Old 09-24-2015, 07:30 AM
What's the most expensive thing I can put in the 22 oz. take home box from the Golden Corral Buffet?

Golden Corral (or the Golden Trough as one former employee I know likes to call it) has a deal where for $1.99 they will give you a 22 oz (I assume this is the amount of water it's capable of holding) container to fill with whatever you want from the buffet to bring home. What is the most expensive thing I could fill it with?

I assume it would need to be something fairly dense and something that could sort of conform to the shape of the box.

Here's a pic of the box: http://goldencorrallumberton.com/
Old 09-24-2015, 08:02 AM
Weapons-grade uranium? Might be difficult/risky to carry home though.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeisskeptical View Post
And don't take too much.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Ah, I think that would be the meatloaf...

Seriously, I think they have steak some nights, so that would probably be the most value-added. The rest of the food pretty much is assembled on the 'lowest-bidder' premise.

Which doesn't stop me from eating there on occasion.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:17 AM
This reminds me of a similar question you sometimes confront in Israel: how many french fries can you stuff into a pita with falafel (they do that over there) but leave room for the other freebies you've stuffed in there.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:37 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
Are you asking about the menu or the ER bill?
Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 AM
Lobster: $10-$12 per pound.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:46 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Your dignity.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:05 AM
Escargot! There was a time we would joke that Kroger was providing Cost Cutter Escargot in the Generic Foods aisle.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:08 AM
SD Curator of Critters
Since this is (arguably) about a restaurant, let's move it to Cafe Society.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 AM
From the menu if there was a way to cut the meat off the pork ribs and fit it in there, that would be the most expensive. Otherwise, the steak would be the most expensive and easier to cut up and stack in the box.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
According to the online menu, the steaks are cooked to order. I'll bet the place doesn't consider them a buffet item and won't let you order one for the take-out box.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:15 AM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Ah, I think that would be the meatloaf...

Seriously, I think they have steak some nights, so that would probably be the most value-added. The rest of the food pretty much is assembled on the 'lowest-bidder' premise.

Which doesn't stop me from eating there on occasion.
Here's the standard buffet menu:

Quote:
Everyday Menu Items

Assorted Steamed Vegetables
Awesome Pot Roast
Baked Potatoes
Banana Pudding
Bourbon Street Chicken
Broccoli
Cabbage
Carrot Cake
Carrots
Cauliflower
Chocolate Cake w/ Chocolate Frosting
Clam Chowder
Coleslaw
Corn
Fresh fruit
Fried Chicken
Fudgy Brownies
Green Beans
Greens
Grilled-to-order USDA Sirloin Steaks (*dinner only)
Macaroni & Cheese
Macaroni Salad
Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
Meatloaf
No Sugar Added Chocolate Pudding
Pizza
Potato Salad
Rotisserie Chicken
Seafood Salad
Soft Serve Ice Cream
Spaghetti
Sugar Free Red Gelatin
Sweet Potatoes
Timberline Chili
Yeast Rolls
50+ Toppings on our Fresh Cold Salad Bar
It seems to me that sirloin steak would be the clear winner if available. I was going to suggest that seafood salad might be a possibility, but it apparently includes imitation crab rather than more expensive ingredients. Lobster is not available in the buffet.

Last edited by Colibri; 09-24-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:16 AM
I was thinking it might be some kind of cheese from the salad bar... feta/blue/parmesan?

Or maybe filling the container with M&Ms from the ice cream topping station.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:32 AM
I thought I'd heard that fresh fruit was the costliest item on a salad bar, for the restaurant. Probably not what you're looking for when you want to maximize your treasure box, but the fruit might be what would make the manager most peeved.

I had a friend a while back who saw buffets as a challenge, like a battle between him and the restaurant. He would eat sparingly for a couple days before, then at the buffet he would choose entirely based on what he thought was the most costly to the restaurant, whether he enjoyed it or not. A strange person in many ways.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:47 AM
Fill it with steak and then hold it under the chocolate fountain to fill the voids with liquid. You don't want to leave any value on the table here.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Fill it with steak and then hold it under the chocolate fountain to fill the voids with liquid. You don't want to leave any value on the table here.
Filling a void with chocolate doesn't work. Take it from one who knows.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Dignity?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbang View Post
I thought I'd heard that fresh fruit was the costliest item on a salad bar, for the restaurant. Probably not what you're looking for when you want to maximize your treasure box, but the fruit might be what would make the manager most peeved.

I had a friend a while back who saw buffets as a challenge, like a battle between him and the restaurant. He would eat sparingly for a couple days before, then at the buffet he would choose entirely based on what he thought was the most costly to the restaurant, whether he enjoyed it or not. A strange person in many ways.
What sitcom (or sitcoms)--and it definitely was in an essay in Me Talk Pretty One Day by Sedaris--where one of the characters says in a restaurant, "You see that bread? Don't eat it. That's how they get 'cha." And derive great satisfaction from that. (Sounds like a Seinfeld.

Of course, most of us have been told, or come to the conclusion, that filling up with the bread, no matter how good it is, detracts from the amount of time/pleasure before satiation on the rest of the meal.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 09-24-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
OK, that was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel
My recipe for chocolate moose is quite similar to this.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Quote:
What if we head over to the Golden Corral gin fountain?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:57 AM
I would just make a fat salad and enjoy it later.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:57 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Since this is (arguably) about a restaurant,
I don't think I'd go that far, but you are a Moderator.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:05 PM
The breakfast buffet offers maple syrup. If it is real maple syrup, that stuff can be pretty pricey.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
The breakfast buffet offers maple syrup. If it is real maple syrup, that stuff can be pretty pricey.
I'll bet it's not even real HFCS.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:17 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWino View Post
Dignity?
Post #8. GMTA.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:20 PM
The iPhones that some of the customers at the ice cream bar have left unattended.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Post #8. GMTA.
Then I second the suggestion.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:46 PM
The contents of the cash registers (bills, not coins, unless you have a big load of laundry to do).
Old 09-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
What sitcom (or sitcoms)--and it definitely was in an essay in Me Talk Pretty One Day by Sedaris--where one of the characters says in a restaurant, "You see that bread? Don't eat it. That's how they get 'cha." And derive great satisfaction from that. (Sounds like a Seinfeld.
They made a sitcom about my grandfather?
Old 09-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Is it just me or is the picture of the guy holding the box not look right?

His head looks too big for his body.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:16 PM
The steak, I think, is the consensus answer here. I haven't been to GC in a long time, but I seem to recall they had a pile of them on the buffet, separated into rare, medium and well done. Does anybody know if the steak is something you can actually fill your take home container with? Also, am I misremembering or do they have prime rib on the buffet sometimes? That probably beats sirloin, especially if you cut the meat off the bone. Don't they also have sushi sometimes? Or am I just conflating all the buffets I've been to in the past few years?

Anyway, good on you for thinking about it. My girlfriend pays $15 for a scoop of macaroni and cheese and a loaf's worth of cheap bread, so I'm glad some people are getting their money's worth at buffets.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:22 PM
I am not sure I've ever eaten at a Golden Corral, but I have experience with buffet type restaurants, and it seems to me that their "steak" is often not all that.

Therefore the question becomes, "Is any of their food sufficiently worthwhile that I would WANT to take 22 oz. of it home with me?" Mediocre steak is one thing. Restaurant grade banana pudding is right out...
Old 09-24-2015, 01:29 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
At Golden Trough? It is to laugh. Nothing in the place is worth $2, much less what they charge you.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Wang-Ka View Post
I am not sure I've ever eaten at a Golden Corral, but I have experience with buffet type restaurants, and it seems to me that their "steak" is often not all that.

Therefore the question becomes, "Is any of their food sufficiently worthwhile that I would WANT to take 22 oz. of it home with me?" Mediocre steak is one thing. Restaurant grade banana pudding is right out...
How DARE you call that ooze banana pudding? The Keebler Elves make a better version (no joke, folks, I love it, love to make it).
Old 09-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Last time I was at a GC, the steak was behind glass and you had to ask the grill guy for one. So getting enough to fill your container might be problematic although, cost per ounce, it's probably still your best bet.

While the meat obviously wasn't of the highest quality, if the grill cook was decent it wasn't bad. We had a period a few years ago where we went to GC regularly for Sunday morning breakfast because we could put food in front of our hungry toddler immediately. One guy who'd work the grill made a steak about as good as you're going to get from a chain buffet, the alternate woman who worked the grill couldn't make a steak a dog could chew through.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:41 PM
...and my fellow Dopers have kindly answered the question as to whether GC is better than any other buffet place that serves canned vegetables and lower class cuts of meat.

Thank you. Nice to know I'm not missing a whole lot.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Can you bring a hydraulic compressor in with you?
Old 09-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Well I wasn't sure how large a "22oz box" would be. I know that a gram is a 1cm cube and apparently an ounce is 28.3 grams. So assuming that my math is correct, that means that we're looking at a cube about 8.5cm (3.3in) per side. That's not much.

Now, to confine ourselves to something that you could get from the restaurant, I would say that a human hand - balled up into a fist - is probably about as good as it gets. You would certainly need to pay me a ton to get me to part with mine, and I presume that others are the same. And since we're confined to the restaurant, it wouldn't be a nice surgical procedure, so I'm sure that would raise the price even higher.

If you want it prepared in some way, battered and fried for example, I imagine that would cost extra.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it more. I guess you could go for the man-parts. You could fit multiple of those in there, and people might be even more protective, so that would inflate the price per unit AND the quantity of the purchase!

Last edited by Sage Rat; 09-24-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgate View Post
Golden Corral (or the Golden Trough as one former employee I know likes to call it) has a deal where for $1.99 they will give you a 22 oz (I assume this is the amount of water it's capable of holding) container to fill with whatever you want from the buffet to bring home. What is the most expensive thing I could fill it with?

I assume it would need to be something fairly dense and something that could sort of conform to the shape of the box.

Here's a pic of the box: http://goldencorrallumberton.com/
Really, they'll let you bring food home ? I once went to a Chinese buffet and asked about talking some food home and it looks could kill I would had been dead ! I woman was watching me the whole after I asked her this. Someone diamond ring joking, I would say the meat would be the most expensive thing to bring home.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Charter Member
My parents live near an Indian restaurant that, for ten bucks, will let you fill a container with whatever you want from the lunch buffet. They will go there, get several things and share the food over one or two meals.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:03 PM
I have no idea about most expensive, but at $1.99, I'd fill the thing with pot roast or meatloaf or chicken and have stuff for sandwiches most of the week's lunches.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Charter Member
Assuming the steak is off the menu, so to speak, for the take-away box, the pot roast is probably one of the higher-cost items. At the moment, chuck roast is $6.99 a pound at the grocery store. Their "USDA" steaks are probably Standard grade, which is about as low as you can serve to humans and not get into trouble. (Would you willingly eat "Utility" grade beef?)

I can't get the link to open, but was wondering about the box - 22 ounces of salad or something else that will stay in a pile would work in a "clamshell" box as you can pile it high and it won't pour out. Or is it like a Chinese take-out box that could hold soup or rice equally well?
Old 09-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Following the link there and looking at the specific dinner menu of that location (it's a little different than the link above), there seems to be a fair amount of decent choices, even if steaks are out. (on a side note, I notice that grilled steak and baked potatoes are on the "healthy choice" menu. Only at a Golden Corral...)

Ribs probably have too much wasted space, but pot roast should fit well, as should the pulled pork.

Brownies could also easily be made to conform for almost no wasted space, you can usually smush those down to get quite a bit into a given space if you really want to.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Well I wasn't sure how large a "22oz box" would be. I know that a gram is a 1cm cube and apparently an ounce is 28.3 grams. So assuming that my math is correct, that means that we're looking at a cube about 8.5cm (3.3in) per side. That's not much.

Now, to confine ourselves to something that you could get from the restaurant, I would say that a human hand - balled up into a fist - is probably about as good as it gets. You would certainly need to pay me a ton to get me to part with mine, and I presume that others are the same. And since we're confined to the restaurant, it wouldn't be a nice surgical procedure, so I'm sure that would raise the price even higher.

If you want it prepared in some way, battered and fried for example, I imagine that would cost extra.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it more. I guess you could go for the man-parts. You could fit multiple of those in there, and people might be even more protective, so that would inflate the price per unit AND the quantity of the purchase!
Not particularly saleable, though. Go for the kidneys.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
At Golden Trough? It is to laugh. Nothing in the place is worth $2, much less what they charge you.
I'm guessing you could probably make it better and cheaper at home.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:07 PM
To the two people who answered "dignity",

If you are at the golden corral already, it is already quite obvious you have no dignity and/or your dignity is worthless.

Thank you.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Charter Member
I've never eaten at Golden Corral, but if it's like the other buffets I've been to, you can get another plate and go back through the line to get another "steak" (quotes because I'm not really sure exactly what that stuff is.)

Ounce for ounce, go for the protein. If not steak, then pot roast.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:20 PM
outside of harvest time, i'd bet it's something along the lines of chicken breast or broccoli, fresh pineapple or melon.

i've been to Golden Corral and it ain't bad, but let's be honest, there's sirloin steak and SIRLOIN steak.

Assume that the sirloin steak is frozen and probably just select-grade.

there's no 'legal' definition for sirloin steak when it comes to advertising. Just as a langoustine or certain prawns can be advertised as "lobster."

bottom line, carry out whatever you liked the most. At best, you'll take home $4 worth of broccoli or $4.50 worth of protein for $1.99.

Last edited by ccccalc; 09-24-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Also, am I misremembering or do they have prime rib on the buffet sometimes?
They do, as a special now and then during certain promotions. It's certainly not up to the quality of what you'd get at a steakhouse or other places, but for buffet it's not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehearingaid View Post
Really, they'll let you bring food home ? I once went to a Chinese buffet and asked about talking some food home and it looks could kill I would had been dead ! I woman was watching me the whole after I asked her this. Someone diamond ring joking, I would say the meat would be the most expensive thing to bring home.
Bizarre. Every chinese buffet (or any buffet really, including Golden Coral) has a carry out option. It's not all you can stuff into a box the way this 1.99 thing is, but you get a carry out container, fill it with whatever you want, then they weigh it and charge you by the oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
To the two people who answered "dignity",

If you are at the golden corral already, it is already quite obvious you have no dignity and/or your dignity is worthless.

Thank you.
Or more likely that they're not a snob when it comes to food.

You're welcome.