Old 09-26-2015, 12:08 PM
BANNED
Why do women wear yoga pants in public?

This may be a dumb question but ...

Do they provide more comfort than 'regular' pants or are they just for looks/to make the women look more attractive?
Old 09-26-2015, 12:18 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
They are super comfy and more flattering/accepted than sweatpants.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:43 PM
And the leggings style are way easier to tuck into your boots than a pair of jeans.

Sweater, leggings/yoga pants, boots. Uniform between November and April.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:23 PM
No matter the reason: Thank you.

Having heard the reason: That makes a lot of sense.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Charter Member
I'm gonna guess the primary reasons women wear yoga pants in public are that people stare when they just wear underpants, and sometimes it's chilly that way.

Seriously, are women's fashion choices a problem or something?
Old 09-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
I'm gonna guess the primary reasons women wear yoga pants in public are that people stare when they just wear underpants, and sometimes it's chilly that way.
*and* you need to make sure you've shaved/waxed your legs too, to be socially acceptable that way :P
Old 09-27-2015, 01:55 PM
You may as well ask, "Why do men wear sweats or basketball shorts in public?" The answer will be the same...they're super comfortable.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard View Post
This may be a dumb question but ...
No but required.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Why do people wear pajama pants in public?
Old 09-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kumquat View Post
No but required.
I see what you did there.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Because men don't have the proper curves.

Trust me on this. I did an experiment.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:48 PM
BANNED
Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate seeing a callipygous lady in yoga pants. I was just curious what the primary purpose was.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Charter Member
Cuz we look bad in basketball shorts.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Bigfoot View Post
Because men don't have the proper curves.

Trust me on this. I did an experiment.
I recently floated this as a wardrobe option and was outvoted.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate seeing a callipygous lady in yoga pants. I was just curious what the primary purpose was.
The purpose is to wear pants that are very comfortable. It doesn't go any deeper than that.

Oh, unless you think women wear yoga pants to turn men on? I don't know, maybe some do. I wear them in public because they're the most comfortable pants I have, and some days, a person just doesn't want to deal with constricting pants, you know?
Old 09-27-2015, 11:34 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallows fodder View Post
The purpose is to wear pants that are very comfortable. It doesn't go any deeper than that.

Oh, unless you think women wear yoga pants to turn men on? I don't know, maybe some do. I wear them in public because they're the most comfortable pants I have, and some days, a person just doesn't want to deal with constricting pants, you know?
Well, do women wear make up because it feels comfortable? No. They do it to be attractive. One wondered if that was the same reason they wear yoga pants.

It seems I got some (probably fat) feminists riled up with this thread.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:23 AM
I think the question should actually be, "Why do women feel it's OK to wear yoga pants in public, whereas in the past they would not have as said pants are too revealing."

I find it to be a pretty titillating and immodest look. It would be like a guy wearing Speedo-level-tight, well, tights. So that you can see the full package in 3D, not to mention the buttcheeks well-highlighted.

Sweat pants are typically not that tight.

Camel toe is in evidence more than the wearers would probably like to think.

I'm not the fashion police and won't say that women *ought not* wear yoga pants and leggings in place of regular pants, but I do find it surprising that so many find it comfortable to do so.

Last edited by Aeschines; 09-28-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Sigh. You give men a bad name.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:49 AM
All right. I opened this thread, and immediately thought, "Wow, yoga pants in public? That's like sweatpants, right?" Maybe I don't actually know what yoga pants are--although as I said, I've gone to a yoga class. People were wearing all kinds of things but the most prevalent seemed to be what looked like a short, lightweight pair of sweat pants that fell just below the knee. Some people were wearing shorts.

So I googled it. Wow. I have to say, I have never seen any woman in public the way those Google images are. So I think there is some confusion here.

If the thing they're wearing is translucent because it's stretched, it's not yoga pants. It's not even leggings. It's tights, which should not be worn as pants. If you can see the contrasting color thong underneath, she is definitely wearing it to titillate.

If the thing they're wearing is merely tight, they should probably be wearing a tunic or some other top that falls below their hips.

If it's tight but has belt loops, it's not yoga pants.

Yoga pants, as worn to actual yoga classes, are not all that revealing. In fact a lot of them are downright drapey, and some of them are quite loose-fitting. So this yoga pants thing is not actual yoga pants, but something else.

Also, any of the women in the last yoga class I went to could have decently worn the same outfit out shopping or wherever. Not one of them was in any way immodest.

My point here is that I would like to know what kind of "yoga pants" the OP is seeing, out and about. If it's the kind found when googling "yoga pants" I would honestly like to know where the OP lives.

Now I have seen a lot of immodestly dressed women doing Crossfit, but that's a different thing.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 09-28-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Sigh. You give men a bad name.
Seconded.
What's funny is gallows fodder's response was entirely reasonable and suggested that maybe some women wear them to look good but for her it's for comfort. But that was sufficient trigger for the OP.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
If it's tight but has belt loops, it's not yoga pants.

Yoga pants, as worn to actual yoga classes, are not all that revealing. In fact a lot of them are downright drapey, and some of them are quite loose-fitting. So this yoga pants thing is not actual yoga pants, but something else.
I think you might be a bit behind the times. I've done Pilates since 2012, and I know what 95% of women wear to the classes: tight Lululemon pants and similar things by other makers. These pants are marketed for yoga, Pilates, etc. They are indeed super-tight on the ass and everywhere else and indeed similar to leggings in visual effect.

Do women wear these out and about? Yep. I see those and tights and leggings all the time (Indianapolis area). Women often wear them without underwear, too.

It's pretty immodest garb. They do tend to be very flattering to a woman's derriere, however.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:31 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
It would be like a guy wearing Speedo-level-tight, well, tights. So that you can see the full package in 3D, not to mention the buttcheeks well-highlighted.
Oh, like my bicycle pants? It's not a flattering look, but I try not to be too far from a bike when I'm wearing them.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Oh, like my bicycle pants? It's not a flattering look, but I try not to be too far from a bike when I'm wearing them.
Yup.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:24 AM
There are yoga pants, then there's Lululemon, which started as a yoga brand, then started to be worn by people who never break a sweat, then started to be copied by less pricey brands. And now the particular look started by Lululemon, may they rot in hell, has become much more popular than traditional yoga pants, and has given people who choose to dress for comfort a bad name.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:50 AM
Quote:
I think you might be a bit behind the times. I've done Pilates since 2012, and I know what 95% of women wear to the classes: tight Lululemon pants and similar things by other makers. These pants are marketed for yoga, Pilates, etc. They are indeed super-tight on the ass and everywhere else and indeed similar to leggings in visual effect.

Do women wear these out and about? Yep. I see those and tights and leggings all the time (Indianapolis area). Women often wear them without underwear, too.

It's pretty immodest garb. They do tend to be very flattering to a woman's derriere, however.
I'm quite familiar with the Lululemon stuff (I prefer Cuddleduds myself--cheaper) but the thing is that they are not that sheer, at least if you're wearing the right size. I would not consider them immodest unless the woman's butt was hanging out or if they were so old (or too tight) and had gotten sheer.

Google "lululemon" images and then "yoga pants" images. If people are wearing the latter in great numbers in the Denver area, they are wearing them somewhere I haven't been (which is quite possible). Leggings, yeah. Sheer, really tight, low, nope.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Google "lululemon" images and then "yoga pants" images. If people are wearing the latter in great numbers in the Denver area, they are wearing them somewhere I haven't been (which is quite possible). Leggings, yeah. Sheer, really tight, low, nope.
OK, I see what you mean. Those seem to be pretty extreme examples. I guess there is a continuum of sheerness and tightness. I think most Lululemons look pretty tight on the butt, but they are not see-through.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:09 AM
The Zeroeth Mod
Moderator Warning

Quote:
Well, do women wear make up because it feels comfortable? No. They do it to be attractive. One wondered if that was the same reason they wear yoga pants.

I'm not sure why you think this commentary is appropriate, but let me make it clear that it isn't. You're receiving a warning for being a jerk (and personal insults).
Old 09-28-2015, 08:22 AM
It's comfort, pure and simple. I've got a couple pairs and I've never taken a yoga class in my life. I wear them with tops which cover my hips/butt and they're perfectly OK to wear outside the house. If somebody wears them in public without covering hips/butt they're either, IMO, clueless as to how they look or want you to look.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:43 PM
Yoga pants are the only thing that kind of make me think god exists.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:02 AM
Charter Member
Leave fat women out of this. We're not the ones wearing yoga pants in public or even doing yoga.

We are wearing leggings, though. Well not me but I am pretty sure the rest of us are. The beauty blogs say it's the thing to do.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Leave fat women out of this. We're not the ones wearing yoga pants in public or even doing yoga.

We are wearing leggings, though. Well not me but I am pretty sure the rest of us are. The beauty blogs say it's the thing to do.
Yep, we are, because they're cooler than even jersey pants when it's warm, warmer than tights when it's cold, and super cute under a dress that's shorter than would look right on its own. Leggings are awesome.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
You may as well ask, "Why do men wear sweats or basketball shorts in public?" The answer will be the same...they're super comfortable.
I don't really know any grown men who do that, at least I don't. I never found sweatpants comfortable at all and felt too exposed in basketball shorts, though I did wear them when I was a teen. At some point I made the transition to being a grownup and haven't worn beach or gym clothes in public since. I certainly see a lot more adult women wearing gym clothes in public than men.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:26 AM
Quote:

I find it to be a pretty titillating and immodest look.
Ye gods, not (*gasp*!) IMMODEST!!!!

I don't know where women you're looking at are buying "yoga pants" (which now seems to = any knit pants, whether flared, straight-leg, or leggings-style). Mine are thick (i.e., they don't show skin tone when pulled on) and leggings-style. I wear them under a top that covers my bum, with boots. I see young girls wearing them with shorter shirts and maybe a vest. They look cute.

Your titillation is not women's problem. Nor are they obliged to dress modestly for any reason.

If a guy wants to wear a Speedo, fine. Certainly I've never heard anyone complain that it's "immodest". That term seems to be reserved for female sartorial choices, and I for one am bloody sick and tired of it. Modesty is something religions and draconian dads require. I don't have either, and if I want to wear a fucking bikini, baseball cap, and high heels out grocery shopping, that's my business.

/rant.

Anyone need a slightly-used soapbox?
Old 09-29-2015, 06:58 AM
I think this is going to be our generation's version of '80s sweatbands, or '70s open-chested disco suits, or... whatever the hell that indescribable baggy fashion was in the '90s. It's the fashion that's going to look incredibly goofy in pictures in 20 years.

That's not a condemnation of anyone who wears them, and I don't even think it looks all that unusual now. I just feel like it has all the telltale traits of a future goofy fashion.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:16 AM
BANNED
The top flap of cloth that folds over works wonders in pushing the fat down and securing it in order to transform women's lovehandles into the appearance of natural, voluptuous hips-- disguising muffin tops.

Last edited by brovolone; 09-29-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBunny View Post
Modesty is something religions and draconian dads require. I don't have either, and if I want to wear a fucking bikini, baseball cap, and high heels out grocery shopping, that's my business.
This x 1.000.000.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:34 AM
I gotta say, I'm a bit confused at the responses that seem to imply a certain level of naivety regarding a woman's appearance in yoga pants. This borders on claiming you don't see why men find a woman in a mini-skirt to be "hot".

They can be a very flattering and attractive garment. I'm not a part of the "immodest" bandwagon here, you should wear whatever is appropiriate for the social situation and comfortable. But I do the grocery shopping in our household and my grocery store is full of attractive women wearing yoga pants, tennis shoes, and an athletic top and it my shopping experience is all the better for it. Go to any of the local malls here and you see the same thing.

Perhaps there is a percentage of women who are unaware and put them on only for comfort or utility (i.e. for doing yoga) but I can't believe that most of the women I see around town at the grocery store, the mall, etc., in a cute pair of yoga pants are unaware how flattering they are to their figure.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Comfy.

I'm too old and fifteen pounds too heavy for them to be sexy (Helen Mirren in yoga pants might still be sexy, not me).

And MeanJoe, I think you underestimate how hyper critical women are of their own bodies. We don't see yoga pants as sexy because we don't see our own asses as cute or our own tummies as flat enough. Unless you are talking about someone who does an hour of pilates a day and jogs showing up in workout clothes - most of us honestly think something like yoga pants highlights our too flat, too round, too droopy ass and the tummy that hasn't seen 100 crunches a day like you promised yourself on New Years but which do show the stretch marks and "it will never be the same" abdomen of the last pregnancy.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:56 AM
We wear things because they are attractive and flattering to our figure, yes. BUT NOT TO YOU. Trust me, when we are going to the grocery store we don't really care to be hit on. Maybe it's flattering to be ogled by the stock boy, probably not.

Why can't we just dress because we want to look attractive and not to men? I like going out looking good because then it makes me feel good. I have never put on makeup in the morning thinking "Oh, the men are going to think I'm sooooo hot." I don't even see any men for most of the day, my office is filled with women.

Ugh. I am feeling a little cranky today, it seems. I definitely don't dress to be attractive to men. I dress to be attractive to myself.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 AM
I think they look great on some women. On others, not so much, but if it's comfy for you then go for it.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post
Comfy.

I'm too old and fifteen pounds too heavy for them to be sexy (Helen Mirren in yoga pants might still be sexy, not me).

And MeanJoe, I think you underestimate how hyper critical women are of their own bodies. We don't see yoga pants as sexy because we don't see our own asses as cute or our own tummies as flat enough. Unless you are talking about someone who does an hour of pilates a day and jogs showing up in workout clothes - most of us honestly think something like yoga pants highlights our too flat, too round, too droopy ass and the tummy that hasn't seen 100 crunches a day like you promised yourself on New Years but which do show the stretch marks and "it will never be the same" abdomen of the last pregnancy.
Look, certainly it takes all types. Not every woman in yoga pants looks attractive to the average male. And I understand the point about body issues. I'm not a Neanderthal. :-) And perhaps I do see a larger percentage of women in yoga pants who ARE attractive due to the demographics of the area I live and shop - primarily young professionals, white, middle-to-upper income, and active lifestyles.

And to Anaamika's point I get you don't dress to impress men. No one says you cannot dress any way you like and your attire should not be an excuse to be hit upon by men or harassed. I didn't say or intend to imply anything of the sort. But you're fooling yourself that such a world will ever exist where what you choose to wear because it flatters your figure and is attractive to you will most go unnoticed by other people too - some of them men! This is the naivety I was talking about in my original comment. Do you honestly mean when you put something on that you feel is flattering to your body type and makes you feel attractive that you find it unacceptable, improbable, or offensive that a member of the opposite (or same!) sex might also find it flattering and attractive and visually appealing? To repeat and emphasize - I do not mean that that ENTITLES someone to oogle you, harass you, or make inappropriate advances.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post

And to Anaamika's point I get you don't dress to impress men. No one says you cannot dress any way you like and your attire should not be an excuse to be hit upon by men or harassed. I didn't say or intend to imply anything of the sort. But you're fooling yourself that such a world will ever exist where what you choose to wear because it flatters your figure and is attractive to you will most go unnoticed by other people too - some of them men! This is the naivety I was talking about in my original comment. Do you honestly mean when you put something on that you feel is flattering to your body type and makes you feel attractive that you find it unacceptable, improbable, or offensive that a member of the opposite (or same!) sex might also find it flattering and attractive and visually appealing? To repeat and emphasize - I do not mean that that ENTITLES someone to oogle you, harass you, or make inappropriate advances.
Nope, not at all. I mean, I don't find it unacceptable or offensive. BUT, I admit, there are times I find it improbable!

Other women have said this before but we get hit on ALL THE TIME. So sometimes we just cease believing it. If men are going to hit on us when we're all dolled up and also when we're wearing our sweatpants/yoga pants and blearily going to the store for a gallon of milk, forgive us for not entirely believing that you saw us and didn't just see "female".
Old 09-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post

Other women have said this before but we get hit on ALL THE TIME. So sometimes we just cease believing it. If men are going to hit on us when we're all dolled up and also when we're wearing our sweatpants/yoga pants and blearily going to the store for a gallon of milk, forgive us for not entirely believing that you saw us and didn't just see "female".
This x10000

I have been hit on while wearing a geek-tv-show baggy t-shirt, no makeup, and sloppy jeans, in the line at Starbucks. Seriously, what the hell?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Does there have to be any reason aside from because they're comfortable?

Pretty sure that at 50+ and more than a few pounds above my ideal weight, I am not being ogled by men who find my yoga pant clad ass irresistibly attractive. I am, on the other hand, comfortable and appropriately dressed to run my dogs, do errands or just be out in public.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallows fodder View Post

I wonder if this is part of the confusion: I (a guy) associate loose with comfortable, and tight with restrictive and uncomfortable. I don't think I've ever worn anything tight that wasn't uncomfortable.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:52 AM
Quote:
I think the question should actually be, "Why do women feel it's OK to wear yoga pants in public, whereas in the past they would not have as said pants are too revealing."

I find it to be a pretty titillating and immodest look. It would be like a guy wearing Speedo-level-tight, well, tights. So that you can see the full package in 3D, not to mention the buttcheeks well-highlighted.

Sweat pants are typically not that tight.

Camel toe is in evidence more than the wearers would probably like to think.

I'm not the fashion police and won't say that women *ought not* wear yoga pants and leggings in place of regular pants, but I do find it surprising that so many find it comfortable to do so.
Oh, I should answer this too. Maybe we just don't care anymore about somebody else's sense of "modesty". I mean women have been told since time immemorial that we can't wear this or that because it's not modest and because men might lose control and start raping everybody out there. But I think we're just sick and tired of hearing it and want to dress the way we want. Men dress without ever worrying about their modesty, I can tell you, or the bikers you mention wouldn't wear their bike shorts which make them look like they are smuggling grapes in the wrong place.

If you can see camel toe and it turns you on, I guess it's just not my problem.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Nope, not at all. I mean, I don't find it unacceptable or offensive. BUT, I admit, there are times I find it improbable!

I certainly can try to have empathy for that situation but I have no idea what that must really be like. I've never experienced it first hand as a male. Sometimes I wonder how women don't just go postal upon us men-folk on a regular basis. :-) So I do apologize again if my posts have somehow left the wrong impression than what I intended.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:12 AM

Because if they didn't wear anything it would be scandalous.

Next you'll want to know why firemen wear red suspenders.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
Why do people wear pajama pants in public?
Because people think it looks good to dress that way when your shopping at Walmart.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Men dress without ever worrying about their modesty, I can tell you, or the bikers you mention wouldn't wear their bike shorts which make them look like they are smuggling grapes in the wrong place.
Most don't, unless they're biking. I don't go to the grocery store and see a bunch of guys in bike shorts wandering about. Unlike, you know, yoga pants. Then again, maybe they're not comfortable. I've never worn them so I don't know. Never seen a guy wearing them around the mall saying "But they're comfortable" either.

Not that I give a wet slap if someone is wearing yoga pants but I don't see the comparison -- at least around here. Maybe you live somewhere where men in tight biking shorts and Speedos roam free.

┬ź Previous Thread | Next Thread ┬╗