Old 10-02-2014, 03:02 PM
BANNED
Lunch on the Hanging Rock

A lunch on the Hanging Rock at the Glacier Point over Yosemite Valley

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0GmvFma-M_g
Old 10-02-2014, 04:24 PM
I am so jealous - what a beautiful view! Were you at all nervous to be so terrible high up? How was the temperature?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 PM
What did you do with those Australian schoolgirls?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Charter Member
No way could I do that.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:51 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by njtt View Post
It took some time to figure out what you are talking about. An old Australian film "Picnic at Hanging Rock." I haven't seen it or even new about it before. The similarity in titles is by chance.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Charter Member
Screw that noise!

Good for you for having a pair though.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Wonderful video of the best scenery in America!!!

(but you could have been a little more truthful in your thread title: "Blowing my nose on the Hanging Rock" )
Old 10-03-2014, 09:33 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
Screw that noise!
'Tis the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
Wonderful video of the best scenery in America!!!

(but you could have been a little more truthful in your thread title: "Blowing my nose on the Hanging Rock" )
Nonetheless got a couple of requests for licensing. One from Dublin, another from LA. Offered $200 for signing the contract +60% of the profit. Albeit after signing the contract I would only have the video for private use. And they can do any editing they wish. So I did not sign.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Simus View Post
Offered $200 for signing the contract +60% of the profit. Albeit after signing the contract I would only have the video for private use. And they can do any editing they wish. So I did not sign.
I agree, $200 isn't worth signing away your rights to good vacation memories.
But "60% of profits"----that could conceivably turn into big money. Probably not, but you never know. If somebody cuts a 30-second clip from your video and imbeds it in something that goes big, say, with a hundred thousand downloads a $1 apiece ......

Not likely to happen, of course, but......
Old 10-07-2014, 07:48 PM
BANNED
Quote:
I agree, $200 isn't worth signing away your rights to good vacation memories.
But "60% of profits"----that could conceivably turn into big money. Probably not, but you never know. If somebody cuts a 30-second clip from your video and imbeds it in something that goes big, say, with a hundred thousand downloads a $1 apiece ......

Not likely to happen, of course, but......
The contract also include the statement that they can add anything they like.

Once I did work for a company and invented some nice thing. After some time I have seen a report to certain industry association. It contained my invention, but was attributed to completely different people. It did not violate my contract with the company since it contained "moral rights" waiver.

So I wonder: may be they are for something like that: make a film that someone else did that. This way they could earn tens of thousands. Since this is where money are, this is what people could pay for.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by njtt View Post
I love this place.

Picnic At Hanging Rock. Forget yer Blair Witch Projects, folks. This is a classic " was it true, was it pure fiction, did it happen? " tales.

Peter Weir at his finest, IMHO.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:29 PM
BANNED
At least this thread is not locked like the other one.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:11 PM
What's your next stunt? Feeding bears in Yellowstone?
Old 10-13-2014, 03:09 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
What's your next stunt? Feeding bears in Yellowstone?
Bears here:

http://reverent.org/photos/v/bears/
Old 10-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Shouting Grasshopper
Glacier Point is truly one of the greatest viewpoints in all of the National Parks. I remember my first time up there, seeing Half Dome edge on, almost like you could reach out and touch it...amazing.

Where else did you go when you were in Yosemite? I drove through on Labor Day week and took this POV video a few miles away (as the crow flies)

Last edited by blondebear; 10-13-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:05 AM
I don't mean this to be snarky, but aren't signs like "Do Not Enter" to be followed in national parks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
I love this place.

Picnic At Hanging Rock. Forget yer Blair Witch Projects, folks. This is a classic " was it true, was it pure fiction, did it happen? " tales.

Peter Weir at his finest, IMHO.
In my top three ever.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
I don't mean this to be snarky, but aren't signs like "Do Not Enter" to be followed in national parks?
I had the same thought. I've occasionally violated posted rules, so I am not without sin, but I don't think I'd post video of myself doing so.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:40 PM
BANNED
Quote:
What about this guy?

http://yosemiteblog.com/2011/03/28/h...y-galen-clark/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I had the same thought. I've occasionally violated posted rules, so I am not without sin, but I don't think I'd post video of myself doing so.
Perhaps, because you did not go to such place, which would justify posting a video?

Last edited by Don Simus; 10-14-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Perhaps, because you did not go to such place, which would justify posting a video?
Nope, that's not it.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Quote:
I can't tell if there's a Do Not Enter sign nearby.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:38 PM
BANNED
Quote:
I can't tell if there's a Do Not Enter sign nearby.
BTW, here is a photo of John Muir sitting on that rock

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...x350-48579.jpg

So why Galen Clark did not put a no entry sign there?

Why did they put it now? In whose interests is this?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Charter Member
How did you post a photograph inside of a post here, opposed to providing a link?
I did not think that was possible.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Quote:

So why Galen Clark did not put a no entry sign there?

In the interest of not having people lugging tripods out there, tripping and falling over the edge? Or groups big enough to crowd someone over the edge? Or wear away at/dislodge the rock?

I just thought people were more religious about observing posted rules.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
How did you post a photograph inside of a post here, opposed to providing a link?
Not on my screen. Must be a plug-in of some sort.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Well, here is another sign in the park.

(spoiler: the sign is at the top of a waterfall, and says very bluntly:"if you slip, you will die".)
Old 10-17-2014, 06:41 PM
BANNED
Quote:
In the interest of not having people lugging tripods out there, tripping and falling over the edge? Or groups big enough to crowd someone over the edge?
There will be no crowds there even without a no entry sign since there is a far more powerful force which will stop the vast majority of people.

Quote:
Or wear away at/dislodge the rock?
That rock? I just imagined you setting up a top rope anchor: What if? What if? What if?

Quote:
People of your persuasion usually want people to become less religious. But here you become zealous for the strict observance of the commandment "Thou shalt not sit on the edge of a 3000-feet cliff." What religion is that?
Old 10-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Jeezum, lighten up. Why do you think they have a Do Not Enter sign?

Oh, and what is my "persuasion" that you could gather from an offhand post?

Last edited by gigi; 10-18-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 AM
I meant to be Snarky, but nobody caught it

Quote:

John Muir was an asshole. Sierra Club's unspoken Moto: Protect from You, for Us.

The signs are there in the interest of the people who's lives you endanger when they need to go and recover your splattered corpse off the side of the cliff when you fall. Under-paid park rangers. The signs are in the interest of those who would enjoy the view from a reasonable distance, instead of it being sealed off from a mile away due to asspipes abusing the priveledge and ruining it for everyone else.

You paid the entrance fee (presumably), follow the fucking rules!

But that's the nice thing about being self-centered. You don't need to be concerned with anyone else's well-being. Its all you! Go, Girl!

The reality is for every asshole who wanders off trail, feeds the bears, wades into rivers above falls, ventures out unprepared into the wilderness, there are many other people who put themselves at serious risk to save their ass when they deserve a hearty, "Fuck them! Let them DIE!". That's not how society rolls, however.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:25 PM
BANNED
Quote:
John Muir was an asshole. Sierra Club's unspoken Moto: Protect from You, for Us.
But there is no need to protect the Hanging Rock from you, right? You will not be able to get even close on your unsteady legs.

Quote:
The signs are there in the interest of the people who's lives you endanger when they need to go and recover your splattered corpse off the side of the cliff when you fall.
Thank you for good wishes. However, if I fall from the Hanging rock - it will be all the way to the valley floor. So no risk to recover the corpse.

Quote:
Under-paid park rangers.
This job is done by recovery and rescue team, which is not on a regular payroll. They are only paid when they do recovery or rescue. So this would be an opportunity for them to get some money.

Quote:
The signs are in the interest of those who would enjoy the view from a reasonable distance, instead of it being sealed off from a mile away due to asspipes abusing the priveledge and ruining it for everyone else.
In such case the lawyers who would seal the area would be guilty.

Quote:
You paid the entrance fee (presumably), follow the fucking rules!
Why don't you take a shower and wash your pants?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
The reality is for every asshole who wanders off trail, feeds the bears, wades into rivers above falls, ventures out unprepared into the wilderness, there are many other people who put themselves at serious risk to save their ass when they deserve a hearty, "Fuck them! Let them DIE!". That's not how society rolls, however.
I could not agree more with this statement. People operate in some bizarre Disney-kiddie movie-alternate universe mentality where every dense wood is in reality a cleansed safe purified area to be gazed upon, enjoyed and passed through on a single well-defined path with no risks at all until the next completely safe area is reached.

And, when some nitwit goes missing or goes off a steep incline and is immobilized or is attacked by an animal, the finger-pointing begins. It is a result of The Me Decade, where the world owes Me everything and I bear no responsibility for my own actions and decisions on any level.

Fucking morons. Rescue personnel and emergency responders and their families do not garner great comfort from losing a loved one who went out into danger for no reason other than the ignorance and hubris of an ill-prepared person. They don't sit around for the rest of their lives thinking, " Gosh, Mom was a real hero " The truth here is that those family members sit around thinking, " Fucking idiot cost my Mom her life. "

You want to venture off into danger? Go for it. Free Will and whatnots. Don't expect the world to risk themselves because you are irresponsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Simus
This job is done by recovery and rescue team, which is not on a regular payroll. They are only paid when they do recovery or rescue. So this would be an opportunity for them to get some money.
Ahhh, ignorance pranced about for all to see. Let me explain this to you in very coarse terms.

There is nobody, anywhere on this planet, who goes into Emergency Services as a career or as a volunteer, to make a dime. The pay, even for Paramedics and Flight Nurses, is atrocious. You see Search and Rescue as a mercenary pursuit? Going out into the wild to do S&R work is not " an opportunity for them to get some money".

Holy crap.

~~~ Cartooniverse, retired New York State E.M.T.

Last edited by Cartooniverse; 10-20-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:42 PM
I would so have fallen off of that. Trip, pass out, whatever, I'd just walk up and everyone would start screaming.

"Yes officer, he just walked up, vomited and went over the edge like a low value coin."
Old 10-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Charter Member
I have no patience with people who decide that signs don't apply to them. It's why many of the National Parks suffer annual irreparable damage. In nearly all of the parks and monuments I've visited (and it's significant), I've seen morons putting themselves and others at risk to get that special photo angle, meanwhile trampling local vegetation, causing further erosion, or actually damaging delicate structures (like the glory holes in Yellowstone, where fucking idiots throw coins).

I once saw some asshat out on a crumbling promontory in The Badlands. He picked up his girlfriend and began swinging her toward the edge, pretending he was going to throw her off. The material under his feet was unstable and it was only because somebody grabbed him to make him stop that there wasn't a serious or fatal accident.

I saw someone else at one of the many parks in the Southwest, who stepped over a railing in an area that was experiencing gusting winds, who then encouraged his girlfriend to walk out to the edge of the precipice so that he could take a photo. I had to turn away from that one.

The OP's little adventure was irresponsible.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Moderator Note

This is not the Pit, so let's dial back some of the outrage.
By all means, feel outraged if you want...but then you may be better off taking it to the Pit. This forum is not the place to make vitriol-filled sentences in, so let's ease up on the tone of some of the comments.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 10-20-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:47 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyElite View Post
I am so jealous - what a beautiful view! Were you at all nervous to be so terrible high up?
No nervous at all. As you could see, I was eating. The next video will include heart rate measurement.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:04 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I have no patience with people who decide that signs don't apply to them. It's why many of the National Parks suffer annual irreparable damage. In nearly all of the parks and monuments I've visited (and it's significant), I've seen morons putting themselves and others at risk to get that special photo angle, meanwhile trampling local vegetation, causing further erosion, or actually damaging delicate structures (like the glory holes in Yellowstone, where fucking idiots throw coins).
Yeah, I agree. Getting hit by those coins really hurts.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:15 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
If you watch the video you can clearly see that it was all solid rock. Not a single plant was trampled upon. No erosion caused. So what was hurt after all? Your sense of net worth?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:26 AM
Quote:
But there is no need to protect the Hanging Rock from you, right? You will not be able to get even close on your unsteady legs.

Why don't you take a shower and wash your pants?
This, coming from a person who uses those ridiculous poles for hiking. I saw the shadows......

By the way, which one are you? Hanz or Franz?

Last edited by Gatopescado; 10-21-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: I'm not wearing pants
Old 10-21-2014, 05:04 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Well, here is another sign in the park.

(spoiler: the sign is at the top of a waterfall, and says very bluntly:"if you slip, you will die".)
This is because water polishes its bed. So when the water is relatively low you will have to step on the rock which is underwater for part of a year and is, therefore, polished. People do not understand this. And they do not have that paralyzing fear of water as they have of heights.

Situation is entirely different with the hanging rock. No explanation is needed. The vast majority of people will not come anywhere close even without any forbidding signs.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:13 PM
BANNED
Quote:
This, coming from a person who uses those ridiculous poles for hiking. I saw the shadows......
What's wrong with hiking poles?

Quote:
I looked up the names and it turned out that the gentlemen ridiculed the geniuses, like yourself, for their feeble bodies. I brought up a different issue: your cowardice. This is entirely spiritual.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Moderator Notes

Quote:

Quote:
What's wrong with hiking poles?

I looked up the names and it turned out that the gentlemen ridiculed the geniuses, like yourself, for their feeble bodies. I brought up a different issue: your cowardice. This is entirely spiritual.

I've already made one mod note in here, so here it is again a bit more clearly: Knock off the jabs at each other, because I'm going to warn the next one made.

Take it to the Pit or PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:18 PM
I think it's a pretty cool video. I think it looks an awful lot like a nature valley granola bar commercial. "Find your trail" is the campaign, I think.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:54 PM
BANNED
A snack above the waterfall

Having a snack on the edge of a 500 feet rock by Nevada Falls in Yosemite.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8xiEZqwey6o
Old 10-27-2014, 07:58 PM
What is it with you and climbing over fences?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:45 PM
This is going to end with two park rangers having their coffee and saying "Some fucking dumbass hopped the fence, slipped and died. Now we've got to get a team together to do an Easter Egg Hunt to find his parts and clean up the mess."

Also, isn't there a rule against posting about committing crimes?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Charter Member
Dude start a blog. Or at least try to participate in threads that you didn't start yourself.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:32 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacoguy View Post
This is going to end with two park rangers having their coffee and saying "Some fucking dumbass hopped the fence, slipped and died. Now we've got to get a team together to do an Easter Egg Hunt to find his parts and clean up the mess."
So vengeful you are. What did the video do to you that you desire the death of its author?

Also what about this guys?

Galen Clark

http://yosemiteblog.com/2011/03/28/h...y-galen-clark/

John Muir

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacoguy View Post
Also, isn't there a rule against posting about committing crimes?
There is no law that forbids sitting on the edge of a 500 feet rock? So no crime. Just politically incorrect.

Michael Moore made many films which showed him and his friends trespassing and destroying property. The latter is a real crime. Why did not you protest?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:33 PM
A snack above the waterfall

Yeah, your last thread was read-only for me, but I echo Shakes. Are you going to start a new thread every time you break the law like this? Is part of why you do this the thrill of posting the video later and dealing with the outraged responses?

ETA: Not "breaking the law," then, but obviously not what park services would have you do. Why?

Last edited by joyfool; 10-27-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Quote:
So vengeful you are. What did the video do to you that you desire the death of its author?
I didn't say that I hoped you died; I merely predicted it.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Michael Moore made many films which showed him and his friends trespassing and destroying property. The latter is a real crime. Why did not you protest?
Whether one agrees with them or not, Moore's films at least had some point to them; guerrilla journalism, as it were. I fail to see a similar purpose in guerrilla snacking.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:05 PM
I took the liberty of passing on your links to the Yosemite park staff.
Closed Thread