Old 10-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Paintings or photos that play a major part in horror movies

As an adjunct to a thread I started in IMHO asking for Halloween tips, I'm now looking for suggestions of iconic movie images I might be able to use. I'm not talking about just displaying a picture of something scary from a movie, but an actual photo or painting that is featured. So for instance, I don't mean something like the twins from The Shining (creepy as they are) but the actual photo they show at the end. So far I'm using Carlotta Valdes, Dorian Gray and the disturbing picture from Repulsion. They don't have to be universally well known - I'll be interested in seeing who recognizes the Repulsion one - but if they're too obscure nobody will "get it". Also, it would need to be reasonably possible for me to print a picture of it, so if it's too large or will just look stupid miniaturized, that won't work. I mean, feel free to mention your favorite scary images; I just wanted to give the parameters for the images I'll be able to use.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
The family portrait paintings that Roderick Usher (Vincent Price) shows his guest in the 1960 Fall of the House of Usher. Creepy as fuck.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:49 PM
There are the photos in The Ring, showing the dead kids' faces all blurry. Sorry, best I can come up with!
Old 10-02-2015, 12:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
I was going to suggest Repulsion, but I guess that one's obvious.

I doubt if you can consider Blow-up a real "horror" movie, but the scene where David Hemmings is in the darkroom, enlarging photo after photo, while you hear wind blowing on the soundtrack, never fails to spook me.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:01 PM
I don't know if you consider Ghostbusters a scary movie but I always thought the painting of Vigo was pretty creepy.

Last edited by UncleRojelio; 10-02-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
The family portrait paintings that Roderick Usher (Vincent Price) shows his guest in the 1960 Fall of the House of Usher. Creepy as fuck.
Can you tell me / link to the one(s) you mean? When I google it so much seemingly unrelated stuff comes up I can't tell which is from the movie. I think I will use the portait of Vincent Price though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch
There are the photos in The Ring, showing the dead kids' faces all blurry. Sorry, best I can come up with!
This occurred to me; I just have to think of a way to display them. Also, whenever I try to google and image from that movie, I end up regretting it
Old 10-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Hell, just google the phrase, "Night Gallery Paintings."

Night Gallery was a sorta wannabe Twilight Zone, hosted by Rod Serling, but without quite the old magic; executive meddling didn't help, nor did more of a steer towards outright horror. But most of the paintings were amazing, and many episodes were quite good.

You want creepy pictures, you can't do better than some of those.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Three badly-cropped images.

http://glasstire.com/wp-content/uplo...60-600x255.jpg

https://thegirlwhoknewtoomuch.files....ng03.jpg?w=560

http://burtshonberg.com/Shonberg...%20Usher_4.jpg
Old 10-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Here's a clip which includes the portrait gallery scene; starts at 1:30. Five portraits in total.

"Susie Q. Usher! Blackmailer....HARLOT! Died in the MADHOUSE." Don't get too close to those drapes Price is chewing on.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Thanks,Uke. I did see those and thought they were from the Night Gallery show that Master Wang-Ka mentioned. Seriously, that first one looks like an extra terrestrial.

I'll try some of these and see what kind of image I can get.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Whoops, sorry. Clip here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PqgLS6TMPnk
Old 10-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Holy cow. I am sooooooo watching that this Halloween season! I read the Poe story years ago but can't recall any of the details. Anyway, I do have one of those frames that you put multiple pictures in so that will be probably work well. It will be fun to see how many people recognize them.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Here's a clip which includes the portrait gallery scene; starts at 1:30. Five portraits in total.

"Susie Q. Usher! Blackmailer....HARLOT! Died in the MADHOUSE." Don't get too close to those drapes Price is chewing on.
I actually didn't like the Corman House of Usher at all, and this scene is one of the reasons.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:28 PM
BANNED
A camera producing photos provides the whole plot for Stephen King's novella "The Sun Dog," but I don't think it's ever been adapted for the screen.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Well, if you're going to go literary, you have to consider Pickman's Model by H.P. Lovecraft.

They did an adaptation of it for Night Gallery, which wasn't particularly faithful, and which sort of combined it with A Shadow Over Innsmouth*. The pictures they ended using in it weren't all that horrific, unfortunately.

Another Night Gallery episode prominently featured two paintings -- "Escape Route" One was idyllic, the other a crucifiction scene.

*Night Gallery seemed to want to do Lovecraft, but either they couldn't bring themselves to do it, or their sponsors held them back, or something. Two Lovecraftian pieces turned into jokes, the Pickman's Model one came off halfway decent, and the others failed.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I actually didn't like the Corman House of Usher at all, and this scene is one of the reasons.
It tries hard to be atmospheric but there's no question that it is dull, dull, dull. And Mark Damon is SO wrong for it that you want to slap him.

I'm a sucker for Vincent Price, though, even in the roles he serves up on rye with Swiss cheese and a dab of mustard.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRojelio View Post
I don't know if you consider Ghostbusters a scary movie but I always thought the painting of Vigo was pretty creepy.
Don't forget the photo of it showing the River of Slime.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
A camera producing photos provides the whole plot for Stephen King's novella "The Sun Dog," but I don't think it's ever been adapted for the screen.
This should work quite nicely. Another story I read years ago and cannot remember a thing about it. Good thing I still have the book.

I also don't recall shit about Ghost Busters save the marshmellow man, but I bet a lot of people who do will recognize creepy ass Vigo.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Stephen King's 1408 had some painting-related shenanigans, though I think the movie only briefly touched on them, while the book went into more detail. The dime-store hotel paintings change from mundane to disturbing.

Did anyone ever do a talkie version of another short story from the same collection, The Road Virus Goes North? That prominently features a spooky painting. Might be too obscure though.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:40 PM
It's not particularly scary, but what about The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed in Sun from Red Dragon/Hannibal?

It's the painting that the serial killer "The Tooth Fairy" had issues with/inspiration from.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:48 PM
Was it a Night Gallery or Twilight Zone with, I believe Roddy McDowell, who scared his parents to death by changing the painting of the graveyard outside the house? Oh and the one with the Nazi who wished himself inside the painting.

These are coming out of my fading memory.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:49 PM
In one of the Damien: The Omen movies, a man becomes convinced that Damien is the antichrist because of a centuries-old mural with Damien's face.

When I was a kid, the word 'antichrist' was scary in itself. But having heard that Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi are antichrists, it's lost its sting.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
It's not particularly scary, but what about The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed in Sun from Red Dragon/Hannibal?

It's the painting that the serial killer "The Tooth Fairy" had issues with/inspiration from.
Good one. I'm not familiar with any of the Hannibal canon except Silence of the Lambs but perhaps others are. At least it will get people to think / ask about it.

These are all good, guys; keep 'em coming!
Old 10-02-2015, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Was it a Night Gallery or Twilight Zone with, I believe Roddy McDowell, who scared his parents to death by changing the painting of the graveyard outside the house? Oh and the one with the Nazi who wished himself inside the painting.

The first one was from the Night Gallery pilot.

The second one is "Escape Route", which I referred to above.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 10-02-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Quote:

Both were Night Gallery.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0064725/...m_flmg_act_157

Ninja!

Last edited by Wolf333; 10-02-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:19 PM
SDSAB
Like Ukelele Ike, I thought at once of the photograph in Antonioni's Blow-Up. The movie is a quaint/silly Sixties artifact in many ways, but the scene where the photographer comes to see that he inadvertently photographed a murder is very effectively unsettling.

George R.R. Martin wrote the 1985 short story "Portraits of His Children," in which an artist's paintings come to life and bedevil him in various ways (or maybe he's just going mad and/or hallucinating). It's all right, but far from Martin's best IMHO.

Ray Bradbury wrote "The Crowd," a 1955 short story in which a man realizes that the same people keep showing up at car-accident scenes. He compares photographs across many years and sees them again and again, unaged. Brrrr.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't call the recent movie a "horror movie" (nor a "good movie") but the Dark Shadows soap was always dragging out portraits and paintings.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Also on the literary side is M.R. James excellent 1904 story "The Mezzotint," about an engraving of a spooky moonlit country house which is invaded by an eerie figure that creeps across the lawn and eventually enters....

A number or illustrations have been created over the past several years; this one's a good one...

https://f1.bcbits.com/img/a2284290115_10.jpg
Old 10-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Quote:
The first one was from the Night Gallery pilot.

The second one is "Escape Route", which I referred to above.
This was one of the first ones I tried to find but there are no good shots of it. Holy crap did that ep scare me. Still creeps me out, to tell you the truth. I even tried to find one of Joan Crawford's portrait from another segment in that ep but no such luck.

And how could I forget about Barnabas Collins !
Old 10-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Tim Roth's character in the Tales from the Crypt episode Easel Kill Ya painted "morbid art" for a collector who pushed him to greater and greater extremes. Of course, an "O. Henry" ending was involved.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier, film by Alfred Hitchcock, is more mystery/suspense than horror. A virtuous ingenue marries a dashing but decadent aristocrat, whose first wife died under mysterious circumstances. First wife's creepy portrait (halfway down the page) dominates the living room.

Last edited by Horatio Hellpop; 10-02-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Hope this helps: (pix from "Escape Clause")

I don't know how you'd use this, but there was a movie in the late '70s--"Burnt Offerings"-- about a vampire house and anyone who died there joined the creepy gallery of pix on the walls. Also has a great pic of Karen Black--and her bridgework--from "Trilogy Of Terror."
Old 10-02-2015, 10:16 PM
BANNED
Quote:

I don't recall those, but I do recall a NG ep where a painting was a portal into a dinosaur-filled jungle.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Shouting Grasshopper
Not from a film and more funny than scary, but how about the "stretching portraits" from Disney's Haunted Mansion?
Old 10-03-2015, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post

I don't know how you'd use this, but there was a movie in the late '70s--"Burnt Offerings"-- about a vampire house and anyone who died there joined the creepy gallery of pix on the walls. Also has a great pic of Karen Black--and her bridgework--from "Trilogy Of Terror."
That google page shows a mausoleum instead of a graveyard in that pilot episode. Which contradicts my memory of people clawing themselves out of graves. Seeing as how I was a pre-schooler at the time (so little supervision on my TV watching) I can see how I got it wrong.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post

And how could I forget about Barnabas Collins !

Not just Barnabas - I know there were a number of important paintings on the show (my husband runs a huge fan site) but another that comes to mind is from the Phoenix story line pre-Barnabas - David's mother comes back from "Arizona", meanwhile iirc the local artist? Can't stop painting a portrait where she's surrounded in flames. Genuinely creepy stuff.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Not from a movie, but the first thing I thought of was that spooky, supposedly haunted painting being sold on eBay in the early 2000s called "The Hands Resist Him" that became an internet meme.

Another thing I thought of is those very creepy old-time photos of dead children (some grownups as well) who are propped up to look like they're still alive. Some even have eyes painted over their closed eyelids. There's a movie connection there-- in the Nicole Kidman movie "The Others" she finds several of those types of photos stashed away in an old house.

Last edited by solost; 10-03-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:03 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Well, if you're going to go literary, you have to consider Pickman's Model by H.P. Lovecraft.
See also "The Picture in the House."
Old 10-03-2015, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
In one of the Damien: The Omen movies, a man becomes convinced that Damien is the antichrist because of a centuries-old mural with Damien's face.

When I was a kid, the word 'antichrist' was scary in itself. But having heard that Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi are antichrists, it's lost its sting.
The more obvious example is in the original Omen (and the later remake) the photojournalist Keith Jennings (played by David Warner in the original) develops his photographs and sees they have mysterious lens or film aberrations which represent how various characters will die.

TCMF-2L
Old 10-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMF-2L View Post
The more obvious example is in the original Omen (and the later remake) the photojournalist Keith Jennings (played by David Warner in the original) develops his photographs and sees they have mysterious lens or film aberrations which represent how various characters will die.

TCMF-2L
The very same idea was also used in Final Destination 3. The one where characters are at a fair taking photographs and some of the characters die on a roller coaster. The characters that didn't die on the roller coaster later expire in ways foretold by the photographs taken that fateful night.

TCMF-2L
Old 10-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Although it is a bit of a stretch to call Blade Runner a horror film, Deckard lives in a flat full of photographs. This is a key clue that suggests he is a replicant himself since it is mentioned in the film replicants covet photographs as an emotional reinforcement to their fake / missing past.

The film also has a famous scene with Deckard using advanced technology to analyse a photograph for clues.

TCMF-2L
Old 10-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Another Stephen King book and film. In It Pennywise the Clown is seen in various old photographs.

TCMF-2L
Old 10-05-2015, 03:16 AM
1. There are photos at the end of the movie "The Craft" which start to move when the main character gets control of her powers. But, the photos themselves are pretty ordinary, it's the moving bit that's supposed to be creepy.

2. In the movie "Dead Again" (I think, I might be mis-remembering the title), one of the reincarnated characters has made a bunch of paintings (and sculptures and other artistic items) of scissors.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:22 AM
Ooh, here's another one, although I don't know if this counts as horror. In the Dr. Who episode "Vincent and the Doctor" one of Van Gogh's paintings has a creature inside a house. There might be other altered Van Gogh paintings in there, but I can't remember.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:23 AM
It doesn't play a major part in the movie, but the painting in Manos: The Hands of Fate is certainly creepy.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:00 PM
One that's creepy on its own, but that I've also seen in some horror/suspense films is Goya's Saturn Devouring His Son.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
Did anyone ever do a talkie version of another short story from the same collection, The Road Virus Goes North? That prominently features a spooky painting. Might be too obscure though.
I was going to mention this one. And they adapted some of King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes into a miniseries a few years ago. While Road Virus wasn't in that book, it was included in the series.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:37 PM
In the original The Omen movie, there's a photographer who realizes that when he takes pictures of people who are about to die, a black mark appears on the photo. The closer it is to their death, the longer the mark appears. The mark starts at the neck, so it gives a somewhat noose-like feel.

Then the photographer takes a picture of himself in the mirror and there's a black mark.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Blowup

Last edited by purplehearingaid; 10-05-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post

I know exactly the photos you mean so I looked at the Burnt Offerings link, Mr mutt. No photos of the family, but plenty of scary ass Karen "I've been waiting for you Ben" Black . Oh, and a shot of her at the end of Trilogy of Terror.. . . <shudder>

note to self: don't click on the link when you know the movie contains oogie images.