Old 06-25-2015, 09:15 AM
So, I think I hate my cat.

I've had my cat Todd for about four years now, adopted him as a one year old, and he's generally been a good pet: gentle, snuggly, purrs a lot, basically what you want in a cat. So, two years ago, I got a second one. McCoy is not really what you want in a cat - he's a fifteen pound brute who fights, doesn't generally let you pet him, and wakes you up at five in the morning.

You think I'm going to tell you I hate McCoy. Nope.

For the last two months, Todd has started peeing on everything I own. My bed is his favorite spot, but he's also gone for the laundry basket, the foam mattress topper in my closet, and every blanket in site. I took him into the vet right away, and they said he didn't seem to have an infection, that it was stress related, and they gave me some bladder-ease tablets and a kitty relaxation air refresher plug in. No dice, and 150 dollars down the drain.

This morning, after I get up, I find him squatting on my comforter again. And I lost my mind. I screamed at him, he ran away, and I didn't follow because I might have actually killed him. I called the vet in tears, who said they couldn't do anything unless I brought him in. Considering how well that went last time, I declined.

The internet has no help for me. "You might be working too much." Yeah, well, I need to do that. "He might need more of his own space." I've provided separate areas. McCoy takes both over. "Put a litter box upstairs." No. A thousand times no. I'd dump them outside before I even considered it. The litter boxes go in the garage, and the garage is already a depressing sea of litter that they track EVERYWHERE.

Anyone have any experience with this? Ideas? Humane methods of cat euthanasia?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Hen View Post
The internet has no help for me.
Really?

https://google.com/#newwindow=1&...where+in+house

Quote:
Sometimes cats will act out by peeing all over your favorite things. This can be a sign that they're unhappy about something. Try giving your cat more (positive) attention. Extra playtime with his favorite toy can cure the behavioral issue.
Quote:
Completely clean the marked territory. Even if you can't smell the cat pee, the cat will. That's her sign to continue peeing there. Visit the pet store for a product that removes all of the pet odors.
Quote:
Give your cat plenty of positive attention. Despite the stereotypes that surround felines, cats do bond with their humans. They want our attention and will go to great lengths to get it from us.
That took me about 10 seconds to find. There's thousands more results for this, too.

Quote:
Humane methods of cat euthanasia?
Seriously? Your cat has a problem and is clearly unhappy, and your first reaction is euthanasia?
I hope you don't have any children.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Your best bet is getting rid of McCoy unless you can get them to peacefully coexist.

It sounds like Todd is getting all out of whack and can't handle the stress anymore, and is just looking for a safe place to take a dump. I had this problem with one of my cats when he was being harassed by a much larger cat (who is someone else's problem now).
Old 06-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Charter Member
When cats get urinary infections they pee everywhere. Even right in front of you!

Your cat may be screaming, "Take me to the vet dammit! Can't you see, something is wrong!"

This should be your very first action. Behavioural stuff is doomed to failure and you to frustration if it's actually a medical issue. See a vet!
Old 06-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
When cats get urinary infections they pee everywhere. Even right in front of you!

Your cat may be screaming, "Take me to the vet dammit! Can't you see, something is wrong!"

This should be your very first action. Behavioural stuff is doomed to failure and you to frustration if it's actually a medical issue. See a vet!
He or she did. From the OP:

Quote:
For the last two months, Todd has started peeing on everything I own. My bed is his favorite spot, but he's also gone for the laundry basket, the foam mattress topper in my closet, and every blanket in site. I took him into the vet right away, and they said he didn't seem to have an infection, that it was stress related, and they gave me some bladder-ease tablets and a kitty relaxation air refresher plug in. No dice, and 150 dollars down the drain.
From the evidence, I would guess that the peeing is caused by stress and unhappiness. It is difficult to deal with an unhappy pet, because the source of the unhappiness may be your lifestyle choices - and it is asking a great deal to fundamentally change one's lifestyle to accomodate a pet - it may require making some hard choices.

For example, in this case, part of the problem may well be the second cat, who is dominant. Solving the problem may require re-homing one or the other, which is a big wrench for everyone. It may be difficult to find a good home for a cat with a peeing problem on the one hand, or 15 pound "brute" on the other.

One thing is for sure - it is very, very difficult to live with a peeing problem. I sympathize with the frustration and anger (though it is not helpful to give way to those emotions!).
Old 06-25-2015, 10:17 AM
I feel your pain; I'm going through something similar with my 12 year old cat Cosmo.
I went to the vet and he had no UT issues but they did find a bad tooth so they pulled it. That didn't make a difference so I got a kitty relaxer plug in thing. That didn't seem to work either. I've come to the conclusion that he's smelling the neighborhood cats that are always hanging around my house, so now I let him hang out in the (fenced) backyard during the day. It keeps them away and he can spray to his heart's content out there. I'd rather not let him be outside but it was that or get rid of him. Which leads me to agree with others that are saying your cat's problem is with the other cat. You say the other one is a brute and not much fun. Could he survive as an indoor / outdoor cat? Again, I don't really like the idea but it's better than the alternative.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 AM
We have 4 and had the same problem with the oldest one. She hates other cats and takes it out on us. It's gotten to the point that she is shut into the bedroom (with toys, a nice window view, and all necessary amenities for a grumpy old cat.). The peeing stopped as soon as she was isolated from other cats, and, frankly, she seems a lot happier with our undivided attentions in the evenings.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:11 AM
Charter Member
Small Hen, I feel for you guys. I don't have any advice but I can tell you the folks on this board probably saved my kitty's life a few years ago when we were ready to wring his furry neck (different issue). Listen to their advice!

Good luck to you and the boys.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Badger View Post
Really?

That took me about 10 seconds to find. There's thousands more results for this, too.
I've done these things - I've spent more time petting him and playing with him. It works for a day. Then I have to work, and he pees on stuff. And it's my bed. Of course I wash it every time he pees on it.

Quote:
Seriously? Your cat has a problem and is clearly unhappy, and your first reaction is euthanasia?
Saavik: "Humor. A difficult concept."

Thanks to everyone answering. I had a lot of frustration to get out this morning. I'll see if I can try something different. I've considered trying to find a new home for McCoy, but he's an adult, and it's tough.

Last edited by Small Hen; 06-25-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Saavik: "Humor. A difficult concept."
Then I must apologise for misunderstanding; but your post came across (to me, at least) as desperate rather than humorous. I've come across a lot of people in the past that would really consider this - such thoughtlessness tends to rile me up.

Ruling out a UTI (which you seem to have done - but is it worth getting a second opinion from a different vet?), it seems like Todd is having a hard time with McCoy (although you probably know this already).
You say you had separate areas, but how separate are they if McCoy is taking them both over?

The 'kitty relaxation air refresher plug in' (Feliway?) wasn't a bad suggestion IMO, it's proven to work - we use it in our house to great effect for a very similar situation. It's a shame it hasn't worked in your case though.

I wonder if it's worth taking McCoy out of the house for a week or so (staying with a friend or in boarding somewhere) to see if Todd settles down. If he does, you may have a tough decision to make...

Alternatively, have you tried changing their litter boxes? I mean completely - new boxes, new (different brand) litter? Different location? Todd might be having bad associations with the existing setup, hence going elsewhere to pee.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:19 PM
I kept my son's cat for 6 months while he was on a job out of the country and couldn't take the cat with him. His cat didn't like my cat AT ALL. My cat was miserable, losing his hair and upchucking his food, and hiding all the time. My son's cat peed on everything, everywhere he could smell my cat (which, of course, was pretty much everywhere). After making sure everyone was healthy, I finally wound up separating them completely - my son's cat had the downstairs to himself and my cat had the upstairs to himself. That corrected the problem after about a week and the cats couldn't easily smell one another anymore. Had it been more than a 6-month duration of separate kitty armed camps, I'd have had to rehome one of them.

You might try separating them completely for a few days and see if that helps.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Then I must apologise for misunderstanding; but your post came across (to me, at least) as desperate rather than humorous. I've come across a lot of people in the past that would really consider this - such thoughtlessness tends to rile me up.
It's all cool. It was rather desperate - I was in tears over it this morning. But I'm not planning to hurt or kill my cat.

Quote:
I wonder if it's worth taking McCoy out of the house for a week or so (staying with a friend or in boarding somewhere) to see if Todd settles down. If he does, you may have a tough decision to make...

Alternatively, have you tried changing their litter boxes? I mean completely - new boxes, new (different brand) litter? Different location? Todd might be having bad associations with the existing setup, hence going elsewhere to pee.
I might consider "lending" McCoy back to the lady I got him from for a bit, if she'll take him. As for the litter boxes, they're both in the garage and they'll STAY in the garage. My house has small bathrooms with no real good place for a box, and my cats both seem to have deep paw pads - they track litter everywhere. Even with the boxes in the garage, the litter ends up in the kitchen, even in the living room. I could try changing the boxes and litter brand, though.

I talked with a woman I work with who has, like, 5 cats. She thinks they need more toys, and recommended a few. Okay. Worth a shot.

If I can't figure anything else out, I'm going to make McCoy an outdoor cat. He's tough enough to do well out there, I've got a few great cool-down shady areas in my backyard, and I think he'll be happier anyway (he seems a bit pent up, I think). I don't love the idea, but I don't think it's cruel either.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:46 PM
If McCoy is not declawed, and if your immediate vicinity isn't close to wild areas like woodlands (sources of predators like coyotes) then you might have success with your idea of having McCoy outdoors. You might think about him being indoor/outdoor (letting him in at night) as a compromise.

Regarding the litter-tracking issue, you could try putting down an old beach towel under/around the litter box to "catch" stray litter. A front-door type of mat, that they walk across after exiting the box to force them to sort of wipe their feet, might work too. (If it's too spiky, though, you might inadvertantly discourage them further from using the litter box.)
Old 06-25-2015, 12:48 PM
Charter Member
I would definitely try separating them. My cat Sabrina was very sick and I separated her in her own part of the house. Papi and Spike stayed pretty much in the other part. Even after she was well, Sabrina has chosen to stay in "her" part of the house, rarely venturing out. She's content there, and Papi is not very cat-friendly, so she's happier without Sabrina.

When Nick had a UTI he was peeing everywhere, even so much as to coming over next to me on the bed and peeing on me. It all went away after the UTI was cleared up. He was just in pain and miserable.

StG
Old 06-25-2015, 12:57 PM
Dumb question, but the boys are fixed, right? I mean, you can have this problem with two fixed males, but you are pretty much GUARANTEED to get it with two intact boys.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:01 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
Are your cats fixed, Small Hen?
Old 06-25-2015, 01:19 PM
They're both fixed and have their claws intact.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:45 PM
You say you have two litter boxes in the garage. Do both cats use them both, or does each use his own? Todd needs his own box, and as far away from the other as possible. He needs to know that he has a place to pee/poop that's his, and doesn't smell anything like McCoy.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Charter Member
It's amazing what people who own cats will put up with (I'm one of them). All for an animal who could care less if we live or die.

I agree about separating the cats. Toss is telling you he doesn't like McCoy, never did, and he won't put up with it anymore. Good luck.

Poor kitty.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
You say you have two litter boxes in the garage. Do both cats use them both, or does each use his own? Todd needs his own box, and as far away from the other as possible. He needs to know that he has a place to pee/poop that's his, and doesn't smell anything like McCoy.
Okay, but how the hell do I do this? I have two boxes, on in each corner of the garage. They both go in both, and ignore the little signs I've set up that read, "This is Todd's box. This is McCoy's box."

Same thing with separating them. Since they both need access to the downstairs to get to the boxes, how can I make one area for Todd and one for McCoy? I've set up two sets of food and water, one upstair, one downstairs, and I tried setting one up right where Todd likes to hang out (on the cat tree, which McCoy doesn't care for as much) and they both eat from both.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Cats can be right bastards. I go through phases where I swear I'll never have another and right now I have three. Apparently they're cute or something.

One product line that really helps with the smell eradication in my experience is the Nature's Miracle line. If you use that to douse the areas where he's been spraying, it should help with lingering odor.

I also agree with complete separation suggestions.

A litterbox that they have to jump out of, or placing the litterbox within a higher walled box that they step into and then jump out of can help stop the tracking issue. It will also keep scattering to a minimum (stops the spraying of litter while they are burying their business).

I use a long wet weather mat under the litter box area that the cats have to step on. It's rough enough to catch lingering litter from their paws, without being too unpleasant for them to step on.

Good luck.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey View Post
All for an animal who could care less if we live or die.
Of course they care. What a ridiculous statement.

Who would feed them if we died?
I mean, if I happened to conveniently die in the house with them and wasn't discovered, that's a week or so of good eating, but after that?...

Small Hen, having McCoy go outside might not be that bad an idea, depending on your surroundings. All four of our cats are outside cats (that's fairly normal here in the UK) and they all do fine. Our three youngest tend to go outside all day, leaving the oldest one inside by himself. I think he really appreciates the peace and quiet. Things tend to get a bit tense if it's raining and they're all stuck indoors all day.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:38 PM
You should not be owning a cat apparently.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:41 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Of course they care. What a ridiculous statement.
Only because they lack thumbs.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey View Post
It's amazing what people who own cats will put up with (I'm one of them). All for an animal who could care less if we live or die.

I agree about separating the cats. Toss is telling you he doesn't like McCoy, never did, and he won't put up with it anymore. Good luck.

Poor kitty.
Todd. Stupid 5 minute editing window.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Quote:

Cats are not children and vice versa. Once we set aside manufactured drama based on a false equivalency, we can come up with workable solutions, perhaps including euthanasia.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
You should not be owning a cat apparently.
Too late.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:49 PM
I sympathize. We have 4 cats, and one pees. One is a dick, like how a human is and not how cats are typically mean. One is a cloudcuckoolander. One is very high-stress, constantly under alert from bullying from dick cat (who only targets her) and the dog. And the last is the chillest cat I have ever met, a gentle giant who gets along with everyone and gets tons of attention. No stress whatsoever. You can guess that the last one is the one that pees on everything. My main solution is to make sure clothes, backpacks, etc. are off the floor, and hang the bath mat when not in use. No UTI, but I can't figure out how to solve it otherwise. Advice like "Give your cat plenty of positive attention. Despite the stereotypes that surround felines, cats do bond with their humans. They want our attention and will go to great lengths to get it from us" is kind of patronizing to me.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Let them both go in and out of the house.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaMen View Post
Let them both go in and out of the house.
In my experience, cats that go outside, die.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Okay, but how the hell do I do this? I have two boxes, on in each corner of the garage. They both go in both, and ignore the little signs I've set up that read, "This is Todd's box. This is McCoy's box."

Same thing with separating them. Since they both need access to the downstairs to get to the boxes, how can I make one area for Todd and one for McCoy? I've set up two sets of food and water, one upstair, one downstairs, and I tried setting one up right where Todd likes to hang out (on the cat tree, which McCoy doesn't care for as much) and they both eat from both.
I'm sorry, but owning- and dealing with- a litter box is part of living with a cat. Sweep/vacuum the floors daily if tracking litter is that big a problem for you. Isn't spending 3 minutes a day dealing with litter a better option than spending 2 hours doing laundry because the cat peed on your bed? He's telling you that he has no other place to do his business, and you're telling him that you're fine with it by not providing an alternative.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Charter Member
Does he think that the cat box isn't clean enough?
Old 06-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Get rid of one of the cats. I'm serious.

Decide which cat you like better, and get rid of the other one. Give it to someone that wants a cat, take it to the pound, whatever. It's completely unfair to both the cats and to you to attempt to force two cats to cohabitate that can't get along.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtooornamental View Post
I'm sorry, but owning- and dealing with- a litter box is part of living with a cat. Sweep/vacuum the floors daily if tracking litter is that big a problem for you. Isn't spending 3 minutes a day dealing with litter a better option than spending 2 hours doing laundry because the cat peed on your bed? He's telling you that he has no other place to do his business, and you're telling him that you're fine with it by not providing an alternative.
Seriously. The logic just doesn't compute for me. "I don't want litter boxes upstairs, so I'll put them in a place where one cat won't use it and then spend hours cleaning all my stuff he pissed on, but at least I don't have a litter box upstairs!" Well, your entire upstairs has now turned into a litter box anyway. Get a big dropcloth to put the litter box on and a Dustbuster and try it out.

Or keep one cat in the spare bedroom. Put the box and food in there and see what happens with the peeing. If you feel guilty for cooping one of them up, you can switch them out every few days. This is what we did when I lived with my parents and I had a cat that didn't get along with one of their two. We didn't want to get rid of any of them but leaving them together was going to end in a vet visit due to fighting, so we did a balancing act.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
Seriously. The logic just doesn't compute for me. "I don't want litter boxes upstairs, so I'll put them in a place where one cat won't use it and then spend hours cleaning all my stuff he pissed on, but at least I don't have a litter box upstairs!" Well, your entire upstairs has now turned into a litter box anyway. Get a big dropcloth to put the litter box on and a Dustbuster and try it out.
Sorry, do you do your laundry with a tub and washboard? Washing a blanket takes about five minutes of time total. It's not like I have to stand by the machine while it does its thing.

The location of the litter box is absolutely not negotiable. I lived in a 550 square foot apartment with these cats once, and keeping up with the mess was a full time job. The frustration I feel when Todd pees on my comforter is NOTHING compared with the frustration I felt when I would sweep the whole floor, and then 30 minutes later, I heard them digging around, and I knew I had to break out the broom all over again. And I didn't have carpet at the time. If I have to haul the vacuum up and down the stairs all day, something's gonna die. I'm not sure which of us it will be, but it's gonna happen.

Quote:
keep one cat in the spare bedroom.
I don't have a spare bedroom. I live in a 3 bedroom house. There are three of us. None of us are willing to host a litter box. If that makes me a horrible pet owner, well, anyone want a cat?
Old 06-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Does he think that the cat box isn't clean enough?
Buy a self cleaning cat litter box, put it in one of the bedrooms on a carpet sample so it collects loose litter. Much easier to clean a bit of litter than pee. Lock cat in room at night so it isn't harassed by other cat. Make bully cat understand your displeasure with a spray bottle or the tennis shoe of Damocles.

put plastic on everything until peeing stops.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:53 PM
What kind of litter boxes do you have? If they are the small pans, about 3" high, get rid of them and get something bigger. Covered ones with doors are ideal, but my aforementioned cat won't use them as he is large. I got a large Sterilite to use. Sometimes they make a mess, but it isn't so bad that the floor requires daily cleaning.

ETA: I must be the only person who really doesn't mind cleaning the litter box. I don't like cleaning the floor (which seems to be the OP's main complaint), but lots of other people hate just scooping it. I scoop whenever I see it has been used, a few times a day. You should too if you aren't already, because the cat could object to the dirty box, although it sounds like it's more psychological than that, but can't hurt to try. If the third person in the home is your kid, make him/her do it!

Last edited by thelurkinghorror; 06-25-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
Buy a self cleaning cat litter box,
Does any one have one of those? It seems to me that they would become gunked up rather quickly.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:13 PM
My cat just peed on me and the bed. But I understand. She was walking wobbly this morning, now she cannot even stand up. She may or may not be here tomorrow (probably not). It has been a good 17 years.

Sorry about pissing on your thread, I will try to clean it up later.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
What kind of litter boxes do you have? If they are the small pans, about 3" high, get rid of them and get something bigger. Covered ones with doors are ideal, but my aforementioned cat won't use them as he is large. I got a large Sterilite to use. Sometimes they make a mess, but it isn't so bad that the floor requires daily cleaning.

ETA: I must be the only person who really doesn't mind cleaning the litter box. I don't like cleaning the floor (which seems to be the OP's main complaint), but lots of other people hate just scooping it. I scoop whenever I see it has been used, a few times a day. You should too if you aren't already, because the cat could object to the dirty box, although it sounds like it's more psychological than that, but can't hurt to try. If the third person in the home is your kid, make him/her do it!
I have two boxes - one's a high walled (about 5 inches), the other one's the low walled kind. I clean the box once a day on my work days, twice a day on my days off. Sometimes I do make my nephew do it, but he's taking a summer STEM program right now, and it's a bit intense, so I try to ease off on him when it comes to chores.

Todd has been fine using the boxes in the garage for the past year, and fine sharing with Mccoy for the last two. It's only in the past two months that things have been difficult. Two reasons that might be - I've started taking on extra shifts at my job (and I'm gone 14 hours of the day on workdays) which I began not long before this started, and there's been a lot of emotional turmoil amongst us human household members - arguments, the death of my grandmother, with whom I was close, my nephew starting the aforementioned STEM program. I don't know how perceptive cats are to people stress (dogs certainly are), but I guess he might be reacting to that.

I decided to treat McCoy with Advantage and let him out in the evenings (I put cold water out, but no food, so he should come back at night). That might give Todd a break, and let McCoy run off steam. I'm piloting this plan tonight. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Small Hen; 06-25-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Charter Member
I hope things go well.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Does any one have one of those? It seems to me that they would become gunked up rather quickly.
I had one. Worked great until it died. wasn't as well built as I'd liked. I had 2 cats and it lasted a couple of years. The only downside is the noise. That and both cats would run up to it every time it ran a cycle and watch it like it was something completely new to them. Or they didn't want their days work to go to waste. Not sure.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:14 PM
The extra hours could easily make the cat anxious. Every year I'd go on vacation and the 1st cat figured it out quickly and would be upset when I packed. When I came back she was really pissed off at me. She would growl at me and give me the cold shoulder until I begged her for forgiveness. Then she'd crawl in my lap and continue to growl at me while I petted her. There was no question she was unhappy and it had to do with my absence. it could be fear of abandonment/starvation or loss of attention. Don't know.

If you think about it, pets may not have the range of emotion as humans but what they experience is going to be every bit as intense as what we experience. Let me tell you what kind of stress I've gone through with the loss of a job. Stress needle bent around back to zero.

Last edited by Magiver; 06-25-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
My cat just peed on me and the bed. But I understand. She was walking wobbly this morning, now she cannot even stand up. She may or may not be here tomorrow (probably not). It has been a good 17 years.

Sorry about pissing on your thread, I will try to clean it up later.
I'm sorry to hear this. Hope she's feeling a little better this evening.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Hmm. Sounds like it could be the stress/emotional stuff and not the other cat.

1) Ask the vet about kitty Xanax. Sounds weird but maybe there's something.
2) Shut Todd in the garage when you aren't around so he's not unsupervised without a litterbox. Not great, I know, but if you can't put a litterbox in a bathroom or laundry room in the house, and you can't trust him not to pee in the house, then I think you've got limited choices.
3) Wait it out. He may settle down, when you all settle down. This summer won't last forever. STEM class will end. Your grief will lessen. The arguing will die down. Todd should simmer down when you do.
4) Consider re-homing him. He sounds like a complete love. Call a rescue group though and not the pound. Explain the increased work hours/death in the family situation and see if they can help place him. It's kitten season, so it may take a while, but I think that's your best bet unless you know someone personally already.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:12 AM
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear this. Hope she's feeling a little better this evening.
She's gone. Right now, it is not hurting so much, but in a day or two, I will probably be a wreck.

She had to share the rather small house with another cat on two occasions. The one developed into a keep-them-apart situation. The other was here longer my late father's cat but she was pretty old and shaky, so the two of them just worked around each other fairly easily.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
She's gone. Right now, it is not hurting so much, but in a day or two, I will probably be a wreck.

She had to share the rather small house with another cat on two occasions. The one developed into a keep-them-apart situation. The other was here longer my late father's cat but she was pretty old and shaky, so the two of them just worked around each other fairly easily.
I'm so sorry.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:47 AM
Some tips that might help

From the sounds of it, your cat is probably dealing with his own stresses and anxiety from the changes in the household. With everything that you're dealing with, he feels a lot of what you're feeling but doesn't know how to handle it. It's quite common that cats will spray in the house and change their behaviors because of such dramatic changes in "their" lives, so to speak.

He might just need some extra attention, his own litter box in a his own area. Due to the changes, you might have to actually change the litter box, the litter and location completely. He might be associating the litter and its contents to the changes that have been happening and is reminded of it.

There are some herbal remedies that you can try putting into the litter, that might attract him to it and put him at ease too.

http://canfemalecatsspray.com might have some more useful information for you
Old 06-26-2015, 08:45 AM
Quote:
But, have you taught them how to read? Could they be dyslexic? Only speak Spanish?...

Here is the solution to your problem. Your welcome.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Quote:
In my experience, cats that go outside, die.
In my experience, all cats die. Like everything else alive.

Sorry you had to learn about it this way.