Old 06-04-2015, 11:41 AM
How many people are on your blocked list on Facebook?

I've blocked 60 apparently - about half are people from my past that I have no desire to have any contact with again, others are spammers, weirdos that PM'd trying to hit on me, people I got into disagreements with on Facebook groups and decided life was too short to argue with, and the rest I don't even remember who they are or why I hit "block"

What about you?

If you go to https://facebook.com/settings?tab=blocking it should show you a list of who you've blocked. But not why
Old 06-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Everybody (so far at least).
Old 06-04-2015, 11:51 AM
How long did it take you to create an account and add all seven billion people in the world to your blocked users list (give or take a few for those with multiple accounts, and those with no internet access)?
Old 06-04-2015, 11:58 AM
None. Yet.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Two for me. One is a former co-worker, and I have no idea why I blocked her. I don't remember adding her as a friend or blocking her. The other is an acquaintance who sent me some annoying messages.

How does blocking compare to unfriending?
Old 06-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Zero. I don't have anyone on ignore here either for that matter.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
Two for me. One is a former co-worker, and I have no idea why I blocked her. I don't remember adding her as a friend or blocking her. The other is an acquaintance who sent me some annoying messages.

If you unfriend someone, you can still send them PMs and if you both comment on a mutual friends post, you'll see each others comments and can chat there.

If you block someone, it's like they're not even on FB anymore. You won't see their name when you search, you can't private message them, and you might just see odd one-sided conversations on a mutal friends status with things like "Yeah, Susan's right!" when you'd never seen any replies by Susan to that post.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Imp View Post
If you unfriend someone, you can still send them PMs and if you both comment on a mutual friends post, you'll see each others comments and can chat there.

If you block someone, it's like they're not even on FB anymore. You won't see their name when you search, you can't private message them, and you might just see odd one-sided conversations on a mutal friends status with things like "Yeah, Susan's right!" when you'd never seen any replies by Susan to that post.
Thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post

Blocking a person means they can't message you, search you, see friend-of-friend posts, or otherwise find you or bother you at all. If they log out they can see what's public on your profile, but that is it (and you should not have anything public anyway). An unfriended person can send you messages, find you in search results, try to re-friend you, and see friend-of-friend items as your security settings permit. You can of course tighten down your security settings but you'll never get an unfriended person down to the same level of "nope" as a blocked person.

I have one person blocked for being a creep.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Two. One of them I have no idea who it is. The other is an acquaintance from elementary school who's just as obnoxious as an adult as he was back then, so I was kind of subconsciously looking for an excuse to cut him off, and then in a thread about Obama he made a spearchucker joke, and I was all, "nope nope nope" and that was it.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Just one - my sister.

She only realized it fairly recently (her narcissism is only one of my many issues with her) and immediately posted something about it on her wall (her victim mentality and endless need for people to feel sorry for her is yet another of my issues). I ignored it. I noticed a marked cooling from extended family after that, but that's fine (her ability to manipulate people also makes the list). Life is too short for family drama.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuffy View Post
Zero. I don't have anyone on ignore here either for that matter.
Oooh, good one. I apparently have three on ignore here (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/...?do=ignorelist) although rules prevent me from saying who they are, outwith the Pit!
Old 06-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMoon View Post
Just one - my sister.

She only realized it fairly recently (her narcissism is only one of my many issues with her) and immediately posted something about it on her wall (her victim mentality and endless need for people to feel sorry for her is yet another of my issues). I ignored it. I noticed a marked cooling from extended family after that, but that's fine (her ability to manipulate people also makes the list). Life is too short for family drama.

.. how do you know what she posted on her wall, if you'd blocked her? Or did interfering family tell you what she said
Old 06-04-2015, 12:16 PM
None for me. I have a small FB circle, and luckily no one has bothered me enough to block them. I stopped following one guy. He's still a friend, but I got tired of seeing his unhinged posts, so I just set it so I wouldn't see them anymore. I don't mind exchanging notes with him here and there, I just didn't want to see his daily stream of consciousness. Otherwise, I just have I think 20 friends, and they all seem well behaved enough.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Imp View Post
.. how do you know what she posted on her wall, if you'd blocked her? Or did interfering family tell you what she said
Got it in one! My response? "Oh, huh." <change the subject>
Old 06-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca26 View Post
I have one person blocked for being a creep.
I told you I wanted to send you a bunch of nice PANSIES.

One typo and your damned forever
Old 06-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Every time there's some big societal tipping point I'm amazed I haven't blocked more people. Like the ones who I'm pretty sure think we're going to forget about the troops if we talking about Catilyn Jenner for more than a day and a half.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Charter Member
None. I had one person on ignore for a bit, but I stopped that a while ago.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Holy shit. How many "friends" do you have on facebook?

I mean 60 people blocked, wtf.

I've never blocked someone and nobody has ever blocked me back when I used it.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Charter Member
I've blocked nobody.

There are a few who I've quit following for various reasons like most of their posts are centered around family issues that I have no interest to my friends who think that FB is the perfect place to tell you how horrible the Dems, Pubs, Conservatives, Liberals, President are.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Yeah, even before my depression and everything I was quite opinionated but I never discussed politics on Facebook. Seriously, what a stupid move. Dude imagine you're going to an employer, dudes some kind of hardcore something, checks your facebook and then tells you to fuck off you "lib,rep,soc, what ever".

I mean facebook is like your frontyard . You keep that shit tidy.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
I've blocked a few apps, but no people. I wish I could block certain kinds of posts, but for now, I just ignore them. I'm sure FB is useful for finding lost puppies, but if you're in San Francisco, I'm pretty sure your puppy hasn't wandered all the way to southern Maryland, so I can do without that plea.

I just keep reminding myself that there are those who probably get irritated at some of the inane things I write. Life's too short to spend it with bunched panties.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Pr0fes0re View Post
Holy shit. How many "friends" do you have on facebook?

I mean 60 people blocked, wtf.

I've never blocked someone and nobody has ever blocked me back when I used it.
204. I keep trying to limit it to 200.. but I have a really crappy memory for people's names so I tend to add new friends so I can sneakily look up their names when I've forgotten.

Most of that 60 were never facebook friends though, like I said, many are people from my RL past that I have no desire to reconnect with, as they'd remind me of a few dark years of my life. Others are just FB trolls I didn't want to see spewing their spam or hate-speech in FB groups I otherwise enjoy.

I only know of two people who've blocked me, both RL local mums who had got a bit over-emotional and either still hate me that much, or are so embarrassed by their tantrums that they never want to face me again. Either way's fine by me
Old 06-04-2015, 01:26 PM
A couple of ex-co-workers, some strange guy I didn't know who was trying to get in touch with my SIL, and some Russian spammer (I'm guessing from the name, Wikantozima Yabazaniya).
Old 06-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Only one "for real" - meaning a person I had deliberately friended, realized he was annoying, insane AND insulting, and then I un-friended him. But then he showed up in a mutual friend's conversation saying something annoying, insane and insulting, and I blocked him.

The other dozen people are people I've had to kick out of a group I run. I was not even friends with them. But people get charged up about our group and when they get kicked out they spaz out and there's no reason for me to take abuse from them, so I send their "goodbye" message and block them.

There are other people from my past that try to friend me that I don't friend back, but no one that I need to completely block.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Too many political, religious or nasty comments I block them. I would say a couple dozen so far.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
I've blocked nobody.

There are a few who I've quit following for various reasons like most of their posts are centered around family issues that I have no interest to my friends who think that FB is the perfect place to tell you how horrible the Dems, Pubs, Conservatives, Liberals, President are.
Yep, I do the same. Sure they are still my friends, and in fact many of them I really like. Just that i dont argue politics with many of them. Thus, when they come up with "its Obama's fault" crap I stop following them. It's running 9 loony conservatives to one far out liberal now.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:54 PM
None, but I've excluded the feed of some people (whatever that's called) who post every 3 minutes or who post nothing but POLITICALLY INFLAMMATORY STATEMENT AND YOU ALL AGREE WITH ME BECAUSE ONLY STUPID STUPIDS DON'T AMIRITE?
Old 06-04-2015, 01:57 PM
I don't have anyone blocked. I've unfollowed a few people, though.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:06 PM
I have blocked some people I grew up with because they were not nice to me (massive understatement) and they kept showing up in my "People You May Know" feed and I did not want to be reminded that they exist. I also blocked another person who, when we were FBFs, was one of those people who would post dozens of anti-Obama memes daily (most of which made untrue statements ) and turned out to be enough of a wackjob, I didn't want her to have any way to contact me. The total number is probably less than 10.

As for BEING blocked, I only know of one person who has, and THIS was someone who, to my surprise, heavily advocated beating children to teach them respect for adults, and I must have disagreed with her one time too many, I guess. And it was not someone I would have suspected of feeling this way, either. Oh, well.

If you want to remain on someone's friends list but don't want to see their posts, for whatever reason, you can hide them.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Um, about 7 I think.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Four for me. One I don't specifically remember why, one was a guy who I liked and respected in real life who posted a lot of politically-charged stuff and then got rude when discussions ensued, one distant family member who meant well but always posted ultra-weird comments on all of my stuff, and one guy who was just a weirdo. A few of them could have been handled via unfriending, but I really didn't want to see their stuff no matter where they posted it.

I've unfollowed way more people, mostly because they post annoying garbage or religious/political stuff that raised my blood pressure way more than the average user.

I've also unfriended more than a handful, mostly for posting anti-gay remarks -- I don't take it kindly when people insult my close friends, and that's essentially what they were doing. Just the other day a guy who I have never met, who friended ME because he is a fan of the sport that I work in, made rude "what a bunch of idiots" type comments about me and people that agreed with me on a post I made about a Mike Huckabee remark. If I don't know you and you send me a friend request, I probably don't care about your views enough to tolerate personal abuse.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
I don't have anyone blocked. I've unfollowed a few people, though.
That reminds me that I unfollowed a couple of friends during the Scottish referendum. They actually are IRL friends so I should probably refollow them now.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
That reminds me that I unfollowed a couple of friends during the Scottish referendum. They actually are IRL friends so I should probably refollow them now.
And it turns out one of them has unfriended me. Such drama!
Old 06-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMoon View Post
Just one - my sister.

I could have written this post, word for word. Did your sister try to sock up under her kid's name?
Old 06-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Charter Member
I've blocked no one, but I put one person on the restricted list. He'd overreact to the most mundane things. I'd mention that I had muscle soreness from overdoing it at the gym and he'd respond like I was on my deathbed. Plus he'd feel the need to comment on every single post.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Is there a way to see how many of my "friends" I've stopped following? Cause that could be quite a few.

I've blocked twelve, but it's a group distinct from my friends, they're all people participating in discussions on groups I'm part of and I blocked them to avoid being pissed off all the time when reading the discussions.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Nobody blocked, but quite a list hidden (or I guess it's not following now).

There are a bunch of people who seem to be interested in my doings but I have zero interest in most of what they post. But, because I'm a wimp and I'd hate to hurt anyone's feelings unnecessarily, I haven't unfriended or blocked them.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:04 PM
About 10 I guess. Most are from the horse rescue I used to volunteer for until I found out how underhanded they were, and they were still coming onto my page to 'spy' on me, so I blocked them. The rest are from my hobby, people I don't want to deal with.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:34 PM
nm

Last edited by Canadjun; 06-04-2015 at 08:34 PM. Reason: didn't bother reading the whole message I replied to
Old 06-04-2015, 08:50 PM
born to be shunned
None. But then again I rarely look at Facebook and I haven't the slightest idea how to block someone.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Zero for me. I don't block, I just ignore.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:18 PM
None. But then I only have immediate family as friends and keep everything on the highest privacy settings. Being in HR, I know all too well how people have shot themselves in the foot career-wise over some foolishness on Facebook. I wouldn't be on at all if my millenial children didn't demand it of me.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
I could have written this post, word for word. Did your sister try to sock up under her kid's name?
Ha! No, but only because she doesn't have kids.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Just two. The same two I had blocked on MySpace.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
Is there a way to see how many of my "friends" I've stopped following? Cause that could be quite a few.

I've blocked twelve, but it's a group distinct from my friends, they're all people participating in discussions on groups I'm part of and I blocked them to avoid being pissed off all the time when reading the discussions.
I only have three for this reason as well. I don't block people I know, but I've unfollowed a couple.