Old 04-24-2015, 02:07 AM
Charter Member
Why no root beer drink mix?

I consume a lot of drink mix, mostly sugar free.

When I was a kid a lot of companies made a root beer flavor. They weren't sugar free but they were good.

Today you can get any flavor you want, sugar or sugar free, but not root beer. Why not?
Old 04-24-2015, 02:11 AM
because it tastes exactly like pepto bismol
Old 04-24-2015, 02:15 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical1 View Post
because it tastes exactly like pepto bismol
No it didn't.

You're thinking of Birch Beer which tastes like root beer mixed with Pepto and transmission fluid. Sick, but I like BB. It's an acquired taste for sure. But I don't recall it ever being available in a powdered drink mix.

When I was a kid there was Wylers, Kool Aid, Flavor Aid, Funny Face, Aunt Wicks, etc.. And they all made a root beer drink mix. Now I can't find a single brand that does.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:52 AM
In the spice isle of a super market you may find a bottle of root beer extract. Looks like a mini bottle. Will make five gallons of root beer. Use a few drops for a glass. You will have to add a sweetener.

In a previous life, we would add the extract, water, sugar, and yeast (to make it fizzy). Bottle and cap it. It was fizzy in one month. In modern times, people would add dry ice for instant carbonation.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:52 AM
My guess is it wasn't very popular because it tasted like a completely flat root beer. I think decades ago this wasn't so much a problem because there still existed people who generationally hadn't been basically raised on carbonation as the norm. But after the seventies or so this stopped being the case.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:19 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
My guess is it wasn't very popular because it tasted like a completely flat root beer. I think decades ago this wasn't so much a problem because there still existed people who generationally hadn't been basically raised on carbonation as the norm. But after the seventies or so this stopped being the case.
That would have been my guess, too. A cola-flavored drink mix would sound odd to me for exactly the same reason.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:12 AM
My older brother used to make root beer, using an extract from Hires. It used yeast to provide the carbonation. It was pretty good.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
That would have been my guess, too. A cola-flavored drink mix would sound odd to me for exactly the same reason.
That's one of the odd things about cola flavor: it just doesn't taste that good in any context that doesn't have carbonation.

I am sure there's someone out there who loves flat cola, but in general, even cold, fresh but flat cokes just taste... sickly sweet and "off." Flat root beer is at least tolerable.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:18 AM
I was addicted to root beer Kool Aid and still look for it. I think a lot of people gave up on it because it wasn't all that great freshly made. The next day it was delicious. Until production of root beer Kool Aid is resumed, I simulate it by buying the cheap store brand root beer pop and defizzifying it. Much better flat, poured over crushed ice.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:32 AM
flat root beer wasn't popular.

homemade root beer is great. watch it so that you don't let it over carbonate.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:23 AM
When I read the thread title I assumed it was asking why there are no alcoholic mixed drinks made with Root Beer. I can't think of any either.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRojelio View Post
When I read the thread title I assumed it was asking why there are no alcoholic mixed drinks made with Root Beer. I can't think of any either.
I Google search yields some interesting choices....

I had an old Mr Boston's bartender guidebook that had a root-beer flavored drink that used a combination of lots of different liqueurs such as bitters, anise, orange, vanilla, etc. I tried to make it once, but it was strangely, well, strange. And strong! I'll have to see if I can dig up the book.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:00 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
I think a lot of people gave up on it because it wasn't all that great freshly made. The next day it was delicious.
The other thing the others on this thread don't realize is, the root beer Kook Ade made GREAT homemade popsickals. And with summer coming up it's on my mind!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
The other thing the others on this thread don't realize is, the root beer Kook Ade made GREAT homemade popsickals. And with summer coming up it's on my mind!
Wasn't there a recipe for root beer fudge on some of the envelopes?
Old 04-24-2015, 01:18 PM
I preferred the Root Beer Kool-Aid over some of their other flavors, but that doesn't mean much. Searching on the subject it appears to have been a 70s thing, and that's where I remember it from. We had the Wyler's mix. It had something in it that made it foamy. I tried making it with soda water one time and it produced a volcano of root beer foam. The flavor was weak though, and it needs real carbonation to be appealing. I made real root beer once from extract. It was ok, not worth all the trouble. We get IBC Root Beer around here, still in the glass bottles. It's nice to have one of those once in a while on a hot day.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:06 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
We had the Wyler's mix. It had something in it that made it foamy.
it was a 50's/60's/70's thing. Last I remember it was sparsely available in the 80's.
The Wylers seemed to be the only one that foamed up much. Yeast? Carbonate?
Old 04-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Quote:
it was a 50's/60's/70's thing. Last I remember it was sparsely available in the 80's.
The Wylers seemed to be the only one that foamed up much. Yeast? Carbonate?
Maybe some carbonate and something that increased the surface tension. I don't think yeast could react that quickly.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Charter Member
wiki: In 1960, safrole, the aromatic oil found in sassafras roots and bark that gave traditional root beer its distinctive flavour was banned for commercially mass-produced foods and drugs by the FDA in 1960.[8] Laboratory animals that were given oral doses of sassafras tea or sassafras oil that contained large doses of safrole developed permanent liver damage or various types of cancer.[8] While sassafras is no longer used in commercially-produced root beer and is sometimes substituted with artificial flavors, natural extracts with the safrole distilled and removed are available.[9][10]

I have seen alcoholic Root beer in a bottle just once, but alcoholic Ginger Beer is now at BevMo in two brands.

Last edited by DrDeth; 04-24-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
That's one of the odd things about cola flavor: it just doesn't taste that good in any context that doesn't have carbonation.

I am sure there's someone out there who loves flat cola, but in general, even cold, fresh but flat cokes just taste... sickly sweet and "off." Flat root beer is at least tolerable.
Yes. Root beer is my favorite drink, by far. I can finish off any other soda once it goes flat, but the place for flat cola, including root beer, is down the drain. It needs carbonation to fulfill its potential.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRojelio View Post
There is, however, a root beer flavored liquor
Old 04-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Yes. Root beer is my favorite drink, by far. I can finish off any other soda once it goes flat, but the place for flat cola, including root beer, is down the drain. It needs carbonation to fulfill its potential.
Root beer is not a cola. What made you think it was, out of curiosity?
Old 04-24-2015, 04:20 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
wiki: In 1960, safrole, the aromatic oil found in sassafras roots and bark that gave traditional root beer its distinctive flavour was banned for commercially mass-produced foods and drugs by the FDA in 1960.[8] Laboratory animals that were given oral doses of sassafras tea or sassafras oil that contained large doses of safrole developed permanent liver damage or various types of cancer.[8] While sassafras is no longer used in commercially-produced root beer and is sometimes substituted with artificial flavors, natural extracts with the safrole distilled and removed are available.[9][10]

I have seen alcoholic Root beer in a bottle just once, but alcoholic Ginger Beer is now at BevMo in two brands.
I doubt this is the answer to my question. Root beer drink mix was still available in the 80's.

You need to hit the liquor stores more often. There are tons of root beer schnaps, brandies, whiskeys, and beers available.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I doubt this is the answer to my question. Root beer drink mix was still available in the 80's.

You need to hit the liquor stores more often. There are tons of root beer schnaps, brandies, whiskeys, and beers available.
Yes, root beer flavored liqueurs. I have only seen a Alcoholic Root Beer once.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I have only seen a Alcoholic Root Beer once.
?? There has to be a base.

Are you suggesting taking already made root beer and adding yeast and fermenting it?

Mad man!!
Old 04-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
?? There has to be a base.

Are you suggesting taking already made root beer and adding yeast and fermenting it?

Mad man!!
True- I am mad.

Two ways we coudl do this- add grain alcohol to a good brewed root beer.

Or, make a beer that has various RB flavorings so that it would be a beer with a lot of RB "notes' and flavors.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:08 PM
I remember root beer Fizzies from when I was a kid. Do they even make Fizzies anymore?
Old 04-24-2015, 07:32 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I remember root beer Fizzies from when I was a kid. Do they even make Fizzies anymore?
Yes. Although I've seen features on the web "things your kids will never do" that included trying Fizzies, they are simply incorrect. I saw Fizzies for sale at the Woodmans this past Tuesday. They had root beer, orange, and Blue Raspberry.
When we had them they never dissolved right and were really disappointing.

Quote:
Or, make a beer that has various RB flavorings so that it would be a beer with a lot of RB "notes' and flavors.
Like this?

I like Sprecher root beer.
I like Sprecher beer.
But I didn't care for their hard root beer all that much.
Had it on tap at the Sprecher Brewery last week.

http://ratebeer.com/beer/beername/327027/

Last edited by pkbites; 04-24-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:58 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Yes. Although I've seen features on the web "things your kids will never do" that included trying Fizzies, they are simply incorrect. I saw Fizzies for sale at the Woodmans this past Tuesday. They had root beer, orange, and Blue Raspberry.
When we had them they never dissolved right and were really disappointing.

Like this?

I like Sprecher root beer.
I like Sprecher beer.
But I didn't care for their hard root beer all that much.
Had it on tap at the Sprecher Brewery last week.

http://ratebeer.com/beer/beername/327027/
Yeah, there's one making the rounds in Chicago now too, by Small Town Brewery. Bottled, it's available at 5.9% and 10%. I have to say, it's pretty damned good for what it is. If you want a decent root beer (or I guess more a traditional beer brewed with root beer botanicals) with an alcoholic punch, this is definitely worth trying. (That said, it's not really a drink for me, as I like my alcoholic drinks on the non-sweet side.)
Old 04-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell;18315354there's one making the rounds in Chicago now too, by Small Town Brewery.[/url
Bottled, it's available at 5.9% and 10%.
It's 10.7% to be exact. That's a pretty good kick.

They have one that's 19.5% That's crazy strong for a malt beverage.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
It's 10.7% to be exact. That's a pretty good kick.

They have one that's 19.5% That's crazy strong for a malt beverage.
Yeah, I heard there was a 20% one (or close enough), but I thought it was only available on draft. Yeah, a 22 oz bomber of that would have me feeling pretty good for a little while.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yeah, I heard there was a 20% one (or close enough), but I thought it was only available on draft. Yeah, a 22 oz bomber of that would have me feeling pretty good for a little while.
Beer math: The average regular beer is 4.7-5% @ 12 ounces per serving. This is about 4 times that at just under 24 ounces or two regular beers. So drinking one is (approximately) like consuming about 7 regular beers give or take.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:05 AM
Amazon carries a variety of different root beer concentrates and flavorings. Soda stream (do it yourself soda machines) has become popular, so I checked, and there was at least a page (and it wasn't all soda stream either).

Worth a look.

Upscale groceries might have similar items.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:22 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsun View Post
Amazon carries a variety of different root beer concentrates and flavorings. Soda stream (do it yourself soda machines) has become popular, so I checked, and there was at least a page (and it wasn't all soda stream either).

Worth a look.
Yeah, but it seems like an awful lot of time and expense just to get something I used to be able to buy at any store for 6 cents.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:31 AM
BANNED
If you're not afraid of sugar, this creation attributed to the late Victor Mature: equal parts regular root beer and regular coca cola. True to the claim, it has the taste of RB and the zippiness if CC. Really good.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Quote:
I consume a lot of drink mix, mostly sugar free.

When I was a kid a lot of companies made a root beer flavor. They weren't sugar free but they were good.

Today you can get any flavor you want, sugar or sugar free, but not root beer. Why not?
All of these comments about root beer not being popular or needing carbonation are nonsense. They make many kinds of root beer candy, like the root beer barrels, root beer ices, and they even sell root beer popsicles, in almost every grocery. You can also buy sassafras tea and sassafras root from the sassafras tree, which is where the flavor came from. Years ago it was probably the first soda drink, way before coke, called Sarsaparilla. The same situation exits with many flavors, such as banana flavored mixes. There must be some other reason, and my guess is that it has something to do with money, like maybe it cost more to produce or store, etc.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyHayes View Post
All of these comments about root beer not being popular or needing carbonation are nonsense. They make many kinds of root beer candy, like the root beer barrels, root beer ices, and they even sell root beer popsicles, in almost every grocery. You can also buy sassafras tea and sassafras root from the sassafras tree, which is where the flavor came from. Years ago it was probably the first soda drink, way before coke, called Sarsaparilla. The same situation exits with many flavors, such as banana flavored mixes. There must be some other reason, and my guess is that it has something to do with money, like maybe it cost more to produce or store, etc.
The root beer barrel candies are tasty, but taste nothing like root beer.
I've had the root beer flavored Fizzies and Wyler's, etc. when they were available. They didn't taste like root beer either. They tasted more like year-old zombie.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post

I used to love Marino's cola flavored italian ices from the neighborhood ice cream truck when I was a kid.

I do like flat cola too, though. And coke bottle gummies.

Last edited by Mixolydian; 05-23-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Charter Member
Not Your Father's Root Beer

My daughter brought some home and there are a few in the fridge right now. She said they tasted just like root beer, but with a kick.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:16 AM
In the Boy Scouts, we made root beer while camping (car camping, not backpacking) and it tasted great on a hot day.

1 bottle Root Beer extract
5 gallons water
5 pounds sugar
5 pounds dry ice
30 minutes standing time

Use a 10-gallon container. The mixture will EXPAND.

Make a syrup out of 1 gallon warm water and sugar.

Add 4 more gallons of water. Stir.

Add root beer extract. Stir.

Add dry ice and leave uncovered for 30 minutes. The dry ice will add carbonation and make it all fizzy.

Great treat after a day hike, gives everyone a sugar high.

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 05-24-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:01 AM
I realize this thread is from last year, but we get Zatarain's root beer concentrate every so often. It's about as hard as making Koolaid. I like to mix it with diet ginger ale or tonic water!

And there are a bazillion "hard" root beers out there. They really took off in the last year or so. I've tried a few. The best do taste like root beer with a slight kick. The first one I tried, I didn't even realize was alcoholic at first--my husband had picked some up along with some "gourmet" cream soda--and I shared it with one of the kids.

Others taste like Budweiser mixed with store-brand root beer...no, thank you.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
Not Your Father's Root Beer

My daughter brought some home and there are a few in the fridge right now. She said they tasted just like root beer, but with a kick.
And absurdly intense and sweet; I'd liken it to a commercial root beer with 2x the sugar and syrup and a good jolt of alcohol thrown in for fun.

Not refreshing at all- kind of in the same ballpark as a Russian Imperial Stout or a Barleywine in terms of sweet, thick and intense, but tasting like root beer.

Our stores also sell alcoholic ginger ale (not too bad), and alcoholic cola (haven't felt the need to try that yet), while we're on the subject of soft drinks gone alcoholic.

Last edited by bump; 05-26-2016 at 11:50 AM.