Old 01-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Is putting a magnet on outside of microwave safe?

I have three sharp knives that live in my silverware drawer. So far I haven't sliced a finger while retrieving a knife.

A solution would be to put three small self-adhesive magnets on the side of the micro and stick the knives there.

Small kitchen, limited counter space, don't want to nuke myself or cause an explosion, which would frighten the dog.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Charter Member
Other than possibly scratching the finish, I can't see why it would be a problem. There's a magnet on the inside you know.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:26 PM
if your mic has a turntable … the vibration emanating therein could cause your knives to slowly lower down … finally slipping off the magnet completely. and are those utensils safe anyway? pets can jump onto counter-tops … same for kids. if something does happen … you would never forgive yourself.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by albino_manatee View Post
if your mic has a turntable … the vibration emanating therein could cause your knives to slowly lower down … finally slipping off the magnet completely. and are those utensils safe anyway? pets can jump onto counter-tops … same for kids. if something does happen … you would never forgive yourself.

That seems pretty over the top, IMO. Folks have been using wall-mounted magnetic knife racks for decades. Kids & dogs can knock over a knife block too if they try.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Is putting a magnet on outside of microwave safe?

Why on Earth wouldn't it be safe?

The microwaves are contained within the oven: hence door interlocks and stuff.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 PM
the microwaves bounce around and are used in the inside oven compartment.

the outside enclosure is a further safety measure.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Thank you. I thought it'd be ok, but input from minds smarter than mine is reassuring. I have no kids and the dog can't reach the counter without a trampoline.

My grandparents, with whom I spent many summers, never trusted "the 'lectric." I guess some of that rubbed off on me. ;-)
Old 01-09-2015, 01:07 AM
If the magnet is placed anywhere near the electronics of the oven -- in particular, near the magnetron -- would it affect the behavior?
Old 01-11-2015, 09:41 AM
To hold the knives I think you need strong enough magnets which will probably affect the microwave. I would recommend you to stick the magnets to wall.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:08 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
If the magnet is placed anywhere near the electronics of the oven -- in particular, near the magnetron -- would it affect the behavior?
It could but it would have to be a very strong magnet.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:17 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswang View Post
To hold the knives I think you need strong enough magnets which will probably affect the microwave.
By what mechanism would a magnet of this size affect the operation of the oven?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:28 PM
A suitably strong magnet could steer the beam into a different than anticipated location within the microwave. However, shortly after the magnetron aperture is a fan with metal blades that serves to bounce the beam around the inside of the oven. So, would this beam steering have any notable impact, probably not. The magnet would also have to be in extreme proximity to the aperture and be very strong. So strong that the magnet itself would probably pose more of a hazard than any side effects the magnet would have on the oven itself.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronbee View Post
A suitably strong magnet could steer the beam into a different than anticipated location within the microwave.
Magnetic fields do not steer electromagnetic radiation.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:13 PM
BANNED
A large enough magnet could affect the transformer, it could also affect or slow down any rotating or moving metal, even non magnetic metal.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vomit_comet View Post
A large enough magnet could affect the transformer, it could also affect or slow down any rotating or moving metal, even non magnetic metal.
We're talking about sticking a magnet to the exterior of the housing.

If the magnet sticks, the housing is ferromagnetic and acts as shielding.

So no, unless it's a bleeding powerful "OMG You'll kill yourself" magnet, no. It's not going to affect the interior. And if it is one of those magnets, I'd be more worried about how I'd pry the knives back off the magnet.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:07 PM
The main thing I'd be concerned with is noise. Microwaves tend to rattle a bit--putting something next to them makes it a lot louder. Every time my microwave makes a funny noise, I find there's a glass touching it or something. Move the glass, the noise stops.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:36 PM
It's just a 1" or so square magnet; three of them total. Like I should really be worrying about a 14 year old one temperature microwave, anyway.

Thanks, y'all.

ยซ Previous Thread | Next Thread ยป