed larger things, like a light bulb or a bic lighter - things you couldn't hide in your mouth and be able to talk.

I don't believe he actually swallowed the razor blade. I think it's possible he does swallow and return things.

Why would the quarter sound be audible at his belly, through the skin? He's suggesting it travels up his esophagus through air. More plausible, though not fully convincing IMO.

With respect to the judges, yes, I think they are truly fooled by the magicians. I don't think they're acting at all. I think they are naive and uninformed enough about the mechanics and standard tricks that they don't see through the wadded up paper trick. A think a fair slice of the audience was impressed by that trick as well. That's one reason I was intrigued by Neil Patrick Harris being on the panel - as an amateur magician himself, he's got an informed position to work from.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
That I do not know. He had to have forced the cards, making it where they had to choose those cards, but I don't know how he did it. I can't think of anything that would not leave some people getting the same card.
I'm an idiot. I saw this thread again, started thinking about this again, and it came to me like a flash. The all chose the same card, which was done by making sure the cards only opened to one specific spot. The rubber band would keep you from realizing the others were stuck together--even if only slightly. Essentially, you have a breather card. (Less likely would be a bunch of duplicate cards, with the rubber band to keep you from looking at the other cards. Thing is, it would only take one crafty person to notice.)

Since no one else knows what the other person's card is, he can just give the real card and a couple fakes, and everyone thinks he got all of them. If, for some reason, one person got the wrong card, it still looks pretty good.

As for that shuffling at the beginning, I didn't see it for certain, but I suspect he switched the decks. The main reason is because he's clearly holding more than a full deck's worth when he calls Shawn up there, and we see him put something down.

(In fact, it looks to me like he took Shawn's cards and then put them down on the table, and then just used the other cards in his hands. But surely it wasn't that simple...)

Last edited by BigT; 08-05-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:24 AM
Question:
An index was mentioned twice. What is that?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:56 AM
A card index is sort of like the stacked credit card slots in a wallet. It gets loaded with cards and they're all held a little apart. Magicians learn to pull a selected card out of the index with a quick smooth or hidden move.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:28 PM
More generally, then, an index would be a set of all possible answers arranged such that the magician can quickly find and pull the correct one surreptitiously. For the phone book, it would be a duplicate with all pages separated and held in some manner to quickly thumb through.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Charter Member
Regarding the guy with the markers. He likely was using this:

http://promystic.com/product/color-match/

I think the way it works, and which someone has already suggested in this thread, is that the markers contain accelerometers and transmitters. When a marker detects that it is being moved it sends some number of vibrations to the Thumper device that is being worn by the performer. Different numbers of vibrations indicate different colors.

Note that the sales page mentions 5 "MagTags" and the performer used 5 markers.

In this day and age of miniaturized electronics, a lot of mentalism loses it's impact because it's easy to see how it can be done with electronics.

Last edited by davidm; 08-10-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Charter Member
Regarding the woman mentalist: Penn mentioned that she used a "center peek" for the magic square trick. Here's a video explaining it. Recall that she drew a "psychic circle" in the center of the paper and had Penn write his number in it.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9ghwlRlN7ts
As others have said, filling in the square is just a matter of mathematics.

Duplicating the drawing could have been done electronically. The pad that Teller drew on could have had a touch sensitive screen which transmitted the image, maybe to her watch or a small screen someplace like on the edge of the table.

Alternatively, the marker she had Teller use could have had a motion sensor that is triggered by pressure on the tip. The motion is transmitted and then used to reconstruct the image.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Charter Member
If you like open discussions about how tricks are done, the "Secrets of Magic" forum is an interesting place.
http://somfv3.com/secretforums/
Old 08-10-2015, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Duplicating the drawing could have been done electronically. The pad that Teller drew on could have had a touch sensitive screen which transmitted the image, maybe to her watch or a small screen someplace like on the edge of the table.
Looking up the link on the markers lead to this:

http://promystic.com/product/par...et-3-x-5-size/

The description on the markers also says something about using them for drawing duplication. So yes, that's two methods, but judging by the pad, I'm going with the first.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Looking up the link on the markers lead to this:

http://promystic.com/product/par...et-3-x-5-size/

The description on the markers also says something about using them for drawing duplication. So yes, that's two methods, but judging by the pad, I'm going with the first.
I don't think that pad is electronic, it simply retains an impression from the pressure of the marker and the performer can then peek at the impression at an opportune moment. Of course, that requires the performer getting hold of the pad. I'm not sure if she took the pad back from Teller before duplicating his drawing or not. I'd have to look at the video again.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure if she took the pad back from Teller before duplicating his drawing or not. I'd have to look at the video again.
I'm not certain if she touched it, and camera editing is a bitch on the show, but I did notice the notepad does change between when Penn gets up from the table and she has Teller stand.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:46 AM
New show, "Now THAT's Bunny!".

First contestant, Jay Sankey. He does a series of tricks with cards and a candle. Rising card from a box of cards - you can see his thumb motion. Next, he places a dollar bill between two cards, staple through, then quickly removes the dollar while the cards are stapled. Penn says something about seeing some larceny that allows him to do the trick. What I do notice is that Jay retains hold on the cards and dollar bill while he has Jonathan check the staple. He's careful in how he holds the set. Rewatching I think I finally see the move, so here's my guess. His queen of clubs is pre-stapled to a seven of diamonds, and he has a second 7. He puts the pair under the single 7, carefully slides the dollar between the pair and the top 7, uses an empty stapler. Then when Jonathan walks over to his right, he slips the top 7 onto the top of the deck as he sets it down. The camera and Jonathan are only shown the side with the queen, Jonathan feels the staple but doesn't see the back side. Then a quick pull to slide the bill, and the cards are stapled and the dollar is not damaged. What was throwing me was when he pulls the top card, but I finally saw where it had to be.

Next he separates the cards and removes the staple. Then he folds the cards together and tears them into quarters. A simple palm in his right hand (his two lower fingers are closed while only using first two fingers for folding and tearing) in a pair that is folded and not torn, and he ditches the torn pieces into his collar while rubbing his arm hair.

Final trick uses a sparkler. He forces Jonathan to select the Jack of Spades, then he uses the sparkler and pushes it through the deck and burns through a slot through all the cards but the Jack. The Jack is on top, masking the gash, when he pulls the jack off, the gash is revealed. Good job masking. But no fooling.

Second up: Greg Wilson. Greg is a second generation magician, whose parents are famous from the 60s and 70s - Mark Wilson and Nani Darnell. He uses a hell of a lot of stage smoke. This appears to be a case where Penn and Teller award him for his heritage, not for anything he actually does. He had a large plexiglas box and puts swords through with the lady inside - kinda Penn and Tellerish that we see into the box as it's done. Then he has the box wheeled backwards into a larger draped box with curtains. Pop inside the curtains, quick change, the girl is out and it appears he's in the box with the handkerchief he had Penn sign. Except, they open the box, it's someone else in a wig, he pops up in the audience, but then he runs back on stage to reveal the handkerchief with his father and mother. Penn and Teller were apparently surprised with the parents' reveal.

The thing is, this is the second time a second generation magician has pulled his famous magician parents into the surprise reveal, so that shouldn't be a big surprise. Oh well.

Trigg Watson, young guy using his Ipad. First trick, he makes a flower and vase appear behind his Ipad in the camera, and then pulls aside the Ipad to reveal a real flower and vase. Seems fairly obvious he uses a prepared video - he is slightly out of synch a couple times, and when revealing the flower, has a slight hangup that makes the vase wiggle out alignment. Oops.

Then he uses a big display board with cards representing the apps. He has Jonathan come over, blindfolds Jonathan, selects the clock app and places it on a stand, has Jonathan select a random app from a stack of cards that he shows us are all clocks. Immediately I knew something had to be up, because that's not an impressive magic act from our standpoint. So of course, even though it looked like all options were clock, he ends up selecting Angry Birds. And then the surprise reveal, the "Clock" card on the stand is shown to now be Angry Birds. And for bonus, his shirt under his jacket has become an Angry Birds T-shirt.

The quick change was a surprise. Angry Birds was a nice tie back to the first Ipad gimmick where it opened to an Angry Birds game. Fairly obvious what was done and when.

Fourth up, Jen Kramer. She went to Yale University. She spreads a deck and has Jonathan confirm it's random, then gives him instructions to follow. She splits the deck and lets him pick one half. She shuffles his half, then she turns around and fans her half, and has him fan his half and select any one of the cards. She turns back around, puts the two halves together, does a little shuffle, then has him slowly deal one card at a time from his stack to her hand. She has him ID his card (8 of diamonds), then deal off the cards and the third card she has stop, and viola, it's the 8 of diamonds.

Penn praises her for her trick being largely a mind trick, though her card work is a little sloppy. I suspect she splits the deck, then looks at her half and while her back is turned, swaps in a stack that matches the half of cards that Jonathan has but are in a set order that she has memorized. So when she puts the stacks together, she does a false shuffle to get her primed stack on top, and then he ID's the card, she just counts down to the correct card.

No fooling. I notice Penn avoided the words "false shuffle".

Finally, it's Penn and Teller pulling a rabbit out of a hat. They talk about how it's the cliche trick, a practical symbol for magician to pull a rabbit out of a top hat, but they've never seen it done. So they go on to get someone from the audience to inspect Penn's top hat so they can get a hat from an audience member. And it's a plain unrigged top hat. Then Teller demonstrates a similar trick using a silk (handkerchief) with a top hat on it, and pulls out a small bunny like thing that's actually a puppet, a "kicker". After that and a lecture on why it's hard to do the trick, they pull up the volunteer and hat, pull out a magic wand, and "poof", there's a real live rabbit produced in the top hat.

Okay, a couple things. First, Teller isn't completely clean with the production, though I had a clue because I just saw them do this trick last night on The Tonight Show for Jimmy Fallon. There he was less clean, but it was covered better by unexpected timing when the wand was produced. I was expecting Penn to poke the wand around inside the hat, but that didn't happen. Anyway, if you watch, there's a slight glimpse of sleeve from Teller's coat as he loads the bunny.

The other amusing point: during the set up video for this episode, Greg Wilson actually does the rabbit from a hat, followed by swapping the hat to a smaller had and then the rabbit to a larger rabbit. DOH!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Charter Member
Regarding Jen Kramer: I had this figured out before P&T said anything and what they said confirmed it for me.

Irishman is close except I don't think she swapped anything. I think what happens is that she starts with 2 half decks, each containing the same 26 cards in the same memorized order, or possibly 2 different memorized orders. I say "memorized" but it's more likely the order fits with some algorithm or algorithms she uses.

When she cuts the deck the top card of the bottom half is probably a short or corner short card allowing her to cleanly seperate the two halfs in a casual seemingly random manner. The host can then of course shuffle his half all he wants since at this point the only thing that matters is the order of her half.

When the deck is put back together she does a sort of false shuffle where she doesn't disturb the order of the ordered half and ends up with that on top. Then, once he tells her the chosen card, it's simply a matter of using the algorithm or memorized order to tell how far down in the deck she has to go. If you watch her face and her eyes you can see there's some mental processing going on as she counts through the deck.

In this case it happened to be only 3 cards down so she made the remark about it being "quick but good while it lasted". She probably has different lines memorized depending on how far down the card is.

Last edited by davidm; 08-11-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Charter Member
Regarding Greg Wilson: I don't know the exact method or construction of his sword box, but I will say that while the audience may have been impressed by having a third person appear in the box and Wilson appearing in the audience, this actually makes the trick less impressive since there's more time to do the switch then there would be if Wilson had ended up in the box.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:29 AM
While Greg Wilson made a production of locking the sword box top with two padlocks, when they opened it afterward they lifted it straight up, indicating the back edge wasn't even hinged.

Last edited by lieu; 08-11-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
While Greg Wilson made a production of locking the sword box top with two padlocks, when they opened it afterward they lifted it straight up, indicating the back edge wasn't even hinged.
Good catch. I didn't notice that.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:23 AM
The Wilson trick was just a performance to bring out his dad. A similar thing was done for the finale of the British show. I don't think the point was to fool P&T and they were being gracious to say they were fooled (although they may even have suspected the old switcheroo because of the British show).

Great to see Mark Wilson come out, The Magic Land of Allakazam was one of my favorite shows as a kid.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:21 PM
FYI: CW has ordered another season of Penn & Teller: Fool Us
Old 08-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
No they lifted it straight up at the beginning when the assistant got into the box. Then the assistants fasten two locks in the front, and Wilson fastened two locks in the back. At the end of the trick, they removed four locks, and lifted the lid.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Irishman is close except I don't think she swapped anything. I think what happens is that she starts with 2 half decks, each containing the same 26 cards in the same memorized order, or possibly 2 different memorized orders.
I was thinking along these lines - but if you watch again (in high def with the ability to freeze the video) you can see when she spreads the entire deck out on the table and when she and Jonathan fan out their half decks for the camera that there are no duplicate cards.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:34 PM
Quote:
FYI: CW has ordered another season of Penn & Teller: Fool Us
Great news!
Closed Thread