Old 08-28-2015, 01:27 AM
What ever happened to cherry-flavored dip for ice cream cones?

When I was a kid, back in Wisconsin in the '70s, one of my favorite treats was a soft-serve ice cream cone dipped in cherry-flavored topping.

Although it hasn't disappeared — the internet turns up photos and other examples of this treat —cherry-flavored dip is not nearly as easy to find as it was when I was a kid. I honestly don't know the last place I've seen it. I remember getting these cones at Dairy Queen, but their website doesn't list cherry as a flavor option for dip cones.

But the '70s were a long time ago, and Wisconsin is now far away (for me). So I've been thinking about cherry dip cones, and have a few questions (that border on theories):
  • Was cherry-flavored ice cream dip always a niche product, and I just happened to benefit from its brief run of semi-popularity?
  • Has cherry, as a dessert flavor, been supplanted by strawberry or (shudder) raspberry in the "red sweet food" category?
  • Are cherry-flavored dip cones a regional thing —and maybe also a dying thing?
  • Was that ever a flavor option at Dairy Queen, or am I conflating small regional stands with a familiar national brand?
  • And, most importantly, where in god's name can I get my hands on a cherry-dip ice cream cone within 100 miles of Portland, Oregon?
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:53 AM
Dip ice cream cones come in two flavours round these parts, chocolate and caramel, and always have as long as I can remember (that'd be the 70s). So that's a (far out) data point for your survey.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:49 AM
Same here. Chocolate, sometimes caramel, never anything but. Various places in the east end of Canada.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:43 AM
Our Chicago suburban DQ has chocolate, butterscotch, cherry, plus occasionally blackberry.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:54 AM
In this part of Western Pennsylvania you can still get the brown, red, or beige flavored cone dips. Jimmies, too, if you want them.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:50 AM
That vile stuff still exists at the DQs in CT. My man friend loves it...I had never seen it before and almost barfed when he ordered it. I like to refer to it as leftover Yankee Candle Wax.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:55 AM
What annoys me is that peanut butter dip is gone now, because of peanut allergies. Seriously? Peanut butter dip is not like peanuts. It doesn't have particles in the air, and honestly, there are all kinds of peanut butter ice creams, with peanuts in them even, so why is only the peanut butter dip gone? It was my favorite!

Oh, and my local ice cream parlor does still have cherry dip. But I do not like cherry dip!
Old 08-28-2015, 11:19 AM
I grew up in Indiana (left in mid 70's) and whenever we went to Dairy Queen I always got a cherry-dip cone. I've never seen cherry dip anywhere else
Old 08-28-2015, 12:37 PM
Looks like it's at least partly a regional thing, then. Midwest and the Northeast, at least?

I have no idea if I'd still like it —I suspect I would, but I'm sure the primary flavor would be nostalgia.

I do remember both chocolate and caramel (maybe butterscotch, too?) —I was also a fan of the caramel version.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orderfire View Post
I like to refer to it as leftover Yankee Candle Wax.
Truer words were never spoken. Coincidentally, Yankee Candles are also disgusting.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:29 PM
I remember Carvel having them, at least in NY in the '70s-'80s.

Cherry Bonnet
Old 08-28-2015, 01:31 PM
I grew up in Chicago, and I remember chocolate and butterscotch, but never cherry.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:53 PM
There's a Facebook group for lovers of Cherry-dip cones.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Mm. Chocolate cone with cherry dip.

Available in Ohio in the 70s. No idea if it still is. (Now I want one and can't have cones. )
Old 08-28-2015, 02:40 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
I know I got cherry dipped cones in Ohio in the 80s and 90s. Not sure if our DQ still has them or not.

I'd go investigate tonight but I'm not going out that way. DQ is few and far between!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:35 PM
I shouldn't be surprised. Of course there is.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:38 PM
I get my cones cherry dipped here in Vermont.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:43 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
What annoys me is that peanut butter dip is gone now, because of peanut allergies. Seriously? Peanut butter dip is not like peanuts. It doesn't have particles in the air, and honestly, there are all kinds of peanut butter ice creams, with peanuts in them even, so why is only the peanut butter dip gone? It was my favorite!

Oh, and my local ice cream parlor does still have cherry dip. But I do not like cherry dip!
Because if a worker accidentally gets a drop of the PB dip in the cherry dip and then someone with a peanut allergy orders a cherry dip and goes into anaphylactic shock, that's a big deal for the company.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:43 PM
Mr. Softee, the mobile soft-serve truck found throughout NYC, offers cherry dip. If you ask real nice and the guy's not busy, he'll give you both chocolate and cherry. I'll grant that its disgusting, but I enjoy it now and again.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:40 PM
Charter Member
It's easy to find here. My standard order is a kiddy cone, with chocolate soft-serve and cherry dip.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:17 AM
I grew up in small town eastern Washington State. There were three DQs within close distance; two have always had chocolate and butterscotch, and only those flavors. The third one had chocolate and cherry as its options, but I haven't been there in a decade so I don't know what they do these days.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:09 AM
I vaguely remember it, but only as something strange that some place had. Cherry syrup? Sure. But not the kind that got hard.

Though it does sound amazing, so I hope I can find some once we have money again. (This time of year is always the hardest.)

Last edited by BigT; 08-29-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
Mr. Softee, the mobile soft-serve truck found throughout NYC, offers cherry dip. If you ask real nice and the guy's not busy, he'll give you both chocolate and cherry. I'll grant that its disgusting, but I enjoy it now and again.
Our Mr. Softee (called Mr. Ding-a-ling* here), doesn't make fresh cones for you. He only serves pre-packaged things on a stick.

*He was always called My Softee when I was a kid. The parents of one my daughter's friends bought an old Mr. Softee truck, and re-named it.

Last edited by Honey; 08-29-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey View Post
Our Mr. Softee (called Mr. Ding-a-ling* here), doesn't make fresh cones for you. He only serves pre-packaged things on a stick.
t.
That's terrible. Here in NYC, we call that a Good Humor truck or just an ice cream truck, although they're less common now. Mister Softee is sacred, and only refers to Mister Softee (note however Mister Softee also sells a small assortment of packaged ice cream bars/fruit bars )

They also sued other operators who were trying to resemble them, and won. Only Mister Softee can have the blue stripe and play the Mister Softee music.

Mister Softee

Imposter!
Old 08-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post

Unless they got rid of all peanut and tree nut products, I highly doubt that was the reason behind it. Ice cream shops are pretty much off limits for tree nut and peanut allergic people because the risk of cross-contamination is so very high.

Edit: I grew up in CT and cherry dip was definitely a thing. I preferred butterscotch dip, as a kid, but cherry was my second choice.

Last edited by MoonMoon; 08-29-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: important cherry dip info
Old 08-29-2015, 03:04 PM
I used to love getting chocolate dipped cones, now a cherry one sounds delish! If I ever get the chance, I have to try one.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:07 AM
The dip is only cherry-flavored in the same way as things like cough syrup are cherry-flavored. It tastes more like cherries than it does beef jerky, I suppose, but it is yer basic sickly-sweet synthetic flavoring.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pai325 View Post
I grew up in Chicago, and I remember chocolate and butterscotch, but never cherry.
Same here. Never heard of this cherry dip before.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
The dip is only cherry-flavored in the same way as things like cough syrup are cherry-flavored. It tastes more like cherries than it does beef jerky, I suppose, but it is yer basic sickly-sweet synthetic flavoring.
I was kinda getting excited about the idea of cherry dip, but I already had my suspicions that the above was the case.

Kinda like "cherry" twizlers. They aren't "cherry" flavored. They are "red" flavored.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:19 PM
They had 'cherry' dipped cones in Pensacola when I was a kid there, 50-60 years ago. It tasted like wax. I also remember that the Dairy King (not Queen) dipped the cones so that the chocolate lapped down OVER the top of the cone so that the ice cream didn't melt out of the seam onto your hand. Why can't they do that now? Pikers!
Old 08-30-2015, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
I was kinda getting excited about the idea of cherry dip, but I already had my suspicions that the above was the case.

Kinda like "cherry" twizlers. They aren't "cherry" flavored. They are "red" flavored.
Yeppers. The brown and beige flavored dips bear the same relationship to chocolate and butterscotch.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post

The flavor the cherry dip, cherry cough syrup, and cherry Twizzler manufacturers are going for is maraschino cherry. The fact it comes out tasting chemically-treated and synthetically sickly-sweet is appropriate since maraschino cherries are chemically-treated and synthetically sickly-sweet.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody come across any candy that was Bing cherry or Rainier cherry flavored?

Last FM Library Thing
Old 08-31-2015, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMoon View Post
Unless they got rid of all peanut and tree nut products, I highly doubt that was the reason behind it. Ice cream shops are pretty much off limits for tree nut and peanut allergic people because the risk of cross-contamination is so very high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese
Because if a worker accidentally gets a drop of the PB dip in the cherry dip and then someone with a peanut allergy orders a cherry dip and goes into anaphylactic shock, that's a big deal for the company.
That is the reason they got rid of it when asked. "Allergies". But I don't really care about any bullshit about MAYBE getting a drop of the PB sauce somewhere, when you still have peanut butter ice cream, peanut butter cups, peanuts in various chocolates, peanuts, peanuts, peanuts. No, they got rid of it because it was convenient to them or whatever and they look me in the face and lie.