Old 06-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Good Detective Show like Broadchurch etc. for Netflix

Hello Dopers,

I've been binge-watching a few detective dramas on Netflix, and I would like to find more, the ones I have watched are:

The Killing, Sherlock, Luther and Broadchurch.

I am looking for similar shows, and particularly a show where it's hard to tell who the "murderer" is, and if it has more than one season, the better.

Which shows would you recommend along the lines of the ones I already mentioned?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Try Life. It only lasted I think 2 seasons on NBC but it left a lasting impression on me, and it came to a mostly satisfying conclusion in that two seasons.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
Try Life. It only lasted I think 2 seasons on NBC but it left a lasting impression on me, and it came to a mostly satisfying conclusion in that two seasons.
And it has Damien Lewis, who was fantastic in the role!
Old 06-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Watch Endeavor, which is a prequel series to the Inspector Morse series. Very good, I think.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Charter Member
Top of the Lake and The Fall are both great. The criminal in Top of the Lake is a real surprise, though in The Fall, he's shown in the first ten minutes -- the suspense is whether he'll be caught.

For something light and fun, there are the Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries

Last edited by RealityChuck; 06-01-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
"Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" for a good detective series set in Roaring 20s Australia. Two seasons with a third in production.

If you have the DVD service, try "New Tricks". Several seasons about a cold case squad composed of retired male officers led by an active lady officer.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 06-01-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:21 PM
The Danish/Swedish version of The Bridge is very good (but I don't know whether it is on the Netflix streaming service). Another Danish show that is definitely on Netflix is Dicte, about a crime reporter. I just watched a French series called Witnesses which was excellent. And I'll put in another vote for The Fall.

I was toying with starting a thread very much like this, so I will be reading on with interest.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:04 PM
There's a Swedish version and an English version of the same detective series, Wallander. I slightly preferred the Swedish version, possibly because I thought the women were hotter. They are both very good, though.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Smiley's People
Old 06-01-2015, 06:33 PM
Not sure if it's on Netflix: 35 Diwrnod (Welsh, English subtitles). Vera.

Recommended to me but I haven't yet watched:

Happy Valley
Single-Handed
Hinterland
Murderland

There is also the now-classic: Prime Suspect.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:01 PM
Perhaps Southcliff(one word I think). One of the several ''Happy Valley''s is sort of related to the genre.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:21 PM
In order:

Happy Valley
The Fall
Top of the Lake
slightly diff but still worth a look ... The Honourable Woman
Old 06-01-2015, 07:49 PM
I love Grantchester, only recently shown here in the U.S. The last I heard, they were planning another series.

Last edited by teela brown; 06-01-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Oh man, how did I forget Foyle's War??!! Abandon all other viewing til you watch this.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Wallander.

There are various incarnations...the Kenneth Branagh version is probably the most accessible version for English viewers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallander_(UK_TV_series)
Old 06-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagledave View Post
Wallander.

There are various incarnations...the Kenneth Branagh version is probably the most accessible version for English viewers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallander_(UK_TV_series)
Far be it from me to dis Sir Kenneth even by implication, but I'd go with the Krister Henriksson version instead. I prefer the foreigness of it and the subtitles are utterly incidental.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Line of Duty is a BBC police drama. The first season was pretty good...the second season not as much (although still popular enough to commission two more seasons)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_Duty
Old 06-02-2015, 10:01 AM
One more.

Accused is not specifically a detective show, but still a compelling law/order series with some great acting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accused_%28TV_series%29
Old 06-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Oh Lordy yes, Krister Henriksson every time. I don't know if it's something to do with trying to do an English language version actually in the original country, but something about the Branagh version just didn't work. They were too obviously "acting", or at least Branagh was, and most of the other actors were looking as though they wanted to be anywhere else. Just to confuse, in one episode, an actor playing one of the regular good guys in the Henriksson version turned up playing a villain in one episode of the Branagh series.

If you're OK with foreign language cop shows, try the French series Engrenages (Spiral - though I would have thought a better translation would be Wheels Within Wheels):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_(TV_series)
Old 06-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
"Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" for a good detective series set in Roaring 20s Australia. Two seasons with a third in production.

If you have the DVD service, try "New Tricks". Several seasons about a cold case squad composed of retired male officers led by an active lady officer.
Have to agree about 'New Tricks', Very sharp writing and terrific actors.

We've been watching Death in Paradise on Netflix. It's rated pretty highly and the first season was good, but I find the writing to be very uneven in the second season and, when we finish that, we'll probably go on to something else.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Second "The Fall." Riveting stuff.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Not sure these are on Netflix. The next four are on AcornTV. If you like British shows, do get that channel for your Roku--it's about $4 per month. (And get a Roku.)
The Last Detective
The Brokenwood Mysteries (This show has THE BEST Medical Examiner EVER.)
Inspector George Gently
Trial and Retribution (the protagonist is a real asshole)

I ADORED Death in Paradise, and I understand there will be more of them.
Love Endeavour--can't wait for new episodes.

I tried Life, but Damien Lewis is so Homeland. I kept expecting Claire Danes to jump out at him in a psychotic rage.

As mentioned, Foyle's War, The Killing.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Smiley's People
The only Tinker on Netflix is the movie. A disappointment I have with Netflix is how little foreign stuff I found in the week I've belonged. I've seen very few shows mentioned in this thread. Maybe YouTube? All of Tinker there.

ETA: All of Smiley's People, too.

ETAA: The Honourable Schoolboy, too!

Last edited by dropzone; 06-03-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:32 PM
OOPS! Schoolboy is an audiobook.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Columbo is on Netflix, and if you haven't watched it, you should. Also, it looks really good in HD.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Top of the Lake and The Fall are both great. The criminal in Top of the Lake is a real surprise, though in The Fall, he's shown in the first ten minutes -- the suspense is whether he'll be caught.

For something light and fun, there are the Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries
Does TOTL improve after the first ep?
Old 06-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Oh man, how did I forget Foyle's War??!! Abandon all other viewing til you watch this.
Yes. Stop what you are doing and add this show to your queue. This is a wonderful show. It's serious, but not as gloomy and dark as a lot of crime shows. Someone (probably here) described Foyle as having a "dignified masculinity", which I thought was a good phrase. Foyle is pretty unflappable and self-possessed, but certainly not emotionless. Michael Kitchen can express a lot with a little facial movement and inflection.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post

+1 to both of these. We watched New Tricks up through year 9 when all the original characters got replaced, and then gave up. Great ensemble acting.

If you like these try
Murdoch Mysteries ( the series, not the couple of movies.) Steam punkish, starting in 1896 Toronto, with Detective William Murdoch, totally handsome but a real geek solving mysteries with the newest of technologies, like fingerprinting. One rocky season where they made it seem that spiritual stuff might be true, but after that it is getting better and better. With great guest stars - Tesla, Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, Houdini, Arthur Conan Doyle, HG Wells and Winston Churchill.
One episode, about Toronto's first elevator, is named "It Goes to Eleven."

Also Australian is Mr. and Mrs. Murder, about people who clean up after messy murders and also solve them.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Scott and Bailey is worth a punt - well written and realised. 2 female cops, gritty, amusing, etc.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Does TOTL improve after the first ep?
Not really in my opinion. As a New Zealander I was morally obliged to watch the whole thing but in my opinion aside from the stunning visuals and Holly Hunter being funny the series as a whole was a bit of a mess. I guess I'd sum it up as 'Stig Larsson rewrites Twin Peaks in a New Zealand setting'.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
+1 to both of these. We watched New Tricks up through year 9 when all the original characters got replaced, and then gave up. Great ensemble acting.

If you like these try
Murdoch Mysteries ( the series, not the couple of movies.) Steam punkish, starting in 1896 Toronto, with Detective William Murdoch, totally handsome but a real geek solving mysteries with the newest of technologies, like fingerprinting. One rocky season where they made it seem that spiritual stuff might be true, but after that it is getting better and better. With great guest stars - Tesla, Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, Houdini, Arthur Conan Doyle, HG Wells and Winston Churchill.
One episode, about Toronto's first elevator, is named "It Goes to Eleven."

Also Australian is Mr. and Mrs. Murder, about people who clean up after messy murders and also solve them.
I came into this thread to mention the Murdoch Mysteries. Netflix has the first three seasons. I love it so much I bought the other four (from Amazon and at no small expense) and understand that Season 8 is in production. Great series!

I also strongly encourage you to watch Foyle's War. That was terrific.

Death in Paradise got old and predictable for me pretty quickly. The trope of the stuffy detective in his suit and tie sweltering in the beautiful Caribbean was boring.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Another vote for Murdoch Mysteries. It's a truly endearing show.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:54 PM
BANNED
Blue Murder
New Tricks
Death in Paradise

are all ones I cant stand.
I dont know what it is about New Tricks. I've REALLY tried with this one, but rarely have the interest to finish an episode. I cant put my finger on what exactly turns me off about this show - maybe its trying to be too complex.

Thelma Lous suggestions are good ones.

There are hundreds of quality British mystery series going back to the 70s that few know of. (Afterall UK specializes in this.)
For instance, you know Davidson starred in The Last Detective, but did you know that the actor that played Herriot in All Creatures Great And Small, was in a duo-detective series?
Ever heard of mystery-adventure series, Hannah (I think that is how its spelled) staring Jesus Of Nazareth actor, Robert Powell?

What about the series staring Edward Woodward (The Wickerman)?

Both Wallander series are great in that they are serious and show the toll on the detective's physical & mental health and family.

One of the first UK series to show the personal, off-duty consequences of this profession was Wexford.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:36 PM
I haven't seen the original Swedish version, but I found the Kenneth Branagh Wallander relentlessly depressing. Like, absolutely nothing good ever happened to him, and if it looked like something might, it was spectacularly ruined one scene later. It seemed like 10-15 minutes of every episode involved silent weeping, slumping into chairs, staring morosely into space, etc. The murder cases were good, but I wouldn't recommend binge-watching it like I did.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:45 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
I came in to say Foyle's War
Old 06-10-2015, 10:49 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
I haven't seen the original Swedish version, but I found the Kenneth Branagh Wallander relentlessly depressing. Like, absolutely nothing good ever happened to him,
This is exactly what makes it compelling.
Branagh does a superb job at it also.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:24 PM
BANNED
Jonathan Creek is excellent and ...different. I have always maintained a mystery does not necessarily HAVE to have a death to be interesting. There are one or two episodes here where it turns out its not a murder - in fact the best story is one of these. (Stars also the woman from the shitty Blue Murder series)

Frost - couldn't really get into this series although I watched them all. (Seems more than a fair share of the stories have to do with elderly abuse and such)

Ruth Rendell Mysteries ( I think there are three sets of three)

Ruth Rendell Dalgleish mysteries (these are top standard by which the others are measured0 single episodes can be as long as 4/6 hours, so given much room to develop. Inspector Dalgleish is like Foyle - unshakable; dead calm. The later series, with the same actor wot played George Gently, is equally good

Miss Bradley Mysteries (actually I am watching these now. ) Diana Rigg and the actor that plays Barnaby's brother in the latest midsomer Murders. 1920s (like Poirot) murders. Davidson of Last Detective featured on the surprize ending - The Worsted Viper.

Speaking of BarnaBUS - why not try the longest running series ever (over 600 episodes??) Dark Shadows. Very slow (for instance, from the very start takes something like 15 episodes before you find out who drained the car's brakefluid.) but excellent acting.

Murder Most Horrid - this is great comedy fun with Dawn French (of the atrociously-bad, Vicar Of Dibley series)

Cribb - good Victorian murder mysteries with the pockmarked actor from Heartbeat playing the sideman.

Father Brown -watch the origional series. Way better than this new one.

Inspector Lynley mysteries

Miss Marple -all are tophole, but the early ones with the actress Joan are class
all the way

The Wyvern Mystery (by Sheridan Le Fanu ) with actor Derek Jacobi of medieval mystery series, Cadfael

Anyone seen this new series, Penny Dreadful? I guess its Victorian murder.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 PM
BANNED
Well-known UK series:

Dalziel & Pascoe you just can't go wrong with Warren Clarke (who recently passed on)

Zen

Single-handed

Cracker

Prime Suspect

Waking The Dead (didn't much care for this - but watchable. Seemed somehow American wot with all the forensic bullshit. By the way, about this spate of US forensic murder series: like everything else that works on film, America stole from UK. One of the early UK -well, scots really - forensic/morgue series was Hannah)

Rebus

Pie in the Sky light & good

Rosemary & Thyme

Macbeth (well...sort of light comedy-drama mystery - like a scots equivalent of Ballykissangel only Hamish is a lone village cop. Like I said, Mystery doesn't have to be a murder. It can be the case of the missing salt.)
Old 06-11-2015, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrey View Post
I came into this thread to mention the Murdoch Mysteries. Netflix has the first three seasons. I love it so much I bought the other four (from Amazon and at no small expense) and understand that Season 8 is in production. Great series!

I also strongly encourage you to watch Foyle's War. That was terrific.

Death in Paradise got old and predictable for me pretty quickly. The trope of the stuffy detective in his suit and tie sweltering in the beautiful Caribbean was boring.
We're busy watching season 7 on Netflix. It's not on streaming though.
Miss Fisher season 2 is now being shown on some PBS stations. I saw one in Washington and one of our smaller ones is showing it now.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:07 AM
Just finished watching all four episodes of Hinterland that Netflix had available. Beautifully shot in a dazzling, minimalist landscape. Lots of empty fields, few trees. The episodes could be shorter by one-third if the hero spent less time staring into the middle distance and glowering like Russell Crowe. He's a man of very few words who makes Leroy Jethro Gibbs look verbose. Still, it's worth a look.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Just finished watching all four episodes of Hinterland that Netflix had available. Beautifully shot in a dazzling, minimalist landscape. Lots of empty fields, few trees. The episodes could be shorter by one-third if the hero spent less time staring into the middle distance and glowering like Russell Crowe. He's a man of very few words who makes Leroy Jethro Gibbs look verbose. Still, it's worth a look.
Hey, it's what he does. That, and immediately driving off in his car as soon as he is shown some piece of juicy evidence that the blond gal or nerdy Lloyd have come up with.