Old 09-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Charter Member
Who Is The Third Person In The State Farm Coneheads Commercial ("In France")

I recognized Beldar (Dan Akroyd) and What's-Her-Name (Jane Curtin), but who is the other person supposed to be?
Old 09-12-2015, 08:04 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Lorraine Newman.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:04 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Laraine Newman reprising her role as their daughter Connie.

Last edited by Loach; 09-12-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:05 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that's Laraine Newman, Original Conehead.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:06 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
In second but with more complete information
Old 09-12-2015, 08:14 PM
And I did not intend to imply that she was THE Original Conehead, but of the original coneheads.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:15 PM
BANNED
I don't think that's Lorraine Newman in those commercials (though it is her original 'Connie' character that's being portrayed). Here's a short behind-the-scenes bit about it. They don't identify the third actress but it doesn't look like Lorraine Newman to me. They also don't interview her at all and I expect that they would have if it was.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Elephant Whisperer
It's a career comeback for Lorraine Newman! (EDIT: Or, er, maybe not, after seeing Hail Ants' post.)

I read the backstage history of Saturday Night Live that was published in I think 1980. I remember it said all the ladies in the show were in a desperate competition to become known as the sexy one.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 09-12-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:16 PM
Al Traina?
Old 09-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Dear Google, "is Laraine Newman in the State Farm commercials?"

http://brandchannel.com/2015/06/08/s...eheads-060815/

Last edited by bobot; 09-12-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: quotes for exact queshion
Old 09-12-2015, 08:47 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
I don't think that's Lorraine Newman in those commercials (though it is her original 'Connie' character that's being portrayed). Here's a short behind-the-scenes bit about it. They don't identify the third actress but it doesn't look like Lorraine Newman to me. They also don't interview her at all and I expect that they would have if it was.
It's Laraine. And it is her at least in the one or two I've seen.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:01 PM
Sure looks nothing at all like her to me.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:11 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Sure looks nothing at all like her to me.
http://newsworks.org/images/stor...eads-snl-1.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/GjtEQLBru0s/maxresdefault.jpg

She is older and has had some work done but it's her.

Last edited by Loach; 09-12-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:35 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/GjtEQLBru0s/maxresdefault.jpg

She is older and has had some work done but it's her.
Ok yeah, I see that it is her in that photo. Something seems 'off' though, as like I said she isn't interviewed (or even speaks) in that making-of spot, nor has she had hardly any lines in the commercials (except speaking in unison with Aykroyd & Curtain).
Old 09-12-2015, 10:49 PM
"Superstar"
Mod Hat On

I went ahead and stepped in and moved this to Cafe Society (hope the GQ mods don't mind). Y'all lucky I didn't delete it and ban the OP, since we're in a frenzy of spam stomping!
Old 09-12-2015, 11:12 PM
nm

Last edited by eschereal; 09-12-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:17 PM
I saw her guest star in some TV series a few years back (maybe CSI), and did not recognize her at all. IIRC, she's not only had cosmetic surgery, she's successfully overcome bulemia (or so it would seem) and weighs considerably more than in her SNL days. I believe she also had major drug problems back then, which basically burned her out over her five-year stint on the show.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I read the backstage history of Saturday Night Live that was published in I think 1980. I remember it said all the ladies in the show were in a desperate competition to become known as the sexy one.
There may or may not have been a book that made that claim, but I don't believe it for one second.

Jane Curtain was a church-going Catholic at the time (rarely went out with the cast after the show because she had to wake early for Mass the next morning), and she was an avowed feminist who would actively fight against the frequent sexism she found herself confronted with in her career. So, that's two personal traits coming from two different ends of the spectrum both of which would place little value upon being "the sexy one".

Gilda Radner may have been pleased to be found sexy by those who found her to be sexy, but I can't believe she placed much importance upon it in her approach to her career. She was a comedian committed to her work with a great desire to inspire laughter. The schtick to which she fully devoted herself constantly had her playing the buffoon, the nave, and the boorish always with emphasis on colorful personality rather than (and often times in complete opposition to) any sex appeal.

Laraine Newman, I give credit for fine comedic chops. I actually think she is constantly under appreciated in popular evaluation of talents of the original cast. But in terms of image, at least, she was the only one who could ever have been pitched as being "the sexy one".
Old 09-13-2015, 09:01 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I saw her guest star in some TV series a few years back (maybe CSI), and did not recognize her at all. IIRC, she's not only had cosmetic surgery, she's successfully overcome bulemia (or so it would seem) and weighs considerably more than in her SNL days. I believe she also had major drug problems back then, which basically burned her out over her five-year stint on the show.
Lorraine Newman was bulimic? In the (not great but not awful) TV movie It's Always Something starring Jami Gertz as Gilda Radner there's a scene with the two of them at Radner's apartment. Newman is shown snorting coke but Radner is the one shown binging & purging. Though Newman was certainly skinny enough.

And between the three of them I think Jane Curtain would have easily been considered the 'sexy' one if she wanted to. All she had to do was show some more skin and be more slutty in sketches and she'd have been a shoe-in. If you look at pics of them from back then, Newman & Radner are kinda cute, but Curtain is hot! My early teen brain still remembers this famous bit! But even there you can tell she was only willing be a dominating ice-queen, not a playful sex kitten...

Last edited by Hail Ants; 09-13-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:17 AM
Laraine was the one I most wanted to meet in a dark alley, so to speak, but they were all incredible.

I find bienville's points persuasive.

Last edited by Learjeff; 09-13-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bienville View Post
There may or may not have been a book that made that claim, but I don't believe it for one second.
There was indeed a book that made the claim. It may have been the first one published about the show, as it dealt exclusively with the first set of cast members, through to their mass firing, which ended the book. Can't recall the title now, and googling reveals lots of books have been written over the years, but it was published soon after 1980.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
Newman is shown snorting coke but Radner is the one shown binging & purging. Though Newman was certainly skinny enough.
Yeah; the cast would go to a restaurant and Radner would eat all their desserts, but she never gained any weight. If anyone ever figured out why, nothing was apparently said.

If Newman wasn't bulemic, she certainly suffered from bouts of anorexia. At times, she was so weak she couldn't get off the couch in her dressing room.

I had that book. It was subtitled "A Backstage History of Saturday Night Live."
Old 09-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Ms Newman has been doing a BOAT LOAD of voice work in the past several (or more) years. Check out her IMDb page, but bring a sandwich and a beer.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:00 PM
The commercials are okay but the Prymatt and Connie look weird without their unibrow.

ETA: Yeah, I recognized Laraine Newman right off the bat. Not sure why she has almost no dialogue but it was clearly her.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-13-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:14 PM
born to be shunned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
I went ahead and stepped in and moved this to Cafe Society (hope the GQ mods don't mind). Y'all lucky I didn't delete it and ban the OP, since we're in a frenzy of spam stomping!
Spam Stomp anything like the Bristol Stomp?