Old 09-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Z Nation - Did anyone watch this? [spoilers]

So, I watched this, and it's pretty terrible so far. The dialogue is terribly clunky and the plot is basically stolen from any number of pandemic stories (the Last Ship had a story arc which was a smushed down version of getting the immune person to the lab).

It was kind of interesting that something akin to a new religion has sprung up in the wake of the ZA, and I would like to see that explored more. But otherwise, it just seems like standard ZA dreck. Because everyone has a goal (delivering the immune guy), it may avoid some of the dreariness of Walking Dead.

Unfortunately, they killed off the only remotely interesting character (the military guy) in the first episode (and *sigh*, of course they kill of the black dude).

I'll keep it on my DVR, but not sure how long I'll continue to watch.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:31 PM
They actually killed of two black dudes I thought it was ok, although it is basically the plot of next seasons Walking Dead.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
They actually killed of two black dudes I thought it was ok, although it is basically the plot of next seasons Walking Dead.
Two? Well, I guess I wasn't paying attention very well. Lol.

I classify ZA movies/TV shows into "high-class" ones like Dawn of the Dead (remake) and "low-class" ones, like Zombie Apocalypse, both of which starred Ving Rhames. Z Nation definitely goes into the "low-class" category for me.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Charter Member
As soon as I saw the baby I decided if the writers could contain themselves and not go with another zombie baby I would give it a shot.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Zombie baby was in the episode description though. I have no idea how the damn baby turned in the first place.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:50 AM
I think the baby was weak (they say it at one point) from malnutrition or dehydration or being a baby or something and then died because of that. And this appears to be a ZA where everyone is infected, so they turn automagically at death (at least, I think that's what mercy killing the old lady was about).

Although, if everyone is already infected, then what is a vaccine going to do? How do I science??
Old 09-14-2014, 12:23 PM
Well the baby did seem to go from perfectly fine to dead to zombified in like five seconds, but other than that i mostly enjoyed it. I liked the Walking Dead shout out too.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightNShiny View Post
Although, if everyone is already infected, then what is a vaccine going to do? How do I science??
It might prevent a latent infection from activating. Though I'm not overly confident in the a Zombie show's ability to science, that has precedent.

The shingles vaccine prevents the reactivation of a virus previously acquired with Chicken Pox. The person is already infected with herpes zoster, it's just sitting there dormant in the nerve cells, but the vaccine prevents it from activating at a later date. It could be the zombie vaccine operates the same way.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:32 PM
"I didn't tell Hammond to go get eaten by a baby."

-pwa-hahahahahaha..... ludicrously stupid. The episode went ridiculously off the rails with the baby. How does it pose a threat - does it even have teeth? And why, unlike the adult zombies, does it forgo the mindless charge and go all stealth-and-sneak like the chestburster from Aliens? Then uglydork from The Core goes all outlaw DJ instead of, y'know, announcing to everyone who will listen that there's a guy named Murphy who is headed for California and must get there. Meantime we've got ethnic Lara Croft showing lots of leg and being all mysterious and shit, and Emosniper...

The only way this material can distinguish itself from much better examples of the genre is with black humour - forget Walking Dead, go Zombieland.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 PM
It's an hour of mindless zombie entertainment. Like most zombie material, there are plot holes to drive a tank through, but hell, I've already accepted zombies, so what the hell. Would have liked to see the black dude (Hammond?) stick around, but he went and got ate by a goddamn baby.

I'll throw it on the Tivo, see where it goes.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
The only way this material can distinguish itself from much better examples of the genre is with black humour - forget Walking Dead, go Zombieland.
This.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
This.
Amazon shot a pilot for Zombieland last year. Pretty bad...
Old 09-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
I'd heard there were vague plans for a series but didn't know anything had been produced. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
It's an hour of mindless zombie entertainment. Like most zombie material, there are plot holes to drive a tank through, but hell, I've already accepted zombies, so what the hell. Would have liked to see the black dude (Hammond?) stick around, but he went and got ate by a goddamn baby.

I'll throw it on the Tivo, see where it goes.
This. I saw the first episode and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It's not relentlessly grim like TWD, (which I also love.) I'll definitely be watching.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:41 PM
How did the Zombie Baby end up being a speed demon? The ZB moved faster than it did as a live baby and much faster than adult zombies were moving.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
How did the Zombie Baby end up being a speed demon? The ZB moved faster than it did as a live baby and much faster than adult zombies were moving.
He had just had a power nap.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
I just watched it. It compares unfavourably to the film (especially in the characterization of Tallahassee) but had its charms. Certainly better than Z Nation.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
<snip>
Best idea I've heard all day. I wasn't overwhelmed by the premiere, but I'll watch damned near anything post-apocalyptic, so I'll keep watching until it becomes completely unwatchable.

You don't suppose Zombie Baby was a direct crack at Walking Dead, do you?
Old 09-20-2014, 03:29 AM
Lookie! There are pay phones. And they still work. After all this time into the ZA.

lf the land line system still works in the ZA, that sort of makes your survival strategies a bit easier.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:05 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Lookie! There are pay phones. And they still work. After all this time into the ZA.

lf the land line system still works in the ZA, that sort of makes your survival strategies a bit easier.
Couldn't be sillier than Zombieland, where there are a handful of zombies(maybe they ate everyone?) instead of hordes and a month or more after the fall of civilization the power is still on everywhere, gas stations have full tanks, etc.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:51 AM
The zombies in Zombieland aren't actually zombies, though, at least in the sense of being walking corpses. They're more like sufferers of super-rabies, still alive but feverish, delusional, violent... and with some vague survival instincts (in the TV pilot, a "zombie" actually runs away from a dangerous object). They won't be lingering for years at a time as they decay with improbable slowness - they'll probably live for a few weeks at most and by now, 99%+ of the human population (at least in the U.S.) is completely dead (i.e. not moving). The world of Zombieland is emptiness with the occasional intense threat (though with room for ending that threat with comical flair), rather than a sea of ever-present danger.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 09-20-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
Couldn't be sillier than Zombieland, where there are a handful of zombies(maybe they ate everyone?) instead of hordes and a month or more after the fall of civilization the power is still on everywhere, gas stations have full tanks, etc.
Well, there's that too. I can't remember how quick the ZA went down in Zombieland. If it went down quickly, then I could see there being a lot of gas around, because people wouldn't have had time to hoard it. But the power still working is pretty silly.

But aside from that, if the phone system is still working in Z Nation, then why aren't people using it to communicate? Why doesn't Northern Lights just give the group his phone number? I mean, I don't want to see a show about people just talking on the phone, but even within the universe they've created, having a working phone system is pretty silly.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Quote:
I mean, I don't want to see a show about people just talking on the phone
On The Walking Dead, you didn't even need the plural.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Well, there's that too. I can't remember how quick the ZA went down in Zombieland.
"It's been two months since Patient Zero took a bite of a contaminated burger at a Gas-N-Gulp"
Old 09-21-2014, 12:30 AM
Charter Member
We watched "Fracking Zombies" this week - it was not good. We thought the Walking Dead bunch were stupid, but these guys are attempting to teach us that the Walking Dead bunch are geniuses.

"Hey, let's fill up a tanker with gas and then just run away from it and let it blow up!"

"Yeah! Best idea ever!"

"Well, I have an excellent little zombie attractor, but I'm just going to toss it away to make sure that the evil guy following me knows I was here."

And, in closing, I just wanted to say that if I'm the only person calling her bat with all the spikes in it The Thagomizer, I will be EXTREMELY disappointed with the human race.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
As soon as I saw the baby I decided if the writers could contain themselves and not go with another zombie baby I would give it a shot.
You much not watch much Syfy, since the commercials for this show were all filled with "here baby baby" RAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH bullshit.

How did the damn baby die anyway? Bored to death?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
How did the damn baby die anyway? Bored to death?
No. It suicided in protest of the pandering-to-the-audience predictability of the Uppity Black Character Must Die Horribly cliché.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 PM
Why didn't Northern Lights guy give them a phone number where they could call him?

And this "cult" thing... [sigh].... seriously? This is where your priorities are in the post-apocalyptic world, recapturing someone who ran away?

The big gas truck was at least partly filled and they'd gotten it running, so why didn't they drive off in it?

When I first saw the zombies shambling single-file up the tower, I had a mental image of an Escher artwork, figuring the ones at the top were somehow circling back to the bottom to repeat the climb. I'm not even sure what the point of stopping the noisy pump was - zombie go up, fall into tank... and this is a problem, somehow? They didn't seem to pose any (or no more than minimal) kind of threat to the plan to fill up the tanker truck. Thing is, if you can casually climb a flight of stairs while chatting and walk past zombies, how dangerous are they supposed to be? It looks less risky to life and limb than butting to the head of the line at Disneyland.

Only zombie babies and zombie dogs can move with any kind of speed, it seems. It must have something to do with the lower center of gravity.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Our intrepid warriors stumble into the movie "Motel Hell."

So, I know that AM signals can go long distances during night and when there's cloud cover. But, they were running around on a bright, sunny day. So I guess that Northern Lights hacked a somewhat nearby AM station to broadcast, rather than broadcasting from his hideout. So, it's not just the phone systems that have power, but the radio stations do too? Which means the entire power grid is up and running? Geez, you culty-assholes. Instead of eating people, why don't you just get a freaking refrigerator?

It looks like they're just going to use Northern Lights as a deus ex machina. When the plot requires, he will have access to some magic piece of technology, which nobody else in the show is aware is still working.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Charter Member
Forget going to California; they should be heading up north to keep Northern Lights company with his 50 tonnes of food and a nice safe haven!

And, as they said in "Zombieland," LOOK IN THE BACK SEAT! Three years into the zombie apocalypse and they still don't check for zombies when getting into vehicles?!? Not once, but twice in this episode!

ETA: I have to say, though, watching the Liberty Bell take out multiple zombies was almost worth the pain of watching the stupid.

ETAA: Whole lotta thagomizin' goin' on!

Last edited by Cat Whisperer; 09-27-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:45 PM
Can we have more scenes of Citizen Z and his dog; because so far they're the most interesting characters. I missed the pilot; is Patient Zero really "wrongfully convicted"? I'm going to assume that if the government had to start selecting prison inmates for science experiments that involve being eaten alive by zombies they'd start with the child molesters, and I can't think of a more ironic thing to make the "saviour of humanity". Speaking of that; testing the vaccine by letting a bunch of zombies tear at the subject is a really stupid way of going about it. Even if you do have guards standing by to terminate them there's a huge change the subject will end up dying of his injuries before you can see if infection sets in. One bite will do (& you could just have a technician holding a severed zombie head), or just inject him with contaminated fluid. And yes I know I'm putting way to much thought into this; I do the same thing with TWD.

Last edited by alphaboi867; 09-27-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:05 AM
I didn't get the impression that letting "the package" get chewed on was part of the plan, it just happened in the course of the prison medical facility getting overrun.

The stupid is strong with this show, though. You have a skilled sniper on your team, just kill the entire cult from a distance and then take their weapons and working vehicles. Why is that not the first and obvious answer?

And of course, crashing and wrecking a perfectly good vehicle because the driver stupidly took her eyes off the road is downright Lori-esque.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:57 AM
I'm loving this show, 3 episodes in. It's so brainless, it is absolutely guaranteed safe from zombies.

But for something made on the cheap (evidently, anyway), it is chock full of badass. A zombie baby!!! A horde of flaming zombies!!! The Liberty Bell goes zombie bowling down the street!!!!! And (to the tune of Flight of the Valkyires) "And what you fail to realize, is I'm dragging mines zombies!!!!"

You definitely need lots of extra exclamation points to dig this show.

I know the "it's so bad, it's good" thing appeals idiosyncratically, so I won't attempt to convince anyone not to criticize or dislike the show. It just hits the right notes for me to find it very fun.

And I kinda like that we've had about as much plot arc in 3 episodes as it took Walking Dead 3 seasons to get around to.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:58 AM
I wonder if Syfy is making this hokey because of the sucess of Sharknando 1 and Sharknando 2.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
I wonder if Syfy is making this hokey because of the sucess of Sharknando 1 and Sharknando 2.
I've sort of wondered that, too. I'm not sure why Sharknado was so much stupid fun, and this show is just really, really stupid, though.

Which is not to say it can't get to the point of stupid fun; it has its moments.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:54 PM
I think this is made by The Asylum, which made Sharknado, but somehow, this is not reaching Sharknado so-bad-it's-good levels for me. Maybe if they had more recognizable B-list actors in it and did more ridiculous stuff like Zombie bowling with the Liberty Bell, I could take it on that level.

Although, while I can enjoy a few hours of Sharknado silliness, I'm not sure I'd be able to take a whole season of it.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Well, this episode was kind of pointless. Although it had some humorous bits, such as the the family of robbers and getting the zombie high. And I think the general falling off the roof was supposed to be a reference to Dr. Strangelove, which, if so, was mildly amusing.

The power thing is really beginning to bug me. Every place seems to have power, but nobody really makes use of it for defensive or communications purposes.

Looks like next week will be silly and awesome.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:14 AM
Thank God, "The Walking Dead" is starting soon because I think i'm getting addicted to Z Nation.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:31 AM
Charter Member
Is it me or is Citizen Z (DJ Qualls) basically narrating every episode.
It's almost like the first five minutes he might as well just say "Last week on Z Nation..."
Old 10-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Quote:
The power thing is really beginning to bug me. Every place seems to have power, but nobody really makes use of it for defensive or communications purposes.
I suppose it's sort of like spaceships with gravity: it's not really logical, but it would be difficult to film the story without it.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I suppose it's sort of like spaceships with gravity: it's not really logical, but it would be difficult to film the story without it.
I don't think it's really the same thing. This is more like a spaceship with working gravity, but most of the people are floating around anyway for no reason, until the plot requires it, and then a few people use the gravity. Then we go back to everyone not using the artificial gravity (even though it would be really useful and logical to do so), until the next time a few people use it because plot.

ETA: Plus, there are a number of post-apocalyptic shows and movies without working power, so I'm not sure why it would be difficult to film it. But, my objection is that in the world they've created, there is working power and phones, and everybody seems to know it, but nobody uses these things because.... well, who knows?

Last edited by BrightNShiny; 10-04-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Quote:
...The power thing is really beginning to bug me. Every place seems to have power, but nobody really makes use of it for defensive or communications purposes...
Don't forget about Facebook & Twitter still functioning 3 yrs after the collapse of civilization. Or was Citizen Z just going through stuff archived on an NSA server?
Old 10-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Don't forget about Facebook & Twitter still functioning 3 yrs after the collapse of civilization. Or was Citizen Z just going through stuff archived on an NSA server?
He's actively making his own reality -
Old 10-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Charter Member
Alright, I have to take some of it back. We actually enjoyed the last episode, and laughed many times. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. "Too much death; too many dead soldiers; too many zombies."
Old 10-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Alright, I have to take some of it back. We actually enjoyed the last episode, and laughed many times. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. "Too much death; too many dead soldiers; too many zombies."
And next week -

ZNADO!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:59 AM
Well, they finally made use of the power grid, so I'll give them that.

The ZNado was only like 2 minutes long. What a let-down.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Charter Member
They look at the zombnado - "Well, at least it isn't sharks."

Followed by zombies falling out of the sky and Roberta looking up at the sky - "Really, God?!?"

Hah! The show is still stupid, but I'm enjoying it a lot more.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:34 PM
OK, killing off Garnet sure was unexpected. I really felt sorry for the "Resurrected" too; couldn't they get a less degrading existence like being used in a zombie brothel (which we probably won't get to see until the team makes it to NV).

Last edited by alphaboi867; 10-17-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I was shocked to see him go. This show deff has some imagination to it.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:20 PM
When they were at the refinery and decided to jam the pulley wheel instead of cutting its drive belt, I was ready to stop watching. However the series grows on you after a while.

Killing the supposed protagonists seems to be an odd choice as well, as they are nearly halfway across the US. Realistically once you get past Kansas and if you avoid the major cities, zombies really shouldn’t be a problem anyway.

Amusing show that occasionally shocks.
Good for a season, but they really haven’t got enough story left for more than that.