Old 11-18-2014, 10:57 AM
What is beeping in my bedroom? Surge protector?

For the last two years, I've heard an occasional beep in my room, while laying in bed. The beep is not continuous nor does it happen very often. In fact, I've only heard it about five or six times in two years.
At first I thought it was me dreaming or imagining it, but then I heard it a few times when I was wide awake and just lying there. it's a very faint beep and it's only one, so it's hard to track down the source of it when you never know when it will happen again.

Now...I don't have a lot of things in my room that can beep. That's the thing of it, I don't really have ANYTHING in my room that can beep. I don't even have a radio or clock in there. What I do have is a bed, blanket, lamp, two box fans and that's it. So what on earth can be beeping?

I know it's not coming from outside, because I have all the windows shut and this beeping is right next to me.
It last happened just a few minutes ago. This time I heard two or three beeps in short order and from the same spot they always come from, to the left of me.

Thinking about what was over there, I came to the conclusion that it can only be one thing. The surge protector that both box fans are plugged into.

So I searched "Surge protector" and "beeping"...and..yes, they can beep...
..when the battery is low...
But mine doesn't run on batteries, it's plugged into the wall.

It also says a surge protector can beep if there are power overloads, but that it would be one, long beep...and this isn't a long beep, it's a short one.

Anyway, long story short, I can't see how it's anything other than the surge protector, but I don't know why that would beep. I didn't even know it was possible for it to beep before today.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 11-18-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Have you checked throughout the house for dying batteries in your CO or smoke detectors? I would hear the one in our basement beeping from the 3rd floor of the house, and it took a while to track down.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:23 AM
It's not the smoke detector, I just changed the battery in that two weeks ago (and that beep is very loud when the battery is low). Tested it after I put the battery in and it works fine.

This beep is coming from the left of me, which, there's only the two fans, the surge protector, and my bedroom window.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Any odd boxes attached to the wall outside the window? Maybe the battery's dying in the surveillance package.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 AM
No. I live in an apartment and outside my window is just a walkway to get to another (just one) apartment next to mine.

But I have my window closed and the sound the two fans make pretty much drown any other sound out (including if my phone rings, in the living room or if someone knocks on my door. If I can't hear those things, I'm not going to hear anything outside my closed window)...the only sound the fans don't drown out is the beep, because that's right next to me, somewhere, to my immediate left.

I mean, it's GOT to be the surge protector. There is no other thing it can be. Not to mention surge protectors can beep, as I found out today. So, really, the question is more "Why is my surge protector beeping?"

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 11-18-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Why do you have a surge protector? Are your box fans particularly valuable?
Old 11-18-2014, 12:09 PM
No, it's just to have more outlets. I only have one in my room, but need an outlet for the fans and the lamp. I had other things plugged in as well, in the past, but right now those are the only three things.

Never know when I might need to plug something else in in there, though.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Charter Member
Surge protectors and outlet strips normally don't make any noise at all. For comparision, a UPS will make noise, primarily when the power's out and it's running on battery. Some will also beep if the power dips or spikes briefly. You'd know if you had a UPS as they're roughly shoebox-sized and heavy.

If you look up the model name/number of your outlet strip, you should be able to see if it does have any ability to make noise.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Just possibly - the remote receiver for a ceiling fan or light? They tuck away in the base/box and might have been there for years. Occasional line hiccups, faults or a very distant remote signal might make it beep.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Charter Member
The surge protector might beep to indicate it's battery is weak. Not discharged, since the power is still on, but telling you that it's nearing the end of its service life & now has little capacity. It'd be stupid easy to see if that's the source of your noise; just unplug it from the wall and look / listen for how it signals a loss of power.

Since you live in an apartment, you might be hearing a beep coming from some other unit. Yes, you think the fans drown out all noise. But probably not 100% of it. So somebody 3 apartments away has a beeping something that sometimes you can just barely hear.

Depending on random factors, the pipes or conduits in the walls can conduct sound better than the air between your bedroom and your living room. So the fact the fans mask noises from your own living room is not proof positive that they mask 100% of all noises from all sources.

Another question: Is your hearing normal? And normal for what age?
Old 11-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Have you checked throughout the house for dying batteries in your CO or smoke detectors?
This was my thought. When one was intermittently beeping in my apartment, I mis-identified the room it was coming from. Either that or an Annoy-o-Tron.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Charter Member
Another thought ...

Somebody posted a similar thread a few years ago. They eventually dug carefully through all the drawers in the nightstand beside their bed. And buried in all the clutter was a wristwatch which beeped weakly every few hours to signal that its battery was almost dead.

I suggest the OP dig through all the drawers in the bedroom looking for forgotten things with batteries.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 PM
The surge protector would be easy to test. Move it and see if the sound moves with it, the next time you hear it. Have you tried unplugging it to see if you can get it to beep?

Something with batteries would still be my guess, though. Batteries make a little less power when they are cold, so they'll first signal they're low in the very early morning, when your house is coldest. You checked the smoke detector, but are you sure you only have one? Or that you don't have a CO detector?
Old 11-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Just possibly - the remote receiver for a ceiling fan or light? They tuck away in the base/box and might have been there for years. Occasional line hiccups, faults or a very distant remote signal might make it beep.
I don't have a ceiling fan in my apartment, though.

I have a lamp in my bedroom, that plugs into the outlet, it's not an overhead one (there is no overhead one, nor ones on any of the walls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
The surge protector might beep to indicate it's battery is weak. Not discharged, since the power is still on, but telling you that it's nearing the end of its service life & now has little capacity. It'd be stupid easy to see if that's the source of your noise; just unplug it from the wall and look / listen for how it signals a loss of power.
I don't keep a battery in it, but it doesn't really matter...the beeping happens so rarely and inconsistently that I have no idea when it will happen again. It's gone months in between me hearing it, so I'm not sure unplugging it would do anything, but I'll try it. : ) Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll also try..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
If you look up the model name/number of your outlet strip, you should be able to see if it does have any ability to make noise.
Thank you for this info.

Quote:
Since you live in an apartment, you might be hearing a beep coming from some other unit. Yes, you think the fans drown out all noise. But probably not 100% of it. So somebody 3 apartments away has a beeping something that sometimes you can just barely hear.
This just isn't it...trust me. And this also answers your later question about my hearing, my hearing is very good. I'm 34 years old.
You can tell when a sound is coming from right next to you. This beep is in my room. There is no question about that. It's in my room, for sure. In fact, it's very close by and it's to the left of me....and the only things that are to the left of me are two fans, the closed window, and the surge protector. I doubt the fans are beeping.

Quote:
Another thought ...

Somebody posted a similar thread a few years ago. They eventually dug carefully through all the drawers in the nightstand beside their bed. And buried in all the clutter was a wristwatch which beeped weakly every few hours to signal that its battery was almost dead.

I suggest the OP dig through all the drawers in the bedroom looking for forgotten things with batteries.
I don't have any drawers in my bedroom and I don't own anything that operates on batteries other than the smoke alarm.
In my bedroom there are four things (five if you include the surge protector that the things are plugged into): Two fans, a lamp, and a bed. That is it. I don't have any compartments to keep anything. I don't even have a table for the lamp to go on. I don't own any watches. There's not even a clock or radio in my bedroom. I have one clock and that's out in the living room, but it doesn't make any noise, it just tells time. It doesn't have an alarm on it or radio or anything.

I really do appreciate the suggestions, though...but a lot of the things don't really apply to me since I don't own things like that.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 11-18-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Another thought ...

You just reminded me of a Facebook post... "My girlfriend asked me why I'm always armed around the house. 'Decepticons,' I said. My girlfriend laughed. I laughed. The toaster laughed. I shot the toaster. It was a good time."
Old 11-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
There's not even a clock or radio in my bedroom.
How do you know when to wake up? Or what time it is when you DO wake up?
Old 11-18-2014, 01:35 PM
This is a complete wild guess, but - since you ONLY hear it in bed - could it be coming from literally right beside you? In other words, a twinge of the bed springs? Mine occasionally make a noise that sounds like one ring of the phone (a short 'twirp').
Old 11-18-2014, 01:40 PM
This doesn't really have anything to do with my question or the topic, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
How do you know when to wake up? Or what time it is when you DO wake up?
1. I don't ever need to be up at a certain time.
2. I don't care what time it is when I wake up.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misling View Post
This is a complete wild guess, but - since you ONLY hear it in bed - could it be coming from literally right beside you? In other words, a twinge of the bed springs? Mine occasionally make a noise that sounds like one ring of the phone (a short 'twirp').
No, this is more of an electronic beep. This morning's beeps were all the same tone, save for the last one, which was a bit higher pitched.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
It's the signal to change the batteries in the manager's hidden bedroom cam.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Quote:
This doesn't really have anything to do with my question or the topic, but...

1. I don't ever need to be up at a certain time.
2. I don't care what time it is when I wake up.
Not really topic related, but I was just curious. Thought you might say cell phone or something. I've just never heard of anyone having ONLY what you describe in a room - no clothing, no books, no jewelry, no papers or anything.

do the fans have electronic switches or manual?
Old 11-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Disconnect the surge protector and unplug everything. Then... listen, reconnect your stuff one at a time until you find it. Shouldn't be that hard.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Another thought ...

i had a watch i didn't use much in a drawer. it had a mode where it beeped on the hour (a mode i never used in real life). it was doing that and i heard it every so often. drove me nuts until i found it.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Quote:
At first I thought it was me dreaming or imagining it, but then I heard it a few times when I was wide awake and just lying there.
Are you sure? You could have been dreaming you were awake, and hallucinations right around sleeping/waking make you believe anything. I thought I was awake the other day and would have sworn someone said "Gwen" from behind me. And there's no one there.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeinva View Post
Disconnect the surge protector and unplug everything. Then... listen, reconnect your stuff one at a time until you find it. Shouldn't be that hard.
Well, that would be my approach, too. Except that it's only happened "five or six times in two years," so there could be a lot of waiting involved. Personally, I would just get an extension cord or whatnot and move the surge protector to the right of where I'm sleeping (as the OP states he always hears it to the left) if I can't find anything definitive about that model of surge protector beeping from the internet. But the surge protector is a reasonable guess at this point.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:54 PM
let's not discount brain issues.

i've heard of people hearing of feeling (silent mode) their cell phone when they are definitely without the device.

your brain may fake a sensation on occasion.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Charter Member
Have you checked under the bed?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post
l
i've heard of people hearing of feeling (silent mode) their cell phone when they are definitely without the device.
Yep, that sort of ghost ringing happens to me all the time, especially since I never have my phone on audible ring mode, so I expect vibrating rings.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:00 PM
Quote:

This just isn't it...trust me. And this also answers your later question about my hearing, my hearing is very good. I'm 34 years old.
You can tell when a sound is coming from right next to you.
Not necessarily. If the sound is echoing off a wall or piece of furniture, it can sound like it's coming from a completely different direction from where it actually is. Even - no, not just even - especially if your hearing is very good. I've been in acoustically designed rooms where someone behind you and clear across a large oval shaped room sounded like an invisible person right in front of your nose.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Charter Member
Do you have a smartphone?

When an Amber Alert is generated and I don't address it right away, the phone will beep periodically until the alert is addressed by me and disabled. There have been a couple of times I've heard an slow, incessant beeping in the middle of the night, only to find an Amber Alert was issued. And with my phone downstairs I would periodically fainly hear the beep.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Charter Member
Is there a room above your bedroom? Storage space?
Old 11-18-2014, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
Do you have a smartphone?

When an Amber Alert is generated and I don't address it right away, the phone will beep periodically until the alert is addressed by me and disabled. There have been a couple of times I've heard an slow, incessant beeping in the middle of the night, only to find an Amber Alert was issued. And with my phone downstairs I would periodically fainly hear the beep.
That happens to me with any voice mail on my cell phone. If I get one, my phone will beep once in a great while. As Doug K. mentioned, even though it sounds like it's coming from one particular location, it might not be.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:22 PM
I don't own any kind of cell or mobile phone. I only have one landline, and that's in the living room.

I don't have an "under the bed", my mattress is directly on the floor. No boxspring or legs.

I'm 100 percent sure I didn't dream it or imagine it.

I'm 100 percent sure it's in my bedroom and not in the walls, outside, or from anywhere else.

I'm 99.9 percent sure it's the Power Strip/Surge Protector.
If you google "Surge Protector" and "beeping", you get a lot of "Why is my surge protector beeping".

So...in my mind, if I'm hearing a beeping, and it's coming from an area where I have a surge protector, and it's possible for surge protectors to beep...it just seems to me like that's probably it, which is why I posted earlier that it's probably more of a "Why is my surge protector beeping?" rather than a "What is beeping?"

Yeah, I could just unplug it and see if it stops, but considering the time between beeps, I'm not sure it would help figure if that was it.

But anyway, it doesn't really matter too much, because it doesn't bother me. I was just curious about it and wondered why it would beep at all. From what I've found online via Google, I'm going to just assume it's due to power spikes or drops..which I've read (on a few sites) can make it beep (although, not the type of beeping I'm hearing).

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 11-18-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Why not disconnect the surge protector and open it up? Even if you know nothing about consumer electronics, just post a picture of the guts and people here will be able to tell if there's a device to emit sound in it.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:39 PM
Can you either post a picture of the surge protector, or give us the model information? Most of the time when people mention a surge protector, it's a power strip of some sort. I've never seen one of them that beeps. The similar thing that beeps is normally called an uninteruptable power supply.

Both can provide extra electrical outlets. One (the one that normally beeps) has a battery inline to allow for power when there is no wall power (outage or unplugged).

If you have the second one - the UPS - then it may be beeping because it senses a momentary glitch in the power to the apartment. The beep is a notification that you are on battery power. Then it shuts off, because it was just a glitch. This can be simulated, as mentioned above, by unplugging it from the wall briefly. If it beeps, then you have your answer. (While it's unplugged..do your fans still work?)
Old 11-18-2014, 10:01 PM
I had a similar problem, in that when I turned the lights on in my bedroom something would set off a series of beeps. This happened once or twice a day tops.

By a process of elimination I became convinced it was the surge protector. It had a tv, bluray player, old dvd player and a vcr plugged in. I disconnected the latter two - and the beeping stopped.

I can't be 100% sure, and I couldn't find a manual for that model to see under what circumstances it might beep. But I can't see how it could be anything else.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Whole bunches of modern electronic devices go beep in the night.

And a great many of them use some kind of beep generator that produces a square wave sound instead of a smooth sine wave.

It's a characteristic of square wave sounds that your ears can't figure out which direction they are coming from. Your ears detect the direction of a sound by taking note of the phase shift between the left ear and the right ear. That doesn't work with square waves.

One result is that a loud beep coming from some distance away might well sound like a faint beep that is originating right there in the room near you. So, just another possibility among all those that have been already mentioned: It's actually a louder beep coming from outside somewhere that you hear as a fainter beep that sounds nearby.

An anecdote: I worked on a project for a few years that involved training dolphins, and heard this story from a time before I started there: They used some kind of a beeper to train dolphins to approach various objects in their pool. The plan was: First, train the dolphin to approach the beeper whenever they hear it. Then, put the beeper near some other object, and beep, and the dolphin will approach that objects. Then, train the dolphin to approach the object on some particular cue without the beeper. (It's a rather standard animal training technique called "target training"; using a beeper is just a variation on that.)

Well, it didn't work at first. The dolphins wouldn't approach the beeper. They just swam wildly around instead. It was finally figured out that the beepers were producing a square wave beep, and the dolphins couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:01 PM
The United Kingdom recently changed the backup beeping signal for big commercial vehicles. They changed from the high frequency beep to a longer pulsing buzzing noise. They did this for a few reasons. One it is easier to locate a longer broad frequency pulse than a short high frequency beep. Two the high frequency beeps carry farther to where people are just irritated by the noise but not so near that they need to avoid the trucks.

The point being that short beeps are really hard to figure out where they are coming from. So I sympathize with the OP it is really hard to figure out the source of an infrequent beep.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:24 AM
Since this is an "everybody gets a shot" thread:

Move the pillow and covers. put your head where your feet are now.

Does the sound still come from the left? If it is something physical, it will be on your right.

If your ears/otic nerve are having some fun with your mind, it will come from your left.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:40 AM
For $2.49, you can get a 6-outlet multi-tap connecter to replace your UPS/surge protecter/power strip. (Home Depot has this one.) That's a lot cheaper & easier than spending any more time worrying & posting about this.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:37 AM
I will add one additional possibility : fans can sometimes squeak. It's almost indistinguishable from some kinds of electronic beeps.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
... And a great many of them use some kind of beep generator that produces a square wave sound instead of a smooth sine wave.
It was finally figured out that the beepers were producing a square wave beep, and the dolphins couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
Similar anecdote. ...

Back in the late 1980s I worked in an open-plan office with no partitions. There were 6 desks in a 20x30' room with 6 old-fashioned Ma Bell multi-line rotary dial phones with mechanical ringers. One fine day they replaced the ancient electromechanical phone switch system with Centrex and the desk sets with then-modern single line desk sets whose ringing sound was an electronic beeping.

It was flat impossible to tell whose phone was ringing. Often you couldn't even tell the difference between yours vs. somebody else's unless you stuck your ear next to your instrument.

After some reprogramming we managed to get distinctive ringers or rings on most of them. But it was hella vexatious until we did.

Bottom line: A lot of electronic sounds simply cannot reliably be located in space by healthy human hearing.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Bottom line: A lot of electronic sounds simply cannot reliably be located in space by healthy human hearing.
I had the same deal trying to figure out this intermittent beeping for three days in my house. There was some vague regularity to it, but I couldn't quite figure out the interval. I was convinced it was coming from my house. I'd stand in all my rooms, waiting for that infernal beep, only to think it's coming from another room. Then I'd go to another room, and it would sound like it was coming from the room I last was in. It was driving me absolutely batty. One day, I finally figured it out. It was coming from a house two doors down (it was in the summer, windows open), and seemed to be a smoke alarm "battery low" beep from some neighbors who were out of town. Sanity restored.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Quote:
I'm 99.9 percent sure it's the Power Strip/Surge Protector.
If it is a surge protector, then it does not have batteries and does not have a beeper. Most assume a surge protector and a UPS are same. They are clearly and intentionally misinformed by advertising that will say anything to increase sales and profits. Clearly a protector and UPS are completely different; do completely different functions.

If what you have (called a surge protector) is really a UPS, then fans must not be powered by it. A UPS outputs 'dirty' power that is ideal for all electronics. And can be potentially harmful to motorized appliances.

A failing smoke detector will beep once rarely - with or without new batteries. Over many months or years, beeping will occur more often.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
I hear faint beeps every so often while I'm lying in bed. I always assume they are someone's somethingorother beeping outside. I don't live in an apartment, but in detached house on a half-acre plot, surrounded by the same. Not all sounds travel but something at beep frequency might make it to me.

Just because you have windows shut doesn't mean you can't hear outside noises. How it's getting to be next to you, I don't know. But when everything is silent (presumably that's the case when you're lying in bed?)....you can hear beeps from outside.

Or at least I can.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Now and again I can hear a tock, tock, tock sound in my bedroom at night. It lasts a few seconds each time and sounds mechanical. I don't any wind-up clocks and my battery powered watch makes a tick sound every second.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungfish View Post
Now and again I can hear a tock, tock, tock sound in my bedroom at night. It lasts a few seconds each time and sounds mechanical. I don't any wind-up clocks and my battery powered watch makes a tick sound every second.
This could just be your house flexing. During the day, your house and especially attic heat up, then cool down overnight. That causes stresses in the wood framing, and can cause those ticks and tocks as the parts move tiny amounts.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungfish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBeam View Post
This could just be your house flexing. During the day, your house and especially attic heat up, then cool down overnight. That causes stresses in the wood framing, and can cause those ticks and tocks as the parts move tiny amounts.
also heating/cooling system and plumbing can make these noises. heating causes expansion which rubs against house and clamps/supports.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Hey - nobody's suggest mice? They squeak!