Old 06-05-2001, 11:40 AM
I am trying to find the formula to calculate the savings erned between two values.

IE:
Cost of Item 1 = 1400
Cost of Item 2 = 1600
Q: What percent is saved when buying I1 over I2?

I1/I2=% so 1400/1600 = .87 Or 87%

Now...100-87 = 13.

That "13" should be the savings percentage no? But I can't figure out how to get Excel to calculate that in a formula. Any ideas???? (I have a feeling this is so simple and I'm gonna smack myself in the head when I see it...)
Old 06-05-2001, 11:47 AM
1 - I1/I2
Old 06-05-2001, 11:49 AM
Charter Member
Do you mean:

Savings Percentage = (I2 - I1)/I2

Or, in your example, the money you save is $1600-$1400 = $200, and the original cost is $1600, so the savings percentage = ($1600-$1400)/$1600 = 12.5%
Glaring directly down towards her was the stoney, cycloptic face of the bloated diety. Gaping from its single obling socket was scintillating, many fauceted scarlet emerald, a brilliant gem seeming to possess a life all of its own. A priceless gleaming stone, capable of domineering the wealth of conquering empires...the eye of Argon.
Old 06-05-2001, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tretiak
1 - I1/I2
Perfect! Thanks dude! It worked!

I was using: =(D3/G3)-1

Apart from the obvious, D3 and G3 were in the wrong order.
See? I told you I'd be smacking myself in the head...

Zut: Yep. That's what I was looking for.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off