Old 05-30-2015, 01:33 AM
BANNED
Francophones: Pronounce "Concierge", please.

At one of my client jobs, they have a Concierge. The CEO and the Concierge pronounce the word "CON-SYER". (short e, as in 'bed' and 'ted'; you get the idea.) It irritates the effin F out of me. I think that this is some prime stupidity or misguided pretension. Of course, the French are almost as bad as a Worcestershireman Brit, so, I am not sure, but, I have only heard it pronounced with the 'g' being pronounced 'zh'.
So, Francophones, is it pronounced as CON-SYERZH, or CONSYER?

Thanks,
hh
Old 05-30-2015, 01:38 AM
nm

ETA: After some thought, "CON-SYER" seems more applicable.

Last edited by Leaffan; 05-30-2015 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:54 AM
Intermittently active
I would never have thought of not pronouncing the G as ZH, and it seems to me that the French pronunciation rules would require it, since it's followed by an E. So I agree with CON-SYERZH (with the N representing a nasal sound, rather than being pronounced as an N in English would).
"The banana has certain characteristics, appearance, taste, softness, seedlessness, easy handling, a constant level of production which enable it to satisfy the constant needs of an important section of the population consisting of the very young, the old and the sick."
Old 05-30-2015, 03:58 AM
You're right; they're wrong, IMO. You pronounce the g in French - or at least, every time I've ever heard it said, it's been CON-SYERZH, and I lived in several buildings in Paris that had one... Depending on your accent, I guess the ZH could be quite short, but I can't imagine it not being pronounced at all.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:09 AM
BANNED
Thanks, guys!