Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Charter Member
Cerberus etymology?

From here:
Quote:
The name "Cerberus" is a Latinised version of the Greek Kerberos. The etymology of this name prior to Greek is disputed. It has been claimed to be related to the Sanskrit word सर्वरा sarvarā, used as an epithet of one of the dogs of Yama, from a Proto-Indo-European word *k̑Úrberos, meaning "spotted".
So... Hades, the god of the Underworld, named his dog 'Spot'?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Nice.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
From here:

So... Hades, the god of the Underworld, named his dog 'Spot'?
Yes. I've read this elsewhere.

In this famous Greek vase Kerberos isn't depicted as spotted, but the snakes attached to him* are.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...Z&fr=yfp-t-901

*Snakes are a common attribute of "underworld" figures. I know of no text that describes Kerberos as being covered by snakes, Medusa-like, but you can see it in depictions like this

┬ź Previous Thread | Next Thread ┬╗

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: saint albray cheese playbill magazine cheers vs frasier drano tub helicopter endurance pokeweed berries best harmonies charlie watts drum henry foots tlc quixstar products jewish oy cheer synonym ss members popeye and brutis doug mouser genna mystery kids movie tut suite pagan chaplain people with presence california cali natives are restless detective rank male fluffer burnt almond smell madam violet uk kemosabe meaning javelin spear kendy kloepfer pregnant cocksucker cap yankee term 1 seater couch leg indentation shin tts beatbox furry foxes intercollegiate meaning eustachian tube itch triangular bladed knife richard sher says you body hair by ethnicity natalie merchant verdi cries sub q fluids cat dosage can i pick up a package at the post office? contacts won't stick to eye how are scratch off tickets distributed do you need to refrigerate soy sauce what absorbency tampon should i use saint brendan's irish cream liqueur vs baileys good conduct ribbon air force the butterfly effect alternate ending little league baseball chants how to pronounce chaim walter payton over the top laptop charger different voltage what does the vapors mean bucket of prop wash clap to the beat can tonsil stones cause bleeding shaving pencil to stop bleeding when are celsius and fahrenheit the same buy old uhaul trailers caffeine doesn't wake me up cheap ways to heat above ground pool actor john mahoney married what do zoos do with dead elephants 17 years old songs how to fix a shower knob that won't turn off bubble bath in jetted tub the sound of music christmas best body wash for hard water how to engage blade on john deere riding mower how can animals drink dirty water