Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 10-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 20,471
Fuck me, I'm an idiot for subscribing to Time Warner Cable

For the last year, I've had problems with getting channels. Quite often channels that are included in my subscription, such as Turner Classic Movies, Fox Sports 1, etc., show as "___ is currently unavailable. Try again later." For non-sports channels, this issue is a matter of less than an hour, sometimes a bit more.

Sports channels are different though. I should have known by now, especially given that the sports channels don't show up when they are showing actual live sports, that I'd have a problem getting the baseball playoffs. Well, I didn't know that. I didn't know that because I hoped that TWC would miraculously get it right just in time. Hah, hah. I'm a fucking numbskull.

I spent some time this afternoon chatting with a TWC rep (who was very helpful, attempted her damn best to fix it), and the end result was that every time I tried to go to FS1 and watch baseball, I got the Golf Channel. Fucking GOLF? Seriously?

I've decided that I'm better off having only over the air TV than fucking Time Warner. I can't believe that I was so stupid as to expect them to show me a channel that is included in my subscription.
#2
Old 10-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Queens
Posts: 12,083
TWC has one selling point: Dish and DirectTV don't offer high speed internet. It's either TWC or DSL for most of their coverage area. That is why TWC's motto is "We're better than Comcast, at least."
#3
Old 10-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: NC
Posts: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
For the last year, I've had problems with getting channels. Quite often channels that are included in my subscription, such as Turner Classic Movies, Fox Sports 1, etc., show as "___ is currently unavailable. Try again later." For non-sports channels, this issue is a matter of less than an hour, sometimes a bit more.

Sports channels are different though. I should have known by now, especially given that the sports channels don't show up when they are showing actual live sports, that I'd have a problem getting the baseball playoffs. Well, I didn't know that. I didn't know that because I hoped that TWC would miraculously get it right just in time. Hah, hah. I'm a fucking numbskull.

I spent some time this afternoon chatting with a TWC rep (who was very helpful, attempted her damn best to fix it), and the end result was that every time I tried to go to FS1 and watch baseball, I got the Golf Channel. Fucking GOLF? Seriously?

I've decided that I'm better off having only over the air TV than fucking Time Warner. I can't believe that I was so stupid as to expect them to show me a channel that is included in my subscription.
What kind of cable box do you have? Provided by TWC or 3rd party like TiVo?

Is your market using switched digital cable signal?
#4
Old 10-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 20,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
TWC has one selling point: Dish and DirectTV don't offer high speed internet. It's either TWC or DSL for most of their coverage area. That is why TWC's motto is "We're better than Comcast, at least."
I get internet through U-Verse. I haven't subscribed to their TV because they charge extra for HD. (Also because I bought a modem for internet service, and if I switch to internet and TV, my one-year-old purchased modem is no longer usable. I have to rent one from them that works for both. Also pretty fucking irritating, I must say.)
#5
Old 10-08-2015, 09:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 20,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
What kind of cable box do you have? Provided by TWC or 3rd party like TiVo?

Is your market using switched digital cable signal?
I dunno. The box is provided by TWC, but it's not TIVO or anything. It doesn't record shows; it's just a cable box.
#6
Old 10-09-2015, 12:34 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 32,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
TWC has one selling point: Dish and DirectTV don't offer high speed internet. It's either TWC or DSL for most of their coverage area. That is why TWC's motto is "We're better than Comcast, at least."
If by "better than Comcast" you mean a company that tied to merge with and have a noncompete clause with Comcast.
#7
Old 10-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: KC MO or there abouts
Posts: 5,468
TW works pretty well in my area (Greater Kansas City).......at least now it does.

Within the last 6 months TW has improved my cable reception and more than tripled my download speed (7Mbps to 30Mbps) with an offer to crank that speed up to 100Mbps.

Coincidentally in the last six months Google Fiber has been laying glass in my region. In the last few days the Google contractors have been in my neighborhood extending service from the distribution blocks to homes and yesterday afternoon the contractor landed the fiber to a new customer service box hanging off the side of my house.

I wonder if those two actions are related?

Within the next few weeks I'll have Google Fiber installed at 1000 Mbps and I'll be thanking TW for years of modest performance when they could have quite easily offered better.
#8
Old 10-09-2015, 11:18 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Smurf Village.
Posts: 10,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
For the last year, I've had problems with getting channels. Quite often channels that are included in my subscription, such as Turner Classic Movies, Fox Sports 1, etc., show as "___ is currently unavailable. Try again later."
I get this sometimes too with Cox. After it happening several times and waiting for hours sometimes for it to come back I called and bitched about it and the rep. said to unplug the box so it resets. It worked. So I do that whenever it happens. Sometimes I have to reset it twice.
#9
Old 10-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
I wonder if those two actions are related?
Interesting!! Now that you mention it, TWC's internet upgrade in this area followed very closely on the heels of the announcement that Google Fiber would be coming to the Raleigh area (though not all the way to Wake Forest, sadly).

I'm still with TWC for internet only because of the speed they offer...the only other available services for my neighborhood are somewhere around 5 Mbps or less. I switched to DirecTV a couple of years ago after I got back from vacation to find that Time Warner's shitty equipment had failed, costing me two weeks of recordings. I'm close enough to the major broadcasters that a $40 indoor HD antenna is enough to ensure I still have local channels during bad storms (when you should turn your electronics off anyway!) or ice/snow buildup (rare!).
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: land of ta orange squash drink pompom gun dryer perm press what is sugr.swf levi's back pocket xylophone tab mexican papi bejesus origin possum lodge marble falls az color dry ice barefoot sexy spanish punta serious inquiries only knife stabbing heart sleep over boy honda element equivalent anice hotel orlando bruises with knots densest metals existentialist poetry pump start card tag motorcycle songs about seventeen pi square bankruptcy forums dominos hamburger pizza define betty wart scab does chloroform macy's sucks mio drink mixer pellet vs bb night owl batman bug bites on genital area what do you call people from oregon cone vs flat coffee filter do i need an air gap if i have a garbage disposal vomiting after giving blood can helicopters go upside down how fast does blood regenerate why do diesel engines last longer dry socket pain scale ink a bink a bottle of ink driving off with gas pump hose still attached is bose worth it what does coupe de ville mean belt squeal when starting bow chicka bow bow music sell auto parts on amazon us navy white hat what is a bosun's mate how to get rid of owls smearing feces behavior in adults how long does it take someone to drown 50 pence to dollars avenue q gary coleman best premixed long island iced tea difference between 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder automotive battery memory saver how far is the sun from the center of the galaxy why is my nose tingling on the outside joe coffey hill street blues how hard is p90x can i use google voice on a phone without service legality of selling fan art