Old 02-21-2015, 11:57 PM
Annotated MST3k

So being bored tonight I thought, I'd love to watch a movie. In the mood for a comedy I brought up the YouTube knowing that episodes of MST3K are on it. What I did not know however was that they have official episodes with annotations which explain each joke they make!

It's not only a lot of fun, but I never realized that they just pack these things full of obscure/esoteric trivia and facts.

Thought I'd let everyone know because I'm having a ball with it
Old 02-22-2015, 12:19 AM
Charter Member
Awesome! I did not know that. Off to Youtube.... Thanks!
Old 02-22-2015, 12:24 AM
born to be shunned
Well, there goes the rest of the night.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:07 AM
https://youtube.com/user/mst3kofficial/
Quote:
Watch the annotated episodes explaining all the jokes, then lie to your friends about how knowledgeable you are!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:01 AM
As someone who tends to prefer when the movies themselves are somewhat interesting, which would be the best for me to watch? I understand Manos, for example, is really hard to watch...
Old 02-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
As someone who tends to prefer when the movies themselves are somewhat interesting, which would be the best for me to watch? I understand Manos, for example, is really hard to watch...
"The Magic Sword" is a reasonable one in its own right.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
"The Magic Sword" is a reasonable one in its own right.
That doesn't appear to be one of the choices. I only see four full movies with annotations: Laserblast, Soultaker, Manos, and Mitchell.

BTW, if none of them are all that interesting to watch, then the one with the most jokes (and thus the most annotations) would be the one I'd want.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
That doesn't appear to be one of the choices. I only see four full movies with annotations: Laserblast, Soultaker, Manos, and Mitchell.

BTW, if none of them are all that interesting to watch, then the one with the most jokes (and thus the most annotations) would be the one I'd want.
Oh, of the annotated choices. Hmm. I dunno. "Mitchell" was the first MST3K I've ever watched (and what hooked me on it), and, while a bad film, I didn't find it completely unwatchable, but I don't mind crappy 70s films for at least camp value. The whole premise of MST3K is that Mike or Joel & the Robots are forced to watch bad movies deliberately for the villains' nefarious plans, so you're not going to find any "good" movies in the mix. Their comedic riffing is a coping mechanism to keep their sanity after being forced to watch bad B-movie after bad B-movie.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-22-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Charter Member
What you're looking for is probably better satisfied by RiffTrax, but I don't know of any annotated versions of those.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Oh, of the annotated choices. Hmm. I dunno. "Mitchell" was the first MST3K I've ever watched (and what hooked me on it), and, while a bad film, I didn't find it completely unwatchable, but I don't mind crappy 70s films for at least camp value. The whole premise of MST3K is that Mike or Joel & the Robots are forced to watch bad movies deliberately for the villains' nefarious plans, so you're not going to find any "good" movies in the mix. Their comedic riffing is a coping mechanism to keep their sanity after being forced to watch bad B-movie after bad B-movie.
I said "interesting" to watch, not "good." What you've described of "Mitchel" sounds like what I'm looking for.

I've seen other MST3K stuff. I just find that I like it better when what's on screen is actually interesting, and I'm not relying the robots and Mike and Joel to hold my attention throughout--though granted a lot of that is because the jokes are too obscure, so maybe this will fix that.

The ones I've loved off the top of my head are this one where the teenagers turn giant, one about some superhero that flies/falls diagonally, and something about Mrs. B-flat or something. And Santa Clause vs. the Martians. Those were all interesting enough on their own to hold my attention, with the bots just making it more enjoyable.

Last edited by BigT; 02-22-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:40 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I said "interesting" to watch, not "good." What you've described of "Mitchel" sounds like what I'm looking for.

I've seen other MST3K stuff. I just find that I like it better when what's on screen is actually interesting, and I'm not relying the robots and Mike and Joel to hold my attention throughout--though granted a lot of that is because the jokes are too obscure, so maybe this will fix that.

The ones I've loved off the top of my head are this one where the teenagers turn giant, one about some superhero that flies/falls diagonally, and something about Mrs. B-flat or something. And Santa Clause vs. the Martians. Those were all interesting enough on their own to hold my attention, with the bots just making it more enjoyable.
Sounds like "Village of the Giants", "The Puma Man", and "Mr. B Natural"

Last edited by MacTech; 02-22-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:34 PM
The channel seems to be really new, like within the last 2 weeks new.

So I hit the subscribe button and I think that more and more videos will be updated as time goes on
Old 02-22-2015, 08:16 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I said "interesting" to watch, not "good."
It's hard for me to gauge what someone might find interesting. I think "Soultaker" might be a good one, too. The basic plot centers around an angel of death chasing around some not-quite-dead teenagers after a car accident to take their souls to the afterlife or something (it's not really well fleshed out and explained in the movie.) It could have been a decent movie if the screenplay was polished, edited, and more developed.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:40 AM
All four are good episodes, but Laserblast and Mitchell are both amongst my favorites.