Old 11-16-2015, 06:09 PM
I inherit a 400 oz bar of Swastika stamped Nazi Gold from WWII - Can I sell it on ebay?

I was viewing this fascinating wiki on a huge Nazi gold cache discovered at the end of WWII and I wondered what would happen if I somehow came into possession of a 400 troy oz bar of gold with a Nazi stamp on it. If I put it on eBay could I sell it the same way people sell regular old gold bars? Would it have a premium value because of it's history?
Old 11-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Are you serious? Did you really inherit 400 oz of gold. Or do you know of someone who did?

If you did, I would be extremely careful about selling it. It is worth a whole lot of money and many people would think of ways they could cheat you or rob you. I would go visit a reputable dealer and speak to them in private and only if you feel comfortable, you can proceed to arrange for the sale.

But I think you must be joking or at least asking a hypothetical. If not, be very careful Do not ever advertise that much gold for sale on Craigslist for example. You can just bet that someone will try to take advantage of you and violence would not be out of the question.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 11-16-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Charter Member
I was going to say that you might run afoul of eBay's Nazi materials policy, but after reading it, I'm not sure. Nazi currency is allowed, but not Nazi propaganda. I'm not sure where Nazi gold would fall.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Per my OP it's a hypothetical
Quote:
I was viewing this fascinating wiki on a huge Nazi gold cache discovered at the end of WWII and I wondered
If I really had a 400 oz bar of WWII gold I would not be posting it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
Are you serious? Did you really inherit 400 oz of gold. Or do you know of someone who did?

If you did, I would be extremely careful about selling it. It is worth a whole lot of money and many people would think of ways they could cheat you or rob you. I would go visit a reputable dealer and speak to them in private and only if you feel comfortable, you can proceed to arrange for the sale.

But I think you must be joking or at least asking a hypothetical. If not, be very careful Do not ever advertise that much gold for sale on Craigslist for example. You can just bet that someone will try to take advantage of you and violence would not be out of the question.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:28 PM
Quote:
That would make for an interesting Craigs List ad.

12.4 kg Nazi gold bar - Local pick up - No trades - Serious Buyers only!
Old 11-16-2015, 06:42 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
That would make for an interesting Craigs List ad.

12.4 kg Nazi gold bar - Local pick up - No trades - Serious Buyers only!
"Cash Only...! Small denominations...! Must come alone because I be a-scared...!"

Reply to [email protected]
Old 11-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Charter Member
How'd you know my email address?
Old 11-16-2015, 06:55 PM
BANNED
You wouldn't sell it to an individual. You'd sell it to one of those "we buy gold" professional firms. They would melt it down. You'd email them and get a quote on the price per ounce without disclosing how much gold you have.

Or, you'd have it held in escrow by an insured handler of valuable stuff like this, and a professional auction house would sell it off to wealthy people. The fact that it is Nazi gold means it has a higher market value than the raw metal. I think in most countries it is perfectly legal to sell it, with the exception of Germany. It's a straightforward process. Stash it in a safe deposit box in a bank until you decide who to sell it to, so nobody can come to your house and rob you.

Last edited by Habeed; 11-16-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Does the likelihood that the Nazis obtained the gold illegally affect the legality of selling it?
Old 11-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
..... you might run afoul of eBay's Nazi materials policy, but after reading it, I'm not sure. Nazi currency is allowed, but not Nazi propaganda. I'm not sure where Nazi gold would fall.
This comes up with collectible 1930's German radios (Volksempfnger) that are related to my hobby interest and have the Swastika logo. Generally sellers blur out that part of their photos, everyone knowledgable knows what they're looking at, and there's no problem.

If this was an actual sale I'd be more concerned about being ripped off through Paypal.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:09 PM
born to be shunned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
I was going to say that you might run afoul of eBay's Nazi materials policy, but after reading it, I'm not sure. Nazi currency is allowed, but not Nazi propaganda. I'm not sure where Nazi gold would fall.
Assuming you had such a thing --- stamps, coins and related (but not military/Party) medals are allowed. I would go with one or two of the bullion/world coins categories. I've sold a few Third Reich coins and they usually pull a better price on eBay than they would in a shop or local coin show.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Charter Member
The value of the raw gold is more than $400,000 at today's prices. I would personally have it melted down (or melt it myself) into much smaller bars and sell it to different dealers at spot prices over time. I suspect a single large gold bar embossed with a Nazi logo and authenticated is probably worth a good deal more than that but the number of buyers is small, you have to provide a chain of ownership for the authentication to be legit and there are serious tax implications as well.

I am not suggesting that people cheat but gold is very easy to melt and reform so that becomes a pure commodity that is virtually untraceable as long as you don't try to unload too much of it at once.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
The value of the raw gold is more than $400,000 at today's prices. I would personally have it melted down (or melt it myself) into much smaller bars and sell it to different dealers at spot prices over time. I suspect a single large gold bar embossed with a Nazi logo and authenticated is probably worth a good deal more than that but the number of buyers is small, you have to provide a chain of ownership for the authentication to be legit and there are serious tax implications as well.

I am not suggesting that people cheat but gold is very easy to melt and reform so that becomes a pure commodity that is virtually untraceable as long as you don't try to unload too much of it at once.
This is what I was thinking. How are you going to prove that you actually have a World War II relic rather than a gold bar that you cast with a swastika last week?

There might also be legal issue over ownership. A lot of Nazi gold was illegal loot and the real owners have been filing claims for their stolen property since the war ended.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:56 PM
You could melt it down and have it made into fillings.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:48 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you're making a reference to where the gold might have come from originally. Ditto with gold bullion printed at certain years during the Nazi regime. Probably at least a few bits of the gold in the coin stolen from murdered corpses.

Disturbing...but probably raises the sale value of the item...

Last edited by Habeed; 11-17-2015 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:55 AM
BANNED
Is a stamped gold bar considered currency ?

I wonder if the Nazi stamp would make it more valuable than the melt weight ?
Old 11-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
This is what I was thinking. How are you going to prove that you actually have a World War II relic rather than a gold bar that you cast with a swastika last week?
Get it carbon-dated.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:57 PM
sell it to a collector not ebay u will prob get deleted maybe arrested
Old 11-17-2015, 02:00 PM
wf tomba thats why im thinking the poster may get arrested.
Im sure i read the people who found the nazi gold train got arested or maybe im imagining it im not sure.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habeed View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you're making a reference to where the gold might have come from originally. Ditto with gold bullion printed at certain years during the Nazi regime. Probably at least a few bits of the gold in the coin stolen from murdered corpses.

Disturbing...but probably raises the sale value of the item...
Don't touch that, it's been in someone's mouth!
Old 11-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyxx View Post
wf tomba thats why im thinking the poster may get arrested.
Im sure i read the people who found the nazi gold train got arested or maybe im imagining it im not sure.
There is no evidence it was a gold train though.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Quote:

If I really had a 400 oz bar of WWII gold I would not be posting it here.
But Astro, surely you trust us?
Old 11-17-2015, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
You are so going to hell for that.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Sell it and donate the proceeds to any of the various Holocaust charities, if they'd have it. I'm not keeping that money, though.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:37 PM
I'd go through Sotheby's rather than eBay for something like that I think.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:36 PM
Take it to the guys at "Pawn Stars".
Old 11-18-2015, 12:56 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Get it carbon-dated.
That's better than my plan. I was going to cut it in half and count the rings.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Quote:
That's better than my plan. I was going to cut it in half and count the rings.
You could show it to your golf buddy.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lebodnik View Post

Looks real- I can probably give you fifty bucks for it, but before I make you that offer, lemme call my buddy- he's a Nazi.

Last edited by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup; 11-18-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Or run it past the Antique Road Show.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:22 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Sell it and donate the proceeds to any of the various Holocaust charities, if they'd have it.
I'm not too sure they would take $400,000. Who would?

Quote:
I'm not keeping that money, though.
Same here. I'm spending it.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:50 PM
born to be shunned
Quote:
Actually their policy is to stay away from almost anything Nazi related; especially anything with political overtones. If you follow the show, they have turned down (not made any offer) various picture albums and a lot of other things related to the Third Reich. Their only weakness seems to be some of the electronics.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:50 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I was viewing this fascinating wiki on a huge Nazi gold cache discovered at the end of WWII and I wondered what would happen if I somehow came into possession of a 400 troy oz bar of gold with a Nazi stamp on it. If I put it on eBay could I sell it the same way people sell regular old gold bars? Would it have a premium value because of it's history?

I was selling some American WWII stuff on eBay for a friend, and I've received a message from a guy who wants me to contact him privately via email if I ever come across any swastika items.

Just so you know.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Quote:
There might also be legal issue over ownership. A lot of Nazi gold was illegal loot and the real owners have been filing claims for their stolen property since the war ended.
Even assuming that a specific gold bar was made using stolen gold, how could the link be established? Once melted, there's no way to know where the gold was originally coming from. If the bar was stolen, it would probably be the property of Germany.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WF Tomba View Post
Does the likelihood that the Nazis obtained the gold illegally affect the legality of selling it?
The Nazis didn't obtain the gold illegally. During the 3rd Reich, it was perfectly legal for the Nazi government to confiscate gold in the form of bullion, coins, jewelry, dental fillings, and fancy dinnerware from Jews in Germany and other occupied countries. And I don't doubt that there are those who will pay more for Nazi gold "confiscated" from murdered Jews than for gold that was collected in the more traditional ways (panning or mining). I think it's the panache or something.

As for the morality? It's the seller's and buyer's conscience, not mine.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:06 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
The Nazis didn't obtain the gold illegally. During the 3rd Reich, it was perfectly legal for the Nazi government to confiscate gold in the form of bullion, coins, jewelry, dental fillings, and fancy dinnerware from Jews in Germany and other occupied countries. And I don't doubt that there are those who will pay more for Nazi gold "confiscated" from murdered Jews than for gold that was collected in the more traditional ways (panning or mining). I think it's the panache or something.

As for the morality? It's the seller's and buyer's conscience, not mine.
Sure, it was legal under Nazi laws, but so was gassing millions of people. A swastika-emblazoned trinket like a dinner plate or lapel pin is one thing, but the phrase 'Nazi gold' itself is practically a synonym for heinously stolen war booty.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Have you ever read an OP in its entirety, Charlie? "I wondered what would happen if". Does that sound like a real situation? "I wondered what would happen if". Read it again. "I wondered what would happen if".

Quote:
But I think you must be joking or at least asking a hypothetical.
Ya think?
Old 11-22-2015, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
The value of the raw gold is more than $400,000 at today's prices. I would personally have it melted down (or melt it myself) into much smaller bars and sell it to different dealers at spot prices over time ... I am not suggesting that people cheat but gold is very easy to melt and reform so that becomes a pure commodity that is virtually untraceable as long as you don't try to unload too much of it at once.
This wouldn't really be a good idea. For the sake of argument, let's leave out the swasticker stuff and it was just a plain old 400 oz. bar. Good problem to have! These are known as "Good delivery" bars and have to meet certain standards for weight and fineness. They don't always weigh exactly 400 oz (Troy) but within a range.

They don't normally leave the exchange once they have been authenticated and assayed and serial numbered and all that. Once they do, nobody will touch them. At least not at their actual melt value, not until they have been authenticated and/or assayed again.

If you walk into a metals buyer, coin shop etc with home-made bars he may buy them, but only at a hefty discount to the spot price. Maybe scrap gold prices, it would be a big hit. Maybe to some people it wouldn't matter, easy come easy go. This is why the .999 pure coins are so popular, there is no assay required and they will always fetch the best prices, sometimes even over spot when demand is high.