Old 06-15-2015, 10:09 PM
How many shoes are under your desk?

I'm sure this mostly applies to the ladies here.

We had the carpets cleaned at work so we had to remove everything from the floor and put them on the desks. I have 14 pairs of shoes under there! I wear most of them pretty regularly at work. I walk home so I wear socks and runners to work, switch into what ever I'm going to wear that day and then change again at the end of the day. Sometimes, like today, I wore 3 different pairs throughout the day. Heals in the morning, then my feet were sore so flats, at one point I was barefoot and had to quickly put on shoes so I slipped on flipflops.

I know most of the other ladies in the office also have multiple pairs of shoes under their desks, too.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:31 PM
If I'm sitting at my desk, there are two shoes under the desk. When I'm away from my desk, there are no shoes.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:58 PM
Three pairs, I think.

At the end of one winter, I realized that all of my shoes were in the office under my desk (I wore Uggs or snow boots on the weekends). I took them home in a good-sized tote bag.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:18 AM
None. I have a spare set of clothes, but they're in my locker.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:42 AM
born to be shunned
Other than the ones I have on, none. My wife has a pair of "work shoes" but they live in a drawer and are replaced by her sneakers when she gets there.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:46 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrendajo View Post
If I'm sitting at my desk, there are two shoes under the desk. When I'm away from my desk, there are no shoes.
That's what I was going to say. But I'm male. I noticed last week that a female coworker had three pairs of shoes under her desk. Plus the ones on her feet, but she wasn't there at the time.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:47 AM
Charter Member
None, other than those I'm wearing.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:56 AM
I learned long ago you never keep things at work that you can't afford to lose.

I also wear comfortable, walkable shoes to work in the first place.

Unless I'm working from home, in which case I'm barefoot.

Plus, I can't imagine keeping bunches of shoes under my desk... where would my feet go?
Old 06-16-2015, 06:25 AM
I usually just have a pair of steel toe boots under my desk or the shoes I was wearing before I put the boots on. Occasionally, I will forget to take the boots off before I go home. The boots are a little nasty to be wearing into my son's daycare in the morning, so I end up with another pair of shoes under my desk the next day.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:23 AM
Aside from the pair I'm wearing, there's only a pair of slippers I can change into if my shoes get wet coming into the building on a rainy day.

There are also a couple of other pairs of shoes/boots in one of my cabinet drawers.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 AM
No shoes under my desk. We have hot desks.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:07 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
I never had spare shoes under my desk - ever. In the one job where we were allowed Health & Wellness time, I'd keep a pair of walking shoes in a drawer, but that was it. I'm pretty sure I don't even own 14 pairs of shoes total, unless we count flip-flops and slippers.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:56 AM
I worked for a lady once that had a small shoe store under her desk. She got some kidding about it, but the lady could accessorize.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:59 AM
I am a guy. No extra shoes under my desk. A few pieces of what looked at first like cheese popcorn, but wasn't cheese. Lots of dog hair as well. Vacuuming under my desk at work is now on my bucket list.

I am not circus people.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:12 AM
Female, and only the shoes I wore to work today are under my desk, still attached to my feet, though I may slip them off later. It would never occur to me to bring extras, but I have entered my sensible shoes years, so whatever I am wearing has to be comfortable all day.

When I worked a fancy office job and had to wear dress up girly shoes with heels, I wore comfortable shoes for the public transit part of my commute, and changed at the office, so had a spare pair in my bag, but it's been years since I had to do any of that.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Charter Member
Two, the ones on my feet.

That said, there are 4 pair in my office. The sneakers I wear for commuting, and two pair of heels for when I need to fancy it up, along with the shoes I'm wearing.

Last edited by Lsura; 06-16-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: clarity, why else do I edit?
Old 06-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Charter Member
None today, because I am wearing pants. When I wear a skirt, I come in wearing flats, and then change into pumps, so there would be one.

OTOH, I do have seven pairs in my file cabinet from years ago, when I used to wear pumps every day and come in wearing sneakers. But I switched to more comfortable shoes at least 15 years ago. It might be time to clean out that cabinet.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:00 PM
I'll tone down my initial response because this isn't the pit. I work in IT and crawling under a desk and putting my head inches from your shoes is disgusting. Please think about the people who clean your floors and your IT guys the next time you leave your nasty shoes under your desk.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm a woman and the only time I have extra shoes at work is when the weather demands it, e.g. rain boots or snow boots. I ruined my feet wearing high heels, so any shoes I wear these days are comfortable all day long. PSA: Just say no to heels, ladies.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Zero. I almost never sit at my desk with shoes on. Leather house shoe/slippers sometimes in the later part of winter, when even the basement floor has lost its residual heat.

I was always prone to kicking off my shoes in corporate/employer situations, too. I wore Birkies for many years, so it was easy to just step out of them at my office door and step back in when I left.

I hate shoes. I amuse the neighbors by retrieving the newspaper in the rain and sometimes light snow in my bare tootsies.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:02 PM
I think my record was around 17 pairs. Right now, it is 5 pairs.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMoon View Post
I'm a woman and the only time I have extra shoes at work is when the weather demands it, e.g. rain boots or snow boots. I ruined my feet wearing high heels, so any shoes I wear these days are comfortable all day long. PSA: Just say no to heels, ladies.
I just might be a female-hating misogynist male chauvinist pig IRL (not saying I am, just that I might be), but I'll be every female's hero about this. When I get to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, our corporate policy shall be that no employee shall ever be required, encouraged, or pressured into wearing high heels or stilettos.

Maybe I'm totally missing something here, but I've never understood why high heels (especially stilettos, literally "mini-stilts") have any appeal whatsoever to anyone, whether user or observer. Stilettos, in particular, have always looked to me like they must the direct descendant of the old Chinese foot-binding tradition.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Right now, there's one shoe under my desk...the one on my right foot.

My left foot is broken and has a big clunky boot thing on it. I would not call it a shoe.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:23 PM
Charter Member
Checking there, I see a surge protector, a piece of paper, and more dust than there should be. But no shoes.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Charter Member
Not literally under my desk, but in the office:
2 Pairs of sneakers for going to the gym - 1 for regular workout and 1 for running.
2 Pair of motorcycle boots (usually only 1 pair if I brought the bike that day, but yesterday I inadvertently wore the sneakers home so I had to wear my 2nd pair of boots)

Last edited by Fear the Turtle; 06-16-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:58 PM
I don't keep extra shoes at work - what happens if I want to wear them out and I can't get to them! No, all my shoes are in my closet where they belong.

What I do is choose the shoes I want to wear at work and I have a large laptop bag that I reserve one of the compartments for shoes. Then to get to work I either wear flipflops or rain boots or actual warm boots depending on the weather.

It's not about not being able to wear my pretty shoes to commute in because they hurt, it's because they're freaking expensive and I'd rather not get them covered in snow/salt or wear the leather off the heels while driving.

I've definitely gone through periods where I stored shoes at work but I sacrificed a drawer of file space so they could be locked up. Weird crap disappears at offices. Laptops can be unsecured all day long, but leave a novel on the corner of your desk and poof!
Old 06-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Not under my desk, precisely, but I have a coat cabinet and they are stacked in there.

Let's see, I've got 1 pair of heels in case grownups show up, 1 pair of steel toes if I have to go out to one of the sites, 1 pair of tennies for noon-time walking, and 1 pair of black flats for ouchy feet days.

That's not too bad, is it?

I tend to remain barefoot unless I have to get up and leave the office.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
I'll tone down my initial response because this isn't the pit. I work in IT and crawling under a desk and putting my head inches from your shoes is disgusting.
The IT guys I work with just say, "Please move the shoes out from under your desk." Using one's words to communicate requests can be highly effective.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Charter Member
I have a pair of steel toes and a pair of running shoes with osha toe covers. The steel toes hurt my feet so I got the osha toes so that I could wear them over my current shoes however they are not comfortable on my regular sneakers and had to put them on an old pair of sneakers with a lower profile. And since I have orthotics in my regular shoes I kept forgetting to change my shoes until it reached the point I never put on my saftey shoes. Hoever they are making noises about safty shoes again so I will probably have to dig them out here soon.

I also keep a spare shirt in my desk, actually two now since they gave me a polyester shirt as my "christmas present" and I stuck it in the desk drawer. This is in case of a catastophic spill of someones soft drink or somehting (which has happened).
Old 06-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
I just might be a female-hating misogynist male chauvinist pig IRL (not saying I am, just that I might be), but I'll be every female's hero about this. When I get to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, our corporate policy shall be that no employee shall ever be required, encouraged, or pressured into wearing high heels or stilettos.

Maybe I'm totally missing something here, but I've never understood why high heels (especially stilettos, literally "mini-stilts") have any appeal whatsoever to anyone, whether user or observer. Stilettos, in particular, have always looked to me like they must the direct descendant of the old Chinese foot-binding tradition.
I am NOT a female hating misogynist male. I like folks, ladies included. Hating folks just takes too much energy for me to do that.

When I was "the man in charge", I told my "subordinates", that they could wear almost any foot wear that they wanted to. I expressly mentioned that high heels were not required, nor encouraged.

On the shop floor, steel toed foot wear was required. Did you know that they actually make steel toed high heel shoes? I was blown away when one lady wore a pair to work. They were certified by the US government to be used where steel toed foot wear is required. Strange stuff! As long as she wanted to wear them & they met the specifications for our shop, I was OK with them.

BTW, I agree that high heels should be avoided at all costs. I also see no advantage to their use. I do see some possibility for health issues from their use. Why anyone would choose to wear them is beyond my comprehension. Oh well, to each their own.

Back to the OP's question. Right at the moment, none, my feet are bare as we speak. When I am working away from home I wear one pair of shoes/boots for the entire day.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:38 PM
There may be a pair standing at the wall, but under the desk? Usually none, either at home or at the office. It's one of the things I like best about that office
Old 06-16-2015, 10:12 PM
I have two shoes. One pair. Period. Under my desk or in my home or in my car or on the street, depending on where I am. The experience of the OP is completely alien to my life.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
I'll tone down my initial response because this isn't the pit. I work in IT and crawling under a desk and putting my head inches from your shoes is disgusting. Please think about the people who clean your floors and your IT guys the next time you leave your nasty shoes under your desk.
If a pair of heals that are worn once every week or so and have never been outside gets you so het up, you do NOT want to see the ladies room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
I have two shoes. One pair. Period. Under my desk or in my home or in my car or on the street, depending on where I am. The experience of the OP is completely alien to my life.
Do you work out? Wear a suit? What if it's snowing/raining? What if it's hot? You have one pair of shoes for all those scenarios?? No runners or boots or sandals? Besides the 14 pairs of shoes at work, I have at least that many again at home plus leather boots, winter boots, rain boots, hiking boots. I don't think I even have a lot of footwear!
Old 06-16-2015, 10:44 PM
Female. Professional, office type workplaces for the most part over the last 30 years. Zero shoes under the desk. Never has been, never will be.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyGimpy View Post
Do you work out? Wear a suit? What if it's snowing/raining? What if it's hot? You have one pair of shoes for all those scenarios?? No runners or boots or sandals? Besides the 14 pairs of shoes at work, I have at least that many again at home plus leather boots, winter boots, rain boots, hiking boots. I don't think I even have a lot of footwear!
My shoes are a pair of black sneaker-type shoes that can pass as non-sneakers. I don't wear suits if I can help it...weddings and funerals. These shoes pass. They're sneakerish, so I can wear them to work out. If it's raining or snowing...*shrug*...they'll dry.

Now, understand, I have one prosthetic leg, so it's easier for me to leave the shoe on the fake foot (it's a bitch to get off and on) and just wear one pair of shoes than to change it whenever I want to change shoes. But the one pair thing precedes my amputation. I just don't need multiples. I don't do fashion.

Last edited by jayjay; 06-16-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Charter Member
I have various spare shoes at work, mostly in a file cabinet drawer rather than under my desk. One pair is maybe 2" heels (with a nice sensible cushy cork insole and a strap over my instep so that they stay on). I bought them for those rare occasions (weddings, etc.) when I might have to dress up, but haven't managed to bring them home yet - they were ordered online and shipped to work. The rest are all flat and comfy - some are sandals that don't require orthotics and the rest accommodate my custom orthotics. I wear comfy walking shoes to work, the type depending on the weather.

They are all quite comfy and pragmatic, except the heels (which are still comfy, as heels go). I haven't actually worn the heels yet, except when they first arrived, I tried them on to make sure they fit.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Female in an office job for 25 years. Only the shoes on my feet. Once I wished I'd kept a spare pair in my car. It was the 80s. I was a substitute teacher in a pre k classroom. When the kids took their nap, I slipped of my shoes and read a book. A little girl came up and said she didn't feel well. Then she gave evidence to the fact by depositing her lunch in my shoes. That was fun.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:27 PM
There are 2 pairs of shoes in my office right now and I'm not there. One is a particularly attractive pair of black heels that are unfortunately only comfortable for 4-5 hours at a time. They are one of my go to heels for days that I have high level meetings as they give me a little boost in confidence in my appearance, and I continue to hope they will hit that magic "broken in" yet still in good condition status. The other pair is non slip, OSHA approved and in case of an emergency production plant visit.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:04 AM
I'm female and so is my officemate. We're both at home and I'm certain there are zero shoes currently in our office.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:54 AM
None under my desk. I keep them in a filing cabinet--13 pair. I refer to it as "my fine shoe collection."
Old 06-17-2015, 11:28 AM
I work at home (well, my office is at my house) and I don't wear shoes in my house. There are never any shoes under my desk.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:04 AM
I have about 8 pair in a filing cabinet at work.

In the years that I've been keeping shoes at work, I can count on one hand the number of times I wanted to wear shoes on the weekend that had been left at work.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyGimpy View Post
Besides the 14 pairs of shoes at work, I have at least that many again at home plus leather boots, winter boots, rain boots, hiking boots. I don't think I even have a lot of footwear!
Ditto. And my podiatrist wonder why I look at him like he's nuts when he suggested a surgery that would totally change my shoe size on one foot. Dude, you paying to replace my shoes?