Old 04-26-2015, 10:32 AM
How long is the average female skull (vertical)

I've been really self conscious about my head and have been ever since I was a kid. I measured it and it was 8.5 inches long, and all the other girls at my school seem to have smaller heads than me, and it's been really bothering me lately to the point where I don't feel like going to school.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:34 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
How long is the average female skull (vertical)
"Need answer fast"?
Old 04-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Yes please.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Charter Member
https://google.com/search?q=fema...ull+dimensions
Old 04-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Based on this you seem to be totally average:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hropometry.JPG
Old 04-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Somethings up with that link. For the relevant section, "Menton to top of head (14)", some of the given measurements don't actually correspond with each other. For example, the fifth percentile for women's head height is given as "20.4 centimeters (8.3 inches)". But 20.4 cm=8.03 inches, and 8.3 inches=21.082 centimeters. I'm not sure I would trust something with such basic errors.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Honey,you've got room for a brain. Hopefully, you'll use it.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Let me go make some measurements in my collection...
Old 04-26-2015, 08:53 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy967 View Post
I've been really self conscious about my head and have been ever since I was a kid. I measured it and it was 8.5 inches long, and all the other girls at my school seem to have smaller heads than me, and it's been really bothering me lately to the point where I don't feel like going to school.
What difference does it make? I have a big giant head, and it's worked out fine for me.

Seriously, I always have to go for the largest hat size, and most "one size fits all" hats don't fit me.

OTOH, my father, an absolutely brilliant professor with the degrees and accolades to back it up, has such a tiny head that he has to have his hats specially made. I gave him a Giants championship cap for the holidays this year, and I had to buy him a child/youth size for it to fit properly. Fortunately he was just pleased that it fit and didn't mind at all that it was a kid's hat. Sometimes we tease him by calling him "pinhead".

You need to figure out what's really bothering you, because head size ain't it.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
What difference does it make? I have a big giant head, and it's worked out fine for me. (snip)
Really? Because almost everyone I know would like a little head.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Why the long face?
Old 04-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Back when I was eight years old, the teacher had us all measure the circumference of our heads for a science/stats experiment, and my head-circumference was the largest, even exceeding the teacher's.

Hats are an ongoing problem, but unless I've specifically pointed out my extraordinary head length, people have never mentioned it (at least not that I've heard).

I have secret belief that my extra head-capacity contains a unique neural module, the purpose of which will one day be revealed to an awe-struck world.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Perhaps try a hairstyle that is more flattering to your face/skull shape?
Old 04-29-2015, 05:08 PM
I have been on this planet for 32 years, and I am more observant than most. In all that time, I have never once said (or thought), "damn, that chick has a big head."
Old 04-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
I have been on this planet for 32 years, and I am more observant than most. In all that time, I have never once said (or thought), "damn, that chick has a big head."
Merv Griffin rather famously said he only chose people for TV roles because of their big heads.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 AM
I was curious, so I just measured my head. It's 8.5 inches, apparently totally average. And to my knowledge, nobody's ever remarked upon the hugeness of my head. It looks average to me.

I took a picture of my head measurement about two minutes ago, so you can decide how freakishly big my head may be.

https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/17322125641/
Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Slightly off-topic: I always get Merv Griffin confused with Merv Hughes, which leads to some strange mental images.

ETA: ... isn't that a six inch ruler?

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 04-30-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:40 AM
Yes, it's a six-inch ruler. It's all I had on hand. You can measure things longer than six inches with it if it's an emergency. I may have lost a few fractions of an inch in accuracy in transferring the ruler down my face, I apologize.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:44 AM
You are a fraud, madam!

Just kidding. You're quite good looking.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Has your head ever killed a bird? Are you involved with a bad breaker-upper?
Old 04-30-2015, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy967 View Post
By and large, even if your head was larger than normal, no one would think anything of it. Head size is just not something people consider.

That doesn't mean you might not find some jerks that tease you, because bullies will find anything to tease you about. It's not about it actually mattering. It's about making you feel bad. If these bullies exist, you should not let them win.

But, I think it's likely no one has ever said anything about it to you. And, in that case, it's just that weird effect where we think we are the stars of our own lives--that everyone is looking at us and judging us. They aren't. Very few have likely noticed, and pretty much no one cares.

You can't live your life being worried about the imperfections in your appearance. If your head was too big, what could you do about it? Do you want to live a life running away from people? Believe me, it's not fun.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Cathy967, we've all been there. When I was a young man, I was certain that I had the biggest nose in the Western Hemisphere and that my earlobes could, in an emergency, be used as a topsail.

It took a while, but I found out that I was the only one obsessing about these things, and that if I stopped thinking about how big my nose was, I could actually converse with people (but not too close!)

Your head is your head, own it, flaunt it, decorate it with glittery things.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Long enough to reach the neck.